Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 981-983: Butsumetsu

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

981 spoiler pics: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4884486812?pn=1 (Black Demon did this for the last case thread, so I'm following suit—please let me know if it's only alright when a mod like Black Demon does it so I can remove this link)

Summary by Spimer from DCTP:

Heiji apparently wanted to do something but Conan suggets that today isn't the best of days to do so: when Heiji checks the date Amuro pops in and says it's Friday the 13th

An unknown man then tells them about why Friday the 13th is said to bring bad luck. He speaks of the extermination of the Order of Templar Knights and how an advisor of Ricard the 3rd was suspected of rebellion and executed, and how it's also believed that the day in which Brutus assassinated Julius Caesar also was a Friday the 13th.

And it also turns out that this Friday 13th is also "Bukumetsu" or the day of Buddha's death, considered by Asians to be one of the unluckiest days ever.

It's quite interesting. I don't think that Gosho Aoyama has ever done this before, making a name box with ???-signs. Could this be a sign that we have to keep a eye on this guy?

I have given the idea of Wakita being Rum some thoughts. He could be spying on Kogoro, because of what Gin said about Kogoro being a demon that might need to be finished off. But if he was Rum, then why would he be in the sushi restaurant, when the organization already had Bourbon close on Kogoro? Maybe to view Kogoro himself?

On 3/12/2016 at 3:53 AM, DCUniverseAficionado said:

981 spoiler pics: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4884486812?pn=1 (Black Demon did this for the last case thread, so I'm following suit—please let me know if it's only alright when a mod like Black Demon does it so I can remove this link)

It's more that the amount of spoiler pics for the last case and this file aren't that many to warrant not posting the link imho (unless another mod disagrees which we can discuss about this matter). We're just being cautious not to get involved in potential legal problems which have happened before. As long as you don't link to a full file I think it's allowable (unless the spoilers are like 3/4 of a file like that one time during the Akai family case which is also a no-no).

10 hours ago, Black Demon said:

It's more that the amount of spoiler pics for the last case and this file aren't that many to warrant not posting the link imho (unless another mod disagrees which we can discuss about this matter). We're just being cautious not to get involved in potential legal problems which have happened before. As long as you don't link to a full file I think it's allowable (unless the spoilers are like 3/4 of a file like that one time during the Akai family case which is also a no-no).

Thanks for the clarification. :)

EDIT:

981 text spoilers, translated by Spimer from DCTP:

File 981: Killing time at Café Poirot

Ran gets a photo sent to her cellphone which depicts a beautiful illumination. Kazuha sends it, she's coming with Heiji to go see that illumination that's in Ginza and they'll drop by the detective agency.

Ran argues that she hasn't finished cooking Kogoro's dinner so Kazuha agrees to help her out while Conan and Heiji go downstairs to the Poirot so as to kill time at Kazuha's suggerence.

Heiji then asks Conan is he's got nothing to ask and Conan begrudgingly replies that he knows what Heiji wants to say.

The girls get engrossed in their chit-chat and forget to add the soup to the meat and potaoes dish so they decide to cook curry instead

Meanwhile, Conan asks Heiji if he's sure that today's a good day to talk about what Heiji wants to say because it's Friday the 13th. 

Amuro shows up and says that they're in Japan and, in terms of probabilities, there are a couple of bad days per year. He encourages Heiji to bring out whatever he wants to say but

But a mysterious customer sitting next to them butts into their conversation and enumerates some examples of disgraces that've happened in Friday the 13th. He also days that today is "Butsumetsu" or the day of Buddha's death. 

Conan and the others are taken aback by the sudden apperance of this man the presence of which they didn't catch up.

Shortly afterwards, a college student part of a theater club who'd booked a table in the café shows up. He asks if his pals have already come. When he gets told they aren't here yet he says he doesn't feel well and heads to the toilet. A few minutes later, the student's girlfriend and her chilhood friend (a guy) show up. And after another few minutes a friend of the student also comes. The relationships between the guys and the woman of the group doesn't seem to be too friendly, though.

This group had built a theather stage using the café Poirot as base a year ago to enact a play. Amuro wasn't around the previous year so Azusa explains that she took part into the acting. 

The student's friend says he wants to complete a birthday video for the girlfriend so the childhood friend tries to check it out with a note PC yet the PC doesn't turn on. He asks Azusa to lend him an extension power strip. He plugs it into the electrical outlet but it triggers a short-circuit and a blackout ensues.

Amuro asks Azura to pull up the breakers but the childhood friend suddenly groans: blood splashes fly around and stain Conan's and Heiji's faces. The student who was in the toilet comes out asking what this fuss is about they find that the girlfriend's childhood friend has a blade stabbed into him from behind and is dead.

Side-note: "A tragedy has happened at Café Poirot... The detectives take on the case!!"

No break next week (12/12–12/16)—so expect 982 spoiler pics on 12/9—but there will be a break the week after that (12/19–12/23).

I'm not believing in 'the Mystery man is the Akai father'-theory, but I have thought about it. If it is true, then maybe he was following Conan, because he somehow knows of Akai Shuichi's suppose death and knows that Conan was involved and is trying to find out more. Maybe he butts in the Friday 13th-conversation is because the day of Akai's 'death' was on a Friday 13th and he is trying to see how Conan reacts.

3 hours ago, Black Demon said:

(Since this issue is a double issue there will be a break next week.)

Meaning we can expect 983 spoilers on the 23rd.

Given that the issue 983 will come out is also a double issue, we can also expect 984 spoilers on January 6th (unless Gosho decides to take a "gathering info" break, on top of the double issue break, in which case we can expect 984 spoilers on January 13th).

So:

File 983 spoilers: 12/23

File 984 spoilers: 1/6 or 1/13

On a side note...

I apologize for the incorrect spelling of the title of this thread—it should be spelled "Butsumetsu," not "Bukumestu."

And I would've named it "Killing Time at Café Poirot," but 981's title hadn't yet been translated, when I made the thread.

If this chapter is taking place on Friday 13th

Gosho said in his latest interview that it has been a year since the shrinking incident took place (13th jan. 1994)

So this means that it's Friday 13th of january 1995!

I wonder if he is planning to make chapter 1000 happen on the same day (Friday 13th jan 1995)

1 hour ago, Hanfois said:

If this chapter is taking place on Friday 13th

Gosho said in his latest interview that it has been a year since the shrinking incident took place (13th jan. 1994)

So this means that it's Friday 13th of january 1995!

I wonder if he is planning to make chapter 1000 happen on the same day (Friday 13th jan 1995)

This is not how a floating timeline works. 

There is no "year", because it is always the "current year" 

16 hours ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

This is not how a floating timeline works. 

There is no "year", because it is always the "current year" 

Even if Gosho didn't say that in the interview.

This is the 2nd Friday 13th in the manga!

If you check the calendar back to 1994~1995 you'll find that

1st friday 13th was in May 1994 (Clash of Black and Red arc)

2nd one  is Friday 13th january 1995 (Current arc)

And the shrinking incidence happened on 13th of jan. 1994  as you can see in the 1st chapter (Thanks to Spimer's translation) is it a coincidence?

14646714_1266421473422310_2086438254_o.j

5 minutes ago, Hanfois said:

Even if Gosho didn't say that in the interview.

This is the 2nd Friday 13th in the manga!

If you check the calendar back to 1994~1995 you'll find that

1st friday 13th was in May 1994 (Clash of Black and Red arc)

2nd one  is Friday 13th january 1995 (Current arc)

The Clash Arc took place in January at the end of Ran's winter vacation. The three patients that were suspected of being the BO mole in the hospital, entered the hospital on Dec 18, Dec 19, and Dec 21 respectively. Akai makes a comment about it being less that 20 days since the Dec 21st old man arrived at the hospital, that he wanted to stay more than 20 days to get the special insurance certificate. Then there is a few days time gap between the return of Rena and the start of the case where Camel was a suspect, allowing it to be Jan 13th. The year is never mentioned in that arc. In fact, a few chapters before Clash is a New Years chapter. 

There is no timeline in this series. Its a floating timeline, which means that it forever takes place in the current day. 

Also here is a note from Wikipedia :  The 13th day of the month is slightly more likely to be a Friday than any other day of the week. On average, there is a Friday the 13th once every 212.35 days (compared to Thursday the 13th, which occurs only once every 213.59 days).

Meaning that there can be more than one Friday the 13th in one year. 

• Upvote 1

Detective Conan FILE 981-982 Review/Discussion

Case Deduction

So we have three suspects:

981-982%2B1.png981-982%2B2.png981-982%2B3.png

...And one victim,....who btw didn't die:

981-982%2B4.png

Oozumi(first pic) was in the bathroom the whole time, Yui was sitting across Anzai(victim) and Minoru(third pic) was sitting next to Anzai. Blackout happens, stabbing takes place, lights turns back on and Anzai is on the ground(fourth pic).

So, I'll just cut to the chase here...
The culprit is Oozumi.

The blackout was already explained. The moment that Anzai plugged in his laptop into the extension cord, it resulted a blackout, due to a steel wire being wrapped around the plug.

981-982%2B5.png

Oozumi's alibi is the CCTV, Which proved that he was inside the bathroom the whole time up until the blackout. He came to the cafe earlier than his companions and went straight to the bathroom, meaning that he never saw his companions enter the cafe and sit. Since there was only a small circular frosted glass(which u can't see through due to the refraction of light) on the bathroom door, he had no way of knowing where Anzai was seated during the blackout. He also didn't have any blood on his hands.

981-982%2B6.png

First of all, let's get this out of the way. If Oozumi knew where Anzai was seated, even during darkness, he can still get to him from the bathroom. The reason for that is simply because Oozumi and his companions are a part of the theatre club, and their former leader had made an exact model copy of the Poirot Cafe for a set to their play. Because of that, Oozumi was already prepared to walk in darkness, since he knows the layout of the cafe.

981-982%2B7.png

Because of his knowledge of the café design, he was even able to prepare for the frosted glass on the bathroom door. There is a simple trick to see through frosted glass. This was something that even Wada hinted at through his poem:

981-982%2B8.png

"the moonlight is bright and clear and is finding ways through the riven clouds" is referring to that Oozumi found a way to let light pass through the frosted glass without resulting a blur, in other words, making the glass more transparent and clearer in order to see through it and find out where Anzai is sitting. The trick to doing that is by using clear tape!
By taping frosted glass with clear tape, it will let light shine through the glass without it ending up refracting, and thus making the glass you see through the tape more transparent. The clear tape he used for the trick is the same ones he had used to tape the wrappings for his birthday present to Yui.

981-982%2B9.png

As for how he was able to avoid getting blood on his hands, it could have been by using gloves after taking off his jacket. That way, he will avoid leaving fingerprints on the knife as well, and if blood got on his shirt, it will only blend in with its color.

So in short,...
Oozumi came in with the knife hidden inside his jacket. He then entered the bathroom and took off his jacket. he waited until Anzai arrived at the cafe, and took the clear tape from his present and taped it over the frosted glass. After seeing where Anzai is sitting, he put the tape back on the present and wore his gloves. When the blackout happened, he went out with the knife and stabbed Anzai. After leaving the knife, he quickly hurried back to the bathroom and flushed the gloves in the toilet. he then put his jacket on and went out of the bathroom.

The motive of the murder might be due to a misunderstanding of the secret Yui is hiding. What's being interpreted as "cheating", could be something like a former relationship Yui had with Anzai. Maybe he even proposed to her, but something happened that inevitably lead to Oozumi unknowingly get in-between them. Since she said to Conan that her secret is protecting someone, it's most likely referring to Oozumi's feelings(because he might feel guilty about it and unsure about their current relationship).

981-982%2B10.png

Plot Discussion

So we got introduced to another plot-potential character. He calls himself "Wada Shinichi" and claims to be a medical personnel.

981-982%2B11.png

Besides the fact that he is knowledgeable and figured out the case before the rest of the Detectives("Rumi-style"), it's worth noting his stealthy capabilities. When he butted in on Amuro and Heiji's conversation, Conan and Heiji, as perceptive as they are, didn't even notice him, or feel his presence.

981-982%2B12.png

Since he clearly didn't seem to be hiding from them, the silent way he came in was probably something he did out of habit, meaning that he must be a highly trained secret investigator or break-in/infiltration expert, or anything that requires stealth and sneakiness. As for his identity, it's hard to tell anything at the moment, but Conan reacted to his name, as if it ringed a bell. Maybe he recognized "Wada".

981-982%2B13.png

It's possible that he is connected to another character that shares the same surname, and that's Wada Hina. She was recently introduced(File 942) and even appeared in the "Episode ONE" special, and although she seems like a minor character, This new Shinichi(who looks like a plot-potential character) could still be related to her. If he's a good guy, which at the moment seems likely(based on his attitude and reactions), then he could be an agent.

981-982%2B14.jpgsHkNpbCT-TEszQd4Zryxw_PFt2Eic0gzPLMcEJIK

Something interesting I noticed is also the fact that Gosho is deliberately forcing Heiji away from the limelight of the main plot. So far, we have only seen him get involved in the legendary Vermouth arc and the investigation in the Kir arc. But now, as if it's for some future purpose, he was first indirectly dragged away from the Rum investigation, because Conan didn't think it was worth mentioning without enough info, and now, Heiji is being forced to stay oblivious to Bourbon's identity. It definitely makes me wonder how far this will go on and if there's any interesting developments awaiting Heiji in regards to the main plot.

981-982%2B16.png981-982%2B17.png

Lastly, what I want to address is the reference to the Iroha Sushi Restaurant case(File 975-977). Takagi mentioned it, and Amuro seemed to pick on it and get interested. As we know, Wakita, one of the Rum suspects, works there, so if Amuro is either interested enough to go there, or if he later asks Conan about that case and finds out about Kogoro's new apprentice, then this might be a foreshadowing to an upcoming meeting between them. If that were to happen, it could potentially shed some light on Wakita's character and confirm whether he is a BO member or not.

981-982%2B18.png

• Upvote 1

This is a pretty out there idea, but maybe this new guy isn't plot, but instead related to the movie character Momiji Ooka? This is a Hattori case, and the guy mentioned something to do with Hyakunin Isshu karuta, which is the sport Momiji Ooka is a champion in. Maybe she sent the guy as a stalker to keep Heiji and Kazuha from having a good time because, uh, vague handwavey women-can-be-creepy-and-possessive reasons? And he is telling her what is going on and listening to her through the earpiece? That might explain the sudden Hyakunin Isshu recital at the end of the case after listening to someone on the earpiece.

Also the guy's "fake" last name being the same as Ran's Hyde High rival Hina Wada is something to think about too. Both names he used are people connected to Ran, even though he spelled Shinichi differently.

Also, some "medical personnel" he is. He did jack to help the injured vic...

I dunno, I think I'm letting personal bias create excuses for this guy not to be a valid Rum suspect or main plot involved, because I don't want there to me more suspects than we already have... :P

+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|=|+|

Let’s talk case! I like the case so far. It's a simple, yet solid locked room setup and the first case to have me excited for a while now. I hope the solution is equally as good!

Here's my rundown as I see it.

The obvious reason why no one has blood on them is because either 1) the attempted murder was done at a relative distance, 2) The culprit used a shield that was quickly disposed of. Both are reasonable options, although the disposal one needs somewhere good to stash the shield which there are not many of in the store and personal belongings. To figure out which one was used, we need to examine the circumstances of the crime in greater detail.

Right away there is a contradiction to note. There was a massive splash of blood, yet the knife is mostly clean except for the tip. That’s pretty odd considering even Conan and Hattori got some. That suggests to me the knife was mostly shielded. If you tried to put a knife on a stick like a makeshift naginata or fired it on a crossbow, the blood would get even on the handle. So, I think the answer to the above question is that the shielded method was used.

(You could front a more complicated explanation, like the knife is a decoy and real weapon is something else, but then how would you get real fresh blood on it in the right pattern? Was the blood fake? That’s making things pretty complicated when usually the simplest explanation is the most likely.)

We also know blood splashes out from the wound when the knife in withdrawn. That means the direction of the stabbing was roughly from an angle arc covering Hattori's table to the table. That matches up with Tengo's posture art at the time of the blackout and apparent stabbing in the dark. I do notice Tengo seemed to be swiveling in the dark scene, like someone was behind him was grabbing for a reach-around stab…

So, I might as well cut right to the chase. I think Oozumi Meisuke came out of the bathroom in the dark to stab Anzai Tengo, with Yamashita Yui as an accomplice. He then retreated to the bathroom and tossed out the shield and the item he used to see through the frosted glass. The two practiced on the replica Poirot set.

Problem one: how Oozumi could see where everyone is sitting through a frosted window.

Solved with the scotch tape on his present for Yui. There are some cheats that let you look through frosted glass, but only if it is the right kind of frosted glass and you are on the right side of it. Assuming detective conan logic, the situation is almost always to the culprit's advantage. You simply paste the scotch tape on the rough side of the window.

Xst5JgI.gif

Then you can peel it off after peeking and toss it out. Then Oozumi waits for that weird computer boot up sound to alert him that it is go time soon.

Problem two: how Oozumi could avoid a blood splash.

Solved with Yui’s scarf, which she handed him in the dark. She took it off when she sat down, and then it was unaccounted for later in the crime scene investigation. Oozumi took it back with him into the bathroom. He could easily toss it out the bathroom window, a window that overlooks trashcans in an alley that Kogoro once climbed out of to run away from café Poirot in an earlier case (57-8 (594) p4. It's hard to tell, but I don't think the frosted glass existed at that time :P.)

Motive-wise, I think the previous theater club leader intended to shank someone, which explains why he built an exact set. He just never got to put his plan into practice and the other two took his idea for later use.

So, let’s rule out some other people. Shinichi Wada, although suspicious, was blocked by Amuro’s big fat butt in the only walking space between Hattori and Conan’s table and the bar. Nagatsuka Minoru could have done the stabbing with Yui as an accomplice, but had nowhere to dispose of any item to block the blood splash. Amuro, Azusa, Hattori, and Conan have no motive.

Edited by Chekhov MacGuffin
Picture link not working

9 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

This is a pretty out there idea, but maybe this new guy isn't plot, but instead related to the movie character Momiji Ooka? This is a Hattori case, and the guy mentioned something to do with Hyakunin Isshu karuta, which is the sport Momiji Ooka is a champion in. Maybe she sent the guy as a stalker to keep Heiji and Kazuha from having a good time because, uh, vague handwavey women-can-be-creepy-and-possessive reasons? And he is telling her what is going on and listening to her through the earpiece? That might explain the sudden Hyakunin Isshu recital at the end of the case after listening to someone on the earpiece.

Also the guy's "fake" last name being the same as Ran's Hyde High rival Hina Wada is something to think about too. Both names he used are people connected to Ran, even though he spelled Shinichi differently.

Also, some "medical personnel" he is. He did jack to help the injured vic...

I dunno, I think I'm letting personal bias create excuses for this guy not to be a valid Rum suspect or main plot involved, because I don't want there to me more suspects than we already have... :P

I get where you're coming from—quite frankly, it's on my list of probabilities, not just my list of possibilities. The 982 spoiler pics and file summary came out alongside Episode "One," a remake of DC's first case, which introduced our main character, Shinichi, and had Hina Wada in it, and, at the end, premiered the first trailer for Movie 21, which has Momiji, a Hyakunin Isshu champion, in it, and Hyakunin Isshu is apparently going to play a big role in it—quite the timing, if you ask me.

Even so, I'm expecting Shinichi Wada to be a plot character.

• Upvote 1

Of course the connection is there (maybe because Gosho helped greatly with the research for the movie script and is now recycling the new knowledge of Hyakunin Isshu), though the way this guy was set-up seems too badass/cool for Gosho to just have him be another character for the movie. Plus, he gave himself the localized name of Dr. Watson from the first Japanese translation of A Study in Scarlet before they also used the original names over there (even with the exact same kanji and with claiming to be medical personnel he even has a similar profession) and I really doubt that Gosho would give that to a character that is not relevant to the main plot of the manga but rather a side story that's currently more important for Movie 21.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Serinox said:

Of course the connection is there (maybe because Gosho helped greatly with the research for the movie script and is now recycling the new knowledge of Hyakunin Isshu), though the way this guy was set-up seems too badass/cool for Gosho to just have him be another character for the movie. Plus, he gave himself the localized name of Dr. Watson from the first Japanese translation of A Study in Scarlet before they also used the original names over there (even with the exact same kanji and with claiming to be medical personnel he even has a similar profession) and I really doubt that Gosho would give that to a character that is not relevant to the main plot of the manga but rather a side story that's currently more important for Movie 21.

Didn't know that. That's pretty clever.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:25 PM, Serinox said:

...he gave himself the localized name of Dr. Watson from the first Japanese translation of A Study in Scarlet before they also used the original names over there (even with the exact same kanji and with claiming to be medical personnel he even has a similar profession).

And Watson would be the type to relay deductions, not come up with them, himself... like relaying a hint in order to complete a deduction after hearing it from an earpiece.

If Shinichi Wada is this character's real name, then I'd say it's more likely that he was relaying that hint to Shinichi/Conan, Heiji and Rei/Toru from someone else (and that it's also more likely that he is to Hina what Shuichi is to Masumi). If Shinichi Wada is a false name that he came up with, then I'd say it's more likely that he did deduce the case himself, and (at least in this particular situation), is smarter than even Shinichi/Conan, Heiji and Rei/Toru.

4 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

And Watson would be the type to relay deductions, not come up with them, himself... like relaying a hint in order to complete a deduction after hearing it from an earpiece.

If Shinichi Wada is this character's real name, then I'd say it's more likely that he was relaying that hint to Shinichi/Conan, Heiji and Rei/Toru from someone else (and that it's also more likely that he is to Hina what Shuichi is to Masumi). If Shinichi Wada is a false name that he came up with, then I'd say it's more likely that he did deduce the case himself, and (at least in this particular situation), is smarter than even Shinichi/Conan, Heiji and Rei/Toru.

Or, He really was listening to music, and what he heard in the song(as mentioned in the side-notes) is that same poem, before the others, and then relayed those lyrics to them.

6 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

Or, He really was listening to music, and what he heard in the song(as mentioned in the side-notes) is that same poem, before the others, and then relayed those lyrics to them.

Realistically, what Japanese songs recite Hyakunin Isshu poems? And who just hangs out listening to music with one earbud in during a murder case? He's communicating with someone. Maybe Gosho will drop a hint in the third chapter. Again, my bet is the movie Momiji girl.