Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

I think Vermouth disguised as Araide in order to go after Shiho. That is Vermouth picked Araide as a target because she already knew where Ai was from the very beginning and planned to get close. (It makes the most sense that Vermouth saw Ai and Conan at the party, and then searched around Shinichi's friends because she recognized him and found Agasa's place.) Her hunt for Ai in her office - pretending not to know where Ai was until later - was for the FBI's benefit because she knew she was being spied on and needed time to find out who all the FBI members were so she could get their names and addresses (she said she was doing this in the Showdown).

I think Vermouth disguised as Araide in order to go after Shiho. That is Vermouth picked Araide as a target because she already knew where Ai was from the very beginning and planned to get close. (It makes the most sense that Vermouth saw Ai and Conan at the party, and then searched around Shinichi's friends because she recognized him and found Agasa's place.) Her hunt for Ai in her office - pretending not to know where Ai was until later - was for the FBI's benefit because she knew she was being spied on and needed time to find out who all the FBI members were so she could get their names and addresses (she said she was doing this in the Showdown).

I think she had plenty of good opportunities to kill Shiho/Ai if she not only knew that she'd been shrunk, but that she was also hanging around with the likewise-shrunken Shinichi, and all this from the very start of the Vermouth arc (238–242/176–178). If she stole Kogoro's case files just after the bus hijacking (287–289/230–231), and returned them on Valentine's Day (331–334/266–268), I would assume she would've been able to ID all the FBI agents well before The Four Porsches (420–422/338–339) and also able to pinpoint Shiho's/Ai's places of residence through various inquiries. She could've gone after Shiho/Ai when Shinichi/Conan and Agasa were out (380–383/309–311)—she could've also bugged the place, before said case, after finding out where it was, which would've allowed her to know that there was no one at home. She even could've tried during the school play murder (255–257/190–191) if she realized that nobody but Shiho/Ai could've impersonated Conan.

This is why I don't think she figured out Shiho's/Ai's circumstances and location until The Four Porsches, when she saw her as Ariade—she then bugged the place, and waited for the right time to strike.

Still, in either case, the FBI should've just caught her, at any point between, let's say 243/172 and 428/344—it's not as if they had any shortage of opportunities to do so.

Also, is your post a reply to mine, meant to convey the idea that James Black could be BO and is just waiting for the right time?

Andre has seen Shiho/Ai... and he knows that Kir is a spy AND, now, that Shuichi faked his death. Rum just wouldn't sit on that information and do nothing.

I've heard theories that James Black is BO—but I don't take those seriously, because it's trying to explain something (the FBI being outclassed by the BO without Shinichi/Conan and Shuichi from the end of the Vermouth arc, onwards) that already has an explanation... Gosho chose to make the BO more intimidating by dumbing down the FBI instead of simply making the BO smarter. Plus, not only has he seen Shiho/Ai, but knows who she is—there's no way Rum would sit on that information for over 500 Files/450 Episodes. (It's made clear the FBI knows Shiho/Ai is Sherry in File 435/Episode 346, when she's offered a position in the witness protection program, and both Jodie and James, himself, make a reference to her in File 622/Episode 509 and File 677/Episode 563—they know she's Sherry. If he's BO, then why hasn't he told Anokata?) In fact, anyone who's seen Shiho/Ai and hasn't done something immediately after (As Shiho/Ai suggested, in relation to Hyoue, in File 925), they can be eliminated as a BO suspect. This has precedence—Vermouth didn't go after Shiho/Ai until she saw her as Ariade in File 422/Episode 339. Up to that point, while disguised as Ariade, she didn't see Shiho/Ai, which explained, then, why Shuichi wasn't out to kill Shiho/Ai. This also explained why Subaru was really Shuichi.

I didn't say we take the theory seriously.. I said myself that I don't support it, but it quite interesting the similarities..maybe like vermouth he plays on his behalf and is not loyal but not a traitor.. Still it is not like I am supporting that Camel is Rum..so there is no point in talking about it..

I didn't say we take the theory seriously.. I said myself that I don't support it, but it quite interesting the similarities..maybe like vermouth he plays on his behalf and is not loyal but not a traitor.. Still it is not like I am supporting that Camel is Rum..so there is no point in talking about it..

Didn't say you were implying that we should or that you do support it.  ^_^

And the theory that James Black is BO? What do you think of that?

Didn't say you were implying that we should or that you do support it.  ^_^

And the theory that James Black is BO? What do you think of that?

Someone I met in real life says he does believe James is Anokata, however I countered his statement as Vermouth knows the id of James. and that like Camel he saw Haibara and knows about her but did not take any measures against her. plus, James is implied as being less smarter than Shuu and I don't think such a person could be RUM unless he is faking it. Put some points are contradictory, such as the active boos in japan of the FBI is not all that smart like the rest of the detectives, having a similar blonde (at his first introduction in the anime) hair like that of Vermouth's 'husband'. He knew of Shuu's fake death plan, supports Conan's judgement and involvement. Conan linked his name to James Moriarty, and his last name is Black.

But the emphasizing points that James is NOT Anokata, is the fact that he is known as a boss of a certain company (Gosho-sama said that if you would know the real name of the BO you would know it's boss ID). therefore everyone would know his ID, He was kidnapped in his first introduction into the series, Shuu spends his time with the FBI therefore he would have deduced Jame's ID, also story-wise it would be weak if the FBI is lead by a BO and they are hunting the BO so if the leader is revealed as a member of the BO it would leave the FBI struggling with no active leader to make it strong enough to face the BO unless Shuu steps as a leader. But Shuu seems more like a lone-wolf preferring to abide things and secrets to himself, so it is very contradictory that James is a member, not to mention the BOSS.

Someone I met in real life says he does believe James is Anokata, however I countered his statement as Vermouth knows the id of James. and that like Camel he saw Haibara and knows about her but did not take any measures against her. plus, James is implied as being less smarter than Shuu and I don't think such a person could be RUM unless he is faking it. Put some points are contradictory, such as the active boos in japan of the FBI is not all that smart like the rest of the detectives, having a similar blonde (at his first introduction in the anime) hair like that of Vermouth's 'husband'. He knew of Shuu's fake death plan, supports Conan's judgement and involvement. Conan linked his name to James Moriarty, and his last name is Black.

But the emphasizing points that James is NOT Anokata, is the fact that he is known as a boss of a certain company (Gosho-sama said that if you would know the real name of the BO you would know it's boss ID). therefore everyone would know his ID, He was kidnapped in his first introduction into the series, Shuu spends his time with the FBI therefore he would have deduced Jame's ID, also story-wise it would be weak if the FBI is lead by a BO and they are hunting the BO so if the leader is revealed as a member of the BO it would leave the FBI struggling with no active leader to make it strong enough to face the BO unless Shuu steps as a leader. But Shuu seems more like a lone-wolf preferring to abide things and secrets to himself, so it is very contradictory that James is a member, not to mention the BOSS.

I completely agree.

The reason the FBI, without Shuichi and Shinichi/Conan, seem unprepared to face the BO is because Gosho decided, after the Vermouth arc, that all the protagonists except for Shinichi/Conan and Shuichi couldn't be both good and smart—the BO people had to be smarter.

Before they were revealed to be FBI, Jodie, James and Andre were all very competent.

I completely agree.

The reason the FBI, without Shuichi and Shinichi/Conan, seem unprepared to face the BO is because Gosho decided, after the Vermouth arc, that all the protagonists except for Shinichi/Conan and Shuichi couldn't be both good and smart—the BO people had to be smarter.

Before they were revealed to be FBI, Jodie, James and Andre were all very competent.

Actually it is a noted pattern, to notice someone combatant who turns out a villain in some point.. Shuu was not much at first it was later seen that he is skilled, while Amuro seen as being a very capable detective turns out to be BO eventhough he is an enemy of the enemies..

Actually it is a noted pattern, to notice someone combatant who turns out a villain in some point.

Indeed.

Amuro, being a very capable detective, turns out to be BO eventhough he is an enemy of the enemies..

Well, he's the Amuro Ray to Shuichi's Char Aznable—he has to be on a similar level, if not the same level, to be considered his rival.

He was hinted to be BO (793–821), hinted to be PSB (804–808), revealed to be BO (823), and finally revealed to be PSB (897), all in that order.

Since I haven't seen any discussion over here, lets post the same stuff over here

Movie 20 has released a short promotional video to hype people up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k315Ho2AUBM

The video features the main cast that are going to appear in the movie

also featured is a strange pair of eyes with two different colored iris's 

Because we already know that Rum is supposed to appear somewhere in the moive

some people are speculating that these could be Rum's eyes (although I think differently)

Below in the spoiler box are 8 frames of the pair of eyes from the above video so you can decide for yourself. 

trailereyes.jpg
trailereyes2.jpg
trailereyes3.jpg
trailereyes4.jpg
trailereyes5.jpg
trailereyes6.jpg
trailereyes7.jpg
trailereyes8.jpg

Since I haven't seen any discussion over here, lets post the same stuff over here

Movie 20 has released a short promotional video to hype people up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k315Ho2AUBM

The video features the main cast that are going to appear in the movie

also featured is a strange pair of eyes with two different colored iris's 

Because we already know that Rum is supposed to appear somewhere in the moive

some people are speculating that these could be Rum's eyes (although I think differently)

Below in the spoiler box are 8 frames of the pair of eyes from the above video so you can decide for yourself. 

trailereyes.jpg
trailereyes2.jpg
trailereyes3.jpg
trailereyes4.jpg
trailereyes5.jpg
trailereyes6.jpg
trailereyes7.jpg
trailereyes8.jpg

The left eye (right from the POV of the character) looks like that of Shuu, although interesting enough. What if RUM is the 2nd brother who accomplish miracles and became the 2nd in command..

You know, that's not how you do spoilers here.

This is.

Also, there is a seperate thread for speculation about Rum here: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/5102-discussion-thread-about-rum/

Additionally, maybe you should post who you speculate to be Rum without censorship, if you're already putting it in spoiler tags. And maybe you should also support your speculation with some sort of explanation, that would be helpful.

Well, it's close to Shuu, but the second line under the eye is not something the Akai family has. Maybe it's a disguise, but then it could be anyone really.

The left eye (right from the POV of the character) looks like that of Shuu, although interesting enough. What if RUM is the 2nd brother who accomplish miracles and became the 2nd in command..

if u watched the trailor once again those are eyes of Vermouth as shown in trailor if pause that part of vermouth.

if u watched the trailor once again those are eyes of Vermouth as shown in trailor if pause that part of vermouth.

Actually, no, the eyes look nothing like Vermouth's, these eyes are very unique and so far I don't think any character in DC has them.

Those eyes are neither shukichi's nor vermouth ,(and they dont look anything like Heizo's/kuroda's or Takaai's eyes)

They look femalish though,maybe a new movie-only character

It's too early to reveal anything about RUM in November considering that we still haven't got any approach in the manga about who he might be

You should take a good look at the video and check vermouth out ...it's just a glimpse but pretty sure those are her eyes.

Rum's identity is no where in the trailor but speculation will make an impact that RUM will be revealed in the MOVIE first..

You should take a good look at the video and check vermouth out ...it's just a glimpse but pretty sure those are her eyes.

Rum's identity is no where in the trailor but speculation will make an impact that RUM will be revealed in the MOVIE first..

Again, no, the eyes appear, and then Vermouth appears, but the eyes are not Vermouth's, her eyes have no lines under them and they eyebrows are different, it looks completely different, also, there is no reason to just show her eyes anyway.

Again, no, the eyes appear, and then Vermouth appears, but the eyes are not Vermouth's, her eyes have no lines under them and they eyebrows are different, it looks completely different, also, there is no reason to just show her eyes anyway.

Again , I insist you pause the video take snap and then cross-check.!!

Yeah, it's most definitely not Vermouth. I admit, her eyes look different in this trailer than usual, but they do not look like the two eyes, with the two lines being the most glaring difference.

B6HSs5P.png

ZZdDxqr.png

Vermouth_Profile.jpg

Vermouth_After.jpg

Yeah, it's most definitely not Vermouth. I admit, her eyes look different in this trailer than usual, but they do not look like the two eyes, with the two lines being the most glaring difference.

B6HSs5P.png

ZZdDxqr.png

Vermouth_Profile.jpg

Vermouth_After.jpg

Lol one eye only looks like vermouth . :P:) other one looks like Akai or Sera :P:) Oops my bad .>

Lol one eye only looks like vermouth . :P:) other one looks like Akai or Sera :P:) Oops my bad .>

Look closer, that's not Vermouth's eye and not Akai or Sera's either. Vermouth doesn't have such a sharp line at the side of her eye and doesn't have lines under her eyes. Akai/Sera/MG would fit better, but they only have one line under their eyes, while the eyes in the trailer has two. It's not Vermouth and it's not Sera or Akai.

The eye design in the promo is entirely new. They don't match up with any character we've seen in the series before.

The options to me are that this could either be a movie only character, and will have nothing to do with Rum or canon, or that it is just something included in the promo to generate hype and won't even be featured in the movie at all.

I think the eyes being Rum would be extremely unlikely for a couple reasons. Not only would it be incredibly odd for them to do such a significant reveal in a promo video, not even an official trailer, and with the information we have on Rum in the manga, but if this truly were Rum, I think it's a bit ambiguous that they even have a prosthetic. There's surely a difference, and the eyes don't really match up with how Goudzou's prosthetic was shown in MK1412, of course, this was done by a different animation studio, and wasn't shown in the manga either, so it's not really relevant either.

Lastly, I really don't think Rum will have two different colored eyes. I think if Rum had two different colored eyes, and one of them was a prosthetic, the rumors wouldn't be nearly as consistent. I think that Rum's prosthetic will be more akin to Goudzou's in that it was more "realistic" looking. It also seems sensible to me that if you were to get an artificial eye, you wouldn't get one of a different color...

• Upvote 1

You know, that's not how you do spoilers here.

This is.

Also, there is a seperate thread for speculation about Rum here: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/5102-discussion-thread-about-rum/

Additionally, maybe you should post who you speculate to be Rum without censorship, if you're already putting it in spoiler tags. And maybe you should also support your speculation with some sort of explanation, that would be helpful.

he is shown in the vampire mansion arc "rikushige kago" he often keeps his eyes closed. and whenever he open, its only the right eye always. also in that arc haibara was absent. so she could not have seen him.

he is shown in the vampire mansion arc "rikushige kago" he often keeps his eyes closed. and whenever he open, its only the right eye always. also in that arc haibara was absent. so she could not have seen him.

Hm, nice pick, although I don't see how he'd fit two of the three Rum characteristics. He's certainly an old man, but how would he fit the "strong built man" (he a rather thin man) and the "feminine" part?