Detective Conan World
AnimeOtakuDrew

Chronological Guide to Everything Conan Related

TV series, OVAs, live actions dramas, movies, Magic Kaito 1412, specials? How does it all fit together?! I have been following the guide at http://dcrewatch.tumblr.com/orderguide for the most part, though I did go ahead and check out a couple of the live action dramas even though I am only at episode 400 of the TV series, but this listing is in order of release. I realize that most of the Conan related video media out there could technically happen in any order, therefore order of release is as good as any, but I have noticed that a few episodes of the series are about Shinichi and co. before he became Conan, especially with the live action dramas. And then there's Kaito Kid. At what point in the Conan timeline do the events of Magic Kaito 1412 and the Magic Kaito specials take place? I mean, by episode 400 of the TV series, it is already clear that Kaito Kuroba is Kaito Kid, but the actual videos/series of Magic Kaito weren't made until later (even though I know that the Magic Kaito manga predated DC), so the aforementioned listing hasn't had me watch them yet. I am really big on chronology and am going to watch the series again anyways as my sister has decided she wants to watch it, so I figured this time I want to do it in proper chronological order. Can anyone help me figure out what that is, please? I can't find a listing online.

There are some contradictions between the MK 1412/MK special and DC timeline. A lot of the first part of the MK 1412 timeline should take place while Shinichi is an adult, but the episodes show Conan which makes no sense. Kaitou Kid needed some time to get sorta good at being a thief and reach status quo with Akako and Hakuba before Shinichi could appear.

I made a when-to-watch timeline, but it is not official or comprehensive, is entirely dependent on what I think is a good idea, nor does it fit episodes for exact chronology, because that would be a lot of work.

http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12153&p=797800#p797800

20 hours ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

I made a when-to-watch timeline, but it is not official or comprehensive, is entirely dependent on what I think is a good idea, nor does it fit episodes for exact chronology, because that would be a lot of work.

http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12153&p=797800#p797800

That helps, thanks! But how do the live action dramas fit in? (Reposted to fix grammar and because I forgot to include the citation, sorry.)

The 4 live action specials and the live action drama series aren't essential to anything and are liberal with the canon (alcoholic cakes = APTX antidote, entire case with Eri when Shinichi is supposed to have forgotten who Eri is). You aren't missing anything if you skip them. All but one are flashbacks to before Shinichi shrunk, but the character relationships won't make sense without knowing events in the main continuity. Some of them involve Kaitou Kid, Eri, some police, Haibara Ai, and Sonoko, and the events of the Vermouth arc.

I'd simply watch them when they are aired, which means looking up the date the special aired, looking up the anime case with the closest airdate, and then watching the special after that episode.

You can edit your posts btw, no need to double post.