Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 966-968: The Scytale's Encryption

This might be a random guess.

Maybe Rumi works for the PSB like Amuro/Rei/Bourbon. I have suggested at one time that Kuroda also might work there to keep a eye on Conan on cases, where Amuro/Rei/Bourbon can't watch him. Maybe it's the same thing with Rumi. 

No sane BO would use the name Wakasa Rumi unless she was trying to draw attention to herself for a mission, and there is doubly no way the valuable number two of the Organization would do it. It's the lower ranks' job to take the risks. Logically then, Rumi is a red herring.

It's amazing how quickly people now hate her. Everyone who disliked Eisuke seems to transposed their ire on to her already. I didn't mind Eisuke, but I am annoyed we have a lack of realistic Rum suspects right now. Kuroda is the only one who might have something interesting in his backstory, and even then I am pretty sure he isn't Rum.

17 hours ago, Heliotropic said:

I don't find "clumsiness" in general to be annoying, but when Gosho has done it with Eisuke, yes, I did, and I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now with Rumi. I don't necessarily say it's "mean-spirited" not sure what you mean by that, but I'd say revealing it to be a hoax in the end, which happened both with Rumi and Eisuke make this persona seem even more annoying and unnecessary

But Eisuke's clumsiness wasn't a hoax entirely, he pretended to be naive and less smart than he actually was and he always tried to act inconspicuous and yes, he some of his accidents were faked, but his overall clumsiness was real.

While it is likely that Rumi Wakasa is just a red herring, if we assume that she is an agent of the black organisation I would say it is more likely that she is some agent who works under Vermouth. In the Asaka song case if I remember correctly Vermouth was disguised as Azusa, so seeing Conan there would perhaps have made her suspicious that Conan knows of the existence of rum and the kohji haneda case and to elicit a reaction from Conan this particular agent has been sent. 

I was discussing with Kor on the spoiler cbox, and he proposed the idea that Rumi could be, by process of elimination, a member of the secret police that Kuroda or Amuro may have sent to spy on Conan. The secret police don't know about many of Conan's exploits, but know he is showing up in places oddly relevant to the FBI and working with people like Agasa and Okiya whom Amuro still finds suspicious. In other words, the secret police know they are missing quite a bit of data on Conan. Given Kuroda and Amuro's personalities, I think it would not be out of character for the secret police to stick someone on Conan and the rest of the DB as a monitor of sorts. The process of elimination is that the BO would never use the name Asaka or Rum as a joke (no benefits) and the FBI and CIA wouldn't bother with Conan/the DB since Akai is the kids' contact. The regular police don't suspect Conan and can send Shiratori who in turn can call Kobayashi. Mi6 seems to be out of the picture for now, except with Mary who seems to be doing her own thing. That leaves just the secret police.

english version is out.

so, why the corpse was dead again? accident?

wakasa being a psb is interesting theory... but if so, why choose that name as alias?

surely rei can tell his team that it's a bad name.

9 hours ago, Kurara-chan said:

english version is out.

so, why the corpse was dead again? accident?

wakasa being a psb is interesting theory... but if so, why choose that name as alias?

surely rei can tell his team that it's a bad name.

There's nothing wrong with the name "Wakasa Rumi". It's only outside the "Detective Conan" universe that it's a "rum"-like name...

Personally, I think that it's too over the top for Gosho to introduce a new suspicious character only to reveal that it's an undercover agent sent out by Kuroda(whose general motives are yet unknown). And obviously, Bourbon's interest lies on Akai, whom he already has Okiya as suspect for. Even if he was interested in Conan's involvement, or ordered to send out an undercover agent, with his investigational skills and advantages as Mouri's apprentice, it would be completely unnecessary for him rely on another agent who's a stranger to the target.

Whether Rumi is Rum/undercover agent or not, It's very doubtful that Gosho is not gonna introduce a new subplot(unrelated to the other agencies/bureaus) through Wakasa, but she will most likely tie in to the Rum plot, one way or the other.

So far, her eyes seems to be normal, and she doesn't seem to have any "old" features of some sort. then there's the whole code-naming-pattern of BO members for males/females that indicates that Rum is male. Considering the number of code-named males in the BO has increased by one after Bourbon, Gosho might try to make it even with a new female member(hence making an exception to the "naming pattern", maybe even give an acceptable excuse for her character). She seems to be watching over Conan, with knowledge of his intelligence, which most likely makes her either connected to someone that knows about Conan's intelligence or someone that investigated Mouri/Kudo, which lead her to Conan.

16 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

There's nothing wrong with the name "Wakasa Rumi". It's only outside the "Detective Conan" universe that it's a "rum"-like name...

Eh, I disagree, I think the characters can tell in-universe that Wakasa Rumi is too familiar. They might not have commented on it yet. The only names that are overlooked are the pop culture references (Gundam, Detectives), and even then it was a surprise when Kor's 007 name was explained.

16 hours ago, MeiTanteixX said:

Personally, I think that it's too over the top for Gosho to introduce a new suspicious character only to reveal that it's an undercover agent sent out by Kuroda(whose general motives are yet unknown).

Whether Rumi is Rum/undercover agent or not, It's very doubtful that Gosho is not gonna introduce a new subplot(unrelated to the other agencies/bureaus) through Wakasa, but she will most likely tie in to the Rum plot, one way or the other.

Both of these have been done though. We have had at least two spies introduced every arc so far. See agent Camel dispatched by Akai before we knew all of Akai's motives. We also have Jodie, James, Kir, Rei, Scotch, and probably Mary too.

"It's very doubtful that Gosho is not gonna introduce a new subplot(unrelated to the other agencies/bureaus) through Wakasa" --> Is that double negative intentional? Because we got the Akai Family subplot through Sera. I don't think we are done with Japan's Public Security Bureau because Kuroda is involved in the regular police, and his mysterious backstory has not been addressed.

52 minutes ago, Chekhov MacGuffin said:

It's very doubtful that Gosho is not gonna introduce a new subplot(unrelated to the other agencies/bureaus) through Wakasa" --> Is that double negative intentional? Because we got the Akai Family subplot through Sera. I don't think we are done with Japan's Public Security Bureau because Kuroda is involved in the regular police, and his mysterious backstory has not been addressed.

Yes, it's intentional...

I'm basically saying that I'm expecting a new subplot through Wakasa, rather than her connecting to the other agencies. Not saying that she couldn't be an undercover agent, only that I'm personally doubting her being connected to an already introduced agency. Camel was btw introduced in context where it was heavily focusing on FBI, while Wakasa hasn't even been hinted at to be an agent yet...

I don't care if Rumi is a red herring or not i just care about numbers!

2 of 3 now 1 more new character to go and we can say that RUM has already appeared

Being a red herring doesn't deny she IS a Rum candidate,just like Subaru was a strong red herring but still a candidate to be Bourbon.

I'm just comparing Rum's arc to Bourbon's,we had 3 candidates too (I'm not saying Gosho is going to repeat himself,at the end  have 3 candidates and NONE of them is the real RUM,which means the theory that RUM is an old character is still valid)

• Upvote 1

Maybe it wasn't ASAKA RUM, Kohji was writting, but WAKASA RUMI, but he couldn't have the letters for W and I from the mirror. If it is true, then he would need to get W or I from somewhere else. Or maybe he hoped that someone would understand. It sounds unlikely, but every theory has to be consider. 

Dont know if it was mentioned before, but Rumi says at p15 : "Are you ready to depart this world?"
Dunno about you, but this phrase seems somewhat familiar to me.. as if it was used by Gin or someone from the BO before.

Maybe someone has a better memory..