Detective Conan World
Heliotropic

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 963-965: Tree God

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

File 963 Chinese: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4613172735

File 963 imgur: http://imgur.com/a/nKsmO

Text spoilers translated by Spimer

First page's side-note: "Jirokichi has appeared! So that obviously means that...!?"

A widow brings Jirokichi a trick box named "Tree God" said to be a work by Samizu Kichiemon, her late husband stuffed the instructions to open it on a book he donated to Jirokichi: the box contains the world's largest moonstone (Moon Memories [Luna Memoria]).

File 963: Tree God

Conan sees Jirokichi's "challenge" on the net: Haibara tells him to get ready because she's sure he's also been called as well: turns out she and Agasa have been called in as well. 

Okiya shows up with the stew, as usual, and joins their talk but since it's not a murder case then he quickly leaves the scene yet, when he exits the Agasa house, someone takes a photo of him.

Shortly afterward, Agasa, who's coming out late since he didn't find his driving license, gets a photo taken as well.

Sonoko is waiting with Ran and Kogoro at Jirokichi's library: Conan and the others are already there. 

Kogoro has a summer cold which is aggravated and doesn't look like he'll be of much help but Sonoko, who wants to meet Kid, decided to give him plenty of candidates to disguise as and lured him in telling him she had tickets for a Yoko Okino concert. 

The police are on standy on the outside this time.

Kogoro tries to open the trick box but gets a needle stabbed on a finger and Agasa becomes the prey (of his anger?). Kogoro says they cut off the box with a saw but the widow refuses: the box is also valuable and the inside glows in a blue color like the moonlight.

Okiya: "Adularescence... The blue moon stones that display this special effect are quite valuable... What's more: if it's this big... It might indeed fit with the trick box by Samizu Kichiemon..."

Okiya has come despite he'd said he wasn't interested: he told the police he was a friend of Agasa and they didn't check him. Jirokichi says that this time he doesn't mind if plain customers who aren't Kid fans come: he's placed the box so that everyone can touch it.

There's a weight sensor below the ground of table where the trick box is placed at so if someone tried to grab and run away a cage would drop and the steel shutters of the whole mansion would close as well.

The widow says that if someone managed to unlock the box the music box her late husband placed inside would ring as well.

Instead of trying to open it at random, it'd be faster to find the book her late husband donated with the instructions or so she suggests.

Jirokichi leads the group to the room with the book... and turns out the library in this room has over 10,000 books on it! 

Jirokichi: "You can search for it here, can you?"
Conan (There's too many of them...)

Side-note: "The hints are within a lot of books... Who'll be the one that'll be able to open the "Tree God"?"

Further summary from Spimer:

. The widow's name is Tomoyose Kimika (70), her husband has recently died. She brought the trick box and some books to Jirokichi because she wants him to find out the instructions to open it which are stuffed in one of the books she brought: she wishes to retrieve the Moon Stone inside: she knows it's the type of big jewel Kaito Kid likes chasing

. Okiya brings the stew and says that he properly boiled the vegetables since last time he was scolded by Haibara that they weren't properly boiled: he seems interested in the mention of Samizu Kichiemon

Haibara: "What. You want to come as well?"
Okiya: "No, no. I'll leave this here and go back home. I'm not interested in thieves anyway. However... I have a slight interest in types who don't steal things but lives...
* once Okiya has left * 
Haibara: "It's already summer and yet he still wears a high collar. What's with that guy?"
Agasa: "Maybe he's sensible to cold?"
Conan (thinking): "Well. You need a high neck to be able to hide the choker voice-changer..."

. Someone takes a photo of Okiya and he seems to notice it and raises the guard: same happens to Agasa later.

. Kogoro and Ran are at the library and Kogoro got lured by Sonoko with the promise of first row tickets for Okino Yoko's concert: Sonoko and Jirokichi get a photo taken as well. 

. Jirokichi has the police wait outside and he doesn't bother to check if anyone's wearing a mask

. Kid is disguised as a SWAT team officer: he was about to take a photo of Nakamori but doesn't once he hears that the police aren't coming inside, so it's pointless to disguise as Nakamori: he looks at the photos of the candidates and picks someone

. Kogoro clumsily tries to open the box only for a needle to come out and stab his finger: he drops it and a small fan with the text "punishment" shows up.

Haibara: "As expected of Samizu Kichiemon"
Conan (thinking): "Feels like a miniature Iron Tanuki"

. Kogoro, annoyed, suggests tearing the box apart but Ms. Tomoyose says she won't authorize that. The box is also very valuable: but then Sonoko and Ran butt in commenting that moon stones aren't THAT valuable: they've seen them being sold in the net for 10,000 Yen (aprox. 94 USD). 

. The widow says this isn't the case: this stone was brought from Sri Lanka by her late husband and that glows in a special blue color like the moon

. Okiya suddenly shows up and gives out the name of that type of stone and adds that it's valuable and its size may make it fit with the trick box

Haibara: "Didn't you say you weren't interested?"
Okiya: "I got picked, you see..."
Conan: "I'm surprised they let you in..."

. He told the police he was a friend of Agasa and they lit him in with no face check: this Jirokichi's plan this time around. The box is atop a table and there are no guards: but if anyone tries to take it off the table a cage will immediately drop in and trap them inside due to the weight sensor activating: same will happen if you open the box and steal the jewel inside

. The widow adds that there's a music box inside that rings whenever it's opened so it can't be opened in silence either: Conan asks what the melody is: the widow replies that she forgot the exact melody because it's been over 10 years since her husband lastly opened the box: she used to think it was a famous nursery rhyme or something like that but it'd seem it isn't the case.

. Jirokichi adds that once the cage drops the building's steetl shutters placed at all entrances and exits will immediately drop at the same time the cage does thus sealing off the whole building

. Conan thinks that the widow really wants to open the box even if that means asking Kid to help her out 

. The widow explains that she saw his husband stuff a paper with the instructions to open the box in a book: she tried to search for it one day and he told her she wouldn't be to find neither the paper or the box's contents

. Kogoro asks why would the husband hide the jewel from her and she says she doesn't know and the husband was very shy: Kogoro is baffled and she corrects herself saying that the "moon stone" is said to bestow love and maybe he didn't want to admit he really cared about the stoe 

. Jirokichi knew the husband in person and they'd gone into adventures together and recalls he was indeed the tymid type of person 

. Kogoro asks if there's a reply from Kid to the challenge and there is:an email that said "I'll come get the Moon Stone in the name of the Magician under the Moonlight!" was sent to Jirokichi a lil while ago

. Okiya suggests finding the paper if they want to open it before Kid does: Jirokichi leads them to a huge room with a lot of books and challlenges his guests to find the book in there

. To be continued in the next number... 

No break next week. File 964 on June 22nd.

• Upvote 2

Kid disguised as Sonoko the last time he appeared, so I'd say she's the least likely. Ran, Kogoro and Jirokichi are more likely to be the disguisee than Sonoko, but none are as likely, in my book, as Subaru and Agasa. Kid has never disguised as either of them. Kid wouldn't even have to deal with Shuichi/Subaru—it's certainly his easiest play. If he's disguised as Agasa, then he did so at some point in between Agasa's arrival at the place and when the group are all seen together around the box.

Question is, will there be plot, in this case? Will the events from 2 cases ago come up, given that Ran, Shiho/Ai and Subaru are there? Will Kid, in his disguise as either Subaru or Agasa, hear something from Shinichi/Conan or even Shiho/Ai?

We haven't had a 4-File Kid case since Kirin's Horn in 09, but I think this will be 4 files. This just doesn't strike me as a case that'll be wrapped up in 3 files—I can't imagine Shinichi/Conan making his "I got it" face in 964.

Apologies for the double post.

964 text spoilers, translated by Spimer from DCTP:

File 964: Approach

Trying to find the memo inside of over 10,000 books is hard.

Jirokichi already tried, like Kogoro, to skim over all books by gathering all the staff but they didn't find it.

The widow brings up something else her late husband had mentioned: "Suppose you find the memo... You should be able to find the contents of the box, too, but..." yet it rather sounded like "you'll never find it". She never asked him "which" book it was because she thought it would be shameful to do so.

Kogoro's coughs are getting worse so Conan & Agasa go to the lobby where there are vending machines: Agasa also goes to the restroom and Conan waits for him.

Kogoro attempts to force the box open again: he ignores the "don't take it away" signpost and tries to jump back from the fence's range yet a new fence drops where he intended to land: Kogoro accidentally spits the drink inside of his mouth and wets the box: the widow quickly rushes to wipe out the liquid yet Conan seems to think something about this.

Kogoro and the others return: Ran & Sonoko went to pick flowers so they aren't present: Haibara & Okiya seem to have forgotten what they were doing there and are going over mystery series novels: the widow notices that Okiya's sleeves smell of meat and potatoes stew: Okiya and she begin to talk and Okiya says he likes cooking: Ran and Sonoko come back then: she talks about how she read the cooking book her late husband had bought for her over and over again to the point she opened some holes on it: Sonoko seems eager to meet Kid so she put up some make-on.

Conan then feels Kid's presence: the medicine Kogoro drank seems to be more effective than it'd been insofar, Okiya is scanning the surroudings while pretending to read the books, Agasa took too much time in the toilet... He also thinks he could've disguised as either Ran or Sonoko. Ran picks a chair and climbs on it to try to reach a book in a higher shelf: Conan stares at her tighs and what's beyond them...

Haibara: "Super lewd..."

That asides, Haibara says that everyone but Okiya had an opening in which Kid could've swapped with them but Conan suspects that Kid could've been impersonating Okiya ever since he showed up in the library.

The widow brings up her late husband's exchange diary: he only wrotes a few lines in the pages back when he was a student but shortly after they married she checked out the diary there were 2 pages she supposedly hadn't seen before filled with her late husband's writing: he retrieved it back on that day and she didn't see it again.

It would seem this info might be a clue.

Kid (thinking): "Oho. That guy's face... Looks like you've figured it out too... Detective. Where the paper is and what the box's contents are..."

Side-note: "The thief and the detective gloat: have all mysteries been solved!? Next number: the resolution!

The smell on Subaru's sleeves seem to indicate that he is Shuichi, not Kid. Thus, we're left with four potential disguisees who've already been impersonated by Kid (Ran: Black Star, Kogoro: Sunset Manor, Jirokichi: Midair Walk, and Sonoko: Makoto Vs. Kid (a.k.a. the last Kid case, so I think she's very much out)) and one who has not... I think Kid disguised as Agasa during his trip to the restroom, in this file, and it is a mistake he will make in attempting to replicate the band-aids on Agasa's hands that will out him.

• Upvote 1

Turn out it's a 3 files long instead. Well, a sweet case like this is good from time to time.

My guess is Kid as Okiya, but then again, we will know the answer in the next file.

File 964 Chinese: http://imgur.com/a/3iCLH

Detailed chapter summary from Spimer: http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13114&start=30#p866008

. Sonoko comments that the huge ammount of books reminds her of Shinichi's library and Conan admits that he got the same feeling

. Kogoro complains that Jirokichi should've searched them before calling them in and he replies that he spent almost a whole day with the staff looking at ALL books but they didn't find the memo

. Okiya asks the widow if maybe her late husband changed the memo's hiding place but she finds it unlikely since he died in a car accident a few days ago and surely couldn't predict a happening like that

Okiya: "But nevertheless your husband hasn't opened the box in 10 years, is that not right?"
Widow: "Didn't open when I was around. It'd seem he rather opened it when I wasn't at home."

. There was something her husband always said whenever she returned home from some errand

Husband: "Looks like you still haven't been able to open the box... I stuffed the memo with the instructions in the same page so... If you found it... You'd be able to find the true contents of the box yet... It'd seem it was too heavy of a burden for you. But if you REALLY want to see them... I'll tell you the book in which I hid the memo... It's a bit shameful, though."

. Okiya asks if there could be something else apart from the stone but the widow has no idea of what it could be: Sonoko argues that if he was going to tell her she could've asked him yet the wife thought it'd be a humiliation since he was so sure she wouldn't find it

. Come to these it could be that it's a book which she normally wouldn't read like those her husband liked: mystery novels and monster tales 

. Kogoro's coughs worsen and Ran tells him to drink the medicine in the toilet: Haibara adds that there's a drink vending machine in the lobby: Agasa and Conan also go there

. In the meanwhile Jirokichi has posted a notice in the library (open to the public) saying he'll reward whoever manages to open the box with 1 million yen (aprox. 9.575 USD) but any challenger can only interact with the box for 5 minutes

. Conan watches a ton of people attempt in vain to open it: Agasa comes back and Conan complains he takes too long to which he replies he doesn't feel well and fears Kogoro's cold is affecting him too: despite that both are alone he calls him "Conan - kun" instead of "Shinichi - kun" which he always does when Kogoro and the others aren't around

. Kogoro attemps to challenge the box: he also tries to jump a couple meters away from the table but the cage accurately drops into his location as well: it's got a robot arm that allows it to change position

. The widow spots that the box got wet and she quickly takes it from him to wipe it while muttering that it'll be a disaster if water entered the insides of it, surprising Agasa & Conan

. Conan and the other 2 return to the store-room and find that only Okiya and Haibara are there: Okiya says Ran and Sonoko went to the toilet too: they haven't found the paper yet and Okiya is interested in some mystery novels he didn't know of while Haibara yawns, bored

. The widow comes in and notices that Okiya has the smell of the stew he readied before: the widow says that she's good at making stews, her husband loved them, and her husband's mother taught her the recipe, and that her husband bought her several cooking books which she's read over and over again: Kogoro suggests skipping those altogether

. The 2 girls come back and Ran notices Sonoko's put on make-up to appeal in front of Kid

. Haibara suggests that even if Kid shows up he'll surely be stopped by the anti-theft device and and the box's tricks and will be unable to steal the jewel

Kid (thinking): "I wonder 'bout that!"

. Conan notices Kid's "presence" very close by and begins to think who in the room it could be: 

. Kogoro stopped coughing ever since he came back from the toilet
. Akai/Okiya is paying more attention to the surroundings than the book he's reading
. Agasa spent too much time in the toilet
. Jirokichi and the widow can be discarded: Jirokichi has the cage's remote and could've swapped the box at any time
while the widow wouldn't have gotten nervous when the box got wet
. Kid has disguised as either Ran or Sonoko before but they could be told apart by their height since they're more or less Agasa's height

. Ran sees a book which calls her attention but can't reach it so she climbs into a chair Sonoko holds: despite that Ran almost doesn't reach it and stretches so Conan looks at her one-piece dress and thinks he can almost see her panties but then thinks it could be Kid disguised as well

. Conan comes closer and decides that Ran's thighs are the usual size so it's the real one alright 

Haibara: "Talk about a good sight... You look like a kid but you're a perv old man in the inside... You lewd..."
Conan: "Ah, no... I'm just making sure it's not Kid in disguise..."
Haibara (not convinced): "Super lewd."
Conan: "Well! Sorry for being a lewd, man!"

. Conan gets serious again and asks her if he noticed Kid's presence and she says that anyone but Okiya could be Kid: he's the only one who hasn't come out the room in all this time

. Conan thinks that Kid could've disguised as him and then come to the library: everyone feels suspicious again

. The widow then brings up that she and her husband shared an "exchange diary" when they were students but that diary was odd:
. Their deal was that she'd write the right page and the husband would write the left page 
. The widow used to write the day's happenings and what she thought of her husband but it didn't fit in a single page
. The husband wrote in a cocked manner that would take about 3 pages to write what he wanted to write in the left page
. But despite that he only wrote a few columns
. Back then she thought the husband was a poor correspondent: but after marrying she found the diary on his desk one day
. She picked it to re-read it and remember her young times: but as she read it she found crooked writing taking about 2 pages she'd never seen before
. Afterwards the husband took it up and she hasn't read it again

. As a result the widow wonders if that's related to the hiding place of the memo

. Kogoro suggests that maybe some pages got glued because the husband could've been eating rice balls while reading it and the grains of rice could've gotten stuck between the pages

. Conan then reminds some statements by the widow:
. "My husband was very shy"
. "My husband's mother taught me the recipe in person, you know?"
. "If water got inside..."
. "That diary was very odd"
. "If you found that paper then you should be able to find the box's true contents too yet..."

. Conan suddenly seems to link all of the pieces together and grins

. Kid sees that from close by and grins as well

Kid: "Oho. That face... Looks like you've figured it out, too... Detective. The paper's location... The box's true contents as well..."

• Upvote 1

Seems that Agasa is even more likely to be Kid, since he called Shinichi/Conan just "Conan" when they were alone...

What will give away Kid's disguise as Agasa is, most likely, the band-aids on his fingers. Since 964 showed "Agasa's" right hand after coming out of the bathroom, I compared it with the panel in 963 that showed the real Agasa's right hand:

File 963, Page 9

afC2MzK.png

File 964, Page 6

z8qDxaL.png

Looks like Kid messed up with the thumb and index finger—the band-aid on the thumb is lower and the one on the index finger is higher.

• Upvote 2

Apologies for the double post.

965 text spoilers are out:
http://tamae.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ymag/1466456964/533

Break next week.

Here's Spimer's translation of the text spoilers, on DCTP:

File 965: Diary

Conan's figured out the trick so he gathers everyone to recreate it.

He borrows a pen and a notebook from Okiya: he torns off an empty page and tears it into small pieces: he writes a circle in (each pieces') front and rear and makes Kogoro remember those before he stuffs those into the notebook.

It looks like you'll be able to find them at once but they don't appear when others check the notebook: if you take a closer look at it you see that that the edge of the page where Conan stuffed the circles is slightly torn and the papers will jump off the page when you flip it: there's a similar trick to the exchange diary: since the widow fully opened the pages when re-reading it she avoided this trap.

So: which of the books is the right one? It's the one the widow doesn't need to read: the page with the potato and meat stew recipe: since her late husband's mother told her the recipe herself there was no need to read it up on the cooking book: Kogoro begins to wrestle with the heap of books...

... There's a sudden blackout and the sound of a music box playing "Grandfather's clock" rings out: the emergency lights go on and they see that Kid's card is stabbed into the trick box: Jirokichi wants to chase Kid but the widow stops him saying it'd be inelegant: she says that something far more precious and full of memories than the jewel should be left inside.

When the widow suggests checking out what's inside Agasa suddenly says he's got stomach ache and runs off to the toilet: turns out he was Kid: what gave him away was that he never called Conan as "Conan-kun" when they were alone (he actually says "Shinichi-kun"). Conan spotted that the fingers' bandages were in different positions too which also gave him away.

Conan also found odd that Agasa could pick a book which Ran didn't reach even by climbing into a seat despite that Agasa and Ran are supposed to be of the same height: Conan guesses the box hasn't actually been opened: since the box is from the 19th century the song "Grandfather's clock" wasn't used back then.

It'd seem that when Kid, accepting the challenge, came to the library yet he'd actually met the late husband in one ocassion time ago and saw the jewel before he shut the box: the jewel was but an add-on and the actual contents are the famed exchange diary.

So Kid is about to leave without doing anything but Okiya is keeping the toilet's stall door locked from the outside: the picture that Kid took of Okiya before coming to the library seems to show something Okiya doesn't want others to see.

So Kid leaves his smartphone there and makes his escape: and it'd seem he got stuck for 12 hours to avoid the police's search for him afterwards.

Side-note: "Even Kid shuddered and got intimidated by Subaru - san... He successfully retrieved the photograph. Sunday #33 will have a new series starring the Detective Boys. Next week will have a break for the author to gather materials. To be continued in Issue #33."

On 6/23/2016 at 5:06 AM, DCUniverseAficionado said:

Reveal hidden contents

Seems that Agasa is even more likely to be Kid, since he called Shinichi/Conan just "Conan" when they were alone...

What will give away Kid's disguise as Agasa is, most likely, the band-aids on his fingers. Since 964 showed "Agasa's" right hand after coming out of the bathroom, I compared it with the panel in 963 that showed the real Agasa's right hand:

File 963, Page 9

afC2MzK.png

File 964, Page 6

z8qDxaL.png

Looks like Kid messed up with the thumb and index finger—the band-aid on the thumb is lower and the one on the index finger is higher.

So you got it right!

I wonder, in which case we will see plot again?

9 hours ago, Kurara-chan said:

So you got it right!

I wonder, in which case we will see plot again?

That's two in a row for me... we'll see if I can keep it up. ^_^

In these days, plot gets spread out, often in smaller bits—next case will probably have some mention of Koji Haneda and Asaka/Rum at some point. It has been six files since it was last mentioned, after all.

On 6/29/2016 at 1:44 AM, DCUniverseAficionado said:

That's two in a row for me... we'll see if I can keep it up. ^_^

In these days, plot gets spread out, often in smaller bits—next case will probably have some mention of Koji Haneda and Asaka/Rum at some point. It has been six files since it was last mentioned, after all.

Next one is about Detective Boys, huh. Is it a light one or a dark one? :P

We are not going anywhere with Koji Haneda yet, that's for sure.

I wish Zero meet Ai already. It seems that Gosho will let them meet each other when the plot have gone further. <_<

2 hours ago, Kurara-chan said:

I wish Zero meet Ai already. It seems that Gosho will let them meet each other when the plot have gone further. <_<

Why would they meet though? Ai is purposely avoiding him because she still thinks he is a BO agent.

On 7/1/2016 at 2:34 PM, Serinox said:

Why would they meet though? Ai is purposely avoiding him because she still thinks he is a BO agent.

I think he means that once the plot moves forward (Shiho/Ai finds out/is told that Rei/Tooru is a NPA agent), she can finally interact with him.