Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 951-953: Soul Detective

Translations from presumenothing (952)

#952 p3 (last 2 frames): Sera "M-more importantly, any idea who the criminal is yet?" Kogoro "It seems like he met someone else before meeting me..." "So the criminal should be that person.." "I guess it's probably someone related to that case 17 years ago?" "Hotta Gaito apparently said that he wanted to summon the spirit of Haneda Kouji, who was killed in that case..."

#952 p4: Sera "Ha..." "Haneda..." MG (thinking) "Kouji!!" Sera "And then? Did you hear anything about the case from that Soul Detective?" Kogoro "N-no..." "We hadn't met yet..." Conan "What is it? Did you know that person named Haneda Kouji?" Sera "Y-yeah..." "He played shogi, didn't he?"

#952 p7: (thinking) “Why park at a place like this…?” “Anyway…” “I’ll take a photo first…” [shutter sounds] “Just in case, I might as well…” “Underneath the balcony too…”

#952 p8 (from 3rd frame): Sera "Just like I said..." "Isn't he very sharp? That kid!" MG "More importantly, will you hurry up and solve this case!" "If the police is allowed to investigate this room, my presence will be exposed..." "Before that group of people catch the scent of information about Haneda Kouji's murder..." "And come here..."

#952 p11: Conan says that Sera seems like she’s giving a detailed explanation to someone, Sera answers that she’s just talking to herself. MG is shown listening to Sera’s words over the phone.

#952 p13:  (after Conan explains the circumstances of the body’s discovery when Sera asks)
Conan “How was that? Can it be conveyed clearly? To that certain person!" 
Sera "Like I said, who’s this certain person you’re talking about…”

#952 p15: Conan (thinking) “That’s it!” “That’s how it is!!” (aloud) “Sera-no-neechan…" 
Sera (on the phone) "Eh? Send what?”

i thought he left the voice changer there for a reason, i guess its going to be funny now that he has to get creative

The shocked look on Conan's face in the end panel is great  :P - I wonder how he'll overcome that obstacle.

Also seems like some character is going to make a "big action" next file. Assuming that it's Mary, who also appears to be a little badass in this chapter. I'm being optimistic and holding out hope that Sera and Mary will finally become relevant after all this time, or at least soon...

• Upvote 1

The shocked look on Conan's face in the end panel is great  :P - I wonder how he'll overcome that obstacle.

Also seems like some character is going to make a "big action" next file. Assuming that it's Mary, who also appears to be a little badass in this chapter. I'm being optimistic and holding out hope that Sera and Mary will finally become relevant after all this time, or at least soon...

It would seem that there will be an exchange, bowtie for the picture

most likely they will steal it from one another

i think its been long enough, and i want them to meet within the next 3 months

Also seems like some character is going to make a "big action" next file.

領域外の妹は、もうすぐマンガで大活躍するよーー(笑)。

The ryōiki-gai no imōto (sister from outside the domain) will be active soon in the manga (laugh). (Postcard 2016, uploaded Feb 20th)

メアリーは、もうすぐマンガで大活躍するよーー(笑)。

Mary will be active soon in the manga (laugh). (Postcard 2016, uploaded Feb 28th)

本日早朝6時に、サンデー17号原稿アップ&無事受け取り! 掲載は今月後半ですが、「あのキャラ」の大活躍っぷりに、打ち合わせで内容を知っていても驚くことしきり。ぜひお楽しみに!

I uploaded and received a Sunday 17 manuscript safety at 6 a.m.! It will be posted in the second half of this month. I knew the story in the meeting, but I was very surprised by the character's big action. Please look forward to it!  (Secret Talk, March 1st)

While the translations are different, the same kanji is used, so its most likely going to be Mary. 

How the trick works.
(Pictures by JimmyKudoTV)

Texts and phone.

Fukuri probably called himself with the victim's phone to get texts and calls at the right time. There appears to be incriminating evidence on Fukuri's phone since he was rather protective of it.

Shoes footprints, etc
The footprints and shoes were preplanted after Fukuri murdered Hotta earlier in the day. Fukuri was the guy that Hotta was meeting with earlier most likely.

Falling dishware trick.
Takagi slammed his hand down right where the dish was set up to fall off the table. There was salt where he hit. The salt was probably heaped into a very tiny little pile under the dish to get it tilted just enough so the dish was already tipping just a bit. That means that only a small disturbance is needed to get the dish to fall. Given how this trick works with making eggs stand upright, I don't think it takes much salt. (you can blow the excess away)

I'm not sure what Fukuri uses to get the table to vibrate. The easiest (and least evidence-producing) would be to get the door between the bedroom and main room to slam shut by using a temperature imbalance + draft caused by opening the front door. (It's pretty common in drafty houses for one door to slam shut under air pressure when another is opened.) Megure noticed the heater had been left on in the main room and the door to the bedroom had been closed. There was no sound of a slam though and the door appears to open the wrong way which leads me to believe the air pressure trick wasn't used for this first part.

A second version is Fukuri taped a phone under the table and set it to vibrate in order to cause the vibrations he needed to tip the plate. He did so when he called it pretending to hang up on a prank call. He recovered the phone later, stuffed the tape in the wine bottle, and will simply pretend to have a second phone.

Somewhat bizarrely there is some item pasted above the door when Kogoro and friends first enter the room. Neither of the former tricks explains why it is needed.

j7LrtuQ.jpg
The tape and whatever other small items used in the entrance trick that would be too suspicious for Fukuri to have on his person were then hidden in the wine bottle, raising the level of the wine.

HbFDXpb.jpg

The porch.
The moving figure was created by dragging a blow-up dummy/tarp off the balcony using tape, air pressure, string, and the action of the guy's automatic convertible closing. The hot entry room and the cold open door of the porch generated an air pressure that detached the tarp when the door was opened it was then dragged over the side by the action of the convertable closing.
Like some modern fancy-pancy Japanese toilets, convertibles often work on remotes. Howdunnit culprit dude can  activate the closing of the hood from inside the room and fallen drag the dummy/whatever off the the ledge. The car's placement outside is such that it falls and lands in the convertible. The closing of the hood hides it inside the vehicle.
There is sticky residue was left above the porch door which Sera and Conan poke. The Tarp/dummy was probably mounted there with a tape where it was then pulled off by the air pressure/pulling of the convertible top.
Conan heard the sound of part of the trick, a wind-like sound made by the car hood closing or the falling whatever rubbing up against the sides of the building. Setting up the car part of this trick (opening the hood and connecting thread) is probably why Sanbira took extra time to bring the hotel worker from downstairs back.

I don't think I have this case 100% right but I think it's about 75% of the way there.

Also I am 100% expecting some BO to show up in the last chapter, maybe a Vermouth recon in the lobby or Gin looking grumpy while Vodka drives him around. "We were going to kill Hotta but someone else got him first."

I am still keeping my eyes peeled on the side characters like the bellhop.

• Upvote 3

Here's my Detective Conan FILE 951-952 chapter review!

Case Summary:

* Kogoro decides to meet the "soul detective" Hotta Gaito, who claims that he's gonna communicate with Haneda Kouji's soul and solve the case, so Conan tags along. They meet the director of Tokyo Tv, Fukuri Sanbira, who is rushing them to meet Hotta, who is later found killed.

951-952%2B17.png951-952%2B4.png

* Enter the crime scene:

- They weren't able to get in since no one responded and Fukuri even got an SOS message, sent from Hotta's phone, saying that he's about to be killed.

- Fukuri hurries to bring the bellboy so that he can open the door, and returns a little before 9 AM.

- before opening the door Fukuri's phone rings, and he claims that it was a prank call.

951-952%2B15.png951-952%2B16.png

- the moment they step into the room, they hear wine glass breaking, which Kogoro assumes that the killer dropped, and find a wine trail that leads to the bedroom.

951-952%2B21.png

- the moment they open the bedroom door, Conan and Kogoro witnesses the movement of something "fleeing" from the balcony while at the same time hearing the gust of wind entering the room.

951-952%2B13.png

- As they go outside to check the balcony, they find slippers with stains of wine and the only escape way was to the adjacent room, that we later find out is occupied by Sera and Mary.

951-952%2B14.png

* Before the police came, Conan checked Sera's balcony and noticed that Fukuri's convertible car was right under the gap between the two balconies and that it was weird of him to park it there when there was so many empty spaces in the parking lot.

951-952%2B3.png

* After the police came, they tested to see if the wine glass could fall from the vibrations of the floor below(that was being refurbished), that always started at 9 AM every day, and they came to conclusion that it wasn't a reliable source for the fall.

* Traces of salt was found on the table(where the plate, with wine glass on top, fell from).

951-952%2B12.png

* The heater was on in the room with the wine glass, while the bedroom was cold because of the open balcony door.

* Above the window of the balcony, there was traces of something being taped on it.

* Conan gets the last piece of hint from the function of the toilet seat that has sensor that opens up when it detects movement.

Deduction and Case Discussion:

* The Culprit is obviously the director of Tokyo TV, Fukuri Sanbira!

951-952%2B20.png

* After killing Hotta Gaito, his goal was to setup the illusion of someone being in the room, seconds before the discovery of the corpse. The first part of the illusion was the breaking plate and wine glass. the trick key to using the vibrations to make the glass fall is salt. By pouring salt on the edge of the table and placing the plate with the wine glass on it, with half of the plate sticking out of the table(like the phones below), the friction between the plate and the table will become reduced, and thus making it easier for it to slide off the table(like on ice) when the vibrations start. the trail of wine on the floor and the slippers with wine stain was prepared beforehand.

951-952%2B10.png

* The second part of the illusion is the suspicious movement in the balcony. What was most likely used there is a dark blanket(or coat). Like Sera mentioned(below), the culprit utilized the wind for this illusion. By first taping the blanket/coat over the balcony window, then making sure the bedroom was cold, while the room with the wine glass was warm, the wind will travel from the bedroom(cold) and exit into the hotel(warm) when a passage is made(from opening the doors). That wind is not enough to undo the tape according to Conan(below), which is why Fukuri used another trick key, and that is a "weight". Using this "weight", which is connected to the blanket/coat, it will undo the tape easier(because of the extra weight) as well as make the coat disappear. By making the weight hang between the two balconies, the moment the tape is undone, the "weight" will drag the blanket/coat through the gap between the balconies and fall, making it disappear. this "weight" is probably Hotta's phone(since it hasn't been picked up by the police yet), or maybe the bottle of salt that was on the table, or maybe both. Before possibly using the phone as weight, he sent a fake SOS message to his own phone.

951-952%2B18.png

* One question remains, where did the blanket/coat and the "weight" fall?

at this point, it should be obvious... they fell on Fukuri's convertible car that was parked right under the gap of the balconies! The hint that Conan got from the function of the toilet seat helped him realize that Fukuri used his convertible car's functions to hide the evidence. By using a remote to open up the roof of his car, then let the evidence fall in and then close it, he would be able to hide it, and then later get rid of it. Since his remote was far away from the sensor in the car, he might've not been able to open the roof through it, but if he used a remote app(supported by the car company) on his phone, then that could make it more possible. In order to hide the fact that he used his phone for that purpose, he set an alarm that would ring around 9 AM and acted like he was called by someone after it set off, then, while acting like he's turning off his phone, he opened the roof of his convertible car through the app.

951-952%2B19.png951-952%2B11.png

* The motive of the murder has most likely to do with Hotta Gaito's past activities as a "soul detective", specifically regarding the missing person, who's skeleton was found in the mountain. Fukuri might've been connected to that person in some way and got really furious when Hotta used the missing person's case for entertainment purposes, as well as bribing people into lying about witnessing that missing person in the mountains.

951-952%2B2.png

Plot Summary:

* Conan makes the conclusion that Haneda Kouji's dying message indicates that the murderer was the bodyguard of Amanda Hughes "Asaka", and that "Asaka" is "Rum". He even makes the connection that Haneda's death was due to the effects of the drug, that Haibara's parents were developing, which was forced into him. Conan comes to the conclusion that he's the first test subject of Haibara's drug APTX4869, after remembering Gin's words from chapter 1. 951-952%2B1.png

* He then proceeds to ask himself about the name "Asaka" and as he wants to look up the Haneda Kouji case once more, he realized it was deleted.

951-952%2B5.png

* When Kogoro and Conan explained the situation to Sera, the moment Haneda Kouji's name was brought up, Mary and Sera were shocked.

* Conan accidentally takes a picture of Mary, who was hiding under Sera's balcony.

951-952%2B7.png

* Mary tells Sera to solve the case fast before her(Mary's) existence becomes revealed to the others and before "they"(referring to someone or a group) makes an appearance.

* Mary accidentally gets a hold of Conan's bowtie.

Plot Discussion:

* From what has been implied in Conan's thought process, it's almost official that "Asaka" is "Rum". It's also confirmed that Shinichi is indeed the first test subject of APTX4869. This heavily implies that Mary shrank by the effect of Haibara's parents' drug(Silver Bullet)(assuming she shrank before Shinichi), which by itself forms a connection to Haneda Kouji, a fellow test subject. Sera and Mary's reaction to Haneda Kouji, and Sera's impatience when asking about him, implies that they were investigating him, making it highly possible that they are the ones who posted the case info into the internet(which they might've gotten from Akai's father), hoping to find more answers.

951-952%2B6.png

* Interesting to note is how well physically trained Mary seemed, for someone who's sickly, when hiding under the balcony. We know that Conan has kept his football/soccer talents after shrinking, so if Mary kept an "athlete" body even after shrinking, then that could be indicating she has undergone some form of training, possibly to become an agent.

951-952%2B9.png

* Also, we got our first clue to why Mary is hiding in the first place. The obvious answer was the black organization(which is the most likely choice, since Mary seemingly shrank), but since Gosho has been implying that Sera's doesn't know about the BO, it brings up the possibility that, rather than implying that an "Organization" might make a move, Mary was implying that "someone" might make a move, and that this "someone" could be "Rum"!(this way, Sera only needs to know that Mary is being chased by someone). Either there's a specific past behind Mary and Rum, or Rum is trying to locate the source of the Kouji-case-posters!

951-952%2B8.png

* Now that Conan got a picture of Mary, he'll be able to show Haibara, which would give us a chance to finally see her reaction, as well as more answers. Mary, who now got Conan's bowtie, was asking for Sera to send her something(maybe a picture of something) but she might be able to solve the case for him, which I'm looking forward to see!

• Upvote 3

How the trick works.

(Pictures by JimmyKudoTV)

Texts and phone.

Fukuri probably called himself with the victim's phone to get texts and calls at the right time. There appears to be incriminating evidence on Fukuri's phone since he was rather protective of it.

Shoes footprints, etc

The footprints and shoes were preplanted after Fukuri murdered Hotta earlier in the day. Fukuri was the guy that Hotta was meeting with earlier most likely.

Falling dishware trick.

Takagi slammed his hand down right where the dish was set up to fall off the table. There was salt where he hit. The salt was probably heaped into a very tiny little pile under the dish to get it tilted just enough so the dish was already tipping just a bit. That means that only a small disturbance is needed to get the dish to fall. Given how this trick works with making eggs stand upright, I don't think it takes much salt. (you can blow the excess away)

I'm not sure what Fukuri uses to get the table to vibrate. The easiest (and least evidence-producing) would be to get the door between the bedroom and main room to slam shut by using a temperature imbalance + draft caused by opening the front door. (It's pretty common in drafty houses for one door to slam shut under air pressure when another is opened.) Megure noticed the heater had been left on in the main room and the door to the bedroom had been closed. There was no sound of a slam though and the door appears to open the wrong way which leads me to believe the air pressure trick wasn't used for this first part.

A second version is Fukuri taped a phone under the table and set it to vibrate in order to cause the vibrations he needed to tip the plate. He did so when he called it pretending to hang up on a prank call. He recovered the phone later, stuffed the tape in the wine bottle, and will simply pretend to have a second phone.

Somewhat bizarrely there is some item pasted above the door when Kogoro and friends first enter the room. Neither of the former tricks explains why it is needed.

j7LrtuQ.jpg

The tape and whatever other small items used in the entrance trick that would be too suspicious for Fukuri to have on his person were then hidden in the wine bottle, raising the level of the wine.

HbFDXpb.jpg

The porch.

The moving figure was created by dragging a blow-up dummy/tarp off the balcony using tape, air pressure, string, and the action of the guy's automatic convertible closing. The hot entry room and the cold open door of the porch generated an air pressure that detached the tarp when the door was opened it was then dragged over the side by the action of the convertable closing.

Like some modern fancy-pancy Japanese toilets, convertibles often work on remotes. Howdunnit culprit dude can  activate the closing of the hood from inside the room and fallen drag the dummy/whatever off the the ledge. The car's placement outside is such that it falls and lands in the convertible. The closing of the hood hides it inside the vehicle.

There is sticky residue was left above the porch door which Sera and Conan poke. The Tarp/dummy was probably mounted there with a tape where it was then pulled off by the air pressure/pulling of the convertible top.

Conan heard the sound of part of the trick, a wind-like sound made by the car hood closing or the falling whatever rubbing up against the sides of the building. Setting up the car part of this trick (opening the hood and connecting thread) is probably why Sanbira took extra time to bring the hotel worker from downstairs back.

I don't think I have this case 100% right but I think it's about 75% of the way there.

Also I am 100% expecting some BO to show up in the last chapter, maybe a Vermouth recon in the lobby or Gin looking grumpy while Vodka drives him around. "We were going to kill Hotta but someone else got him first."

I am still keeping my eyes peeled on the side characters like the bellhop.

@Chek, the level of the wine goes back down before the end of 952, so I don't think there is a physical object inside the wine bottle. 

also, what do you think happened with the toilet? I forgot that was even in the chapter.

r7XiqHa.jpg

Text Spoilers - File 953 - http://nozomi.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ymag/1457481606/0-

前ページ注意(藤田新連載、最後のページでtkb券使用) 

FILE953 暗がりに鬼を繋ぐが如く 

コナンが変声機をなくし困っていると 
世良が「助けてあげよっか?」と言いつつ使っていたスマホを小五郎の首裏に置く 
するとスマホ越しに

"領域外"が小五郎の声で推理開始 
コナンはカーテンの裏に人影を見つけ、捕まえようとするが世良に止められる 

グラスは塩で傾けて立たせ、倒れる方向に皿を置き 
塩の余りを吹き飛ばし(実際は部屋の温度差で吹き飛ぶようにしていた) 
不自然に見えないよう、グラスのそばに瓶を置く 
あとは振動でグラスが倒れれば皿を巻き込みテーブルから床へ落ちる 
あらかじめ先に割った別のグラスを落下点に置くもよし 
ワインを撒いて足跡を偽装するもよし 

窓枠の粘着物は、何者かが逃げたようにするための小細工の跡 
さっきの風では塩を吹き飛ばすことはできても、そこまでは無理なため 
別の仕掛けを用意し、後で真下の車に片づける 
仕掛けにはオープンカーの屋根開閉スイッチ付きで 
仕掛けを拾うのを待ってから屋根を閉じるようセッティング 
地震やら改修工事やらで予期せぬ振動に邪魔されないよう 
ボーイが鍵を開けるタイミングを合わせるためにイタ電を鳴らす 

犯行動機は以前の番組 
山中から発見された遺体は古栗の妹 
妹は失恋を苦に自殺、古栗が捜索中だったのだが 
発見した堀田はそれを通報せず、遺体を埋めて自分の番組のネタに使った 

きりのいいところでコナンがベランダに行くと、変声機だけが残る 
古栗は妹の墓前に報告するまで捕まるわけにいかない、と 
ベランダから隣の部屋に飛び移る 
その先には"領域外"、古栗は瞬殺される(意識を失っただけで生きてはいる) 
世良「ママ!?」 
コナン(ママ… だと?) 

堀田は「浅香」が女だと知り 
羽田浩司の霊がが「女に殺されるー!」と叫ぶふうを装いたかったようだ 
という程度の情報しかなかった、と世良は"領域外"に報告 
"領域外"は「江戸川コナンに気を許すな…」と、その日のうちに転居 

その夜コナンは、ラムの正体についていろいろ考えていた 
スマホに写っていた"領域外"、この女は何者なのか…!? 

一方、ジンたちも堀田の死を知る 
ラムがし損なった事件はどうでもいいが、「眠りの小五郎」がまた絡んでるのを懸念 
■(!)わかったこと…①抜群の推理力②シークレットサービス並の格闘術③世良が「ママ」と呼んでいる…!? …次号新章!!

• Upvote 2

So now we know that Asaka is a woman

I'd say that's up in the air for now... given Hotta isn't exactly a reliable source.

However if Asaka = Rum like Conan thinks, and is a woman, Gosho would finally be breaking the pattern he's used up until this point. There's nothing saying he can't break the mold. It's never been established as canon, just fan speculation... That being said given the consistency, I'd find this to be a little suspect at this point.

I still think Rum will be man.

• Upvote 1

Well.. i don't know how to reply to a post  ._.

I also think that rum is a man.

We know from the manga that rum is predicted to be someone with a broken eye because of accident.
And also aoyama said that rum had ever appeared before but i cant remember if there was a woman with a broken eye.

or maybe im mistaken?  ._.

I'd say that's up in the air for now... given Hotta isn't exactly a reliable source.

However if Asaka = Rum like Conan thinks, and is a woman, Gosho would finally be breaking the pattern he's used up until this point. There's nothing saying he can't break the mold. It's never been established as canon, just fan speculation... That being said given the consistency, I'd find this to be a little suspect at this point.

I still think Rum will be man.

*Agrees with everything Heliotropic said*

I think we can take Sera's outburst as confirmation that Mary is momma Akai. I just wonder if Shuu knows though. Conan needs to have a interrogation over stew with Okiya. It seems that Conan lost momma Akai's trust for being careless with the bowtie. Or maybe she was just nervous because the gadget was pretty elite and that freaked her out a bit.

On today's episode of Annoyed Gin gives a short comment on recent plot developments while Vodka drives him around for fun, it doesn't seem like anything very valuable came out of it. Gin bitches about people when they are not around like usual, and the revelation that Haneda Kouji's death connects to a mistake Rum made is not surprising. If anything, I think this explains how Kogoro has avoided more trouble so far. A unneeded celebrity death is not something the BO wants because it can't be kept down and the info barrel keeps springing leaks even decades after the fact. I'd be curious to know if Gin is willing to pressure Amuro for more info on Kogoro, assuming he even knows where Amuro is.

Probably the MIB's cameo was mostly for movie hype. If we are lucky we will get more in depth stuff next chapter, but I suspect it will be another case where Conan spends the first part of chap 1 and the last part of chap 3 mulling over Sera's outburst and trying to put two and two together about Haibara's appearance.

I wish Gosho would show the BO doing other things rather than just driving. Hanging out in a hideout, gun maintenance, drinking, observing deliveries, doing stakeouts, even just walking. Vermouth gets some variety, mostly to take advantage of her sex appeal, but none of the others do. It would be nice if there were some successful crimes to remind us the BO aren't totally incompetent.

• Upvote 2

Agreed, Chek. i'm sick of that too. Also, the fact that the SECOND IN COMMAND supposedly made such a mistake isn't very telling for how he's supposedly more dangerous than Gin. i have no real faith in this arc, tbh. Oh, well. Back to the ficverse.

I doubt that Rum is a woman. And the message could have a lot of different meanings beside ASAKA=RUM. It could mean ASAKA & RUM as in that they are two people working together for the same organization. So maybe Asaka helped Rum getting into Amanda's room.

About the drug that shrunk Shinichi and Haibara. If Mary is the Akai mother, who is shruked by the drug and is related to Haibara then perhaps the reason they shrunked instead of dying could be some sort for a rare genetic trait in their family, that also Shinichi's family had.

I guess that the BO decided to get rid of the Akai father and his wife, maybe because of the father's involment in investigating the deaths of Kohji Haneda and Amanda Hudges, and used the drug on them both, and while it killed the father, the mother only got shrunked.

*Agrees with everything Heliotropic said*

I think we can take Sera's outburst as confirmation that Mary is momma Akai. I just wonder if Shuu knows though. Conan needs to have a interrogation over stew with Okiya. It seems that Conan lost momma Akai's trust for being careless with the bowtie. Or maybe she was just nervous because the gadget was pretty elite and that freaked her out a bit.

On today's episode of Annoyed Gin gives a short comment on recent plot developments while Vodka drives him around for fun, it doesn't seem like anything very valuable came out of it. Gin bitches about people when they are not around like usual, and the revelation that Haneda Kouji's death connects to a mistake Rum made is not surprising. If anything, I think this explains how Kogoro has avoided more trouble so far. A unneeded celebrity death is not something the BO wants because it can't be kept down and the info barrel keeps springing leaks even decades after the fact. I'd be curious to know if Gin is willing to pressure Amuro for more info on Kogoro, assuming he even knows where Amuro is.

Probably the MIB's cameo was mostly for movie hype. If we are lucky we will get more in depth stuff next chapter, but I suspect it will be another case where Conan spends the first part of chap 1 and the last part of chap 3 mulling over Sera's outburst and trying to put two and two together about Haibara's appearance.

I wish Gosho would show the BO doing other things rather than just driving. Hanging out in a hideout, gun maintenance, drinking, observing deliveries, doing stakeouts, even just walking. Vermouth gets some variety, mostly to take advantage of her sex appeal, but none of the others do. It would be nice if there were some successful crimes to remind us the BO aren't totally incompetent.

It does give away the feeling that gin is here now mostly for recap stuff

also i did not like sera recapin in the second file, we have the first

haaaaa. kvotas

• Upvote 1

hard to believe a kid knocked him cold, but ok
my thoughts on the distrust are that she thinks that for some reason he will put his priorities above theirs or that after that Mori D.A. hostage hold up she thinks that he does not have what it takes to fight the BO

Interestingly enough, Rum had a small mirror with a handle for whatever reason. It's not Kohji's dying message mascara mirror; that one has a flip cover and no handle. Two mystery mirrors, I wonder why?

• Upvote 1

Interestingly enough, Rum had a small mirror with a handle for whatever reason. It's not Kohji's dying message mascara mirror; that one has a flip cover and no handle. Two mystery mirrors, I wonder why?

Can you tell me how you found out about the other mirror Rum has? Is this in a chapter that I missed or this from the Japanese manga? Thanks.

Can you tell me how you found out about the other mirror Rum has? Is this in a chapter that I missed or this from the Japanese manga? Thanks.

It was said in the current chapter 953.

Ah, I just figured out what that mirror is for!

It's the reason Hotta Gaito thought Rum was female. The mirror is an accidental feminine prop like in Sato's Omiai case in the Vermouth arc, there was a male suspect who wore his watch on the inside of his wrist and misled someone into thinking he was a woman that way. If you saw someone ambiguous holding a cute little hand mirror, your brain would go to girl.

Or Rum is a sailor scout. That would explain it too.
Submarine_Refection.png

But seriously, I think I have Gosho's plan figured out now. We are going to have 3 Rum cases. Rum Case #1 is stars girly Rum. Next case we run into with Rum, maybe another flashback, a witness is going to come out and have a completely different idea, like he's a geezer. Then case 3, strong dude.

• Upvote 1

Ah, I just figured out what that mirror is for!

It's the reason Hotta Gaito thought Rum was female. The mirror is an accidental feminine prop like in Sato's Omiai case in the Vermouth arc, there was a male suspect who wore his watch on the inside of his wrist and misled someone into thinking he was a woman that way. If you saw someone ambiguous holding a cute little hand mirror, your brain would go to girl.

Or Rum is a sailor scout. That would explain it too.

Submarine_Refection.png

But seriously, I think I have Gosho's plan figured out now. We are going to have 3 Rum cases. Rum Case #1 is stars girly Rum. Next case we run into with Rum, maybe another flashback, a witness is going to come out and have a completely different idea, like he's a geezer. Then case 3, strong dude.

If so, then the 3 cases would portray three features of Rum; 1. He possess a mirror that would mislead a person into thinking Rum is female (maybe he cares about how he looks). 2. Something or some item associated with an elderly manners (kind of reminds me of a case where Shinichi tells Yuusaku how he figured his father's disguise due to Yuusaku's mistake of not acting like an elder where he would pretend to be strong instead of standing like an elder) . 3. Strong character (inner strength) or maybe some special skills or both.

Also I didn't check if anyone remarked this yet, but also if you rearrange MASCARA U - you can also get CARASUMA as in KARASUMA RENYA, or MURASAKA although I remember no such name used for any character but similar names such as Murasawa etc..

• Upvote 1

Posted on the wiki in response the confirmation that there was probably a slight mistranslation in the early spoilers --> mirror with handle is really "hand mirror" and probably refers to Kohji's

I can see how hand (hando) and handle (handoru) might have been confusing to rapid translators, just one letter difference if was spelled out in foreign sounds furigana. If it is the same mirror, that raises even more questions than two separate mirrors. We already know the case is weird because Kohji managed to have the time to turn on a sink, grab scissors, and then cut a mirror to leave a dying message (not to mention how he overheard some conversation about Asaka and Rum). If Kohji was in a similar situation to the victim from the latest cut glass case, then he must have known death was coming, so I guess he was cornered and knew it.

The new issues that arise is how Asaka got that mirror after someone else went to Kohji's room and had time to look over and photograph the crime scene. It could have been Asaka's mirror to begin with (so he was seen with it before the crime), but Haibara seemed to think is was Haneda's, keeping in mind that Elena nee Sera had one of those mirrors also and that the Hanedas and Seras seem to be close. I assume Asaka took the mirror in order to hide the dying message, and he was seen with it fleeing. For the photos to exist and Kohji to leave a message, Asaka must have lost control of the situation somehow. Was he distracted, or people forced their way in, or he was forced away from the scene? All I can think of is that this may be the situation that cost Rum his eye (assuming he is Asaka). Kohji inflicted the wound in desperation and bought himself some time to leave a message.