Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Korchels-Orchid

Introducing Friends to DC <3 Plz Help

Okay, I've been a huge fan of DC for a long time, finished the entire series in a few weeks and the movies and ovas etc. And now I'm trying to get my friends into DC. But, DC is just a tad bit longer than most other anime. This is where my problem starts; How do I successfully get my friends addicted to DC, or even just start watching it? They have listen in on me rant about the art style, the characters, the fillers, the art style, etc. Only, once I attempted to introduce it to them, I realized I had never even once said anything positive about it, even through, it's, you know... DC? and it's practically made up of epicness. My plan is to a) give them a slimmed down list of episodes to watch, B) introduce it through an AMV that shows all the epicness, or c) strapping them to a chair with their eyes taped open and forcing them to watch the entire series. Now, there are problems with all of these; if I give them a slimmed down version they aren't going to get the full DC experience, even if they go back and watch all of the episodes again. If I introduce it through an AMV there are possibilities for spoilers, and experiencing the better art style would make it hard to look at the 1996 animation. (I haven't really found one that's even semi acceptable yet.) If I force them to watch it, well, who routinely has about 5 weeks of free time in their schedule? I mean at least one person would notice their absence. And if I had to repeat it with all of my fellow anime nuts, well... Nuh uh too risky. Well, thanks for reading all that (if you actually did, I tend to ramble) I have come to this marvelous forum in hope of enlisting aid in my plight, aka; locating a suitable AMV for me, compiling a slimmed down list that somehow doesn't take away from the marvelousness of DC, or helping me kidn- *ahem* make them watch the entire DC series. Come on. I really need help here. Someone? Anyone? plz help~

I think there are a couple ways to go about this, but ultimately, you can't really force anyone to get into it if they don't want to.

I think Detective Conan, at least, can resonate quite well with people in general, so it's not hard to get into, but the episodic nature of the series, even if you just stick by the manga/plot, is a pretty big turn off for some, not to mention the length... I think the series in particular really picks up around Haibara's entrance and peaks around the end of the Vermouth arc. I don't think it'd take too long to watch up until that point if you follow a list... since there is even more "filler" early on. If people don't have an interest in the cases themselves though, I think that's a pretty big indicator that they won't like it.

The very beginning of the series has some nice set-up and is fast paced too, so it's not going to be much of a mystery of whether or not your friends will like it or not, especially as it only gets better from there, at least to a certain point...

You could use this list, as I think it covers everything essential, without omitting anything important: http://www.xerblade.com/p/detective-conan-important-episode-list.html

In regards to animation style, it could go either way. DC has a rather "dated" art-style, but personally, I prefer the old animation that existed in the early 2000s the most. It still has that "old" style to some extent in the newer episodes though, and I don't think people will be too bothered from the transition. It's just something you kind of have to expect given the series is over 20 years old.

I'm not really sure about the AMVs, as I don't really know if that would be a good way to really capture the series in the first place. It's something that mostly appeals to mystery lovers, so I think the best way for people to get into it is just to watch it themselves, starting from the beginning of course...

Hope this helps! Take care, and enjoy yourself on DCW!

Thank you for your advice! The list you linked to looks good, it even gives descriptions as to why they are important, and when you should watch the movies. I wish I had found this sooner instead of watching them all halfway through the series and cringing at spoilers.

I have never though about how the series picked up after Haibara's introduction, but now that you've pointed it out, I can see your right. And as for the animation style, I prefer the animation around 2007, or 450's something about the coloring and the way the characters looked was very nice, I wish they hadn't changed...

The AMV does pose a problem, but I still hope it could work because I have sooo many I occasionally rewatch on youtube, they always show it in such a nice way that either makes you cry, or keeps you eyes glued to the screen, which is kind of how DC is for me. I still hope I can find one that meets my criteria.

Thanks again.

Btw, I love your pic. Komei~ Can't wait for the upcoming episodes where he'll make an appearance along with Kansuke!

The AMV does pose a problem, but I still hope it could work because I have sooo many I occasionally rewatch on youtube, they always show it in such a nice way that either makes you cry, or keeps you eyes glued to the screen, which is kind of how DC is for me. I still hope I can find one that meets my criteria.

Thanks again.

Btw, I love your pic. Komei~ Can't wait for the upcoming episodes where he'll make an appearance along with Kansuke!

I'm definitely looking forward to the Kawanakajima case. It was my favorite case in the manga last year, so I'm hoping the anime doesn't botch it. I also really like the sound of Kuroda's VA, so I'm looking forward to his debut!

I don't think your AMV idea is necessarily a bad one, but it would be difficult to really convey what DC is like, especially to a newcomer, and they tend to have quite a few spoilers. Either way, best of luck with that one!