Detective Conan World
SamKel.

Does DC deserve to be known as the greatest anime ever?

I want to see if you guys believe that DC is the best anime in existence. I'd like to know your opinions and whether you think the show is underrated while stating why or why not.

Despite it being my favorite anime (I'm really not privy to very much), I wouldn't say so. That's a pretty big statement to declare it the "best anime in existence".

I certainly wouldn't call it "under-rated", not that it's over-rated either. It's absolutely massive over in Japan, which is more than enough for me. I do wish that it were more popular in the states, but there were several reasons why it failed.

I'd say that Detective Conan satisfies a certain "itch" I have as a whole, which has kept me attached to it for a very long time, and I still find the new cases interesting.

The quality of the anime isn't exactly great at the moment. Many of the anime original cases are flat out uninteresting, and I really prefer the older animation style. The show has long past its peak, and I definitely prefer the manga as a whole.

Having not watched much anime (mostly just what was on Adult Swim in the past), I can still say there are some that I've enjoyed almost as much as DC, if not more at some times. I love the Ghost in the Shell series, as one example. Having only seen about 10 or so all the way through, I really don't think I'm in a position to label anything as "the best in existence".

Narrowing it down to its genre, I might agree. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

God, no

Gosho is such a bad story teller, he out-dragged this thing for too long

many things look the same to me with a bit of a change in the mystery department

Heliotropic is correct to me by what he said

he had the right idea, but just didnt finish it the right way

Far from it. The title of "the best anime in existence" should go to an anime that you don't regret spending a single second on, and with the number of AOs and drawn out arcs, DC comes nowhere to meeting the criteria. (To be fair, I don't think any anime I've ever seen does, but there are some shows that come a lot closer to it.) I like DC for what it is and I'd still gush over some new plot development, movie, and et cetera (kid fan forever <3 <3), but "the best in existence"? That's a really big stretch.

I wouldn't put this in the greatest discussion. DC has had a lot of good moments, but it's way too drawn out. A lot of boring AOs, and similar to what Heliotropic said, I was a fan of the older animation style as well. The end of the anime involving the BO will only be watched by me simply because of the questions with conan's relationships, BO members, etc. I've been waiting for so long that it would take something special for me to be hype for it. 

Greatness is subjective. A large amount of people are never going to come to a consenus on what the undenible best thing in each respetive category is. But to answer the question at hand, I'm also going to go with 'no' Everything has flaws, and when something's drawn out over literally hundreds of episodes, there are subsequently going to be more flaws. And the length of DC can, and more than likely is, considered a flaw in and of itself. I'm not far enough along yet to have much more of an opinion, but I doubt my current opionion will change much 50, 100, or even 200 episodes down the line. DC's a nice show to pass the time, but that's all it really is to me. It's no where near the greatest in my opinion, but it's far from the worst.

Despite it being my favorite anime (I'm really not privy to very much), I wouldn't say so. That's a pretty big statement to declare it the "best anime in existence".

I certainly wouldn't call it "under-rated", not that it's over-rated either. It's absolutely massive over in Japan, which is more than enough for me. I do wish that it were more popular in the states, but there were several reasons why it failed.

I'd say that Detective Conan satisfies a certain "itch" I have as a whole, which has kept me attached to it for a very long time, and I still find the new cases interesting.

The quality of the anime isn't exactly great at the moment. Many of the anime original cases are flat out uninteresting, and I really prefer the older animation style. The show has long past its peak, and I definitely prefer the manga as a whole.

Having not watched much anime (mostly just what was on Adult Swim in the past), I can still say there are some that I've enjoyed almost as much as DC, if not more at some times. I love the Ghost in the Shell series, as one example. Having only seen about 10 or so all the way through, I really don't think I'm in a position to label anything as "the best in existence".

Narrowing it down to its genre, I might agree. 

I totally agree with you.

Despite being among my favourites, to declare it the greatest anime of all is a bit too much. Though there are many that love DC, we will not get everyone to agree with us.

I watch many good anime which forms part in my favourites but to call one as the greatest or best, it is not quite my cup of tea. Each anime has a category in a sense and think that though DC is my favourite among detective and mystery anime, I will not categorise it as the best anime ever. :)

It is my opinion though :D:P

I totally agree with you though ;)

Greatness is subjective. A large amount of people are never going to come to a consenus on what the undenible best thing in each respetive category is. But to answer the question at hand, I'm also going to go with 'no' Everything has flaws, and when something's drawn out over literally hundreds of episodes, there are subsequently going to be more flaws. And the length of DC can, and more than likely is, considered a flaw in and of itself. I'm not far enough along yet to have much more of an opinion, but I doubt my current opionion will change much 50, 100, or even 200 episodes down the line. DC's a nice show to pass the time, but that's all it really is to me. It's no where near the greatest in my opinion, but it's far from the worst.

I totally agree with you. Though some find DC too long, it is good to have many episodes to pass time on. I too think that it is very good to pass time though I think I love DC a little more than just passing time. As you said, there are many flaws in the anime, I agree with you. I,myself, saw a lot of points which does not make any sense but still continue to watch it. No anime is perfect but to say that DC is the best, I will answer 'no', despite being in my favourite anime list :)

I think Detective Conan is best in the Japanese manga detective mystery genre. I am defining the detective mystery genre as including 1) character(s) which are formally or informally detectives and 2) crime or other malfeasance that takes place under mysterious/non-straightforward circumstance that the detective(s) uncovers the truth behind using investigation and logic.

I think the biggest competitors for the title of best Japanese Detective Mystery are the Kindaichi series, Detective Academy Q, and Q.E.D. (Disclaimer: I haven't read all of the Det.myst. series out there, like Gosick) There are a few others that might also technically qualify like Ouroboros, Demonic Detective Nougami Neuro, and the manga adaptation of Higurashi When They Cry but I think they are lacking the key element of detective mystery genre excellence: Fairplay mysteries -- mysteries that are reliably and consistently solvable by readers of they pay attention and puzzle it out.

So out of the ones I mentioned above, I still think Detective Conan beats them out. Kindaichi is the weakest in my opinion with the flat characters being the number one problem, but it is also hurt by relatively low mystery variety, lack of a greater arc, and the mystery presentation style which involves way more panel hunting. Q.E.D. is a step up, similar to but better than Kindaichi. It also has much more variety. Detective Academy Q is my second favorite to DC, but I only know as far it has been translated. I like that there are a variety of detectives on a team, mysteries types, a greater arc. Conan does characters and mysteries better though and has better pacing within cases.

• Upvote 1

Kindaichi is the weakest in my opinion with the flat characters being the number one problem, but it is also hurt by relatively low mystery variety, lack of a greater arc, and the mystery presentation style which involves way more panel hunting.

I agree about the lack of a greater arc, but I think from a purely "mystery" point of view it's better than the others because the murderers are more difficult to figure out and we have more chance to suspect the wrong character. I think that's the main point in a detective mystery.

On 12/16/2015 at 2:32 PM, SamKel. said:

I want to see if you guys believe that DC is the best anime in existence. I'd like to know your opinions and whether you think the show is underrated while stating why or why not.

YES OFCOURSE IT IS THE BEST ANIME

it is the first japanese anime i started to watch i ussually dont like animes but i first saw it when i was changing channels it was the showdown with vermouth case when judie and vermouth were talking it was in arabic and i thought it is interesting then i started to watch it 4rm ep1 and thought that it is really cool i mean the thinking the story everything is perfect nothing is much than required and i hope gosho gives it a good ending

I enjoy it despite the latter half taking a decline and all, but the best?  Far from it I'm sorry to say for reasons of feeling that the latter half lacks creative energy.

True the main priority is to tell mysteries with a highly intelligent kid solving them with the story arc being secondary, but the fact is that the writer chose to ad story arc material rather than say having Conan just being a prodigy kid with an above average IQ, so assessing the quality (as I or other critical choose to do) is fair in that area.

Heck given how the more forgiving fans seem to prefer the mystery anyway, it might have been better to just have it being about a kid solving mysteries without the angle that said kid is really an old teen who's trying to get his life back to normal.

On 1/14/2016 at 3:15 AM, Heiji.Kudo said:

I totally agree with you. Though some find DC too long, it is good to have many episodes to pass time on. I too think that it is very good to pass time though I think I love DC a little more than just passing time. As you said, there are many flaws in the anime, I agree with you. I,myself, saw a lot of points which does not make any sense but still continue to watch it. No anime is perfect but to say that DC is the best, I will answer 'no', despite being in my favourite anime list :)

While the episode count doesn't help, I feel the greater problem is taking a story meant to work in a shorter run and trying to pad it out.  Even then padding it out wouldn't have to be problematic if the writer would take advantages of status quo elements that could be changed without compromising the ability to do more Detective Conan.

As a counterpoint the Dragon Ball series as a whole (counting Z, GT and Super) just feels easier to enjoy if only because it's set up allows you to have it both ways.  Ending an arc before half the decade ends, without having the end the series to do it.  It's not something I would consider best show material or contender to be honest (aside from The Pilaf Saga up to the Piccolo Jr. Saga).  I'd probably give to others like Gargoyles, Avatar The Last Airbender (sans the comic following it), Clannad, Young Justice or even Digimon Adventure and Tamer.  But just the same it's structured in a way that it's continuing nature isn't as problematic.

1 hour ago, Neo Balthazar said:

things like DC (anime, cartoon, music, what ever forms of art ) are all subjective

if someone thinks DC is the best then thats fine

flaws and all

Of course.  Though I'd hope those fans aren't merely refraining from being critical out of fear that it makes them seem less like fans.

I mean one thing people need to keep in mind that being critical isn't automatically the same as being a hater.

19 minutes ago, Antiyonder said:

I mean one thing people need to keep in mind that being critical isn't automatically the same as being a hater.

i  do agree with this

but it feels like at times that the line between critiquing and hating gets blurred and mixed

3 minutes ago, Neo Balthazar said:

i like do agree with this

but it feels like at times that the line between critiquing and hating gets blurred and mixed

True, but that doesn't mean one should instantly dismiss criticism either.  At the very least give one's critique a thorough reading and if you find it's disagreeable, then directly rebuke it rather than just ignoring or dismissing outright.

• Upvote 1

I think it is a testimont to how great the show truly is given how long it has lasted. One thing we must keep in mind, is that DC is the only long running anime that is not adventure themed. This is important because adventure appeals to almost all viewers. It is the same reason comedies and rom coms are so successfull because they appeal to everyone. However for a mystrey show to last for more than two decades is really quite remarkable. 

When you look at a show like one piece and compare it to DC it's very easy to miss the brilliance of DC. Alot of times characters in adventure anime such as one piece are very one dimentional. They are just gives a tragic backstory and we are suppose to care for them from then on. In DC there are alot of characters with incredible depth you cant really find in other shows, an example of this between Conan, Haibara, Akai and Akemi, the relationship between any two of them is incredibly deep. 

I love DC. To me it is the best thing that has ever hit tv. But even i have to admit that it is far from perfect. The long running format is something that i actually prefer as new info about the BO becomes much more exciting. The main problem i think with the show is the lack of utilization of incredibly complex characters. The biggest example is Haibara. The fact that we know very little about her backstory is something that genuinly infuriates me. She is involved in the story in a way that rivals Shinichi's involvement but we dont really see mich of that. Either way i believe DC has the pitential to become the undisputed best, it is goin to be a classic no matter what and to me it is far ahead of anythingb else i have ever watched. But unfortunately it is far from perfect. 

15 minutes ago, Antiyonder said:

True, but that doesn't mean one should instantly dismiss criticism either.  At the very least give one's critique a thorough reading and if you find it's disagreeable, then directly rebuke it rather than just ignoring or dismissing outright.

You dont have to tell me twice

Its just that i have seen where this is not the case

A lot of times

The name of this topic is soooo....

Does anything deserve to be called the greates ( speaking ofcours about stuff like DC )

It all your personal preference

@SamKel.

Im not disputing that DC wont down as one of the best and a clasic given its looooong run and to your point not adventure themed

But to me, and i do love DC  a lot and think of ot as one of my favorites, its strengths are also its weaknesses

24 minutes ago, SamKel. said:

I think it is a testimont to how great the show truly is given how long it has lasted. One thing we must keep in mind, is that DC is the only long running anime that is not adventure themed. This is important because adventure appeals to almost all viewers. It is the same reason comedies and rom coms are so successfull because they appeal to everyone. However for a mystrey show to last for more than two decades is really quite remarkable.

When you look at a show like one piece and compare it to DC it's very easy to miss the brilliance of DC. Alot of times characters in adventure anime such as one piece are very one dimentional. They are just gives a tragic backstory and we are suppose to care for them from then on. In DC there are alot of characters with incredible depth you cant really find in other shows, an example of this between Conan, Haibara, Akai and Akemi, the relationship between any two of them is incredibly deep. 

I love DC. To me it is the best thing that has ever hit tv. But even i have to admit that it is far from perfect. The long running format is something that i actually prefer as new info about the BO becomes much more exciting. The main problem i think with the show is the lack of utilization of incredibly complex characters. The biggest example is Haibara. The fact that we know very little about her backstory is something that genuinly infuriates me. She is involved in the story in a way that rivals Shinichi's involvement but we dont really see mich of that. Either way i believe DC has the pitential to become the undisputed best, it is goin to be a classic no matter what and to me it is far ahead of anythingb else i have ever watched. But unfortunately it is far from perfect. 

Bold one: I don't know.  Length and popularity don't always equal quality.  Take the episodes of the Rugrats cartoon after it's first attempt at ending or the Twilight books.

Mind you I don't think it's the worst possible series.

Bold two: I think it would be over-simplifying to say that the series' length is the issue and but rather the issue is that the plot and structure that we got was meant for a shorter frame, especially since we're suppose to accept that continuity wise that not even a full year has passed.  Even if you trimmed the non essential material, there would still be a feel that more time than half a year passed.

To look at some counterpoints:

1. Simpsons and even Rugrats works because there was never even a semblance of a series plot.  You might have the occasional reoccurring arc, but other than that it's forgivable, especially as something like Simpsons is mostly suppose to make us laugh, whereas DC takes itself more serious in comparison.

2. Even with some quality issues found (like the anime's means off padding the arcs from Vegeta to Kid Buu), it allows more of a time passage.  Plus other than possibly Goku's desire to be the strongest in existence there's no singular goal for the series.

Some would say that's a low point because there's not as much focus, but on the flipside, unless a writer has both the clout (presuming that part of the reason for keeping the series going is because of higher ups demanding so) and integrity to finish the story in a reasonable frame, then it can arguably work against the story.

Shows like Dragonball or something like Young Justice on the other hand can conceivably have it both ways.  You can wrap up subplots and even have changes in the status quo without compromising the ability to do more stories.

Take Haibara for example.  There's been signs that she has info on both the Apotoxin and The Organization.  And to be fair to have her share that info with the cast would actually or potentially begin the ending of the series, so I can on the one hand appreciate keeping this piece of status quo in effect.  Though considering how long the series continued past her introduction and all major arc events since then, I feel the moment the manga starts to wrap up and we have Haibara sharing more info will feel anti-climatic, inorganic and sudden.

Not to mention that there are things that could be allowed some change without negative consequences.  Take the whole bit between Ran and Conan.  2 decades and she Gosho still won't allow her to be brought into the secret.  And I ask why?  Because ironically enough at least as I see it, it's basically something the would give readers the best of both worlds.

It's a significant enough change to shake things up noticeably and yet not so big as to require ending the series.  Heck, since Gosho is trying his best to pad the manga out, the change would open up quite a bit a padding fodder.  Even if Ran was brought into the fold just before the Bourbon arc, I'd argue that it would still benefit the series on the creative side. Additionally it allows Ran to have more substance as a character and provides much needed growth for Conan.

In short it's a move that good on multiple fronts, and lacks real downside.  If there is a downside I'd like to hear it as to be fair there might be factors I haven't considered.

• Upvote 1

I read most your opinions here and I am of tired . Someone said that " it is great though of all the anime that he watched he wouldnt considered it also to be the greatest" so in short you cannot really say that theres a greatest or the best anime of all time. But heres the thing in all genres in the world like sports, showbiz,movies and even the the most corrupt politician theres all that and thats normal , in basketball its debate as of now is on Jordan or Lebron , in soccer its messi and ronaldo maybe in movies superman and batman series but in anime you cant even consider DC to be the greatest oh! Shut up  DC for sure to be a candidate for GOAT ANIME SERIES . In the first place what anime is the greatest Death note? Naruto? One piece and even Fairy tale......all the comments here said that DC is their favorite but the also said that it cannot be atleast considered to be one of the greatest. Oh come on i bet your just another animefan from different galaxy.

My point is NO ANIME WILL NOT BE THE BEST IF DETECTIVE CONAN IS NOT PART ATLEAST IN THE DEBATE. Some say that its too long , that some part of is boring maybe you just dont understand (maybe your just a love genre  anime lover ) that DC is too long because many INTELLIGENT PEOPLE want to watch , its just that it cannot run for atleast 20 years now that no fans want to watch it. For Death note fans ( I also watched deathnote  so im not a hater in fact i was delighted that its condidered numer 1 ) death note but if u at its story its more like a mind game like DC 

=it has one fantasy which is the death note obvoiusly while DC has also only one fantasy Conan itself ( oh i forgot thats 2 fantasy for dnote its the second L , a crybaby who can control the FBI oh come on u its a fantasy)

= the rest is history on Dnote ( the story , action scenes , love story and even  the graphics) in DC also the same but the fact that it has a greater story , gretaer plot and greater love story (ShinichixRanxHaibara) and i can Greater graphics bcause Dnote only last  a year while DC has just beaten the series of Naruto (which btw my 2nd fav anime)

Sorry for all Dnote fans , what i want is that DC should be given respect if Dnote is number  one ANIME  then DC should be THE  number BEST ANIME. AND FOR ALL THE COMMENTS HERE THAT DONT SAY DC CANNOT ATLEAST BE CONSIDERED THE GREAT , FUCK OFF JUST WATCH FAIRYTALE FOREVER BECAUSE IT HAS NO FANTASY AT ALL , ITS FULL OF REALITY THAT U CAN USE IN YOUR DAILY LIFE LIKE THAT TALKING FLYING CAT HAHAHA