Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

Good Evening...

BD or others should you translate last five cartoon of this image: http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/w%3D580/sign=eb7068cbdd33c895a67e9873e1127397/7737c0f9d72a6059c179fe462c34349b033bba3d.jpg

It's very important because it loooks like Rum is that old one eyed man, so...

is this the last page of chapter 920? (that's what appeared when I tried to open the link as new tab)

If so it has been translated in the DCTP forums 

Kuroda's lines are as follows:

"君なら事件解決の手助けをしてくれると信じていたよ”

”眠りの小五郎の知恵袋ならね”

”この度、松本清長警視正に代わり”

”警視庁捜査一課の管理官に就いた黒田兵衛です。”

”以後、お見知り置きを”

”君も...よろしくな...江戸川コナン君”

(DCTP : http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12662&start=75#p851738 )

"I believed that you would contribute to solving the case."

"'Cause you're Sleepin' Kogorou's pearl of wisdom."

"I'm the one who'll replace the current Superintendent, Matsumoto Kiyonaga..."

"... And becine the CO who'll handle Police HQ's 1st Division, Kuroda Hyoue..."

"I'd like of you (police officers) to bear that in mind."

"And you too... Looking forward to it (to interacting with you), Edogawa Conan - kun." 

(translated by Spimer : http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12662&start=75#p851762 )

Essentially Megure and Takagi are thanking Agasa for solving the case and Takagi also thanks Conan. Kuroda appears and says that Conan must have contributed because he knows that Conan is the person behind Sleeping Kogoro. Kuroda then states that he will be replacing Matsumoto as the head of the first division at the Tokyo police department. Then he leans down and basically says that he is looking forward to working with Conan.  

is this the last page of chapter 920? (that's what appeared when I tried to open the link as new tab)

”眠りの小五郎の知恵袋ならね”

”この度、松本清長警視正に代わり”

”警視庁捜査一課の管理官に就いた黒田兵衛です。”

”以後、お見知り置きを”

”君も...よろしくな...江戸川コナン君”

"And you too... Looking forward to it (to interacting with you), Edogawa Conan - kun." 

(translated by Spimer : http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12662&start=75#p851762 )

Essentially Megure and Takagi are thanking Agasa for solving the case and Takagi also thanks Conan. Kuroda appears and says that Conan must have contributed because he knows that Conan is the person behind Sleeping Kogoro. Kuroda then states that he will be replacing Matsumoto as the head of the first division at the Tokyo police department. Then he leans down and basically says that he is looking forward to working with Conan.  

”眠りの小五郎の知恵袋ならね”

”この度、松本清長警視正に代わり”

”警視庁捜査一課の管理官に就いた黒田兵衛です。”

”以後、お見知り置きを”

”君も...よろしくな...江戸川コナン君”

Interesting!

Why Haibara behind conan?

Everyone who thinks Kuroda is Rum needs to remember Gosho's classic pattern

Suspicious: Jodie Starling, Akai, James Black, Kir, Eisuke, Camel, Okiya --> Not the bad guy

Nice Person: Araide, Amuro Tohru  --> The bad guy

I'm not saying Kuroda can't be Rum, but Gosho does do some of the same things over and over again which should be kept in mind.

• Upvote 3

Curiosity: 

Do you think Rum will only be discovered at the end of the story along with the Boss (or shortly before) or will it happen halfway through the story and Rum will be removed from the scene by death or arrest and the Boss will have to search for another second-in-command for the rest of the story?

Curiosity: 

Do you think Rum will only be discovered at the end of the story along with the Boss (or shortly before) or will it happen halfway through the story and Rum will be removed from the scene by death or arrest and the Boss will have to search for another second-in-command for the rest of the story?

Personally, I am assuming a standard mystery person arc, as long as there isn't evidence for otherwise.

• Upvote 1

For me, I think it will be like this: RUM's identity will be discovered halfway through the arc, but he will still remain, just like with Bourbon, but at the end of the arc, he would be captured or something like that, either leading Conan and the FBI to get massive information about the BO or RUM will die without talking, Gin will probably become the 2nd in command in the BO after RUM.

Completely wild and incorrect speculation coming, but I just wanted to get this thoughts out of my system.

On a Japanese speculation site, apparently RUM could possibly stand for:

R = Ran

U = ??? (Personally am inclined to say Vodka, because ウオッカ uokka, and have we even seen his eyes ... he's also super observant)

M = Masumi

Chances are it's not really true (because it only barely fulfils the categories of feminine, old and buff/muscular), but it's a funny/interesting idea to think about. 

Something that nags at me is how Air Gear once had an important member of a team that was comprised entirely of its grunts who made its decision after a vote of general consensus, and presumably acting on their decision after that. The grunts's opinions were all collated on a massive computer screen ... so there's this small part of me wondering if RUM is the same thing, because it'd tie into the Org's programming/computer stuff and explain the variation in physique. The real Rum would be the guy running the RUM program, and would be the guy who has the prosthetic.

I'll admit upfront that both possibilities are pretty impossible, lol. 

I guess Rum is Heiji Hattori's father, Heizo Hattori, Heizo is a strongly-built man indeed.

also "Heizo Hattori is the highest ranking officer at the Osaka Prefectural Police Headquarters; he is Superintendent Supervisor (Rank 2)"

Rum is "the number two-ranked agent in the Organization", after Anokata.

and according to the theory: "Rum has a damaged eye which has been replaced with an artificial eye"

Have you noticed that Heizo sometimes has one eye open? 

Here are some proofs from the manga that I have collected so far (please notice his eye guys):

16_zps30b792c3.jpg

161_zps95aa3c9e.jpg

51_zpsb3c1370c.jpg

And his characteristic (from wiki):

Any ideas?

This is interesting. Since it's artificial, I don't think it's really obvious but at the same time there would be a difference from the normal. In this case, the closing of the eyes while talking. It would also be interesting to see Heiji's father (yes, I want to emphasize it) to be a member of BO. He is influential and a member of the chief of police. If in the next series Heiji and his father would be there, I will definitely insist that he is RUM for 2 reasons. 1. It makes sense. 2. It adds another dimension to the plot

Here are my thoughts about RUM (with the help of the ideas of the posts here too)

1. Heizo Hattori is Rum.

2. Kansuke is not RUM because of the reasons stated here.

3. Kuroda is the "higher" officer of Rei Furuya in the Secret Police because

a. He is old. 

b. He is introduced after the Scarlet series.

c. He was in comatose for 10 years. I don't think a second-in-command for BO would be someone coming from a comatose but it is feasible to have a  "higher officer" coming from a comatose. 

4. His mission is to identify (and eliminate) the rats in the organization and it is interesting to see that he is also a "rat" in the Police department. A high-ranked rat in particular

5. Unlike Kir and Boubon, he is loyal to the BO.

6. Rum might actually be Kuroda, not an officer in SP. Based on the spoilers I see for the next chapter, Ai is hiding behind Conan when Conan was approached by Kuroda - hinting that she smells the BO aura in him. 

ps. Im happy to see that many are also pissed? that there are too many unloyal BO members being introduced. (Almost half of the BO members are/were not really loyal... Bourbon, Kir, Rye, Scotch, Ethan Hondou, Miyano sisters, and even Vermouth)

This is interesting. Since it's artificial, I don't think it's really obvious but at the same time there would be a difference from the normal. In this case, the closing of the eyes while talking. It would also be interesting to see Heiji's father (yes, I want to emphasize it) to be a member of BO. He is influential and a member of the chief of police. If in the next series Heiji and his father would be there, I will definitely insist that he is RUM for 2 reasons. 1. It makes sense. 2. It adds another dimension to the plot

Here are my thoughts about RUM (with the help of the ideas of the posts here too)

1. Heizo Hattori is Rum.

2. Kansuke is not RUM because of the reasons stated here.

3. Kuroda is the "higher" officer of Rei Furuya in the Secret Police because

a. He is old. 

b. He is introduced after the Scarlet series.

c. He was in comatose for 10 years. I don't think a second-in-command for BO would be someone coming from a comatose but it is feasible to have a  "higher officer" coming from a comatose. 

4. His mission is to identify (and eliminate) the rats in the organization and it is interesting to see that he is also a "rat" in the Police department. A high-ranked rat in particular

5. Unlike Kir and Boubon, he is loyal to the BO.

6. Rum might actually be Kuroda, not an officer in SP. Based on the spoilers I see for the next chapter, Ai is hiding behind Conan when Conan was approached by Kuroda - hinting that she smells the BO aura in him. 

ps. Im happy to see that many are also pissed? that there are too many unloyal BO members being introduced. (Almost half of the BO members are/were not really loyal... Bourbon, Kir, Rye, Scotch, Ethan Hondou, Miyano sisters, and even Vermouth)

I don't think Kuroda is RUM for many reasons as I stated in my post, but not only that, according to Gosho, RUM has already appeared, and that was said before chapter 906, which is before Kuroda's introduction, that still doesn't 100% denies him of being RUM though, I also don't think it's Heizo is RUM, because the characteristics of RUM don't appear, he is also too young to be the 2nd in command in my opinion, and he also opens his eye sometimes, so the argument is not really strong, as for Haibara hiding behind Conan, I refuse to believe that it is her BO sense until she says that she feels it from him.

And yeah, having a lot of non-loyal members/rats in the BO makes it seem less dangerous. 

For Hattori Heizo people, he has opened both of his eyes before.
It just seems to depend on which way his face is pointing at the time.
(images from volumes 31 and 32 respectfully)

hattori%20heizo%201.png
hattori%20heizo%202.png

Can you give me a link or something? :o

I sent a link through messaging since I wasn't sure whether it was against the rules or not to post direct links

I wonder, do you think it's Kuroda? Or someone else?

I posted a picture of Kuroda looking at Conan. Sherry appears afraid. That's all. Unless.. you think that's someone in disguise... You gotta check the Spoiler Manga thingy Thread about the latest chapters. Also.. someone in the spoilers.. translated the last page of this chapter, if it wasn't translated already. Based on Kuroda's introduction to Conan, he knows a lot that Conan is the Wisdom Pearl of the Sleeping Kurry. Perhaps he knows more, it's not known.

I posted a picture of Kuroda looking at Conan. Sherry appears afraid. That's all. Unless.. you think that's someone in disguise... You gotta check the Spoiler Manga thingy Thread about the latest chapters. Also.. someone in the spoilers.. translated the last page of this chapter, if it wasn't translated already. Based on Kuroda's introduction to Conan, he knows a lot that Conan is the Wisdom Pearl of the Sleeping Kurry. Perhaps he knows more, it's not known.

I know that already, I just think it's way too simple to assume that he is RUM because of that, Haibara being scared doesn't mean it's her BO sense, she might be scared because he looks scary and might be RUM, if it was her BO sense, she would tell Conan obviously and the whole thing will be clear and Conan will tell the FBI that Kuroda is probably RUM or something, besides Gosho said that RUM has appeared before, and that was before file 906, Kuroda appeared at file 913, unless Gosho is just trolling us with that statement or Kuroda appeared sometime before in disguise then Kuroda being RUM is not happening, besides it would be way too obvious and we know Gohso's style.

Edited by Uchiha Shadow
  • Upvote 2

Im just thinking can matsumoto be RUM?

why suddenly superintendent matsumoto kiyonaga was replaced by kuroda hoyue?he also have the high rank in the police department right?

matsumoto left eye already been damaged by the 'let it be' whistling guy and now the eye can be open nicely maybe because its an artificial eye..yep i know it never been mentioned before but gosho said RUM already appeared somewhere before right?he's bulky,old, the feminine part i couldnt find from him..

Its just a thought that came crossed my mind

Im just thinking can matsumoto be RUM?

why suddenly superintendent matsumoto kiyonaga was replaced by kuroda hoyue?he also have the high rank in the police department right?

matsumoto left eye already been damaged by the 'let it be' whistling guy and now the eye can be open nicely maybe because its an artificial eye..yep i know it never been mentioned before but gosho said RUM already appeared somewhere before right?he's bulky,old, the feminine part i couldnt find from him..

Its just a thought that came crossed my mind

I honestly doubt it, his eye doesn't look artificial, since Gosho has his way of showing artificial eyes, and we know that he will be there in his daughter's wedding years after the series ends, I doubt he'd be released from prison after just a few years, the fact that Gosho told us that fact means that he never planned for Matsumoto to be a member of the organization.

From what BD and Dreamskye have translated, it seems like Matsumoto was promoted and Kuroda will succeed him in his old position.

Could it be Osamu Kenzaki? ---------------->100px-Osamu_Kenzaki.jpg

Has long hair(female part), is a male with masculine features and in his detective Samonji shows that he has a cut on his left eye, the old man part i am not very sure.

• Upvote 1