Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 972-974: Akai Family Flashback Case

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

972 text spoiler (courtesy of Spimer):

File 972: Encounter with ripples

Cover text: Conan's memories which have been awakened along with the sound of ripples... Young Shinichi, Ran and Sera... What is the truth of that encounter in the sea which happened long ago?

10 years ago: a beach somewhere

Shuuichi, lying under a parasol, is visited by Shuukichi and Masumi. Shuuichi has had a brawl with Mary, his mother, and has a wound on one eye

Mary was supposed to do what an email her husband left behind (the wording implies the husband is dead or missing): lie low in Japan 

But Shuuichi has obtained US nationality to enter the FBI and investigate the truth of the case his father stumbled upon

Masumi doesn't know any of that and wants to make Shuuichi smile: she tries to do all kind of pranks but Shuuichi doesn't react

In the end she tries stuffing french fries into his nose's nostrils and gets scolded by both Shuuichi and Mary

When Mary removes the salt below Masumi's nose she says "chips" aloud and Yuriko overhears her

Shuichi then tells Mary than when you're so famous that everyone knows you there's no safe country to be at and it's better to beat the opponent before your true colors are revealed...

... And Shinichi suddenly shows up there and says "It's so obvious! Bro, you're a clown!"

Both son and mother wonder what he's talking about and Shinichi says that Shuuichi has a mark on his left wrist and it's an accordion belt mark and that the left eye's wound is make-up remains (a mere clown doesn't cry or so he says): all of Shinichi's "deductions" are totally off the mark but Shuuichi smiles and Masumi sees that smile

Shuuichi asks him who he is and Shinichi introduces himself as well as saying he's "Holmes' apprentice": Ran comes to search for him

3 bad-looking men show up on the area: they were trying to get a free yakisoba meal at the sea-house by making up the lie that there flies on the yakisoba but Shinichi stopped them so they've got an unjustified ressenment with him

They try to beat Shinichi up but Shuuichi beats them up with his blinding sundome (a variant of karate) and drives them off: Shuukichi then asks them to play with Masumi

But then they all see how a car falls from a nearby cliff into the sea...

Side-note: "Next number: Akai and young Shinichi take on a case!"

Great. The fact that Shinichi says 'Holmes' apprentice' seems to confirm that Sera must have seen Conan on TV during the tennis match in London. He did proclaim himself as 'Holmes' apprentice' there. Seeing that might have triggered Sera's memory and she guess that he was Shinichi, who had gotten shrunk. She might have concluded that there was a connection between him and her mother's status and decided to seek him out for help.

4 hours ago, Black Demon said:

972 text spoiler (courtesy of Spimer):

File 972: Encounter with ripples

Cover text: Conan's memories which have been awakened along with the sound of ripples... Young Shinichi, Ran and Sera... What is the truth of that encounter in the sea which happened long ago?

10 years ago: a beach somewhere

Shuuichi, lying under a parasol, is visited by Shuukichi and Masumi. Shuuichi has had a brawl with Mary, his mother, and has a wound on one eye

Mary was supposed to do what an email her husband left behind (the wording implies the husband is dead or missing): lie low in Japan 

But Shuuichi has obtained US nationality to enter the FBI and investigate the truth of the case his father stumbled upon

Masumi doesn't know any of that and wants to make Shuuichi smile: she tries to do all kind of pranks but Shuuichi doesn't react

In the end she tries stuffing french fries into his nose's nostrils and gets scolded by both Shuuichi and Mary

When Mary removes the salt below Masumi's nose she says "chips" aloud and Yuriko overhears her

Shuichi then tells Mary than when you're so famous that everyone knows you there's no safe country to be at and it's better to beat the opponent before your true colors are revealed...

... And Shinichi suddenly shows up there and says "It's so obvious! Bro, you're a clown!"

Both son and mother wonder what he's talking about and Shinichi says that Shuuichi has a mark on his left wrist and it's an accordion belt mark and that the left eye's wound is make-up remains (a mere clown doesn't cry or so he says): all of Shinichi's "deductions" are totally off the mark but Shuuichi smiles and Masumi sees that smile

Shuuichi asks him who he is and Shinichi introduces himself as well as saying he's "Holmes' apprentice": Ran comes to search for him

3 bad-looking men show up on the area: they were trying to get a free yakisoba meal at the sea-house by making up the lie that there flies on the yakisoba but Shinichi stopped them so they've got an unjustified ressenment with him

They try to beat Shinichi up but Shuuichi beats them up with his blinding sundome (a variant of karate) and drives them off: Shuukichi then asks them to play with Masumi

But then they all see how a car falls from a nearby cliff into the sea...

Side-note: "Next number: Akai and young Shinichi take on a case!"

Geez... I honestly didn't expect that.

An email that is how old, I wonder... years (as in, he apparently died years ago), or very recently (as in, he apparently died days to months before this)?

Oh? Mary is famous? Or is this just Shuichi talking about the reason his dad wanted them to hide (the BO, in all likelihood), saying that she might as well be really famous if this threat after them (as in, the BO could find them really easily)?

I wonder if Shuichi is going to remember that the boy he met, here, was Shinichi/Conan. Maybe he has already remembered and we just don't know (maybe he started to recall when he and Shinichi/Conan first began interacting in Clash of Red and Black (585–590 and 595–609/491–504), and then it took a step further with the events of Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case (812–814/690–691).

Those three are undoubtedly involved in this... and Shuichi's being quite subtle, here... :rolleyes:

I don't think this'll be a 3 File case, but I won't be completely shocked if it turns out to be just that.

Translation of text spoilers (Edited by YunnieChan) :

Detective Conan File 972 Spoiler Text

Translated by : Yunnie Chan
(Thank you Yunnie Chan for the correction!)

FILE 972 : A sudden meeting near ripples.

Cover : Conan’s memories of the past awoken by the sound of waves… Small Shinichi and Ran with Sera… That day, long time ago, and the truth of the encounter happened at the seaside?!..

10 years ago, on some beach.

Shukichi□ brings his little sister, Masumi, to Shuichi○, who is resting under the parasol. Shuichi○ had a fight with his mother, Mary, some time ago and wounded his eye. Mary, following her husband’s text message, was supposed to lay low in Japan, but Shuichi○ entered FBI and got US nationality in order to find the truth about the case his father encountered.

… Masumi doesn't know anything about it, and wants to make Shuichi○ smile no matter what. She tries a lot of tricks and jokes but Shuichi○ doesn’t smile. In the end she tried putting french fries in her nose, but both Shuichi○ and Mary scolded her.

While Mary was wiping the salt left under Masumi’s nose, she (Mary) called french fries ‘chips’ and Yukiko heard that.

Shuichi○ starts to tell Mary that no country would be safe for them if she’ll continue to reveal her nationality to everyone (by speech habits), thus they need to attack the opponent before they reveal her origin, but…

Shinichi◇ suddenly appears and tells [That’s obvious! Onii-san is Pierrot! **clown]

Then Shinichi◇ makes deductions, such as Shuichi○’s left wrist’s bruise is a trace of accordion belt and his left eye’s scar is what’s left of crying make up (ordinary clowns don’t draw tears), which are obviously not true, but Masumi sees Shuichi○’s smile.

Shuichi○ asks Shinichi◇ who's he, Shinichi◇ calls himself as a Holmes Apprentice and then cames Ran, who was searching for him.

Right after that 3 bad looking men appear, and tried to receive a compensation by lying there’s a fly in their yakisoba, but Shinichi◇ intervened, making them angry on him.

At the moment when they try to punch Shinichi◇, Shuichi○ stops them with thumbing and sets them away.

Then Shukichi□ asks Ran and Shinichi◇ to meet Masumi. And at that moment….

A car falls in the sea from the nearby cliff.

Slide Note : Next issue, Akai and small Shinichi put up with a case!

I think Shuichi Akai must be at least 35 now. If we assume that he was 18, when he began college in USA seventeen years ago, then he would he 35 now. And I also think that the father of the Akai family died before Sera was born. She said that she was born in Japan, and if the family moved to Japan due to that the father passed away, then it could happen when Sera wasn't born yet. And Akai didn't mention that his mother had been pregnant, when he went to USA.

A comment about Shukichi's way of referring to Mary in 972:

He also called Shuichi "Shuichi-nii-san," and this was after that postcard in which Gosho claimed Shukichi would call Shuichi, simply, "nii-san." Maybe this is a quirk of his. He does keep calling Yumi "Yumi-san" or "Yumi-tan," even though, at this point, she probably wouldn't mind if he eschewed the honorifics. Maybe the same applies to Mary and Shuichi.

Plus, we've seen, in DC, when characters are referred to/addressed as "otou-san" and "okaa-san," by other characters even when they aren't actually the other character's mother or the other character's father.

Finally, if Mary isn't Shukichi's mother, then how did Mr. Akai first have a kid with Mary (Shuichi), then have a kid with another woman (Shukichi), and then have a kid with Mary, again? Koji Haneda is still Shukichi's non-blood relative.

1 hour ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:
  Hide contents

A comment about Shukichi's way of referring to Mary in 972:

He also called Shuichi "Shuichi-nii-san," and this was after that postcard in which Gosho claimed Shukichi would call Shuichi, simply, "nii-san." Maybe this is a quirk of his. He does keep calling Yumi "Yumi-san" or "Yumi-tan," even though, at this point, she probably wouldn't mind if he eschewed the honorifics. Maybe the same applies to Mary and Shuichi.

In the same line of thinking as the "shuichi-niisan" vs "niisan"

he said that Masumi would say "kichi-nii", but she actually says "kichi-niichan" 

41 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

In the same line of thinking as the "shuichi-niisan" vs "niisan"

he said that Masumi would say "kichi-nii", but she actually says "kichi-niichan" 

We've yet to see Shuichi/Subaru and/or Masumi interact with Shukichi during the present—maybe Gosho meant Masumi will call Shukichi "kichi-nii" in the present, and Shukichi will call Shuichi/Subaru "nii-san" in the present.

Anyway, what do you think of Shukichi referring to Mary as "Mary-okaa-san," here? Does it mean she's not his birth mother?

8 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Hide contents

Anyway, what do you think of Shukichi referring to Mary as "Mary-okaa-san," here? Does it mean she's not his birth mother?

I actually asked Chek the same thing as soon as I saw that, http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/User_talk:Chekhov_MacGuffin#Mary-kasan
"" Its really weird, in the new chapter, Shukichi actually says "Mary-kasan". Makes me wonder if he may have been adopted or something. I would think that its pretty uncommon to call parents by first name even in places like Japan and Britain. --Jimmy-kud0-tv2 (talk) 06:45, 12 September 2016 (CEST) ""

However, I'm not really sure what to think. It does seem a bit weird. It could also just be a way for Gosho to confirm 100% that Mary is the name of the mother. I guess we will find out a lot more of the family actions after the flashback ends and we see what each of them has really been doing for the past 10 years. 

To be honest, with just this chapter as a basis, Shukichi seems pretty irrelevant at the moment to the actual story in the flashback. He kind of just wandered off before Shinichi even showed up. 

I think that Shukichi and Shuichi were born and raised in England. Shuichi said that 'In Japan and in my home country we have left-hand-riding'. Based on that and that Mary speaks Queen's English, I guess that Shuichi was raised in England, where there are also left-hand-riding. If Shukichi also was born and raised in England until seventeen years prior to the series, then maybe the reason he says 'Mary-kaa-san', is due to a weird speech habit. Hakuba said once that his japanese might sound weird due to his time abroad.

8 hours ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

I actually asked Chek the same thing as soon as I saw that, 

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/User_talk:Chekhov_MacGuffin#Mary-kasan
"" Its really weird, in the new chapter, Shukichi actually says "Mary-kasan". Makes me wonder if he may have been adopted or something. I would think that its pretty uncommon to call parents by first name even in places like Japan and Britain. --Jimmy-kud0-tv2 (talk) 06:45, 12 September 2016 (CEST) ""

However, I'm not really sure what to think. It does seem a bit weird. It could also just be a way for Gosho to confirm 100% that Mary is the name of the mother. I guess we will find out a lot more of the family actions after the flashback ends and we see what each of them has really been doing for the past 10 years. 

To be honest, with just this chapter as a basis, Shukichi seems pretty irrelevant at the moment to the actual story in the flashback. He kind of just wandered off before Shinichi even showed up.

That's my guess, at this point. And Chek's response was this, right?

I actually wonder if he was reverse adopted, as in sent to live with the Hanedas. Maybe he calls his biomama Mary that because Mrs. Haneda is just Mom. (I also think it's Gosho letting us know the answers in the flashback in as few words as possible) It's all tentative at this point since we now know Masumi has been fudging some backstoryChekhov MacGuffin talk 06:51, 12 September 2016 (CEST)

Though, according to Masumi, Shukichi didn't change his name until after he graduated—here, he's a year+ away from that... again, unless she's lying about when he changed his name... though I wonder if she knows about her father's mail to Mary... was she paying attention to Mary's words on Page 5?

Yeah, for the last 9 pages of 972, he didn't appear. Was he standing there, just watching Yukiko, and then Shinichi and Ran, come up? Or did he just decide to leave Masumi with Shuichi after seeing how eager she was to interact with him? Mary didn't appear for the last 3 pages, either—seems she was just crouching there, watching Shuichi chase off those guys who tried to beat up Shinichi... maybe Shukichi really was just standing there... I guess we'll find out in 973.

14 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Hide contents

That's my guess, at this point. And Chek's response was this, right?

I actually wonder if he was reverse adopted, as in sent to live with the Hanedas. Maybe he calls his biomama Mary that because Mrs. Haneda is just Mom. (I also think it's Gosho letting us know the answers in the flashback in as few words as possible) It's all tentative at this point since we now know Masumi has been fudging some backstoryChekhov MacGuffin talk 06:51, 12 September 2016 (CEST)

Though, according to Masumi, Shukichi didn't change his name until after he graduated—here, he's a year+ away from that... again, unless she's lying about when he changed his name... though I wonder if she knows about her father's mail to Mary... was she paying attention to Mary's words on Page 5?

Yeah, for the last 9 pages of 972, he didn't appear. Was he standing there, just watching Yukiko, and then Shinichi and Ran, come up? Or did he just decide to leave Masumi with Shuichi after seeing how eager she was to interact with him? Mary didn't appear for the last 3 pages, either—seems she was just crouching there, watching Shuichi chase off those guys who tried to beat up Shinichi... maybe Shukichi really was just standing there... I guess we'll find out in 973.

I think Shuukichi wandered off to go buy Yakisoba since that's one of the last things he mentions before Masumi gets up on top of the umbrella. However it made him miss a lot of the situation between Shinichi and his family. If he did wander off, maybe thats why Conan didn't have one of those "I recognize you from somewhere" moments when he met him in the present. 

Japanese high schools are only 3 years long. This flashback happens in the same year as his graduation, so I assume that this must be one of the vacation breaks of his final high school year. Meaning that he only has about half a year or less until his graduation.

Its also possible that what ever the situation between Shuukichi and the Haneda family could have already happened, but he just didn't change his name until later. It still is a bit confusing how he didn't change his name until 7 years after Kouji was supposedly killed. If his connection to Kouji had already existed before Kouji's death, it makes me wonder if Daddy Akai was there to investigate because of Shuukichi's connection to Kouji.

9 hours ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

I think Shuukichi wandered off to go buy Yakisoba since that's one of the last things he mentions before Masumi gets up on top of the umbrella. However it made him miss a lot of the situation between Shinichi and his family. If he did wander off, maybe thats why Conan didn't have one of those "I recognize you from somewhere" moments when he met him in the present. 

Japanese high schools are only 3 years long. This flashback happens in the same year as his graduation, so I assume that this must be one of the vacation breaks of his final high school year. Meaning that he only has about half a year or less until his graduation.

Evidently, though, Shinichi/Conan remembers him saying, "It's scary... like being possessed by something...", unless, of course, some are still going to claim that the one who said that in 969 isn't Shukichi. Actually, Shukichi's jaw, in 972, is drawn pointed, not square, like Gosho's drawn it in all of his appearances before this (Including the flashbacks from 900 and 946). And Shinichi/Conan has a jumbled recollection of his appearance, before he remembers (he hadn't yet recalled everything, so perhaps that's also why Mary isn't shown wearing that short-sleeved black shirt, or why Shuichi is shown saying, "Who are you?" as if he wasn't looking at Shinichi when he said it, when, in fact, he was... same should go for Mary and Shukichi appearing like they did in 969)

So what of, Freshman – Year 1; Sophomore – Year 2; Junior – Year 3; and Senior – Year 4?

On 9/14/2016 at 5:57 AM, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Evidently, though, Shinichi/Conan remembers him saying, "It's scary... like being possessed by something...", unless, of course, some are still going to claim that the one who said that in 969 isn't Shukichi. Actually, Shukichi's jaw, in 972, is drawn pointed, not square, like Gosho's drawn it in all of his appearances before this (Including the flashbacks from 900 and 946). And Shinichi/Conan has a jumbled recollection of his appearance, before he remembers (he hadn't yet recalled everything, so perhaps that's also why Mary isn't shown wearing that short-sleeved black shirt, or why Shuichi is shown saying, "Who are you?" as if he wasn't looking at Shinichi when he said it, when, in fact, he was... same should go for Mary and Shukichi appearing like they did in 969)

So what of, Freshman – Year 1; Sophomore – Year 2; Junior – Year 3; and Senior – Year 4?

I was originally thinking that Gosho messed up the line Shuuichi was supposed to say in Conan's memory. The pose he is in for the memory panel is really similar to when he is asking Shuukichi who Masumi is, as he had not met her before this point. The only difference between the two panels is his mouth and that you can now see through his glasses. But however, his line from the memory panel is said while he was sitting up...  Maybe Gosho will fix these through the volume version ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan#School_grades

Elementary School is 6 years, Middle School is 3 years, and High School is 3 years, totaling 12 years

Japan just uses a number + the kanji for year system. 一年、二年、三年

for example, the first chapter of this series described Shin and Ran as 帝丹高校二年, or "Teitan High School Second year"

a translator listed Shin as a junior though, which is arguably not wrong, since the second year is also the second-to-last-year as well

(for me, Elementary school was 4 years, Middle school was 4 years, and High school was 4 years, totaling 12 years)

(images removed due to limit of file uploading size)

53 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Japan#School_grades

Elementary School is 6 years, Middle School is 3 years, and High School is 3 years, totaling 12 years

Japan just uses a number + the kanji for year system. 一年、二年、三年

for example, the first chapter of this series described Shin and Ran as 帝丹高校二年, or "Teitan High School Second year"

a translator listed Shin as a junior though, which is arguably not wrong, since the second year is also the second-to-last-year as well

Ah, so 9th grade in Japan is not high school, and 6th grade is still elementary school. Gotcha.

54 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

I was originally thinking that Gosho messed up the line Shuuichi was supposed to say in Conan's memory. The pose he is in for the memory panel is really similar to when he is asking Shuukichi who Masumi is, as he had not met her before this point. The only difference between the two panels is his mouth and that you can now see through his glasses. But however, his line from the memory panel is said while he was sitting up...  Maybe Gosho will fix these through the volume version?

shuuichi memory4.jpg

mary memory6.jpg

I wonder—since he's remembered the full encounter—if Shinichi/Conan heard about Mr. Akai's email. Even before he fully remembered, he recalled Mary's comment about Shuichi.

That'd be the biggest and most noticeable volume edit I've ever heard of. Here are the changes I'm aware of, when it comes to volumes:

Volume 81, File 10/File 860 – The Smell of Kerosine

The colors of the sleeve of the person contacting Masumi on Panel 3 of Page 16 are changed from dark gray to white and a lighter gray.

Volume 87, File 9/File 924 – Shinichi Boy, Part II

Shinichi's line on Panel 3 of Page 14 is changed from, "If you want to cry, just cry...", to, "If you want to cry, just cry, Ran..."

Volume 90, File 5/File 953 – Tied to the Demonic Darkness

Mary's expression on Panel 1 of Page 16 is changed from her usual countenance to the shock she showed on Panel 7 of Page 7 of File 952 when Shinichi/Conan reached his phone over the edge to where she was hiding.

My personal take on the inconsistencies is that Shinichi/Conan hadn't yet remembered, in full, the encounter, so the things we see in File 969 are due to the fact that he only somewhat recalled what happened that day, ten years prior. We'll have to wait and see, in terms of Shukichi's line.

(Maybe Volume 91 and Volume 92 will fix Shukichi's chin in both 969 and 972... maybe they'll add in Mary's black short-sleeved shirt and even make Shukichi from 969 look more like... well... Shukichi—it's almost as if he drew Shukichi like that in 969 as his last attempt to hide the middle brother's identity)

7 minutes ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Here are the changes I'm aware of, when it comes to volumes:

My personal take on the inconsistencies is that Shinichi/Conan hadn't yet remembered, in full, the encounter, so the things we see in File 969 are due to the fact that he only somewhat recalled what happened that day, ten years prior. We'll have to wait and see, in terms of Shukichi's line.

(Maybe Volume 91 and Volume 92 will fix Shukichi's chin in both 969 and 972... maybe they'll add in Mary's black short-sleeved shirt and even make Shukichi from 969 look more like... well... Shukichi—it's almost as if he drew Shukichi like that in 969 as his last attempt to hide the middle brother's identity)

There is a list on the wiki of changes that have been noticed. There are a lot more that haven't been listed

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/List_of_differences_between_magazine_and_volume

a japanese user pointed out like 50 minor hair fixes for Amuro in volume 85 alone on their own blog, which aren't really worth mentioning on the wiki

There are also changes like changing numbers in word bubbles, like "1" to kanji  " 一 " and vice-versa

I kind of wonder what the whole Shinigami thing is supposed to mean? Mary's line to Shuuichi feels kind of weird. He is like a child possessed by a Shinigami because he lied to her and is chasing (from her perspective) ghosts? Shuukichi's line might be more tied to the case maybe?? Like maybe we find out that the driver of the car that went of the cliff was already dead before hand, and that the driver was somehow "possessed" in order to drive it? 

I agree that he may have drawn Shuukichi really awkwardly as a last attempt to hide his identity, but the way 972 reveals him feels a bit underwhelming with how he just kind of wanders off after all of that build up and teasing over the last hundred or more chapters. I really hope he actually does something cool in this chapter like showing off his memory (and the best in japan quote thing). Maybe while Shuuichi and Mary were off fighting, he and Masumi saw something case related?

Its too bad that the people picking on Shinichi were drawn in a way that indicates they aren't really suspects, but more of background people. Putting a fly in yakisoba in order to complain to the chef and get compensation would be an easy way to create an alibi of someone remembering you at a certain place and time. The time would be written on the check.  

(Gah the "K" button on my keyboard is starting to stick and not type, thats going to be annoying for a case with two people whose names are only a "K" apart)

19 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

I agree that he may have drawn Shuukichi really awkwardly as a last attempt to hide his identity, but the way 972 reveals him feels a bit underwhelming with how he just kind of wanders off after all of that build up and teasing over the last hundred or more chapters. I really hope he actually does something cool in this chapter like showing off his memory (and the best in japan quote thing). Maybe while Shuuichi and Mary were off fighting, he and Masumi saw something case related?

Its too bad that the people picking on Shinichi were drawn in a way that indicates they aren't really suspects, but more of background people. Putting a fly in yakisoba in order to complain to the chef and get compensation would be an easy way to create an alibi of someone remembering you at a certain place and time. The time would be written on the check.  

(Gah the "K" button on my keyboard is starting to stick and not type, thats going to be annoying for a case with two people whose names are only a "K" apart)

Well, Volume 91 will be out in December—I'm sure you'll be one of the first who'll be able to check on whether the Volume version of 969 Shukichi looks different from the raw release version (and upload the image, if there is a difference). It's strange that Shukichi's jaw is pointed in 972, even after all his prior appearances featured him with a square jaw.

Yeah, Gosho just straight up revealed it. Still, this case will probably be (at least, this is my guess) 4 chapters, if not 5 (like Golden Apple (File 350–File 354/Episode 286–Episode 288)), so there's still time.

Before the file came out, I thought those three would be suspects, but yeah—they're just not drawn right, for them. It's been awhile since we've had a case in which a car drove through railing and plummeted down... 

How convenient that it happens during this, of all cases... 

2 hours ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

To make it even worse there is a page where Yusaku is sent a picture of the suspects and solves it instantly.... 

It's Yusaku. Since when has he been portrayed any different? (Incidentally, when were the first smartphones available for purchase? Cause it looks like Yusaku and Yukiko have them)

And explain why Shuichi saying, "Case closed!", is bad.

At long last, we have Shuichi with no headwear—he's got a widow's peak (I believe that's the correct term).

Queue the Hondo family references... I saw at least one baidu pic doing just that.

6 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

It's Yusaku. Since when has he been portrayed any different? (Incidentally, when were the first smartphones available for purchase? Cause it looks like Yusaku and Yukiko have them)

And explain why Shuichi saying, "Case closed!", is bad.

considering how the message from the dead father Akai is also displayed on a smart phone in Mary's background panel, I'd say they may have been out for a while. Unless she has it saved and transferred it from phone to phone, in which case SD memory cards for phones already existed as well. Yusaku and Yukiko both have flip phones in Ran GIRL / Shinichi BOY, so its an upgrade for them. Childhood Adventure happened in a weird sweet spot where neither of the Kudo parents seem to have cell phones due to the difference between when it was written and the current standings of the manga at that point, where most characters only had flip phones. Yusaku supposedly had unplugged the house phone land line, meaning the police had to call Eri's house and tell her to give Yusaku the "thank you" message. 

Its just I feel like Masumi is starting to have absolutely no originality to herself, almost everything that she is, has come from Shuichi. Not only that, if Shukichi is the one on the phone, then he solves half of her cases for her anyway (or at least tells her that she is wrong and possibly leads her the right direction). Now, even Masumi's catchphrase is something she took from him, even though he has existed since file 287 and has never been shown saying it before. I really want to like Masumi, but Gosho has made her so reliant on her family's characterization and actions. I kind of want Masumi to break away and become her own character, like how Shuichi and Shukichi both left home to do their own thing, with no regards to their mother cowering in fear that bad people are out to get her. 

55 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

considering how the message from the dead father Akai is also displayed on a smart phone in Mary's background panel, I'd say they may have been out for a while. Unless she has it saved and transferred it from phone to phone, in which case SD memory cards for phones already existed as well. Yusaku and Yukiko both have flip phones in Ran GIRL / Shinichi BOY, so its an upgrade for them. Childhood Adventure happened in a weird sweet spot where neither of the Kudo parents seem to have cell phones due to the difference between when it was written and the current standings of the manga at that point, where most characters only had flip phones. Yusaku supposedly had unplugged the house phone land line, meaning the police had to call Eri's house and tell her to give Yusaku the "thank you" message. 

So now "ten years ago" is 2006-2009 (a.k.a. the late 2000s), and "thirteen years ago" is 2003–2006 (a.k.a. the mid 2000s), then?

55 minutes ago, Jimmy-kud0-tv2 said:

Its just I feel like Masumi is starting to have absolutely no originality to herself, almost everything that she is, has come from Shuichi. Not only that, if Shukichi is the one on the phone, then he solves half of her cases for her anyway (or at least tells her that she is wrong and possibly leads her the right direction). Now, even Masumi's catchphrase is something she took from him, even though he has existed since file 287 and has never been shown saying it before. I really want to like Masumi, but Gosho has made her so reliant on her family's characterization and actions. I kind of want Masumi to break away and become her own character, like how Shuichi and Shukichi both left home to do their own thing, with no regards to their mother cowering in fear that bad people are out to get her. 

Well, that's her thing, then—actually staying with their mother. While doing so, she's had time to make friends with Ran and Sonoko and go out on her own. And what about those "innumerable" jumper suicides, and the fact she describes herself as a detective? She's the only one in her family who actually set out to be that. Shuichi's not an FBI agent because he just wanted to be, or was inspired to be one—their motivations are clearly different. And what about all her efforts to make Shuichi smile—upon meeting him, she wants to see him smile. Then, she wants to help out.

And what about all that Yusaku gave to Shinichi? Doesn't that put him in the same boat? Just like Masumi gets showed up by Shuichi, Shinichi gets showed up by Yusaku. Shuichi (unintentionally) tells Masumi all this info, and Masumi wants to be a detective; Yusaku tells Shinichi all this info, and Shinichi wants to be a detective.

The only difference between them is how determined Shinichi is to save everyone. Due to Shuichi's and her mother's influence, she was ready to let the bomber die (File 771–File 774/Episode 648–Episode 650).

Thing is—Yusaku's barely around, and Shinichi's too prideful to ask him for help, bar a Scarlet Showdown-esque situation. Masumi's family is in very close proximity to her, and they've been focused on for the past 100+ files. She's not nearly as prideful as Shinichi—if she was, she wouldn't ask for help for a regular case.

In the Bowling Alley Case (File 859–File 861/Episode 744–Episode 745), she reflects upon her deduction being wrong, in the prior case (File 856–File 858/Episode 740–Episode 741), but, ultimately, decides to do things herself... and Shinichi/Conan later gives her credit for the resolution of the case. 

Masumi can be as serious as Mary and Shuichi, but she also shows a playful, carefree side, like Shukichi—combined with her intellect, she's the best of both worlds, so to speak. I'd say that makes her unique.

2 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

So now "ten years ago" is 2006-2009 (a.k.a. the late 2000s), and "thirteen years ago" is 2003–2006 (a.k.a. the mid 2000s), then?

When Childhood adventure was written in 2006, the main cast all had flip phones, so 10 years before that Gosho had Yusaku and Yukiko just a house phone 

Ran Girl / Shinichi Boy and This current flashback written in 2015 and 2016 respectively, most of the main cast have smart phones. So 13 years ago people had flip phones and 10 years ago they have smart phones for some reason... maybe even before that. 

I kind of want that "EPISODE ONE" special that is coming up to somehow have an appearance of Hermes from Futurama. 

https://youtu.be/UNTmUuFPHKc?t=10m21s (you only need to watch to 10m 34s)