Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 951-953: Soul Detective

RULES

1. Please use spoiler boxes until a full English translation is available.

2. NO DIRECT LINK to any Japanese scans (RAWs) or English scans (Japanese spoiler images are allowed as long as the amount and quality of which are very far away from a full scan).

HOW TO USE A SPOILER BOX?

Just simply type the following:

[spoiler]Text you want to write[/spoiler]

Or more manually:

Step 1: Click the "Special BBCode" icon at the upper-left side of the edit toolbar.
Untitled-1_zps5a0dae75.png

Step 2: In BBCode, select "Spoiler".
Spoiler_zpsc5764e29.jpg

Step 3: Enter the text that you want to put inside Spoiler boxes, then click OK.

Text_zps4958fb14.jpg

File 951 text spoilers: http://nozomi.2ch.sc/test/read.cgi/ymag/1456397755/506

Initial translations by Valentin (DCTP):

“As far as ASACA=RUM is concerned, Conan’s deductions are correct; but beyond that, there is no information. What is Asaka’s full name? What about the poison that Haneda Kouji drank?” Now paraphrasing: On the way back to the Mouri Detective Agency, Conan thinks about Gin claiming that the poison had never been given to humans; when he tries to visit the website about the case with his smartphone, he discovers that it has been deleted.

Kogorou has received an offer on the phone to appear in a television show. He talks to the soul detective, a guy named Hotta, about the solution of Haneda Kouji’s case. Youko Okino is there as well.

While Hotta and Kogorou talk about the case, Conan burns quietly and wants to reveal RUM’s identity. They arrange to meet in a hotel, Hotta dies, Sera suddenly comes out of the adjacent room.

• Upvote 2

File 951: Soul Detective

According to Conan's deduction Haneda Kouji was killed by "Asaka = RUM" but he's got no further info.

Is "Asaka" a full name or not? What's the drug that Kouji was fed?

Haibara, who ressurected the project, said that she didn't consider it a poison.

And, also, when Gin forced Conan to swallow it Gin muttered something like it was a prototype that hadn't been tested in humans yet...

Conan, having his head filled with that, goes back to the Mouri Detective Agency and tries to check up the Kouji case site with the phone but the site's been deleted.

Kogoro has accepted an offer by phone to make a guest apperance at a new TV show: there he will hold a talk with the "Soul Detective Hotta Gaito" and try to solve the Kouji case.

This show's a late night 1st corner show but if it gets good ratings it might ascend to golden time with Okino Yoko as Master of Ceremonies. Once Kogoro hears that he agrees to take part without caring it it's 1st corner or 2nd corner: Conan's also interested in the Kouji case so he sticks along.

Hotta claims that the solves cases by calling up the souls of the dead. It'd seem that some skeleton found in the mountains was, coincidentally, someone else. Kogoro warns that once his pre-investigation and his set-ups are exposed then the media will be ruthless on him but Conan thinks that there's something, some reason why this shady character has showed up. He inwardly thinks that he will expose RUM's identity and silently burns.

Conan & Kogoro get to the hotel where the show will take place: the director, Furukumi, arrives late. They then head to Hatto's room. The director whispers that since Conan, a kid, is around then he can say the show is graphically safe (that is, it can be sold as a show for all ages). The director rings the bell of Hatto's door but he doesn't come out the room.

The director checks the emai: there was a mail by Hatto about 1 hour before that says "I'm gonna get killed. Help me!". They go call for a hotel boy but they take up a lot of time and effort to explain what's going on to the boy. Just before the boy opens the door the director gets a call but it was a prank call.

The door gets opened and the sound of a wine glass shattering rings out. There are footprints that someone's stepped into spilled wine. Kogoro chases those but the owner of those runs to the room next door through the balcony.

Once they ask the boy who's in the room next door he answers it's a boy about high school age. The floor below's being refurbished so the price of the rooms on that area has been lowered. They check out the bed and found Hatto, already dead.

Kogorou orders the director and the boy to stay behind to do a pincer attack and goes to check the room next door with Conan.

Sera comes out of the room, and deeper inside there's...

Side-note: "The room next door under suspcion: is the sister outside the domain in there?"
  • Upvote 4

What we're SUPPOSED to be thinking is, "Did MASUMI kill him!?" Perhaps she was lured in there by the murderer to take the fall. The murderer is probably staying in one of the rooms in the floor below. Conversely, the murderer could've gone to the balcony of Masumi's (and Mary's?... the spoilers seem to be ambiguous about this point) room to plant suspicion before dropping down to their room on the floor below.

As for the site with the details about Koji's death, either the Organization or the person who put it up took it down.

I'd say the murderer isn't from the BO—this isn't the first time it's seemed that the Organization did away with someone because they heard info about the BO (Mysterious Job; 553–555 and 464–465).

• Upvote 1

Yeah this seems to be like the computer guy's death who was killed by someone completely irrelevant, so not at all getting my hopes high for this one. However it does seem like MG would finally meet Conan, it should be about time for that to happen.

By the way I think the prime suspect of this case is the director, who probably killed him for completely irrelevant reasons.

Well at least those are my initial reactions to the spoilers :) I hope it turns out to be less obvious than that.

That's pretty much the best way Gosho could force Mary away from her comfort zone, by involving them in a murder case. Because Sera will now be investigated as a suspect, Mary has to properly(not truthfully ofc) introduce herself, while the police/Conan enters Sera's hotel room!

By the way I think the prime suspect of this case is the director, who probably killed him for completely irrelevant reasons.

If he was the only suspect in the File, then odds are high he's the murderer.

That's pretty much the best way Gosho could force Mary away from her comfort zone, by involving them in a murder case. Because Sera will now be investigated as a suspect, Mary has to properly(not truthfully ofc) introduce herself, while the police/Conan enters Sera's hotel room!

At the very least, Shinichi/Conan is finally going to come face to face with her, that's for sure.

I'm actually surprised it's just him and Kogoro on this one—it's been awhile since a case like that.

If he was the only suspect in the File, then odds are high he's the murderer.

Depends on how much Gosho wants to focus on the plot and how much on the case for this one I believe.

At the very least, Shinichi/Conan is finally going to come face to face with her, that's for sure.

I'm actually surprised it's just him and Kogoro on this one—it's been awhile since a case like that.

This part we can't be completely sure yet, there is always the possibility that Mary is not with her. Besides is this even the same hotel in which Sera lives? I suppose it's not been specified yet.

I believe if Gosho trolls us and Mary isn't actually there, then the case would probably have more suspects and not be too obvious, and if Mary is indeed there and comes out with a fake identity, then maybe Gosho might consider Sera and Conan to have the talk they were supposed to have in the swimming pool case. I doubt if Mary is revealed Sera would be able to make up excuses to not talk about her anyway, so in this case the murder case itself probably won't be all that important and as you pointed out it might have just one obvious suspect.

However, just how the computer programmer left some clues, I think even this guy might have left some clues about Houji's murder case as well that Conan and Sera might discover at the end of the case.

And yes indeed has been a while for Conan and Kogoro alone :) When was the last time anyway? Though I think even Sera would assist Conan on this one.

This part we can't be completely sure yet, there is always the possibility that Mary is not with her. Besides is this even the same hotel in which Sera lives? I suppose it's not been specified yet.

I believe if Gosho trolls us and Mary isn't actually there, then the case would probably have more suspects and not be too obvious, and if Mary is indeed there and comes out with a fake identity, then maybe Gosho might consider Sera and Conan to have the talk they were supposed to have in the swimming pool case. I doubt if Mary is revealed Sera would be able to make up excuses to not talk about her anyway, so in this case the murder case itself probably won't be all that important and as you pointed out it might have just one obvious suspect.

However, just how the computer programmer left some clues, I think even this guy might have left some clues about Houji's murder case as well that Conan and Sera might discover at the end of the case.

Maybe it's the Hyde Pride Hotel (in which case, if Mary's not there, then where is she?), or maybe they already moved.

The soul detective seems to be a fraud, but who says he can't find out something about Koji's murder that we don't know, yet? He may give us something to go on, by the end of this.

Hopefully, Gosho's postcard about Gin appearing "very soon" does not mean him appearing in Shinichi's/Conan's mind in 951 when he remembers Gin's comment about him being the first human the drug he had was going to be tested on. I wonder if this case will be just a 3-file one (probably, but who knows?), and if the next case will tie into this one.

Mary confirmed to appear: http://imgur.com/a/9BxmN (images from translation team)

This is a different hotel—the Hyde Pride Hotel Door from 903 didn't have anything to the left of it (when facing the hallway); Masumi opened Hyde Pride Hotel door with her left hand, and it opened to the left, while, here, she opens it with her right hand and it swings to the right.

Hopefully Gosho's postcard about Gin's appearance wasn't referring to Shinichi's/Conan's flashback, here.

Mary definitely looks like Shiho/Ai, here—she's giving a similar look, certainly. Her surroundings, if she's in the room, also indicate this is a different hotel.

Chinese 951:

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4398105809

http://imgur.com/a/tLiSH

Some translations by presumenothing and me:

Page 2: Conan (thinking) "RUM..." "Just as I deduced, the criminal who murdered Haneda Kouji 17 years ago..." "Is the bodyguard who disappeared from the scene, the person named 'Asaka'..." "Whose real identity is RUM, the No. 2 of the Black Organisation..." "This was also known from the dying message Haneda Kouji left behind..."

"But there's no further information beyond that..." "What exactly is 'Asaka', a surname? Or a given name?" "If it's a surname, then wouldn't that mean we can't even know the gender..." "And what exactly was the drug that Haneda Kouji took?" "It seems to have been made by Haibara's parents..." "But Haibara wanted to resurrect this drug, and even said she 'hadn't been planning to make any poison'..."

Page 3: Conan (thinking) "And when he gave me that drug, Gin muttered something like this too, didn't he?" Gin (flashback) "This drug hasn't undergone human testing yet, it's apparently a prototype..." Conan (thinking) "––That is to say, the drug I was given back then was the duplicate made by Haibara, and I was the first person to take it..."

Conan then decides he needs to get more information, but the website about the case was deleted and hasn't been uploaded for a while afterwards

Page 6: Conan suspects that Hotta has discovered something about Kouji's case which nobody knows about, that's why he specifically picked that case as the subject. He wants to ask Hotta about his discovery hoping to learn more about Rum (but never has the chance to, for obvious reason).

• Upvote 3

This is a case where I am 100% going to panel by panel examine every single suspect, minor recurring, and background character expecting disguises. (Unexpected gloves, slippery glue fingers, pin cameras...) You all should too. After all, someone has just publicly announced that they are dragging a hugely famous detective who already has a rap for getting involved in BO cases (Gin almost got him killed for it), into an old BO case where one of their most important members' names showed up in a dying message. That's the sort of thing that should get the boss's or Rum's CYA attention. So why not send Vermouth to check it out? Rum himself might even appear, and given the primary suspect Asaka's androgynous appearance, they could absolutely pull off a disguise of either gender. I have been wondering since the last chapter why Gosho would choose that sort of design for Rum's character, rather than something more imposing. You'd think Gosho might have chosen a big manly face for the second to the boss to contrast with Gin and not an adult Eisuke. It's possible that Rum's appearance is a prerequisite for certain skills, like disguise.

Also seriously, is the Black Organization going around and deleting these websites? Like, has Rum actually assigned a flunky to troll the web and hack/DMCA one every time it appears? Do they hit the internet archive and google's cache's too? If they are the ones' deleting it, does that mean they figured out the dying message? I suppose the boss would be smart enough to.

If Conan knew these sites kept disappearing, wouldn't he download a copy? Or go look at the cache on his phone or on Agasa's computer? Why would he even keep visiting it more than once when it would be a risk that the BO injected a tracker and is scraping IPs? I think Gosho's age is showing here honestly.

Also it looks like Conan has deduced silver bullet or something like it must exist.

About the case itself, the one suspect pushing the elevator button with the hand holding the bulky camcorder is odd. That's a great way to damage a camcorder and isn't respectful towards the equipment. Also this case looks like it is a bunch of door activated traps used to make an alibi. Strings ahoy.

• Upvote 1

Great ideas as usual, Chek! That actually DOES make sense for an important member such as Rum, and it also fits in with Gosho's misdirection habits, where he would be able to frequently get into deep cover situations by disguising himself as a woman.

This is a case where I am 100% going to panel by panel examine every single suspect, minor recurring, and background character expecting disguises. (Unexpected gloves, slippery glue fingers, pin cameras...) You all should too. After all, someone has just publicly announced that they are dragging a hugely famous detective who already has a rap for getting involved in BO cases (Gin almost got him killed for it), into an old BO case where one of their most important members' names showed up in a dying message. That's the sort of thing that should get the boss's or Rum's CYA attention. So why not send Vermouth to check it out? Rum himself might even appear, and given the primary suspect Asaka's androgynous appearance, they could absolutely pull off a disguise of either gender. I have been wondering since the last chapter why Gosho would choose that sort of design for Rum's character, rather than something more imposing. You'd think Gosho might have chosen a big manly face for the second to the boss to contrast with Gin and not an adult Eisuke. It's possible that Rum's appearance is a prerequisite for certain skills, like disguise.

Actually, I don't think they have publicly announced that Kogoro will participate yet. They only called him in this file and Kogoro wasn't even interested at first, the only reason he accepted was because of Yoko.

Actually, I don't think they have publicly announced that Kogoro will participate yet. They only called him in this file and Kogoro wasn't even interested at first, the only reason he accepted was because of Yoko.

Right, but that means it still went through the showbiz outlets which the BO seems to be all over.

• Upvote 1

...someone has just publicly announced that they are dragging a hugely famous detective who already has a rap for getting involved in BO cases (Gin almost got him killed for it), into an old BO case where one of their most important members' names showed up in a dying message.

That's the sort of thing that should get the boss's or Rum's CYA attention. So why not send Vermouth to check it out? Rum himself might even appear, and given the primary suspect Asaka's androgynous appearance, they could absolutely pull off a disguise of either gender. I have been wondering since the last chapter why Gosho would choose that sort of design for Rum's character, rather than something more imposing. You'd think Gosho might have chosen a big manly face for the second to the boss to contrast with Gin and not an adult Eisuke. It's possible that Rum's appearance is a prerequisite for certain skills, like disguise.

Also seriously, is the Black Organization going around and deleting these websites? Like, has Rum actually assigned a flunky to troll the web and hack/DMCA one every time it appears? Do they hit the internet archive and google's cache's too? If they are the ones' deleting it, does that mean they figured out the dying message? I suppose the boss would be smart enough to.

If Conan knew these sites kept disappearing, wouldn't he download a copy? Or go look at the cache on his phone or on Agasa's computer? Why would he even keep visiting it more than once when it would be a risk that the BO injected a tracker and is scraping IPs? I think Gosho's age is showing here honestly.

Also it looks like Conan has deduced silver bullet or something like it must exist.

About the case itself, the one suspect pushing the elevator button with the hand holding the bulky camcorder is odd. That's a great way to damage a camcorder and isn't respectful towards the equipment. Also this case looks like it is a bunch of door activated traps used to make an alibi. Strings ahoy.

That comment by Gin in 504/425, how he didn't think Kogoro was completely innocent? Another dangling plot thread that screams, "this needs a resolution!"

Here's a question I have about Asuka...

fsBNGKB.jpg

Is that his hair, or something simply behind him? If it's hair, then Takaya Mifune (Introduced in the Heiress Murder Case (87–91; 39–40—last appeared in Black Star (156–159; 76)) is who I immediately think of. If not, then it becomes a bit more difficult. 

The alternative to BO takedown is that the one who posted it keeps taking it down. We've yet to find out who the poster is. Koji's murder is 17-year-old one—now that's a cold case—who knows to what extent the BO is monitoring internet traffic about him, all this time later?

If a drug that wasn't the one Shiho/Ai was used on Koji—if he was the first one to ingest it, at least by Gin's knowledge—and he ended up on that list, then wondering about what the parents did before the daughter is a natural step. Were the Miyanos still alive when Koji was murdered? All we know about when is "just after I (Shiho/Ai) was born." It could've been a full year between year birth and that fire that seemingly was the death of her parents.

Gaito was already dead by the time Shinichi/Conan and Kogoro came in. The one who came into the room, shattered the plates and glasses and then escaped from the balcony, is not the murderer, I think. Rather, they came in to look for something. Either that, or it's a trick, set up by the murderer to make it look like he was killed around the time they entered (strings, indeed, or some other kind of trigger). Right now, the TV director is the only suspect. In 952, we'll be introduced to two residents of the floor below, which is being refurbished, who'll be the other suspects.

Wow this is turning out to be more interesting than I expected :D

I feel a little uncomfortable about the cab driver, any opinions on that? I know it is true that it is very unlikely he would be related in any way, but just seems strange, like why show him in the first place? And those shiny glasses seem like something might be up with him, or maybe they were just too lazy to draw a full face.

Btw this is like the fourth time a person related to BO that Conan might have got some info from is killed by someone completely unrelated? First one was Tequila, second one was the guy in Haibara's intro case, and third was the computer programmer guy.

Hopefully Gin will actually appear in person soon, I have a feeling we are getting deeper into the RUM and Silver Bullet plot, MG probably has some info on both of them.

Gaito was already dead by the time Shinichi/Conan and Kogoro came in. The one who came into the room, shattered the plates and glasses and then escaped from the balcony, is not the murderer, I think. Rather, they came in to look for something. Either that, or it's a trick, set up by the murderer to make it look like he was killed around the time they entered (strings, indeed, or some other kind of trigger). Right now, the TV director is the only suspect. In 952, we'll be introduced to two residents of the floor below, which is being refurbished, who'll be the other suspects.

Door Stuff

Very very clearly door activated traps 

j7LrtuQ.jpg

EDIT:

Also

Just make sure everyone notices the bottle of alcohol near the edge of the table, its important.

HbFDXpb.jpg

Door Stuff

Very very clearly door activated traps 

j7LrtuQ.jpg

EDIT:

Also

Just make sure everyone notices the bottle of alcohol near the edge of the table, its important.

Ah, hidden in plain sight, huh?

The second image isn't showing up (alcohol bottle), by the way.

Ah, hidden in plain sight, huh?

The second image isn't showing up (alcohol bottle), by the way.

I didn't put a second image, but I can add one

HbFDXpb.jpg

Now that Conan has realised that he was the first subject on whom the drug was administered, could this mean that the person who grouped the names on the list knew about the existence of the drug that Shiho's parents made and that it had the potential to kill ppl... And the fact that they continued to try to make the same drug again means that the drug had shown some signs of actually fulfilling its true purpose. Meaning someone (Shiho's parents most likely) destroyed the info on the drug on purpose to hide it from BO.