Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

About Kuroda:

Your right, i was mistaken. Though theres still some chance he´s involved in the incident 17 years ago.

Guess we simply have to wait for more clues.

About Yone

I dont mean to say she lives there but only wanted to point out her appearence in those places, which is suspicious enough.

I really hope some japanese guys tell us, if Kuroda/Mary/Haneda/Yonehara will appear in movie 20.

If Yonehara happens to appear in it, i think its safe to say she has a bigger role than just being a ordinary housekeeper.

That won't help much. We haven't had enough development in the manga yet and since the movies are non-canon, it really won't make a difference.

Speaking of yone, 

I re-read the cases where she appears. I don't know if it's just me but it feels like rum has taken her place. It took her a few seconds to remember chiba.:huh: Maybe I'm just picking at anything trivial and stupid.Though a BO member to be asked to behave like her is a bit funny. :lol:   

If RUM is in a disguise - 
Vermouth picked araide as her target probably because she didn't want to squeak or scream  ^_^ But also coz she wanted haibara. RUM should be nearby or wherever his mission is. Good disguises like housekeepers, doctors,maybe even bartenders, police (doesnt seem like anyone is OOC .. at least Takagi and co) and someone who is probably single, living alone who wont be noticed much if they act odd, but get to interact with the target or the target's friends.

I'm just musing... :rolleyes:

If Yonehara does end up being RUM, I'd prefer her to be a woman who took APTX 4869 and became younger instead of a male disguised as her. We have enough people with disguising skills already and we don't need more.

In both Shuukichi's introduction case, as well as the Blog case, wouldn't Haibara "sense" Yonehara if she was Rum?

All things considered I'm betting on Rum being a "new character" and that the AC hint was referencing the Lum cameo... 

• Upvote 1

In both Shuukichi's introduction case, as well as the Blog case, wouldn't Haibara "sense" Yonehara if she was Rum?

All things considered I'm betting on Rum being a "new character" and that the AC hint was referencing the Lum cameo... 

She failed to detect both Vermouth and Bourbon during the Cherry Blossom pickpocket case, so her sense is inconsistent.

I think Sakurako is going to be more like Eisuke than Tomoaki—she'll be connected to Rum, rather than actually be Rum.

I'm starting to think that September 2014 AC hint was referring to Lum, too. Though Heizo and Taka'aki are still on my list of Rum suspects, Taka'aki—if Rum is Asaka and he is Rum—would've been 18, at the time. Heizo would've been in his twenties.

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering if Ai's sense works only if she has met them and knows how dangerous they are or just any BO member.

Also, it's true that they too many people with disguising skills that it's a wonder these people can trust each other.

It's possible that she didn't feel the their presence in ep 734 because she has started get more comfortable with her life, as she now has escaped the BO radar. In other words, Kuroda (who she didn't react to either) could still be Rum taking his place... it shouldn't really matter how reused the disguising aspect is, since it has now become a key technique of the series! if you consider the fact that it has been used as a key plan in every arc(excluding Kir arc, which is the only unique arc): Hai=Con and Arai=Ver, Akai=Ver and Sher=Kai, Jod=Ver and Oki=Yusa... 

It's possible that she didn't feel the their presence in ep 734 because she has started get more comfortable with her life, as she now has escaped the BO radar. In other words, Kuroda (who she didn't react to either) could still be Rum taking his place... it shouldn't really matter how reused the disguising aspect is, since it has now become a key technique of the series! if you consider the fact that it has been used as a key plan in every arc(excluding Kir arc, which is the only unique arc): Hai=Con and Arai=Ver, Akai=Ver and Sher=Kai, Jod=Ver and Oki=Yusa... 

Thing is, she hasn't really "felt" the aura since Mystery Train, and it was even thicker than usual—and this was well after she refused the witness protection program.

Point is, I'm hesitant to claim that her BO sense has "dulled," as of File 850–File 852 or File 918–File 920.

Okay, this is very improbable, but could the reason behind Kuroda's sudden aging be an antidote to the Silver Bullet, or maybe the effects of the drug wearing off? 

Okay, this is very improbable, but could the reason behind Kuroda's sudden aging be an antidote to the Silver Bullet, or maybe the effects of the drug wearing off? 

Kuroda's sudden aging? His hair became white because of the stress of the incident that put him into a coma, he didn't age rapidly or something.

Kuroda's sudden aging? His hair became white because of the stress of the incident that put him into a coma, he didn't age rapidly or something.

Yeah, that's the reason given in the manga, but don't you find it a little suspicious?

Yeah, that's the reason given in the manga, but don't you find it a little suspicious?

Not really, it makes sense considering where teens can start growing white hair, why is it so surprising for a 50 year old to have white hair?

Not really, it makes sense considering where teens can start growing white hair, why is it so surprising for a 50 year old to have white hair?

It's not worth mentioning if it's not important or very common!

Well, I did something useful for once; I leveraged the power of statistics to figure out how to spot characters who have only one working eye and are trying to hide it. Using Kansuke as my model and Koumei and Conan as controls, I was able to preliminarily identify the traits of one-eyed characters by simply counting the number of panels where they turn their heads and look a certain way. I then applied the results to Rumi, Kuroda, and Sakurako Yonehara. Kuroda has too few points to go off of, but an interesting lack of head turning. Rumi appears to have two working eyes, but there is not enough data to tell for sure. Sakurako was much more definitive: two working eyes and an honest disposition that avoids sideyeing characters. Mathematically, Sakurako is out of the running for Rum. From now on, any new character who appears for 2-3+ cases will not be able to hide from the powers of math.

You can see the results and more Rum hunting tips here: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/User:Chekhov_MacGuffin/Vision

• Upvote 2

Just for info: How long did it take you to finish ur research? 
Sick work and a interesting and new way to approach the "problem".

Only thing i worry about is that ur assumptions, which are obv right, wont be used by Gosho as as recurring pattern. He still might come up with Rum doesnt need to turn his/her head everytime since there isnt any dangerous situation. Now obviously some of you will tell, that Gosho is superdetailed on drawing .. but still.. i somehow wouldnt trust in that at all.

I was noticing the same thing about Sakurako, especially her pupils seem to change size.
But here again, Gosho might come up with a "modern prothestic eye" which pupil changes size reacting to light-effects. And somehow i feel we still have too few panels from pretty much every suspicious character to finally judge it. But still you should be hunting down the upcoming panels through ur system ^_^

Nice to see ur "suspects" are pretty much similar to mine. I guess ur taking Mary and Shukichi out of it cause its more or less likely confirmed that theyre Akai-family.

If u like to add some more suspects, which i was recently thinking about and which arent obiously enough discussed and analyzed:

Yoko Okino / Azusa Enomoto / Higo Ryusuke (did he occur before 925? i think so) / Misao Yamamura (him beeing Rum obv means his grandma is the boss:lol:)

Btw, if u had to do a final guess on Rum, who would it be ?

Just for info: How long did it take you to finish ur research?

I've probably put about 10-12 hours into it.

Only thing i worry about is that ur assumptions, which are obv right, wont be used by Gosho as as recurring pattern.

Here's the thing, I didn't start with any assumptions about exactly how or how often Gosho would portray half-blind chars as far as looks go. I simply did the tallies, put some numbers together in a way that I thought was logical, and let the data speak for itself. I looked at the way various characters behaved across almost 250 chapters worth of time for consistency. And the data hath spoken: there are trends which allow you to spot half-blind characters from the numbers alone after they have appeared enough.

He still might come up with Rum doesnt need to turn his/her head everytime since there isnt any dangerous situation. Now obviously some of you will tell, that Gosho is superdetailed on drawing .. but still.. i somehow wouldnt trust in that at all.

I think you underestimate both Gosho's fairness and statistics' power to pierce the veil of seeming randomness to find patterns. I've already been through an analysis like this for handedness which worked flawlessly, so I know math will work on Gosho. Even when Gosho takes a different approach to two characters (say Kuroda vs Kansuke's behavior) it leaves a trail in the numbers.

And somehow i feel we still have too few panels from pretty much every suspicious character to finally judge it.

That's why I took the time to pin down about how many datapoints are needed before calling it. I suggest 120 "non-SS" looks. The only reason I called Sakurako at 80 is because I could tell in the middle of tallying that she was behaving consistently within a case and between cases.

Nice to see ur "suspects" are pretty much similar to mine. I guess ur taking Mary and Shukichi out of it cause its more or less likely confirmed that theyre Akai-family.

They aren't "my suspects". I picked those characters because they are popular suspects in the fandom. I will get around to doing Mary and Shuukichi, but I flagged them as lower priority because most people aren't as suspicious of them.

Btw, if u had to do a final guess on Rum, who would it be ?

None of the major recurring Rum arc characters are appealing in the slightest, so a new character or one we haven't seen much of yet.

Has anyone noticed that the name Asaka, may have some connection with Asaka-no-Miya ( A Japanese Imperial Family) and if rearranged it could be Asaka Miyano. Although I'm sure Gosho-sama would try to restrain himself to refer to any imperial and/or royal families (and it does sound a little bit far fetched), I thought it is something to look into.

8 hours ago, Shinan-Kudogawa said:

Has anyone noticed that the name Asaka, may have some connection with Asaka-no-Miya ( A Japanese Imperial Family) and if rearranged it could be Asaka Miyano. Although I'm sure Gosho-sama would try to restrain himself to refer to any imperial and/or royal families (and it does sound a little bit far fetched), I thought it is something to look into.

The Rum question has a lot of vague parts—at this point, there's plenty to look into, until more info comes (and the same goes, to an even greater degree, with the Anokata question).

9 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

The Rum question has a lot of vague parts—at this point, there's plenty to look into, until more info comes (and the same goes, to an even greater degree, with the Anokata question).

You cannot decide for sure as of yet, but I think it would take at least another couple of years till we get the necessary info..

The forum update seemed to bork the poll so i couldn't update it any more, so I had to recreate the poll and the thread to fix it. Please revote and reupdate your subscriptions. Apologies for the inconvenience.

20 hours ago, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Especially in Anokata's case.

Oh, well in Anokata's case, I believe Gosho had thrown us few hints to draw a frame for his ID. Still far from truth but we do know about Anokata more than we do know about Rum..