Detective Conan World
AnimeOtakuDrew

Anime original haters

I am getting really tired of this "if it's not in the manga it doesn't matter" BS. The manga is great  because without it there wouldn't be a Detective Conan anime, but these people that troll the forums throwing out posts like "if it didn't happen in the manga, it's not real," "if that character wasn't in the manga, they don't really exist," and so on. I thought I might get away from it coming specifically to the anime forum, but I'm seeing it here too! And I'm appalled! I personally enjoy all of Conan, and truth be told, some of my least favorite episodes have actually been adapted from the manga  (gasp, blasphemy!!!), while some anime originals rank among my favorites. Those trolls just need to get over themselves and stop belittling the series  they CLAIM to be fans of and its TRUE fans who are trying to enjoy the show and discuss it! And as for whether the movies, OVAs, and other anime originals are "canon," he'll yes they are!!! They were created under the official license by the company that holds the rights. It's like trying to say the new Star Wars movies aren't canon because George Lucas didn't write them. It's laughable! As the old saying goes, if you don't have something good to say, don't say anything at all! For the REAL fans (that is, the ones who really love this series and will give any episode or movie a fair chance whether it appeared in Aoyama-sensei's original manga or not), I apologize for subjecting you to this rant. On the other hand, there is no reason for someone to take offense to this post UNLESS they are one of the trolls that do this. And to those trolls, I am most definitely NOT sorry for offending you! Get over yourselves!!!

I enjoy all of the franchise as well, but the reason those statements,  "if it didn't happen in the manga, it's not real," "if that character wasn't in the manga, they don't really exist,", exist is because characters that only appear in Anime Only content can't actually effect the plot of the series. While some content does get transferred to the manga (and then back into the anime), it gets introduced again as if its the first time. In addition, some Anime Only cases characterize characters a bit differently than how the manga normally would. 

The problem with stating that Anime Only content, Movies, and OVA's a as canon is that some of them directly conflict with things later introduced in the manga. 

Dont see what the fuss is about. If its an AO its not related to the DC plot but its there for your enjoyment.

All you said is true, There will always be good/bad episodes and good/bad chapters.

Now while i love DC im not enjoying it now like i used to.

I also would have loved that some AO episodes and movies would have been canon an some episodes and chapters like never happened 

Saying it's not canon is not a judgment on the quality of the content. All AOs could be brilliant masterpieces, it still wouldn't make them canon or give them any weight in terms of what actually happens in the manga.

On 9/24/2016 at 0:32 AM, AnimeOtakuDrew said:

I am getting really tired of this "if it's not in the manga it doesn't matter" BS. The manga is great  because without it there wouldn't be a Detective Conan anime, but these people that troll the forums throwing out posts like "if it didn't happen in the manga, it's not real," "if that character wasn't in the manga, they don't really exist," and so on. I thought I might get away from it coming specifically to the anime forum, but I'm seeing it here too! And I'm appalled!

You seem to be lumping two groups of people who are rather different: There is type 1) the fans who complain about AOs because they believe they are not as good on average, and type 2) the fans who are dismissive of AOs because they don't impact the main storyline significantly.

I sympathize with the type 1s some. The early AOs were pretty good, but the modern ones generally aren't as good as Gosho's mysteries. There are some exceptional standout AOs, and I generally like the mystery tours because they show interesting cultural tidbits, but otherwise I don't feel like AOs are worth my time. I am a type 2, because I hardly have time to deal with anything but the main manga canon.

If you are in DC mainly for the ride, manga canonicity vs anime/movie canonicity doesn't really matter. If you are in DC because you want to play detective and uncover who the BO boss is and the mystery behind the BO's true plan, then you have to be picky. In a series like this, a fan who watches and enjoys everything, AOs included, and one that specializes in manga canon only are equally "True".

As Jimmy said, canonicity matters to theories. In a mystery series, facts are important and they have repercussions. The only way to guarantee you have accurate facts is to only get them from the person who knows the true answers to everything in full detail: Gosho Aoyama. The anime has historically screwed over anyone trying to solve the arc mysteries. There were continuous mistakes and alterations: from creating plotholes that made it impossible for Conan to learn Gin and Vodka's codenames, to missing clues that made it impossible for an anime watcher to solve Akai's faked death. It really is in only the past 4-5 years that the anime has been consistently right on clues and matters of the plot. In general, only the manga and interviews and whatnot are guaranteed to be accurate without enlarging or distorting things for dramatic effect.

The other issue is that it can take year+ to fully catch up in the show. DC is freaking long. The manga is nearing 1000 chapters. If you streamed the anime and movies and specials continuously, 24 hours a day, skipping all openings and endings, you would have to stay awake ~20 days straight to watch it all. If you decided to spend an hour watching DC every night to catch up, it would take you a year and four months. If you were paid $8 an hour to watch DC, then when you got current, you will have earned, ~$3800 dollars. Assuming you have school or a job, that's not an easy time commitment to make. Many people shortcut by ignoring AOs because they want to get current quickly. It's dismissive of AOs, but a reasonable and understandable move.

• Upvote 1

On Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 3:07 AM, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

The problem with stating that Anime Only content, Movies, and OVA's a as canon is that some of them directly conflict with things later introduced in the manga. 

I don't recall any instances of this. Could you please give me a couple examples where an Anime Original had contradicted events that happened later in the manga? As Chek pointed ou, I know there have been a few screw ups in the adaptations from the manga  (sometimes corrected later, like with Miyano Akemi being killed by Gin, and sometimes not being corrected at all so it leaves a plot hole, like with Conan knowing Gin and Vodka's names even though he never heard them on the anime), but I can't remember any AOs that actually contradicted the manga. (Please note that I am NOT saying it hasn't happened, just that I don't REMEMBER it happening, hence asking for examples.)

And, according to the interviews I've read, Aoyama-sensei is deeply involved in the creation of the movies and the other AO content, so if the series creator himself helps create it, why would it not be canon?

As for the AOs not advancing the overall plotline of the series, there are quite a few manga cases that have zero plot development as well, but I don't see people complain near as much about those, nor do they claim those stories and characters don't matter.