Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 958-962: The Nue of Yadori Village

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

Or more manually:

Step 1: Click the "Special BBCode" icon at the upper-left side of the edit toolbar.

Untitled-1_zps5a0dae75.png

Step 2: In BBCode, select "Spoiler".

Spoiler_zpsc5764e29.jpg

Step 3: Enter the text that you want to put inside Spoiler boxes, then click OK.

Text_zps4958fb14.jpg

Text Spoilers from 958 are out, translated by Spimer from DCTP:

File 958: Yadori Village's Monster

The day after Rokumichi's murder case. Ran & Sonoko talk with Azusa, who says that she didn't come to the hall. Amuro prentends he was deceived by a lookalike: when one of them says that's an eerie story, Azusa (the real one) says she saw a mysterious duo climb up the stairs leading to the detective agency: a black-skinned man accompanied by a girl: they were talking about a dust cloth or something like that...

...And the "duo" turned out to be Heiji & Kazuha.

They weren't talking about a dust cloth but about having found a clue to Tokugawa's (16th century Shogun) buried treasure and they want Mouri & co. to lend them a hand. They were asked by the Mayor of Yadori Village to help so they've come to invite Kogoro and Conan. But Kogoro declines.

Ran doesn't look like she's interested either but Heiji laids out bait saying that may be Shinichi would be interested in this topic (and may show up).

Conan can't hide his bad feeling about the deal because Tokugawa's buried treasure is supposed to be in Gunma and there's that incompetent inspector there (Yamamura).

But Heiji calms him down: Yadori Village, the village they've been invited to isn't in Gunma but in Shizuoka.

So the quartet of Heiji, Kazuha, Ran and Conan go to the village with the Mayor's car. The Mayor has called a promiment archeologist so he says he doesn't have money to spare on a detective. In the case of Heji and the others, he says he only need to spend some travel expenses and food budget and that's why he invited Heji. They're going to be lodged on a worn down hotel that's become mostly abandoned ever since some people died in cave-in accident. The Mayor says he'll make the food but he seems to be very unsure of himself.

According to the archeologist taking part in the search, it's possible that the treasure might be Sunpu Castle: the family owning it has already passed away. A historian and a novelist cite a passage from a local nursery rhyme.

A reporter writer shows up and tries flirt with Kazura & Ran only for Heiji to get into an argument with the guy. A dog belonging to a deceased excavation team that died in the cave-in accident stops the writer: a neighbor was supposed to be taking care of it but it always ran away to go back to the castle so they'd left the dog there: looks like someone's been feeding it yet the Mayor is worried that it might fall into a nearby pond.

All of the participants have gathered: Ran is disappointed that Shinichi isn't there but she hears Heiji whispering something to the Mayor. Kazuha has a bad feeling about the deal and feels nervous.

Ran: "It might be a love premonition, you know?"

Conan (sweats).

After the dinner with all of the members Heiji listens to a tale about a local "youkai" (a phantom). The writer admits he came to investigate the phantom, not the buried treasure. A foreigner miner who was trapped in the cave-in accident called for help but his throat was damaged and he couldn't speak so he left behind a memo with the words "nue". (Note: "nue" is a mythological specter, with a monkey's face, raccoon body, tiger's limbs, and the tail is a snake).

The writer wants to make of the tale an article titled "Curse of the Nue". The novelist slaps the writer while telling him not to talk so merrily about dead people. The archeologist and the scholar mock the novelist saying that he/she must also write similar books.

Mayor: "Come on. Ladies & gentlemen. Please behave. Let's have a proper rest this evening. Tomorrow we'll go to the mining site, to the cave..."

A sound similar to cry of unknown source rings out and seems to intercept the Mayor's voice.

Novelist: "My, talk about curious..."

Writer: "It's here?"

Historian: "So it's also on this forest..."

Archeologist: "That cry... It's the Nue's cry..."

Side-note: "Where did the 'love premonition go to!?' (cries) The eerie night closing into Yadori Village... Is it the cry of the ancient monster, the "Nue"!?

My own thoughts:

Looks like "that great detective" from the 957 side-note was, indeed, Heiji. I really don't think Gosho's gonna pull a Shiragami (646–651/521–522), here, and have Shinichi show up.

Guess we'll have to wait to see what Ran does with this knowledge, if this case will just be a classic Heiji case with no connection to the plot, and if we're going to see a third confession attempt (by either Heiji or Kazuha) fail.

Ran questioned Rei/Tooru about him being smart enough not to be Kogoro's apprentice during Detectives' Nocturne (796–800/671–674), but for her to assume he's working with Azusa's imposter would take another catalyst, like her being called angel.

"that great detective" --> I'm thinking Yamamura.

While I don't think it was referencing Yamamura, I wouldn't doubt that he could still "somehow" sneak his way in just to make a cheap joke from the start of the file. As much as I like Yamamura, 3 supernatural Heiji cases in a row with him is just too much too soon.

Now that it's in Shizuoka, I hope that means we'll be seeing Sango. I like him and it's been awhile since he appeared.

• Upvote 1

"that great detective" --> I'm thinking Yamamura.

Have the side-notes at the ends of files ever had such sarcastic hints at the happenings of the next case?

Now that it's in Shizuoka, I hope that means we'll be seeing Sango. I like him and it's been awhile since he appeared.

He hasn't appeared since File 827 (July 2012), so he's due an appearance, certainly.

The case does look like it'll be fun. Heiji cases usually have good mystery, so I'm kinda welcoming of another 5 chapter case (It does seem like it'll be a longer one). Zombie case was pretty good too. Kinda torn on the case being sold as a "romantic-comedy" though.  

We've had "plot" essentially since the start of the year, so a "break" was bound to happen sooner or later.

My favourite Heiji case might be the one on the ship(one of the very old ones)... well it's hard to say, he has just too many great cases, Gosho should seriously start a Meitantei Heiji xD

I doubt there'll be any confession attempts by Heiji, don't know if Kazuha will try, even if she does she'll probably fail. Gosho did say he is planning on another international case, so I think Heiji will confess there... well at least not in a haunted mansion xD

Shizuoka sounds good.
Conan haven't been go out to prefecture except for Nagano and Gunma lately.
I prefer there is no Yamamura on this case. He will avoid Heiji for a while after the awkward situation he was having.
It seems like no ASACA in this case.
I would like to see Heiji meet Kuroda...
Will he knows anything new about the mysterious man?

Since Nue is said to posses the appearances of of 3-4 creatures, Monkey face, Tiger legs, body of a Tanuki and snake's tail, there's a possibility of learning some new info regarding the Identity Rum from this case. ;)

Since Nue is said to posses the appearances of of 3-4 creatures, Monkey face, Tiger legs, body of a Tanuki and snake's tail, there's a possibility of learning some new info regarding the Identity Rum from this case. ;)

Agreed and i think Asaca is a hint to the break down of who ASAKA is.

asa = morning ca = cafe - Asaca. Asaka imo is Mary as a body guard that had the pill used on her but RUM Did not realise she deaged. But thinks has died

Guess there is a possibility on that. ^_^

5 person excluding the group... Hopefully only one murder/accident and 4 suspects,

instead of 2 murders/accidents and 3 suspects.

Seems good so far :D Is this the third time Heiji appeared in a treasure-related case? The first one was the one where Heizo was really cool, and the second one with the Kichiemon built house I think.

I think that the message left by the dead Charlie Abel was been turned around and misread. The notebook that the message was written in was placed vertical and the dying man wrote the word on the page that was furthest from him. If we assume that he wrote the word as he read it, then the torned side of the page would have been beneath the message, but when the message was shown the torned side was above the message. So if we can trust the flash-back-show, then it's very likely that the message was turned around and misread. The closest thing I could get at 'nue' turned was 'anu' 

The piece of paper 

Its Japanese : てつの (Tetsuno)

the page is not only held upside down, but they are also looking at the wrong side of the page

the ink must have bleed through

since they didn't look at the page immediately, its possible that it got turned around when

the other two ran out of the cave. 

This happened in a previous case where Ran and Sonoko saw writing on a window that said
 " , t e l し "  which sideways was " かのう " (Kanou) the name of the killer

9cQOZk1.jpg

10 bucks, that heiji will not confess to kazuha and that ran will confess to conan about shinichi

We will see of whether better than Big Ben is true or not.

Somebody will ruin the moment, the probability is 95%

I'm guessing that the reporter (Tsurumi?) is related in some way to the man who died in the accident. The dog...approached Tsurumi and licked him, even wagging its tail. Most dogs don't do that to strangers, so the dog (which was previously owned by Charlie, who died in the accident) probably knows Tsurumi. It could be that Tsurumi is related to the dog's previous owner (thus, the dog knew him as well) or that Tsurumi's the one who's been secretly taking care of and feeding the dog.

By the way, nice photo, jimmy-kud0-tv2!

People may have misinterpreted the message left by Charlie and assumed that it's referring to the monster. The story was passed from one person to another, and nobody tried to reread the message. And now someone's probably trying to make a monster-related incident based off 'nue'.

I hope this case won't disappoint.

The piece of paper 

Its Japanese : てつの (Tetsuno)

the page is not only held upside down, but they are also looking at the wrong side of the page

the ink must have bleed through

since they didn't look at the page immediately, its possible that it got turned around when

the other two ran out of the cave. 

This happened in a previous case where Ran and Sonoko saw writing on a window that said
 " , t e l し "  which sideways was " かのう " (Kanou) the name of the killer

9cQOZk1.jpg

I agree that this seems like the intended meaning right now...

A few things bother me though. The victim was said to be a foreigner who barely knew any Japanese; he wouldn't write his last words in a language he barely knew. Did he want the others to be able to read it?

It could also be that he made a mistake when writing the hiragana and mistook one letter for another. It can explain why 'tetsuno' has no clear meaning as of right now. Well... it relates to the 'treasure', since that was really the only reason we know that Charlie was there.

Time to wait for the next chapter to get more details~

Text Spoilers from File 959

Translation by Spimer of DCTP

Break on May 18th. 960 on May 25th.

File 959: The night in which the Nue screams

Nue. That's the legendary monster... No, it isn't. Turns out it's also another name for the Scaly Trush species of bird.
It obviously wasn't the cry of the monster yet there's a legend about it.
Yadori Village was previously known as Yachou (Night-bird) Village yet the word isn't pronounced "nue". 
Heiji suggests that maybe the famed memo actually meant to signal a Scaly Trush so the Mayor brings the physical memo.

The memo was found next to the miner's corpse along with an old hairpin: the notebook from which the memo was torn off was found a few days ago and it was lacking a page which was the memo's page.
There are more than enough props to create the atmosphere of the buried treasure being around: if someone makes smart use of them and films a PV about it that would be benefitial for the village.

Once the dinner's over all guests go to their respective rooms: the Mayor readies the drinks they ask of him and says he'll come bring them later. The girls get afraid because they hear that mice can show up in the rooms: the reporter tries to flirt with them again only to be driven away by Heiji & Conan. 

In the meanwhile, the historian mutters that he wants to go to sleep soon and when he places the key on his room's keyhole he finds what seems to be a letter at his feet...

Conan & co.'s room desk has a notebook on it: Conan opens it and finds 1 page almost wholly filled with the "あ" (a) hiragana. It'd seem this was a notebook in which the late miner was doing Japanese writing tests. Heiji spots some glow on the outside through the window: he opens it and finds a fire on the ground right below the window. Everyone comes out the hotel and looks beyond the flames: a big and hairy "monster" grabs the "danger: don't come in!" banner with the teeth and runs off.

Heiji, the Mayor and the others put off the fire: he and Conan go check the backside of the hotel: they find the banner there but no trace of the supposed "monster." When they wonder if it ran into the pond they find some bloodtraces on the ground. They follow the trail and find the historian, dead, with signs of something having slashed his back...

Side-note: has the "Nue" finally shown up!? To be continued in Issue #26. Break next week due to author gathering material.

• Upvote 1