Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

I guess Rum is Heiji Hattori's father, Heizo Hattori, Heizo is a strongly-built man indeed.

also "Heizo Hattori is the highest ranking officer at the Osaka Prefectural Police Headquarters; he is Superintendent Supervisor (Rank 2)"

Rum is "the number two-ranked agent in the Organization", after Anokata.

and according to the theory: "Rum has a damaged eye which has been replaced with an artificial eye"

Have you noticed that Heizo sometimes has one eye open? 

Here are some proofs from the manga that I have collected so far (please notice his eye guys):

16_zps30b792c3.jpg

161_zps95aa3c9e.jpg

51_zpsb3c1370c.jpg

And his characteristic (from wiki):

He has a very serious attitude and seemingly cold, especially when he punched his son in front of many people hard enough for Heiji to fall down.

Heizo possesses a very sharp intellect and observation skills. His intelligence is on par with Yusaku Kudo, given how both fathers are able to solve a case before their sons do; Heizo was able to correctly deduce the culprit in the murder cases that involved Toyotomi's castle. His deduction skills were further demonstrated during a flashback, when he was able to solve case just by listening to the details on phone and give hint to Heiji. He is also the highest ranking officer at Osaka Prefectural police Headquarters, and thus has the command of many of the police officers of Osaka.

Any ideas?

subaru okiya is also a character that rarely open his eyes. 

if BO have spy in police, it will be more pausible to be put in totori (new character -_-).

So far, Gosho have rule out agasa and yusaku. will he rule out heizo too?

• Upvote 1

I've always thought that RUM, was an abbreviation for three different name's of their first letter to form the name RUM toghether, but then again, it just wouldn't make sense. (And I haven't watched all of the episodes yet, still in the 500's close to 600's.) I've read the latest manga episodes though.

I guess Rum is Heiji Hattori's father, Heizo Hattori, Heizo is a strongly-built man indeed.

also "Heizo Hattori is the highest ranking officer at the Osaka Prefectural Police Headquarters; he is Superintendent Supervisor (Rank 2)"
Rum is "the number two-ranked agent in the Organization", after Anokata.

and according to the theory: "Rum has a damaged eye which has been replaced with an artificial eye"
Have you noticed that Heizo sometimes has one eye open? 

Here are some proofs from the manga that I have collected so far (please notice his eye guys):

16_zps30b792c3.jpg
161_zps95aa3c9e.jpg

51_zpsb3c1370c.jpg

And his characteristic (from wiki):

Any ideas?

Wow, nice find! I remember watching that episode, and I was quite curious on why his right eye was closed as well. Did they ever explain it in the series? It's been a while since I've last seen that episode, so my memory is a little fuzzy from it. I'm wondering if that could have been in an imposter, but then again, it just doesn't seem to add up that much. :/

subaru okiya is also a character that rarely open his eyes.

Well, it is true that Subaru Okiya rarely opens his eyes, but isn't his true identity 

Shuichi Akai?

Both company president Goudzou from the Magic Kaito manga from Phantom Lady's backstory and detective Kuroda Hyoue have a fake eye. For any Rum hunters out there, here is how Gosho draws people who have both fake eyes and glasses in the manga. The fake eye side is shaded so that the eye is not visible through the glass. Furthermore this is done quite consistently in all panels, so it looks like the glasses are half regular glass half sunglasses.

aw2dXEn.png

In the anime, the fake eye is shown, but the pupil doesn't change size at all or react like the other eye. The eye just stays still and remains expressionless. For some reason the fake eye side doesn't blink which is strange because eyelids should still work. It is possible this pupil-never-changes convention might hold over to the manga (in case Rum does not wear glasses), but that's quite questionable.

7q8RjXU.png?1

• Upvote 1

First of all, Yamato cannot be Rum since the real Rum has an artificial eye but Yamato is only one-eyed and doesn't have an artificial eye.

It will be interesting if Rum somehow turns out to be the Akai family's middle brother but again this poses a contradiction since Akai was once in the BO and if Rum was his brother, he should have known him and also Akai's younger bro couldn't have been 'elderly'.

I really hope this time Rum is a real loyal fearsome BO agent and not some undercover like Kir and Boubon because this will be too repititive.

• Rum might be an entirely new character just like what happened in the case of Bourbon. Early on, hints were dropped which led first Subaru and then Masumi to be suspected as Bourbon. But finally, Amuro who was introduced the last amomg the three of them, turned out to be the real one. So, going by this theory, Rum is yet to be introduced.
  • Also since RUM is always capitalised, Rum could actually imply a group of 3 persons in BO one of whom is elderly, other one is feminine and the last one has a strong build. But again, this theory falls weak since it is unlikely that all three of them are one-eyed and it is said that everyone who met Rum has said he is one-eyed.

First of all, Yamato cannot be Rum since the real Rum has an artificial eye but Yamato is only one-eyed and doesn't have an artificial eye.

It will be interesting if Rum somehow turns out to be the Akai family's middle brother but again this poses a contradiction since Akai was once in the BO and if Rum was his brother, he should have known him and also Akai's younger bro couldn't have been 'elderly'.

I really hope this time Rum is a real loyal fearsome BO agent and not some undercover like Kir and Boubon because this will be too repititive.

• Rum might be an entirely new character just like what happened in the case of Bourbon. Early on, hints were dropped which led first Subaru and then Masumi to be suspected as Bourbon. But finally, Amuro who was introduced the last amomg the three of them, turned out to be the real one. So, going by this theory, Rum is yet to be introduced.
  • Also since RUM is always capitalised, Rum could actually imply a group of 3 persons in BO one of whom is elderly, other one is feminine and the last one has a strong build. But again, this theory falls weak since it is unlikely that all three of them are one-eyed and it is said that everyone who met Rum has said he is one-eyed.

I am also suspecting that Rum might be an entirely new character as well.

RUM could be an organization, but yes the theory does fall weak.

Just noticed that Amuro's name has the word 'rum' in it backwords in between the o and the A. :P

I've updated the poll since we have at least 2 "suspects" now (with one acting overly suspicious). Poll about Rum's mission/objective/goal is included for wild speculation as well.

Note: If you have trouble re-voting, please delete your old votes first.

• Upvote 1

Just a thought, but could it be possible that Kir meant "RUN" instead of "RUM" in the message but mistyped? Someone mentioned before that it was strange the codename was written in English capital letters rather than Japanese.. perhaps she was not referring to the codename member Rum at all, but instead was giving a warning..? This seems pretty unlikely, but just a thought that popped into my head. But if she did mean "RUN", what could that imply? 

About the Org member Rum, I highly doubt it's Kansuke Yamato, but I wonder why Gosho would make him such an obvious choice. None of the other characters he had implicated in the past (Jodie, Okiya, etc.) were as obvious in terms of description and such, at least not at first. I wonder if there is a reason for this..

Just a thought, but could it be possible that Kir meant "RUN" instead of "RUM" in the message but mistyped? Someone mentioned before that it was strange the codename was written in English capital letters rather than Japanese.. perhaps she was not referring to the codename member Rum at all, but instead was giving a warning..? This seems pretty unlikely, but just a thought that popped into my head. But if she did mean "RUN", what could that imply?

About the Org member Rum, I highly doubt it's Kansuke Yamato, but I wonder why Gosho would make him such an obvious choice. None of the other characters he had implicated in the past (Jodie, Okiya, etc.) were as obvious in terms of description and such, at least not at first. I wonder if there is a reason for this..

I think it's highly unlikely. And about Yamato being Rum I agree with you he's probably not the guy but I think Rum true identity will be revealed quickly. In my opinion we're more in a Vermouth pattern without several suspects.

I agree with both AwD4869 and Vennowsah, Rum is definitely not Kansuke Yamato, Rum has to be Hyoue Kuroda and about the theory of Kir accidentally texting Rum instead of Run, it's a possibility but then again maybe she meant to text Rum because she is with the C.I.A and she told the FBI that she'd give them any insight on anything she learns, so maybe that was her insight to share with them.

I totally agree with Detective Max17 Kuroda has to be Rum. If is not (what I doubt) is at least connected to him. I have a huge theory about him I'm not the first to talk about. Until now we had Akai, Masumi, Shuukichi probably their brother's and the little girl maybe their mother (?) In this schema there is only one person missing: the father. Indeed I think Kuroda is Akai and Masumi's father. There is one element that weirdly appear on Kuroda only on the file 916. We can see bags under his eyes that didn't appear before. The fact is that both Akai and Masumi have those dark circles. Maybe by make them appear only now is a way to explain us that it's important. Last element, over the files there has been several elements maybe connecting Masumi with the UK and we have learn that Kuroda only drink black tea, a tradition in this country. I know this theory may sound crazy but I think there is maybe a track to follow. Sorry for my grammar's faults :-)

I actually completely disagree with Kuroda being RUM, these are my thoughts on the whole RUM thing:

There are 3 suspects so far that have a chance of being RUM, they are:

1) Kansuke Yamato, although i doubt it since he doesn't have an artificial eye(though he may have been putting it in front of organization members), and since he is the first suspect I also doubt it,, besides, he saw Haibara, and unless 'RUM' doesn't know Shiho or knows her but is like vermouth and hides the fact that he knows she is Haibara from the organization(I doubt both cases) he should've already reported her a long time ago. Besides, he isn't that old, and the reason I think RUM is old is because I highly doubt someone who is young and thus hasn't been with the organization for long could make it to the second in command, unless he did something unbelievable, but I still highly doubt it.
2) Kiyonaga Matsumoto, although he injured his eye, and it might be artificial, i just can't see him being mistaken for feminine or old, however, it is also very likely that the characteristics of 'RUM' aren't what we think they are, but anyway he's 54 years old, I still think he's too young to be the 2nd in command.
3) Hyoue Kuroda who was just introduced in the latest chapter(913), he is 50 years old, his right eye is injured, and he is a well-built man, according to chapter 914, he was in a 10 year-long coma because of an accident and after it he looked like a completely different person. He is also clearly acting suspiciously, and he knows that Conan is the mastermind behind sleeping Kogoro. Some people say that Hyoue sounds like a female name, although even if that was true, one RUM's characteristics is a feminine man, not a woman, so I'm not so sure. The reason why most people think he is RUM is because his name is Kuroda, Kuro means black but to me, the more obvious it is, the less suspicious it is(we've already been trolled with Jodie and Okiya, not to mention the other characters in these arcs, and I honestly think it's way too early to decide who is RUM, I think the whole RUM arc might be as long as the Bourbon arc since it started in the same way, Kir warns the FBI about a new member, then about 20 chapters later someone with the characteristics of that member is introduced). 
'RUM' might just be a new character we have never seen though. But I'm sure it's not Yamato, and it's also not Kuroda, and the obvious reason is because he reminds me of a certain character back in the Vermouth arc: Jodie, Jodie did a lot of suspicious things and seemed to know about how smart Conan is, so she was the most obvious choice for being Vermouth, however it was clearly not the case, so the same applies to this guy, he is not RUM(although to be fair, Kuroda looks way more evil than Jodie, you can tell by his eyes, but I think that RUM would still look more evil, since even Gin looks way more evil than Kuroda, anyway it's normal that he looks evil, since this is one of the suspect of being the 2nd in command we're talking about, he has to do things that are very suspicious, who knows, maybe he would know Conan is Shinichi, besides there are other things that make me doubt he is RUM such as his age, and the comma that he's been in, since it's hard to imagine the 2nd in command being in a 10-year long comma, since the BO would probably have some problems.), not to mention there is also something weird about him if he was RUM, he has a big burn mark that surrounds his artificial eye, which should be easily distinguishable, so it should've been one of the characteristics of RUM that were told of Haibara, it is also likely that members would also tell Haibara which eye is artificial, since it's clear from the burn mark. However, I'm pretty sure he is a plot-related character(and also, when I'm looking for a suspect of being a member of the BO, I try to see their actions and which ones are not explainable, and when it comes to Kuroda, his actions can be explained easily, it's simply that the Nagano police really know that Conan is the mastermind behind Sleeping Kogoro, so it's natural that he also knows, however, if a suspect of being RUM does something that can't be explained by normal ways, then he's most probable RUM), because so far, every single suspect of being a member of the BO who turned out not to be that member was later shown to be a plot related character, examples are: Jodie, Shuichi, James Black, Eisuke, Okiya(who is Shuichi) and Masumi, but the thing is, if he is plot-related, what would he be? Is he just someone from the police who is investigating about the BO? Or is he an MI6 agent who is working in the police while also investigating the BO? Anyway When it comes to RUM I still think that it can't be any of these 3, because in my opinion, RUM has to have been one of the original members of the BO, or the first member along side the boss and Vermouth, which is why he has to be at least 70, and non of these people are that old, besides, non of them really show the 3 characteristics of RUM, although for some reason, I think that RUM's characteristics are not what we think they are, maybe there is some sort of secret or trick behind them, like for example, it may be related to RUM's actions rather than appearance, like some members heard or saw RUM do something feminine, some others heard or saw him do something old people would do, and others heard or saw him do something only a strong man could do, or it might be related to the generations of the BO, like, the old members remember young RUM as a feminine man, the younger members remember him the middle aged RUM as a strong man, and the young members who joined not too long ago remember him as an old man, because unless RUM's characteristics are not physical, he can't be one of those 4, but anyway the reason I think RUM has to be one of the first members of the BO is because as I said in Yamato's case, I don't think any member can just become the 2nd in command unless they have been an original member, since I doubt the boss would trust anyone with that rank so it has to be someone old, so for now I'm voting for a new character.
As for RUM's personality, I think it would be like Gin and the boss, it's like Gin as in he would probably be suspicious of anything, and would take care of it immediately, and it's like the boss as in he would be extremely cautious, I think that while the boss would give an important order, RUM is the one to do the action, like for example, I noticed something, the fact that every time someone says it's an order from 'Anokata' to justify there acts, the other members wouldn't even say a word, which makes me think that maybe if someone opposes the boss, they would be killed, although it might just be because of their loyalty, but let's just say that they would be killed, I think that RUM is the one to execute them. I also think that RUM is probably a type of person that will give you one chance, and if you disobey him once, you'll be killed, for example, in an alternative path, instead of Akemi meeting Gin, she met RUM, when she told Gin that the organization should release her sister and then she'll tell them the whereabouts of the money, Gin said that they won't and that it's her last chance, while I think that RUM would've killed her immediately.
The most dangerous thing about RUM is that no one knows much about him, not even the organization members themselves since each one describes him differently, Haibara never even met him, the FBI and CIA never knew about him, which is weird considering he's the second in command.
I think RUM will be the one to discover that Kir and possibly also Bourbon are traitors, which would mean they would be killed.
But when it comes to RUM's objective, it's really hard to figure it out since this is the 2nd in command we're talking about, usually whenever a member is on the move, they are not even an executive member, but this time, it's the boss' right hand man, so what is his goal? well, after thinking about it, there can only be 3 objectives:
1) He is going after Kudo Shinichi, after all maybe the boss and Gin are starting to have doubts about Shinichi's death, so RUM's objective may be to gather information about it.
2) He is looking into the members of the organization to see if any one is an undercover spy for another group, and since RUM is probably the most loyal member, he can judge the others.
3) And this one is my favorite, he is looking for new members, and not just any new members, scientists and programmers, since when you think about it, it's unreasonable for the BO to stop their main goal, the only reason they weren't working on it is probably because the priority was Sherry's death, and now that she's dead to the BO, there is no way that the BO is just going to forget about the program and the drug, and since it is related to the BO's main goal, RUM is the most capable member of doing this objective. Although it could be all these 3 objectives together. 
And btw I'm new to this forum  :).

Oh and as for RUM or Kuroda being Akai's father, it's doubtful, especially in Kuroda's case, but first, I'll talk about why RUM is not likely to be Akai's father, you see, Akai was infiltrating the organization for 3 years, if RUM is his father, then that means one of 2 things, the first of them is that he's also undercover, which no one wants, and the second one is that he's loyal and he just stayed silent about Akai being undercover, but you could say that he didn't know he was undercover or that he didn't even meet him, but anyway Akai's father is supposed to be dead and there is nothing to prove otherwise, his estimated time of death is probably 16-10 years ago, and it doesn't really make since if he faked it at that time, one would expect him to fake his death(if he did) when he joined the organization. As for Kuroda being his father, that is not possible, first of all the eye thing was only in one chapter and it didn't even resemble Akai's eyes much, then we all know that Akai and Sera got their eyes from their mother, not their father, so that pretty much cancels the whole thing, if anything Kuroda should look like Shukichi(since he's the middle brother) yet he doesn't.  

• Upvote 4

Im curious if we will see anything Pisco related or if he had any relationship with Rum in this arc

Yeah, about Pisco, I'm curious to know for how long he was in the organization, according to him, he was in there for a pretty long time, however I doubt he was in it since the start, because he simply sucks at the work and the boss had no problem killing him, an original member of the organization should be something like Gin, but much older of course. 

Yeah, about Pisco, I'm curious to know for how long he was in the organization, according to him, he was in there for a pretty long time, however I doubt he was in it since the start, because he simply sucks at the work and the boss had no problem killing him, an original member of the organization should be something like Gin, but much older of course. 

Well i dont know if he sucks, cause we only got to see him for a short time. 

Yes he was caught off guard but can we blame him for that picture that was taken of him, i mean what were the chances

The boss has no problem of killing anyone to protect his cause

Well i dont know if he sucks, cause we only got to see him for a short time. 

Yes he was caught off guard but can we blame him for that picture that was taken of him, i mean what were the chances

The boss has no problem of killing anyone to protect his cause

Yeah, but I think his way of killing him wan't good enough, because he should've calculated that someone may take a picture at the time it happened, actually is it possible that Anokata did that on purpose? You know, just like they did with Akemi, but this time it succeeded, what I mean is that Anokata wanted to kill Pisco, and thus he gave him a mission he thought Pisco would fail in, and thus they would have an excuse to kill him, but then again, I don't think it's really likely since there isn't a reason to do that, in Akemi's case, they needed to have an excuse to kill her because Shiho is an important member and they didn't want her to escape the organization, in Pisco's case there isn't someone(we know of) that actually cares much about him to escape the organization, so I guess it's not really possible. Anyway we're getting off-topic.

From DCTP:

http://blog-imgs-66.fc2.com/s/t/u/studybank/HNI_0085_JPGs.jpg

じつは もうラムは でてたりしてw

“Actually, Rum has already appeared lol”.

Some new Rum information here I think, not sure when it was posted. He’s already appeared…

It would be nice to flip through the background suspects. I did a quick check of case suspects only (no background characters or helpful non-suspect side characters) and the only ones who stood out between the mystery train and current were Kiichi-nii's shogi partner in the kidnapped Yumi case, the Yuzu character who worked for Jii, and the ex-secret police Nagano guy. (Not counting MK chars - one of whom is one-eyed). I am going to assume Rum is male per the usual liquor for men wine for women rule.

Also, about Kuroda Hyoue, I still feel uncomfortable with how he was presented in the last case. I need another look because I still haven't finished that case, but I did go through and make that post about I thought he might have been switched. It wasn't right as a case solution so I have heard, but... http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/5396-spoiler-discussion-file-913-917-kawanakajima-murder-case/?p=350626

From DCTP:

http://studybank.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1.html

http://blog-imgs-66.fc2.com/s/t/u/studybank/HNI_0084_JPGs.jpg

ナゾのイモウトのなナマエは○○リー

“The name of the mysterious little sister is ××rī”.

The blogger says it could be Mary (メアリー) and explains why he thinks so, but I’m not gonna translate all that.

http://blog-imgs-66.fc2.com/s/t/u/studybank/201409100115490b4s.jpg

セラちゃんはキチにいってよんでる

“Sera-chan calls him Kichi-nii”.

http://blog-imgs-66.fc2.com/s/t/u/studybank/HNI_0085_JPGs.jpg

じつは もうラムは でてたりしてw

“Actually, Rum has already appeared lol”.

http://studybank.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-6.html

http://blog-imgs-66.fc2.com/s/t/u/studybank/HNI_0002_JPG.jpg

カンちゃんはラムじゃないって(^^

“Kan-chan is not Rum ^^”.

Some new Rum information here I think, not sure when it was posted. He’s already appeared…

This is... actually really big news.  Quite a different scenario than the Bourbon arc.  Oh man, time to get speculating.

next time we see a character that has appeared before, instant RUM

We don't even have to wait for next time, I'm calling it right now. Yonehara is Rum. There can't be any doubt.

next time we see a character that has appeared before, instant RUM

We don't even have to wait for next time, I'm calling it right now. Yonehara is Rum. There can't be any doubt.

Sorry...tooo much doubt about it....but a nice thought, I tell you that