Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 948–950: The Clenched Scissors

Has anyone considered the possibility that Haneda Kohji, not Asaca, was Amanda's killer? I have a feeling that Amanda may have been cooperating with the BO (at least in her final years) and hence why she hired Asaca (and Asaca agreed) to become her bodyguard. I can't think of any other reason as to why Amanda would hire Asaca, since she must have had very close links with the BO in order to even be in a position to see Asaca in the first place.

It's probably not even a real name. If it is a woman, then I don't know about which recurring character she could be... well, except for the possibility of being Vermouth, of course.

Regardless of whether or not it is an alias, I'm pretty sure we can still have a good guess on Asaka's gender given that it's in Japanese format. Unless it's someone in disguise...again.

Regardless of whether it is a fake name or not, "Asaka" could be either a given name or a family name. 

If it is a given name, then the person would be female, because its a female given name

however if its a family name then the person could be either male or female. 

In the Japanese file the name "Asaka" is written in quotes each time it shows up in 948

with the exception of where its written on the computer screen. 

There is no way to actually tell whether its the given or family name of the person at this point

because we don't know what Amanda would have known about the person

In Japan it would be more likely to call the person by their family name,

but in America sometimes employers can get away with calling the people they employ by their given names

additionally, since Gosho watches a lot of movies, he may be going with the employer giving the bodyguard a nickname

You often see in movies where guards have funny (or even ironic) nicknames based on their attributes

http://blog-imgs-86.fc2.com/n/a/g/nagarebosihosihosi/016.jpg  「浅香」

http://blog-imgs-86.fc2.com/n/a/g/nagarebosihosihosi/002.jpg 「浅香」 and 浅香

It appears that「浅」means light or shallow or it could also mean disgraceful as in 浅ましい (Asamashii).

「香」basically means scent or fragrance as in 香り... Not sure where I'm going with this but given the meaning of his/her name, I think Asaka is probably not a nickname given by Amanda but it still depends on her knowledge of the language, noting that she's most likely non-Japanese who is a fan Kohji Haneda either through chess or shogi.

Omg so much has happened in the past few weeks! Let's hope movie 20 sheds more light on the subject :) Though 99% it will be completely non-canon.

Could anyone please tell me which file did these developments start? 947?

I wish I catch up by end of this week :)

Could anyone please tell me which file did these developments start? 947?

I wish I catch up by end of this week :)

Depends on where you left off 

Being a bit vague intentionally 

945 - Deveolpment on Yumi x Shuukichi

946 - Case discussion

947 - more Development and intro of "Haneda Koji"

948 - learning a little about Koji's final day + Okiya + similar circumstances case

949 - Case discussion

950 - Case solution and further look into Koji's final day

Break during week of Feb 29th

I have two contrasting theories:

The message Kouji left may be for Asaca, telling him/her about the one responsible for his death...

The murder is committed by Asaca, and Rum is the one who left the message for Asaca, warning him/her by saying, "I, Rum am the one who killed Kouji, you are next..."

XD highly unlikely theory this one though

There's still another question that's left unanswered - Why would BO, who is so meticulous and RUM (who is most probably the one responsible for Kouji's death is the second most important member) should have understood the code, or at least should have destroyed it. The rooms being shabby, too many clues left unattended to, and the fact that someone is safely able to upload information regarding the case without being targeted by BO....This murder may not be committed by BO at all or may be staged by BO to pass the blame to someone 

File 950 baidu

File 950 imgur

It does look like Akai's new car is a Mustang, so I guess it's not just limited to the movies. I'm also curious to see what Camel's role in all of this was... It just seems a bit out of place at the moment. Maybe we'll find out next case, since it seems like it'll be following this one up and not going off on a tangent.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone considered the possibility that Haneda Kohji, not Asaca, was Amanda's killer? I have a feeling that Amanda may have been cooperating with the BO (at least in her final years) and hence why she hired Asaca (and Asaca agreed) to become her bodyguard. I can't think of any other reason as to why Amanda would hire Asaca, since she must have had very close links with the BO in order to even be in a position to see Asaca in the first place.

I don't know about that theory, but I think there is more to the Kohji case since both sets of rooms were left in disarray -- something Haibara explicitly notes as not the BO's modus. Kohji even had time to leave a fairly elaborate dying message (breaking the mirror properly) even though APTX 4869 appears to be extraordinarily crippling very quickly. Yet if Rum is number two we should expect him to know how to play by the book right? Or did someone else rip through the rooms after the assassinations? Between this and Kuroda's oddly elaborate backstory and Akai's father's death, it seems there is a lot of set-up going on without answers yet.

Rum looks like a lighter-skinned Takuya Mifune. I still think Rum is male per the codename rule.

I like how Akai just opened his eye casually in front of the police, makes me think if he actually did it before and we're just seeing it now. And that last part was just hype.

There have been almost no instances of scary shiny glasses since the reveal. Akai opening his eyes is what the glasses were hiding previously. /two cents

• Upvote 2

Finally I'm caught up! Awesome!

Wow I love it when Okiya and Conan work together, I like Okiya even more than Akai(even though they are the same lol)... guess because Okiya has always had this mystery factor to him. Nice last panel, looked very cool :)

And as usual Gosho trolled us :P He made them realize the code and hurry back to their homes so that they don't discuss what they said they would after the case ends, keep it up Gosho! :D

My opinion: I don't think  Asaka is Rum, I highly doubt the #2 of BO would work as a body guard. Also as is obvious I also have suspicions about why the crime scenes were so messy since we suppose the BO did it. And of course there is this suspicious guy uploading information without the BO raising an eyebrow.

Assuming the guy is close to Koji, who could he/she be then? Oh and not to forget Akai's mention of his dad, so his dad wasn't in the FBI, so what on earth? 

I have a kind of semi-theory, what do you think about the Akai parents being ex-BO members, and maybe even Koji being one of them? Obviously we know even celebrities like Koji could be members since Vermouth is also a celebrity. It would also make sense since Akai's supposed aunt was Elena, though I admit this theory is highly unlikely.

PS: Could Asaka still be alive and be the one who uploads info? She could have been framed after all. I think a reason to that could be that we "remove" ASACA from the code to get RUM, the apparent reason is that Asaka is rum, but another way to look at it is that the message says "Asaka was framed, it was RUM".

I really hope Conan and Akai talk more about this stuff soon :D

• Like 1

Koji's death was 17 years ago, maybe Rum had got himself promoted to number #2 or something during all these years.

But if Asaka is Rum, do you think that FBI would take contact to Amanda's relatives and friends to see if they knew is Asaka had a fake eye or something like that back then? 

Asaka must be Rum, See page 15 "ASACA" Asaka at bottom of Akai's tablet, or it might be the red-herring as well. In Japanese K & C are interchangeable since they sound just the same, Asaka could be written in katakana as アサカ which in turn can be romanized as ASACA, BTW since Aoyama-sensei is a old-school mecha fan, & considering his usual character naming pattern (GUNDAM), ASAKA / ASACA might be derived from Asuka Langley (EVANGELION) 

Asaka must be Rum, See page 15 "ASACA" Asaka at bottom of Akai's tablet, or it might be the red-herring as well. In Japanese K & C are interchangeable since they sound just the same, Asaka could be written in katakana as アサカ which in turn can be romanized as ASACA, BTW since Aoyama-sensei is a old-school mecha fan, & considering his usual character naming pattern (GUNDAM), ASAKA / ASACA might be derived from Asuka Langley (EVANGELION) 

That's literally the dying message though and not some hidden meaning, they are explaining exactly what you said with the C/K interchangeability. Doesn't mean that Asaka is Rum though; since you have to remove the letters for the name Asaka to get Rum, it might be a hint that Asaka is not Rum.

• Upvote 1

I just thought of an interesting theory. The one feature of Rum that we can almost fully confirm is his/her artificial eye. Perhaps it was during Asaca's struggle with Kohji that Asaca lost an eye? After all, Haneda was holding scissors in his palm, what if he used those scissors to cut his/her eye? That would also explain why the tap water was left on, as Asaca wanted to remove the blood stains, and it would also explain why the room was in such a messy state as Asaca was too concerned with their eye being injured to take care of the scene. However, one thing I am unable to explain is why Amanda's room was in a similar state too.

I just thought of an interesting theory. The one feature of Rum that we can almost fully confirm is his/her artificial eye. Perhaps it was during Asaca's struggle with Kohji that Asaca lost an eye? After all, Haneda was holding scissors in his palm, what if he used those scissors to cut his/her eye? That would also explain why the tap water was left on, as Asaca wanted to remove the blood stains, and it would also explain why the room was in such a messy state as Asaca was too concerned with their eye being injured to take care of the scene. However, one thing I am unable to explain is why Amanda's room was in a similar state too.

Amanda's room was fully intact, it being messed up too is a translation error in the English scan.

• Upvote 3

If Rum is number two we should expect him to know how to play by the book right? Or did someone else rip through the rooms after the assassinations? Between this and Kuroda's oddly elaborate backstory and Akai's father's death, it seems there is a lot of set-up going on without answers yet.

Depends if Asaka is Rum or not—and we also don't know if the one who first discovered Koji dead called the police or not, and, even if they did, whether or not they interfered with the room in some way.

It's by no means solid, but I can't help but think that post-coma Hyoue is really Shuichi's father.

Rum looks like a lighter-skinned Takuya Mifune. I still think Rum is male per the codename rule.

Asaka certainly does. But isn't it too early to conclude whether Asaka is Rum or not?

There have been almost no instances of scary shiny glasses since the reveal. Akai opening his eyes is what the glasses were hiding previously. /two cents

Those were my thoughts, as well.

• Upvote 2

I think it's a pretty neat theory, too bad we don't have enough information to back it up.

Amanda's room was fully intact, it being messed up too is a translation error in the English scan.

In that case, is there any indication of the taps in either room being left on in the Japanese version? I think that's an important piece of information that I'm unclear about.

There is. But by the dialogue alone, it's unclear which room's water was left on, as Conan didn't give us a name. Haibara's previous line right before that was mentioning Amanda's room though.

kS8KBZX.jpg

Speaking of which, we still don't have the answer for the person who shared all these information about Kohji's case on the Internet in the first place.