Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 978-980: Wakasa-sensei's home

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

978 spoiler pics: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4848686845

Summary courtesy of Spimer:

. File 978: Wakasa - sensei's home 

. Rumi and Kobayashi have brough the 1-A class to Rumi's apartment building to do a play of "Ikkyuu - san"

. We see a couple characters (Banno Teigo, 32, Pro golfer & Iiyama Kurumi, 29, profession text is cut off), Banno is a resident of the apartment building
. Banno seems to have had a successful golf carrer for some years in the US and is going to live there
. Iiyama seems to be a girlfriend he hung around with for a time, she thought Banno called him to part with her while it'd actually seem he wanted to invite her to come to the US with him 
. Banno says something (text is cut off) and when she asks what he said he shrugs it off
. Rumi seems to guess what'll happen next with those two given her expression

. Conan tells Haibara that when he was a kid he also had to play the role of "Ikkyuu - san" and Yukiko was persitent on him properly training for the role with Yuusaku looking on and making suggestions: Shinichi wasn't motivated but Yukiko insisted saying that if Shinichi doesn't do it right she'll be put to shame 

. At some point Rumi accidentally (or purposely) stains a tiger's foldable screen which was the background for the play with paint or some other liquid

. For some reason the group then enter another room where they find a Banno KO and Iiyama dead

. Banno is awakened and shows them a photo showing a woman's hand writing something on his face

. The side-note teases about Rumi doing something next file

No break next week. 

1 hour ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

Just curious where you read 978 to summarize it. Bato doesn't have it yet.

Usually about half a week before a chapter is released officially, people still manage to get their hands on it. Normally summaries of each chapter appear on the Friday or Saturday before its release on the website "2ch", a japanese message board website. However lately the chinese group that usually releases the chapter in chinese, has been releasing cropped images of the chapter on a chinese forum "baidu".

At this point both the summary and the cropped spoiler images are available. The raw file will probably be available online in the next day or so, followed by Yunnie's translation of the full chapter on her Tumblr page, then fully released in english to various manga reading websites.

Could it be possible that maybe the part of the picture was cut-out from another picture taken when the victim played that prank on the golf player. Af he had killed her, he might have hold up the cut-out between the camera and the body to make it appear that he been lying next to her when the picture was taken. If you take a closer look that his shoulder in the picture you would see that there something above it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Aries Bless said:

If you take a closer look that his shoulder in the picture you would see that there something above it.

Where ? I only see the shadow that his shoulder and hand cast on the floor. 

Just read the new chapter. It's fairly obvious now what the trick was.

Clearly the guy wrote the message on something in reverse and then transferred it to his own face, just as Genta accidentally got the tiger print transferred to his face. I'm also guessing, since Conan noted that the woman they saw in the hall was actually the guy in disguise. It was noted that other residents saw her and that she appeared on the security cameras multiple times. I think he killed the girlfriend, dressed as the mystery woman and came in an out a few times to make sure there were witnesses of the "culprit," made and transferred the writing, then activated the alarm to draw attention before putting on the unconscious act for whoever found him. There are just a couple things I struggle with, and if anyone has thoughts, I would love to hear them. First, the fact that he is laying on his right hand while the right hand of the "culprit" is in the picture. Second, writing in reverse is not as easy as it sounds, and usually comes out just as sloppy as the "a" hiragana Haibara drew on her own face. Third, how could he have disposed of the item he wrote the reversed characters on? If the mystery woman had the writing on her face already, someone would have noticed. If he covered it with makeup for the mystery woman disguise, it would have washed of with the makeup (it was a water based marker after all). That's what I think happened, I'm just hung on a few details. Ideas?

• Upvote 2

I have taken a look at the case again. Maybe the hand that was placed under the culprit's head in the picture was in fact the victim's, so his right hand was free. Of course he would have to remove makeup from the victim's hand afterward.

• Upvote 1

I just realized something. Take a look on the golf players right shoulder and look at the arm in the picture. The position of the arm doesn't make sense if the hand under his head was his own right hand. So that proves it's not his hand, that his head is lying on.

I went back and looked, and you guys are right.

Furthermore, if you go back to the previous chapter when Conan and co. first found him "unconscious," his position in relation to the body is different from what it is in the pictures. If you go back and look, when he was found, his body was almost in line with here with their faces nearly cheek to cheek (chapter 978, page 15, lower right panel; a really good overhead view of how he was found). Yet, the photo shows him at about a 45° angle to her body with the top of his head near her cheek, and he is just a little further away from her. Plus, the position of the arm under his head when he was found is slightly different from what is seen in the photo. In the photo, the angle of his shoulder makes the angle of "his" arm under his head impossible. At the same time, though, it can't be the dead chick's right hand under his head either as she is on her back, meaning her right hand is on the other side of her body. It could possibly be her left hand, but it's hard to tell as we can't see enough of the hand itself to determine whether it is right or left (though, from the little bit we can see, it is clearly palm up, from the shape I'm inclined to think it's a left hand, meaning the dead chick's). I'm still hung up on how he disposed of whatever he used to transfer the writing onto his face (and how he could write so perfectly in reverse to begin with), but with your help, I understand the hand trick now. Anyways ideas on the reversed writing or disposing of its source? Like I said, he couldn't take it with him to dispose of while disguised as the mystery woman as someone would have seen the writing on "her" face or it would have washed off with the makeup he had over it, so what did he do with it? And I still really struggle with the clarity of the reversed writing; the absolute best I have ever seen someone write in reverse comes out looking like it was written by a preschooler. Thoughts?

9 hours ago, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

Reveal hidden contents

Furthermore, if you go back to the previous chapter when Conan and co. first found him "unconscious," his position in relation to the body is different from what it is in the pictures. If you go back and look, when he was found, his body was almost in line with here with their faces nearly cheek to cheek (chapter 978, page 15, lower right panel; a really good overhead view of how he was found). Yet, the photo shows him at about a 45° angle to her body with the top of his head near her cheek, and he is just a little further away from her. Plus, the position of the arm under his head when he was found is slightly different from what is seen in the photo. In the photo, the angle of his shoulder makes the angle of "his" arm under his head impossible. At the same time, though, it can't be the dead chick's right hand under his head either as she is on her back, meaning her right hand is on the other side of her body. It could possibly be her left hand, but it's hard to tell as we can't see enough of the hand itself to determine whether it is right or left (though, from the little bit we can see, it is clearly palm up, from the shape I'm inclined to think it's a left hand, meaning the dead chick's). I'm still hung up on how he disposed of whatever he used to transfer the writing onto his face (and how he could write so perfectly in reverse to begin with), but with your help, I understand the hand trick now. Anyways ideas on the reversed writing or disposing of its source? Like I said, he couldn't take it with him to dispose of while disguised as the mystery woman as someone would have seen the writing on "her" face or it would have washed off with the makeup he had over it, so what did he do with it? And I still really struggle with the clarity of the reversed writing; the absolute best I have ever seen someone write in reverse comes out looking like it was written by a preschooler. Thoughts?

After going back to the file and rereading it, now I know for sure that the mystery woman is actually the guy. He put some cosmetics on his hand and because of that he left some traces on the door handle of the apartment. We know that Genta was the one who opened the door of the apartment and he unplugged the alarm wire. So there are some traces of makeup in his hand as well, and that explains the fact that Haibara and Ayumi noticed the smell of cosmetics coming from his hands. Conan also noted that the guy was as tall as the mystery woman so there's no doubt about that.

And as to why nobody noticed the writing on the mystery woman's face, it is because there was no writing on "her" face at that time. Maybe he wrote on his face after going back to the apartment.

I'm not sure about how he managed to do the reversed writing, but I think I know where he hid the source. Going back to File 979, Mitsuhiko and Genta went to take a look at the trophies he had. When Genta was trying to look at the bottom shelf, and there was a lot of clear files, the Golfer guy's reaction was kind of weird and it suspicious to me. So maybe the source is hidden there. 

I guess the only thing left is the reversed writing trick.

11 hours ago, Meitantei.Sherlock said:

Hide contents

And as to why nobody noticed the writing on the mystery woman's face, it is because there was no writing on "her" face at that time. Maybe he wrote on his face after going back to the apartment.

That was my point. When I was talking about nobody seeing the writing on the mystery woman's face, it was to show that he couldn't have disposed of whatever he used to transfer the writing onto his face while he was out of the apartment in disguise.

Going back to File 979, Mitsuhiko and Genta went to take a look at the trophies he had. When Genta was trying to look at the bottom shelf, and there was a lot of clear files, the Golfer guy's reaction was kind of weird and it suspicious to me. So maybe the source is hidden there. 

Good catch! I think you're probably right.

I guess the only thing left is the reversed writing trick.

I'm still hung up on this as well. I mean, I know how the trick worked. He wrote the words backwards and then transferred it to his face ever it appeared the right way. The problem is the clarity of the writing. I'm worried that Aoyama-sensei won't bother to explain why the guy was able to write so clearly in reverse. I mean, if he can come up with a reason that the guy has a history with writing backwards, that would work. Or even if this murder was planned out weeks in advance so he was able to practice writing that phrase in reverse over and over for hours on end until he could do it just right. But I'm worried there won't be any explanation at all.

Now, there is something else about this case that I have been thinking about a lot. Well, not the actual case so much as the events preceding it.

What I'm talking about, of course, is the events at Conan's school. When we last saw Wakasa Rumi before this case, she deftly handed three crooks their backsides, so it is entirely obvious he clumsiness is totally feigned. With that in mind, I find it odd and a little bit suspicious that she "accidentally" spilled paint on the tiger screen, which happened to result in Shonen Tantei going to her apartment (specifically them, rather than the whole class or any other students). At that point, I had a few possible scenarios running through my mind. The first possibility to occur to me goes along with my "Wakasa Rumi=Rum" theory (for my full theory, look at the last several posts on. I started thinking they would get back to her apartment she would either lure Haibara and/or Conan away from the others and take them or do something to them, or she would tell the others about calls from their parents so they had to go until she was alone with Haibara and/or Conan to do something bad to them. The next thought that hit me was related to the full theory I came up with, that Wakasa Rumi is not only Rum, but that Rum is Miyano Akemi, whose death was faked (for my full theory, look at the last several posts on the Rum discussion thread; there's a lot more to it than that, including a full explanation of how and why she would do this and, how it fits with everything, and even how I came up with the idea, but I won't bog this topic down with the whole thing). In this scenario, i expected either that Haibara would find something that reminded her of her sister and would vrow suspicious, or that Wakasa-sensei would take her aside and say something to her, convincing her to send the others home, then they would have their little reunion, and there are all sorts of directions things could go from there. The last thought to occur to me goes with the theory that Wakasa Rumi is Asaka, but not Rum, and is the one posting info about the Haneda Kohji case online. In that situation, I expected one of the kids would "accidentally" find something and, as soon as Conan saw it, he would figure out who she is, find his own excuse to hustle the kids out of there, then confront her himself for answers. But, what we get instead is everyone working innocently on the tiver, no discoveries in Rumi's apartment, no revelations about who she is, and suddenly there's a case, which halts everything until it's resolved. I actually feel a little disappointed; it seemed to be building it up for something to happen, then there's just another case. Maybe the case will somehow make Conan's Mind connect some information and/or something will be discovered after the case that will give us something. What do you guys think? Did this story lead to any expectations for a reveal, or at least a clue, about Wakasa Rumi? Do you think we'll get it in the next chapter? Anyways, go read my Rum theory if you have a few moments as I would like your opinions on that as well. Thanks guys!

980 spoiler pics out:

Rumi knocks out the golfer when he tries to attack after he's outed as the murderer. Shinichi/Conan gives her a suspicious look, complete with the "........." bubble. He's definitely caught on to her.

The following day, both Hyoue (making his first non-background appearance in 61 Files) and Kanenori are each looking at "heroic elementary school teacher Rumi Wakasa," after her actions land her on the news.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

And we have yet to know what...

Reveal hidden contents

...Wakita...

...said...

Now we do, since Yunnie Chan translated it:

Kanenori: "Hee... this one's really... quick-witted..."

And here's Yunnie Chan's TN (Translator's Note) for this line of his:

"Wakita uses ‘koitsu’ which is gender-neutral, thus maybe Aoyama wants to trick us into thinking he talks about Rumi, but probably he talks about Conan. So I’ll better use gender-neutral too :3 "

• Upvote 1

Some feeling tells me that we are in another Detective Nocturne arc

Rum will be revealed soon if that's true

I think RUM is one of the 3 suspects,but he is in disquise as a female

9 hours ago, Hanfois said:

Meaning Rum is Rumi?

EDIT:

980 text spoiler translation by Spimer from DCTP:

File 980: Pure white feelings

The white hand was the golfer's hand whitened with makeup, and he set up things so that it looked like someone else's hand
The reason he didn't touch his cheek when he was told he had something there was because he knew he'd written the text there

He said that the "love" kanji was the vic's writing but one normally can't tell it straight away if it's text reflected on a mirror
The golfer wrote that in a thin paper and painted the reverse with lipstick before sticking it to his cheek to create the trick 

Haibara grins since her prediction of a "fictional girlfriend" turned out to be true. Conan says the evidence must be inside of the golf bag: the golfer goes berserk and triesto attack Conan & co. 

Wakasa then pretends that she clumsily made the golfer trip and hits his cheek with the elbow thus KO'ing him. Some cameramen who'd come to cover the murder case take photos of her and make an article about her saying she was outstanding.

And some people read this article...

Side-note: "1st Division Superintendent Kuroda and the cook Wakita are very suspicious!? Next issue: What! The two dark-skinned detectives appear together...!!"

No break next week!

"Next issue: What! The two dark-skinned detectives appear together...!!"

Looks like Shinichi's/Conan's got a lot of explaining to do—he didn't really tell Heiji about the whole Bourbon situation...

Has he even told Heiji that Kir is CIA? Beyond Shinichi/Conan bringing him in due to Masumi, Heiji's really been kept out of the loop since the info he got his hands on led to the end of the Kir arc.

Though he could've already told him about both situations and we just didn't see that exchange, but I'm not so sure about that.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Hanfois said:

I have to disagree on that.

11 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

No break next week!

Reveal hidden contents

"Next issue: What! The two dark-skinned detectives appear together...!!"

Looks like Shinichi's/Conan's got a lot of explaining to do—he didn't really tell Heiji about the whole Bourbon situation...

Has he even told Heiji that Kir is CIA? Beyond Shinichi/Conan bringing him in due to Masumi, Heiji's really been kept out of the loop since the info he got his hands on led to the end of the Kir arc.

Though he could've already told him about both situations and we just didn't see that exchange, but I'm not so sure about that.

Spoiler

Yeah, We haven't gotten much update regarding what Heiji knows about Conan's status with the BO, ever since his contribution in the Kir arc. From the way Conan thought about involving Heiji in the Rum investigation, I'd say it's an indirect implication that Heiji knows what has happened up to the end of Bourbon arc, since I doubt Conan would debate on telling him about Rum if he's so out of the loop that he doesn't know about Kir and Bourbon.

I think I have found RUM, but I'm not sure: I think a effeminate woman means that RUM is a man disguised as a woman, in some scans it looks like wakasa is a man. When Kuroda and Wakita look wakasa, it means that they too are looking for RUM, Wakita asked Kogoro to be his disiple, it's probably to look for information on RUM

Has anyone notices that the three 'Rum' supsects, Rumi, Kuroda, Wataka, are placed at/near spots connected with Conan. Rumi is at the school he goes to. Kuroda is at the police station, where Conan is well-known to the police. And Wataka works at the sushi restaurant next to the detective bureau, where Conan lives. What do you think?

25 minutes ago, Aries Bless said:

Has anyone notices that the three 'Rum' supsects, Rumi, Kuroda, Wataka, are placed at/near spots connected with Conan. Rumi is at the school he goes to. Kuroda is at the police station, where Conan is well-known to the police. And Wataka works at the sushi restaurant next to the detective bureau, where Conan lives. What do you think?

How big it the possibility that all of them are RUM because RUM is actually a team?

Organization are checking Kogoro & Conan and other detectives, probably.

Well, the BO shouldn't be the one to check out Conan, since they don't know anything about him, so if Wakita is indeed a BO agent, he should be after Kogoro. It's highly unlikely that Rumi is Rum (or a BO agent in general) because of that as well, since the BO would have pretty much no reason to investigate him. Kuroda in the police HQ is too around the corner to specifically target Conan on the other hand.

15 hours ago, Serinox said:

Well, the BO shouldn't be the one to check out Conan, since they don't know anything about him, so if Wakita is indeed a BO agent, he should be after Kogoro. It's highly unlikely that Rumi is Rum (or a BO agent in general) because of that as well, since the BO would have pretty much no reason to investigate him. Kuroda in the police HQ is too around the corner to specifically target Conan on the other hand.

It's so unlikely that it will be a twist of they are actually a team.

One can only hope that plot will be moving forward instead constant stream of new BO member candidates...

7 hours ago, Kurara-chan said:

It's so unlikely that it will be a twist of they are actually a team.

One can only hope that plot will be moving forward instead constant stream of new BO member candidates...

Nah, the beginning of the arc is always a new stream of candidates, if the Bourbon arc is an good model. Expect late arrivals too. We are moving forward in the plot, it's just in info trickle mode and not action mode now.

• Upvote 1

On 11/26/2016 at 10:25 AM, MeiTanteixX said:

From the way Conan thought about involving Heiji in the Rum investigation, I'd say it's an indirect implication that Heiji knows what has happened up to the end of Bourbon arc, since I doubt Conan would debate on telling him about Rum if he's so out of the loop that he doesn't know about Kir and Bourbon.

Well, that certainly would be a nice, subtle way of revealing that.

Back during the Vermouth arc, Shinichi/Conan and Heiji had a conversation (which we didn't see) about the events of the Hotel Party Murder case (File 238–File 242/Episode 176–Episode 178)—in the English Teacher Vs. Great Western Detective case (File 341–File 343/Episode 277–Episode 278), they reference this conversation (which they must've had, sometime in that 100 File/100 Episode gap between these two cases) that we didn't see. So there's definitely a precedent for them (for audience benefit) talking about conversations they had that we weren't shown.

On 11/27/2016 at 11:56 AM, Kurara-chan said:

How big it the possibility that all of them are RUM because RUM is actually a team?

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Postcards#2016

Postcard2016_33.jpg

RUMは1人だよん(笑)

Rum is one person (laugh)

Please note—Gosho ended 33 of the 46 postcards from 2016 with (笑)/(laugh). So it's not a sign he's "just messing around" (just a point of notice for those unfamiliar with the postcards or the AC hints).

17 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

Nah, the beginning of the arc is always a new stream of candidates, if the Bourbon arc is an good model. Expect late arrivals too. We are moving forward in the plot, it's just in info trickle mode and not action mode now.

We're currently (as of File 980), 82 Files into the Rum arc (I consider File 899, not File 898, as the beginning of the Rum arc, by the way). At this point in the Bourbon arc (82 Files in), the Red Shirts case (File 79–File 83 of the Bourbon arc) was underway. As for the other arcs (excluding the short Sherry/Haibara and Cell Phone arcs), in terms of 80-90 files into them:

Intro/Conan arc: Heiji intro case (File 92–File 96) — Heiji's next appearance (File 117–File 121) would come right after the case with Tequila (File 114–File 116)

Vermouth arc: James Black intro case (File 88–File 90) – I consider this the beginning of the build-up to the Golden Apple flashback case (File 113–File 117)

Kir arc: Ethan Hondo face reveal (File 83–File 85) – 5 of the 7 cases that followed this one were the ones that comprised Clash of Red and Black

So, to sum up—80–120 Files into an arc, one can expect things to happen in DC. So we're definitely in that range, right now, where things happen.

• Upvote 2