Detective Conan World
CarpetCrawler

What Was the Last Song You Listened To?

Well the songs that I described "pure crap" are those about Fame, Money, Drugs and Youknowwhat plus a couple of songs about the artist's self-esteem issues, haha. And, the last time I checked the mainstream charts, those are the recurring themes, at the most.

Anyways, yeah, 'Counting Stars' is a mainstream songs  and as I said, I listen to some mainstream songs but only 'some'. There are really exceptions to that especially if I found the song really good in the ear or promotes goodness, but one thing is for sure, I don't listen to mainstream radio deliberately just to find one or intentionally asking a mainstream geek, It's more of a word of mouth really or me unintentionally hearing it.

And btw, I haven't really listed any song here that is completely mainstream or maybe I did but only once or twice or thrice and sometimes it's unintentional. If you're talking about those bands that I listen to (e.g. OneRepublic, Coldplay, Imagine Dragons, The Script and etc.), their songs aren't really mainstream as most people defines it. They are more of a lesser version of the mainstream, alternative that is. I mean not everyone goes crazy on their songs compared to Miley Cyrus' or One Direction's or JB's. They might have some in their arsenal that can be considered mainstream but it's really only few. Plus, most of the time, those don't even reach the top 10 in charts. And also, those bands, I liked them for years so you might see that I have heard to a very popular song by them and think that I only listened to it, becoz it's 'mainstream' or have gone popular but nah, it's more of it's from the band that I love, that's why I did listen to it.

Anyway, honestly, it's up to you. If you really believe that those bands are mainstream and I'm being a hypocrite, then I'm okay with it. I won't defend myself or them. It's your opinion. I won't really debate with that :P  Everyone has a definition of what mainstream is so I think it doesn't matter.

---

I agree that Adam Levine's voice is really distinct and that's one of the things that I love from Maroon 5. Man, Misery is catchy as heck same with This Love. Sunday Morning too. Anyways, seems like you don't like 'She Will Be Loved' :P .IMO, that song is their best song to date. I mean the heck, Adam's Vocals, there, was just top notch and really emotional. Plus, gah, the instrumentation just blends perfectly with the theme of the song and with the vocals.

Haha, what unique style? You mean the really punchy electric guitar and bass sound that they had before? I kinda agree. I didn't hear it on their songs on their last albums before their current one (which is 'V'). I mean just compare the very funky instrumentation in Misery and This Love to the Bland/Generic instrumentation in Payphone. It's like they got lazy writing for the instruments and just decided to focus completely on Adam Levine's Vocals. Don't get me wrong tho, I still like Payphone. :P Anyways, their current album tho, you can hear the funkiness again (e.g. Maps/Sugar) but it's basically a softer and stripped down version.

Well, I liked Payphone becoz for some reason, I get nostalgia listening to it. On the other hand, on Daylight, Adam Levine's Vocals their was pretty neat. But one thing I hated about those two songs is the generic instrumentation that they had. It's completely poppy.

as surprising as this may sound, I don't mind songs about drugs, money, fame, etc. (or at least for the most part)

there are a ton of elements that factor into whether I like a song or not and admittedly, sometimes some pretty trivial reasons

basically any song that is regularly played on the radio or has hit the charts is considered mainstream in my eyes

it's really general, but I don't really have specific criteria that determines whether a song is mainstream or not

and the bands that you listed seem pretty mainstream

The fact that most of their songs regularly hit millions of views just screams mainstream, and so I treat them as such.

"They are more of a lesser version of the mainstream, alternative that is" I'd like for you to explain the "alternative that is" part of this sentence.

of course, the definition of mainstream differs from person to person, so feel free to disagree; this is just my take on the subject

heck, even where we live can affect what we consider as mainstream

and what part of my previous response implied that I didn't like She Will Be Loved? It's a decent song

"unique style" being the fact that many of M5's songs are in minor keys

the background instruments also deserve to be recognized

it's a shame they were ditched for the electropop instrumental

I couldn't agree more with you on the "lazy writing," not only in instrumentation, but in lyrics as well

seriously, wtf are Maps and Sugar?

I dunno, Payphone was just too depressing for my taste, lol.

late reply is late; sorry, was busy, haha

--

Blue Jeans- Lana Del Rey

as surprising as this may sound, I don't mind songs about drugs, money, fame, etc. (or at least for the most part)

there are a ton of elements that factor into whether I like a song or not and admittedly, sometimes some pretty trivial reasons

basically any song that is regularly played on the radio or has hit the charts is considered mainstream in my eyes

it's really general, but I don't really have specific criteria that determines whether a song is mainstream or not

and the bands that you listed seem pretty mainstream

The fact that most of their songs regularly hit millions of views just screams mainstream, and so I treat them as such.

"They are more of a lesser version of the mainstream, alternative that is" I'd like for you to explain the "alternative that is" part of this sentence.

of course, the definition of mainstream differs from person to person, so feel free to disagree; this is just my take on the subject

heck, even where we live can affect what we consider as mainstream

and what part of my previous response implied that I didn't like She Will Be Loved? It's a decent song

"unique style" being the fact that many of M5's songs are in minor keys

the background instruments also deserve to be recognized

it's a shame they were ditched for the electropop instrumental

I couldn't agree more with you on the "lazy writing," not only in instrumentation, but in lyrics as well

seriously, wtf are Maps and Sugar?

I dunno, Payphone was just too depressing for my taste, lol.

late reply is late; sorry, was busy, haha

--

Blue Jeans- Lana Del Rey

I see. Well, I do mind. At least, how it impacts those dumb people. I mean I don't care if the people who listens are like us who are smart enough to figure out that we shouldn't follow what the song proposes. But if you put the dumb people or the children who listens to those songs in the equation, they might find the meaning of those songs cool and they just do what the songs tell them to do. For example, Snoop Dogg's Smoke Weeds Everyday or Young, Wild and Free.

Well, alternative, for me, are those bands or artists that had just some success in mainstream. And also, they still stayed distinct from mainstream and have their own musical style.

My solid definition of non-mainstream artists: they don't write music to get in to mainstream and they still have their own style. It doesn't matter if they do get mainstream attention or not. On the other hand, mainstream artists: those who write music to get mainstream attention and also, they don't have their unique style. They just tend to follow what's 'mainstream'. And also, they mostly don't write their songs. E.g. One Direction didn't write their successful songs. Miley Cyrus didn't write Wrecking Ball :3 Also, One Direction used charisma instead of their songs to be popular. Miley Cyrus used controversy. Anyways, those two are just examples. There are more in mainstream that are like that.

Anyways, In simple terms: Non-Mainstream = they might be mainstream or not but THEY'RE AREN'T TRYING TO BE MAINSTREAM OR THEY DIDN'T START AS MAINSTREAM; Mainstream = THEY'RE ALWAYS TRYING TO BE MAINSTREAM AND MOSTLY, THEY STARTED WITH THE GOAL OF BEING MAINSTREAM, IN MIND.

I just assumed you didn't like She Will Be Loved since you didn't include it. :P

Haha, I cannot really distinguish if a song is written in minor or major key :P

I'm just gonna go with the lazy writing in instrumentation coz the lyrics of payphone were pretty decent, IMO. But anyways, in relation to the mainstream topic, on that song, it's M5 trying to be mainstream. You could only minimal instruments in that song, a signature of mainstream music :P No Drums and stuffs.

Sugar | Maps

I love depressing songs. It's just like a drug for me or something :P JK

---

Kris Allen - No Boundaries

Yoo, Del Rey's style is pretty neat.  Here music videos are really artistic and the atmosphere of her songs are haunting.  Good stuff, for sure.

haha, yeah.

I didn't pay much heed to her songs at first but Blue Jeans really caught my attention

I see. Well, I do mind. At least, how it impacts those dumb people. I mean I don't care if the people who listens are like us who are smart enough to figure out that we shouldn't follow what the song proposes. But if you put the dumb people or the children who listens to those songs in the equation, they might find the meaning of those songs cool and they just do what the songs tell them to do. For example, Snoop Dogg's Smoke Weeds Everyday or Young, Wild and Free.

Well, alternative, for me, are those bands or artists that had just some success in mainstream. And also, they still stayed distinct from mainstream and have their own musical style.

My solid definition of non-mainstream artists: they don't write music to get in to mainstream and they still have their own style. It doesn't matter if they do get mainstream attention or not. On the other hand, mainstream artists: those who write music to get mainstream attention and also, they don't have their unique style. They just tend to follow what's 'mainstream'. And also, they mostly don't write their songs. E.g. One Direction didn't write their successful songs. Miley Cyrus didn't write Wrecking Ball :3 Also, One Direction used charisma instead of their songs to be popular. Miley Cyrus used controversy. Anyways, those two are just examples. There are more in mainstream that are like that.

Anyways, In simple terms: Non-Mainstream = they might be mainstream or not but THEY'RE AREN'T TRYING TO BE MAINSTREAM OR THEY DIDN'T START AS MAINSTREAM; Mainstream = THEY'RE ALWAYS TRYING TO BE MAINSTREAM AND MOSTLY, THEY STARTED WITH THE GOAL OF BEING MAINSTREAM, IN MIND.

I just assumed you didn't like She Will Be Loved since you didn't include it. :P

Haha, I cannot really distinguish if a song is written in minor or major key :P

I'm just gonna go with the lazy writing in instrumentation coz the lyrics of payphone were pretty decent, IMO. But anyways, in relation to the mainstream topic, on that song, it's M5 trying to be mainstream. You could only minimal instruments in that song, a signature of mainstream music :P No Drums and stuffs.

Sugar | Maps

I love depressing songs. It's just like a drug for me or something :P JK

lolololol those songs are freaking hilarious

It's really hard for me to take them seriously

and I think people are being wayyy too uptight about censorship these days. Like, I could listen to these songs in elementary and middle school and I probably wouldn't have been affected much. It can also be rather hard to make out the words of these songs so it's not like a primary school student would understand them. Heck, I probably listened to a ton of profane songs on the radio when I was younger and I couldn't understand jack. I just thought they were catchy.

if something gets mainstream attention, it's considered mainstream--whether you want it to be or not

once it's out of the spotlight, it's not mainstream anymore

simple as that

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at because mainstream = "the principal or dominant course, tendency, or trend"

you're over complicating things, but whatever suits your fancy, I suppose.

geezus, you really enjoy bashing on mainstream stuff, don't ya, lol

ehh, depressing music isn't for me

I prefer emotional ones, but only on occasion 

I enjoy upbeat and nonchalant music a lot more

EDIT: this conversation is getting a bit excessive, I'm gonna stop here

--

basically what I'm feeling right now, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......................

I love OSTs