Detective Conan World
Uncle Sporkums

"Phishing" Security Report

I got it too with Chrome, already reported to Maurice. We haven't identified the problem yet, hopefully it'll be fixed soon. In the meantime, please refrain from visiting DCW unless you understand the risk, even if you do, use an ad-blocker if you haven't already in case that's the source of the malicious script (that's hardly ever the cause though, but just to be sure). Also note that even after the site has been cleansed of all threats, you may still see the warning for a while until they update their database.

Seriously can't we ever get a break? -_-

• Upvote 1

"Again"?

....This has happened before? 

Hopefully the issue will be found and fixed soon if it hasn't already and we're just waiting for the database to update

• Upvote 1

Looks like the forums and wiki are at the very least in good working order now.

And by the way, Maurice-senpai, please notice me.  I sent you a PM a while back stating my interest to donate to this site, but I'm beginning to think you don't want my money.

110.gif

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!

UNt1RLF.png

MAURICE JUST LOGGED ON!  THIS IS MY CHANCE!  I'm sending a PM your way, boss!

EDIT2: He logged back out.....................

acchi.PNG2.PNG123.PNG

Edited by Akazora
  • Upvote 1

Well, you can always give the money to me... :P

All you have to do is to click the "Support us" button on the top and follow the instruction to make a donation (although it's temporarily down atm), then tell Maurice so he can promote you to Donator status. Or at least that's what I did anyway...

As someone who's still lurking around here from time to time :P I also got the phishing message on my Firefox when I visited in the last few days.

What's weird tho is that I checked the site immediately with "Google's Safe Browsing" thingy after getting the site is a Web Forgery notice and it says that it's safe. The weird thing is that Google Chrome and Firefox reports that the site is a Phishing when all in all, it just uses the same program I stated for verifying if a site is listed as a phishing, has a malware or whatnot. So, it's totally possible that there might have been a glitch/bug in the Safe Browsing System which caused this site to be reported as a webforgery or something and we're so lucky that it happened on us :P

Anyways, I also checked the site with other well known website scanners and samething, they report that the site is clean: (For any users who are worrying if DCW has any malware whatever)

Google's Safe Browsing:
m1DQZD3.png

StopBadware.Org:
ZOSbbMs.png
Interesting to see tho that DCW has been blacklisted 3 times in the Past.

VirusTotal:
rmgjQBN.png
Uses almost all known Security Scanners to scan something. It's pretty unlikely for any malware/phishing site to get past VirusTotal.

Also, other than having an Ad-Blocker as BD said, I urge anyone who uses Firefox to install NoScript security suite plugin to prevent or lessen any further threats in the future. If you're using GC on the otherhand, you're much safer already lol. Other than that, I also recommend everyone to install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit . It's highly recommended by Tech Experts. It's completely free (altho it says get a free trial on the site), super lightweight (like 1 mb +) and just basically adds a layer of protection to your computer.

• Upvote 2

Looks like the forums and wiki are at the very least in good working order now.

And by the way, Maurice-senpai, please notice me.  I sent you a PM a while back stating my interest to donate to this site, but I'm beginning to think you don't want my money.

110.gif

EDIT: !!!!!!!!!!!

UNt1RLF.png

MAURICE JUST LOGGED ON!  THIS IS MY CHANCE!  I'm sending a PM your way, boss!

EDIT2: He logged back out.....................

acchi.PNG2.PNG123.PNG

Don't worry, It's just that I haven't had a chance to look at my messages yet. I'll answer soon don't worry. :P

I've been working on a few server-side issues/things related to the whole situation. Plus I work during the day, so I don't have much time in a full day but I'll get to it soon. ;)

Don't worry, It's just that I haven't had a chance to look at my messages yet. I'll answer soon don't worry. :P

I've been working on a few server-side issues/things related to the whole situation. Plus I work during the day, so I don't have much time in a full day but I'll get to it soon. ;)

It's all cool man, I'm just glad I finally got the chance to donate to this site!  Thanks for everything you do!

thumbsup.gif

Oh come on it's back again :/

I have a question to you guys, is this surely just a bug or is there actually any real risk? Unfortunately I don't have an anti-virus on this PC so I am kinda getting scared because of it.

For some reason, Firefox reports DCW again as a "web forgery". Checked the Google's Safe Browsing Database again and same thing, it doesn't report the site as a phishing site. It's really weird. I dunno why Firefox or Chrome is acting up on DCW.

Oh come on it's back again :/

I have a question to you guys, is this surely just a bug or is there actually any real risk? Unfortunately I don't have an anti-virus on this PC so I am kinda getting scared because of it.

I'm pretty certain myself that it's false positive.

I have three layers of security thing here on my Laptop (NoScript, Anti-Exploit and Kaspersky) and neither one of them reports anything wrong when I visit DCW. It's just the browser which does that.

But again, I'm not a super expert on this stuff so better be answered by the Mods or our Admin.

I have never caught anything from regular browsing on the site, but I have flash and javascript blocked by default. I wouldn't recommend the using the site in its current state without flash and javascript blockers on. I wish these warnings would say specifically what problem was found because it would be easier to figure out the where and why.

There are a few attack vectors, like the adserver or the forum software IP.board/Invision Power Board which is used by many different websites and is thus an attractive target. Either one could be compromised.

The forum software was in the news recently as a hack target.

https://blog.surfwatchlabs.com/2016/04/15/web-hosting-provider-to-major-sports-leagues-media-and-entertainment-companies-breached-by-alpha-2-0/

nice to see that MK still lurks around here

The old warning just went away not too long ago, so I wonder what it is this time. Regardless of whether or not it's the same thing from last time, hopefully it's an easy fix. 

--------

Though I'm not sure if it's directly related or not, this only started occurring after we got the phising warning last time, so maybe it's got something to do with the warnings we've been getting. (If it's unrelated, I can make a separate thread for it) My phone's browsers (neither chrome nor safari) haven't been letting me access any part of the DCW forum for the past couple weeks. The desktop version is accessible from my laptop without issue (aside from the recent warning), but I keep getting  "Fatal error: Call to a member function userHoverCard() on a non-object in /home/dcw/public_html/forum/admin/sources/base.ips.Member.php on line 164". I'm assuming it's not just on my end since "fatal error" sounds kinda concerning, but in case it is, sorry for bringing it up here. Anyone else experience this though? 

Sounds like you need to flush your cache on your phone.

A "fatal error" is an error that can't be shoved under the digital rug, so to speak. Browsers are often designed to handle websites with bad and contradictory code. Many times the browser will "push past" the error and some parts of the site will still work; such a thing is called "failing gracefully" or "fault tolerant". A fatal error is a fail badly-type error. It occurs when there is an error in critical code that keeps everything else from starting or continuing to function. That's why it is fatal, it kills the website dead instead of letting it limp along.

Sounds like you need to flush your cache on your phone. A "fatal error" is an error that can't be shoved under the digital rug, so to speak. Browsers are often designed to handle websites with bad and contradictory code. Many times the browser will "push past" the error and some parts of the site will still work; such a thing is called "failing gracefully" or "fault tolerant". A fatal error is a fail badly-type error. It occurs when there is an error in critical code that keeps everything else from starting or continuing to function. That's why it is fatal, it kills the website dead instead of letting it limp along.

I've been having the same issue as machine, and even after clearing the cache I'm still getting the fatal error.  The homepage and wiki still load fine, and all the tabs that should be 404'ed are 404'ed (Watch, Chat, Shop, etc.), but the forum refuses to load through no matter what I do.

My website is completely down on my phone (as mentioned in my status update some days back), but on the PC, only the Wiki and Forum seems to be working... Everything else is 404.. :3

I tried that back when the error first appeared. Once or twice I was briefly able to access the forum, but when I tried to login, it went back to giving me the error message. Oddly enough though, another forum I frequent uses the same forum software, and I can access that just fine on my phone. My phone's browsers haven't had trouble with any other websites either, so it seems to be just a thing with DCW's forum.

Seems like the warning went away. It's probably one of the threads that have been replied on recently or it could be the status updates coz Safe Browsing only checks the index page of the forum and the only thing that really changes in the front page is the status updates and the link to the most recent topic replied on from each subforums.

Another possibility: Certain Trolls has probably reported our site as a "web forgery site" twice just for the lulz and may do it again in the future. We couldn't rule that out.

Anyways, as a reply to Chek about it possibly being the Adserver, I say it's highly unlikely. The Adserver being used by DCW is Google Ads and Google Ads are literally everywhere. If there was a malware lurking behind one of the Ads being shown it would have been detected by countless of other sites using Google Ads and it would have been in the news but it seems like that it happens only here.

Also may I add in that the warning only shows up when I visit the forum itself it doesn't show up on the wiki, nor on the frontpage of DCW, nor on any other parts of DCW.

I've been having the same issue as machine, and even after clearing the cache I'm still getting the fatal error.  The homepage and wiki still load fine, and all the tabs that should be 404'ed are 404'ed (Watch, Chat, Shop, etc.), but the forum refuses to load through no matter what I do.

My website is completely down on my phone (as mentioned in my status update some days back), but on the PC, only the Wiki and Forum seems to be working... Everything else is 404.. :3

I tried that back when the error first appeared. Once or twice I was briefly able to access the forum, but when I tried to login, it went back to giving me the error message. Oddly enough though, another forum I frequent uses the same forum software, and I can access that just fine on my phone. My phone's browsers haven't had trouble with any other websites either, so it seems to be just a thing with DCW's forum.

I also have this error when I login to DCW using my phone. The site works as long as you are not logged in but if you login you'll only see the hovercard php error. Btw, I'm using opera mini.

Also, tried clearing everything on my browser. Still doesn't work.

EDIT: Just after I posted this, the warning came back :V WTF

EDIT 2: I tried opening the forum on another browser. The warning doesn't show up. WTH is going on.

TL;DR DCW is under attack, but there is no danger. I have to resort to firefox to come here on my PC (since I'm too lazy to download in on my phone).

TL;DR DCW is under attack, but there is no danger. I have to resort to firefox to come here on my PC (since I'm too lazy to download in on my phone).

I wouldn't assume there is no danger. IPboard (the maker of the forum software) was in the news recently because an attacker hoped to push a botnet trojan via a vulnerability, but was blocked by security researchers alerting the forum makers of his intentions. That said, if you protect yourself by blocking flash and javascript, you are probably alright.

I tried that back when the error first appeared. Once or twice I was briefly able to access the forum, but when I tried to login, it went back to giving me the error message.

the forums are functional on mobile as long as you access it through the log-in page instead of the homepage

...or I could be entirely wrong and maybe it actually depends on your phone's browser because I haven't tried this with any other phone browser

I also have this error when I login to DCW using my phone. The site works as long as you are not logged in but if you login you'll only see the hovercard php error. Btw, I'm using opera mini.

I can log-in on mobile, but I'm using Safari

Disabling Javascript is such a pain lol.

I've gotten completely used to it. I save a whitelist for commonly used pages. If it takes me 15 seconds to find the right combination of scripts to whitelist to let a page run, it doesn't even phase me a little, but if I am stopped by an autoplay ad or popup, I become incandescently angry. I think the difference is it's easy to tolerate pauses to make a page work than ones that are engineered by someone else to disrupt the experience. Surprisingly many pages are more functional and load faster as barebones html and css. Usually the stuff you don't need is the stuff that needs scripts.

And f*** flash, seriously.

If any of you don't like the idea of fiddling with scripts, I am sympathetic because it is a lot of work, but get yourself a flash blocker. Browsing the internet without a flash blocker active is like having blind roulette unprotected sex with the first person who pops up on tinder: ugly and virus laden. Nothing good on the internet comes in flash, except for old stick figure fighting animations.