Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

Haibara said that Rum should have a fake eye, but we haven't yet seen what Kuroda's eye looks like under the glasses. But it seemes strange, that someone, a chief from Nagano, who has been in a coma for ten years could become superinterdent in Tokyo. 

I think that maybe Kuroda comes from the same bureau as Bourbon(Amuro/Furuya) with the mission on keeping an eye on Conan from the other side, where Bourbon can't involve himself in. I mean the PSB must have decided to investigate Conan after the incident with Akai.

It's a style Gosho used on a guy from Magic Kaito as well, but in the anime it was portrayed as a fake eye. And I agree that Kuroda is Rei's superior, he heard about Conan in the NPA, and apparently the organization Rei works for is directly related to the NPA(?)

The NPA supervises all 47 prefectural police departments of Japan, including the Tokyo MPD. The PSB, which Amuro was apparently working for, is a subdivision of the Tokyo MPD, so it is only indirectly related to the NPA. Also, Kuroda says "You're quite well known in the police department, Edogawa Conan". Rumour about Conan could come from the Nagano department itself, not necessarily from the NPA, since Kansuke, Yui and Komei all have expressed that Conan is way smarter than he looks, with Kansuke even saying about Conan: "I have a feeling that the one who is really in control of it all might be him ... he is a terrible monster, that kid..." back in the Red Wall case, way before Kuroda or Amuro were introduced. If Yui even offhand mentions something about Kansuke regarding Conan as very smart, those kind of rumours might spread faster than one can imagine through the Nagano department.

The NPA supervises all 47 prefectural police departments of Japan, including the Tokyo MPD. The PSB, which Amuro was apparently working for, is a subdivision of the Tokyo MPD, so it is only indirectly related to the NPA. Also, Kuroda says "You're quite well known in the police department, Edogawa Conan". Rumour about Conan could come from the Nagano department itself, not necessarily from the NPA, since Kansuke, Yui and Komei all have expressed that Conan is way smarter than he looks, with Kansuke even saying about Conan: "I have a feeling that the one who is really in control of it all might be him ... he is a terrible monster, that kid..." back in the Red Wall case, way before Kuroda or Amuro were introduced. If Yui even offhand mentions something about Kansuke regarding Conan as very smart, those kind of rumours might spread faster than one can imagine through the Nagano department.

I believe I may have said it before but I barely know anything about how the whole system works, so I can't argue myself, but this is what jimmy-kud0 said on DCTP:

"If you read ch916 in Japanese, Kuroda says that he specifically heard rumors from the NPA (警察庁 Keisatsuchou called National Police Agency in English) that Conan was the brains behind Sleeping Kogoro. Meaning he would have heard it before being transferred to Nagano to begin with. "

I believe I may have said it before but I barely know anything about how the whole system works, so I can't argue myself, but this is what jimmy-kud0 said on DCTP:

"If you read ch916 in Japanese, Kuroda says that he specifically heard rumors from the NPA (警察庁 Keisatsuchou called National Police Agency in English) that Conan was the brains behind Sleeping Kogoro. Meaning he would have heard it before being transferred to Nagano to begin with. "

Still, it's not uncommon for police officers from any of the prefectures to note Conan's smartness, so it could've spread from any of them to the NPA, not necessarily Bourbon. I still think that rumour spread from the Nagano prefecture to the NPA, since Kansuke uses a very similar description as Kuroda does.

Do you remember that the reason why Akai was exposed as a FBI agent was because Camel broke the cover when a old man arrived at the meeting place instead of Gin. Maybe that old man was Rum.

Do you remember that the reason why Akai was exposed as a FBI agent was because Camel broke the cover when a old man arrived at the meeting place instead of Gin. Maybe that old man was Rum.

That's a popular theory pertaining to Rum's identity. That old man hadn't been referenced/appeared before, and hasn't appeared/been referenced since.

• Upvote 1

Still, it's not uncommon for police officers from any of the prefectures to note Conan's smartness, so it could've spread from any of them to the NPA, not necessarily Bourbon. I still think that rumour spread from the Nagano prefecture to the NPA, since Kansuke uses a very similar description as Kuroda does.

So apparently Amuro is from the National Police Agency Security Bureau Security Planning Division. 

Does that add anything to the argument?

I'm suspicious that rum is actually Asaka. It says that Asaka is the suspect who killed haneda kouji but gone somewhere. And then at the end of 950,the dying message is U MASCARA and if we arrange that it can be RUM ASACA.

Its just my thought, I'm not sure yet

My gut instinct is that Rum is Asaka. He's 2/3 match in the image department just with that cruddy photo, long hair yet tough enough to be a bodyguard. The old man bit remains to be seen, but maybe he has an outdated speech style. It's also been 17 years since the incident, so plenty of time for aging/hair color change. No eyes visible is important too.

Also we are getting close to the movie - 3/4 chapters to go depending on breaks. If Rum is going to appear in person in the movie, I think we will see a strong hint in the manga first. If the movie wasn't around the corner, I would be a lot more skeptical, but I see this as a last minute handout for the manga readers since the manga is supposed to be readable without seeing this extra stuff.

• Upvote 1

Interesting, Chek.

Apologies for the "Haibara's Mother" comment, as I hadn't been paying proper attention.

Now the question is, where had we seen him before? As per Gosho's postcard.

I am pretty convinced at this point the Postcard was referring to Lum invader, who did cameo just before that postcard came out.

• Upvote 2

It was an Animal Crossings hint, not a postcard. and according to the records on the AC hint page, it came out on the exact same day as file 906's official Sunday release date, which has the Rum descriptions in it AND Lum-chan at the beginning. The problem  arises that its written in katakana, which Gosho has used for both Rum and Lum in the past. 

2014-09-03 906 じつは もうラムは でてたりしてw (Diamond) - The truth is, Rum has already appeared (laughs)

Some breakthrough info, as I recently watched the 4th trailer of the 20th movie and with the info that Gosho-sama said that the Rum that will appear in the movie is the real deal. I started watching carefully, and stopped upon this instant hype image of what would be a very suitable candidate for Rum. If you notice he's is feminine and supposedly strong and and old person since perhaps he cut his hair after killing Kouji and Amanda, also another point to take interest of; he somewhat reminds me very of Asou Seiji the feminine man in the Moonlight Sonata. I'm not sure if it holds as a solid theory and neither is this picture, but notice how also the right eye of the person in the pic is hidden by Vermouth's head and the person's presence lights up soon as Haibara mentions the 2nd in command, not to mention the serious face and the effort in drawing the character, plus it does seem as if he is eavesdropping on Vermouth. Got me way too hyped for the movie it's only about 4-5 weeks ahead.

post-28472-0-07355000-1457787941_thumb.p

Some breakthrough info, as I recently watched the 4th trailer of the 20th movie and with the info that Gosho-sama said that the Rum that will appear in the movie is the real deal. I started watching carefully, and stopped upon this instant hype image of what would be a very suitable candidate for Rum. If you notice he's is feminine and supposedly strong and and old person since perhaps he cut his hair after killing Kouji and Amanda, also another point to take interest of; he somewhat reminds me very of Asou Seiji the feminine man in the Moonlight Sonata. I'm not sure if it holds as a solid theory and neither is this picture, but notice how also the right eye of the person in the pic is hidden by Vermouth's head and the person's presence lights up soon as Haibara mentions the 2nd in command, not to mention the serious face and the effort in drawing the character, plus it does seem as if he is eavesdropping on Vermouth. Got me way too hyped for the movie it's only about 4-5 weeks ahead.

2016-03-12 (2).png

Majority of the background characters are well animated in the movies! You could take any background character from any scene and draw parallells to the Rum descriprions.

Majority of the background characters are well animated in the movies! You could take any background character from any scene and draw parallells to the Rum descriprions.

True, but this one is the only one to be so suspicious, furthermore this is the only background character besides a seemingly unrelated couple with only their legs showing and two kids who are seemingly innocent. It may be nothing to notice, it just stroke me as having a one eye hidden and the characteristics are falling in a reasonable manner.. 

The fact that Rum being Asaka or that Rum was there 17 years ago eliminates any character that are younger than 37 year old from suspicion (like Rum was at least 20 years old when he appeared 17 years ago in Amanda's murder case

I am starting to get the Lum Invader theory convincing,they might be a new character

The fact that Rum being Asaka or that Rum was there 17 years ago eliminates any character that are younger than 37 year old from suspicion (like Rum was at least 20 years old when he appeared 17 years ago in Amanda's murder case

I am starting to get the Lum Invader theory convincing,they might be a new character

Unless Rum is like Vermouth and that is being subject to Silver Bullet therefore sustaining the aging factor (though unlikely), or that his mere feminine looks makes him seem younger..if he is 37 he could pass as 25-30 I know of people with similar cases..

I wonder if Gosho Aoyama is not trying to pull a "REDRUM" joke on us by implying that Shuichi Akai's father was involved in a past crime in which Rum was the murderer. Maybe that's too cliche but still he's definitely associating the words "Red" and "Rum" together on the same case.

Still, Shuichi Akai himself is an handsome man who could look like a woman with his long hairs so, if his father looks just like him but older, he could fit all three descriptions of Rum.

I wonder if Gosho Aoyama is not trying to pull a "REDRUM" joke on us by implying that Shuichi Akai's father was involved in a past crime in which Rum was the murderer. Maybe that's too cliche but still he's definitely associating the words "Red" and "Rum" together on the same case.

Still, Shuichi Akai himself is an handsome man who could look like a woman with his long hairs so, if his father looks just like him but older, he could fit all three descriptions of Rum.

What is " REDRUM" referencing?

What is " REDRUM" referencing?

"Redrum" is "Murder" in reverse.

"Akai" means "Red" (Shuichi Akai's name comes partially from "Akai Suisei", the "Red Comet", the nickname of Char Aznable in Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin). Rum is the name of the new BO operative. "Redrum" is a cliche in detective fiction, sometimes as an alias used by an unknown murderer.

• Upvote 1