Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 942-944: Chiba's weightloss and the UFO

It could be possible that the mysterious child might be related to Haibara, but not to Sera. The two of them could have met each other and decided to stick together so people who saw them might assumed they were relatives due to the resemblance. It could be possible if the mysterious child was in hiding from the organization.

Is there no file this week? I could've sworn that last week wasn't a double issue, and that it didn't say there'd be a break—rather, I thought it said that the subsequent issue was a double issue (for this week) and that next week would be a break.

EDIT:

File 944 text spoilers are indeed out, like I thought. Here's a translation of them by Spimer over at DCTP:

Title: "Solar Balloon"
. Kogoro keeps on looking at Yoko's drama series
. Chiba's gotten too skinny to the point that almost no-one recognizes him 
. Conan calls for him because he wants to test out his theory
. They go to the crime scene: Chiba, Korogo, Ran, Hina and the publisher are there
. Conan unfolds a large black polyester bag asking if the UFO was of this color: Kogoro says that it's too large to suffocate anyone
. Conan has Chiba try it by putting the bag over Kogoro's head and try to strangle him from behind
. If you fill up the bag with air and throw it at the sky then you can dispose of it by having it fly away
. If you shape the bag's opening like the number 8 and swing it it, he bag expands without having to run around and it doesn't increase the footsteps
. Even if you stand there for a lot of time and slowly sink you can erase those prints by dropping atop them
. The expanded bag loses air density through "solar balloon effect" and flies off on its own
. It should be noted that there was a CCTV camera set on the Haido Park stairs after what happened to Shibuya - sensei and that it filmed the bag
. There was the fear that if it was reported right then as UFO information the trick would be found out so the publisher changed his statement between the day of the incident and the present day
. The editor criticized the publisher that his photos were out of focus and knew there was no UFO and told him to make a proper photograph and he didn't care if it was faked: the publisher got angered and committed the crime
. When Conan visited the publisher's home, he noticed that his right hand was white: that indicated that he'd hidden something at a height higher than his chest
. Some time after that, Chiba had gotten skinny to the point someone might call out for him in a shrill voice but...
. Looks like the plan rebounded because of Naeko's cardboard box choco attack, having predicted the crisis
. Side-note: "Detective Chiba remains unchanged. Naeko's plan is a great success! Is it?"

My thoughts:

Is this implying that Kazunobu is fat again, by the end of this? That essentially nothing changed?

I guess we're still waiting for this side-story's resolution.

Any comments on the mystery, in this one?

My thoughts:

Is this implying that Kazunobu is fat again, by the end of this? That essentially nothing changed?

I guess we're still waiting for this side-story's resolution.

Any comments on the mystery, in this one?

a reply to the "my thoughts" section

For Chiba, the japanese text used the word "rebound"

as for the case, solar balloons are a thing you can buy in real life

however they only work on warm sunny days when the air inside the plastic can heat up really quickly

so I'm not sure this case should have worked quite the way Gosho has it happen.  

a reply to the "my thoughts" section

as for the case, solar balloons are a thing you can buy in real life

however they only work on warm sunny days when the air inside the plastic can heat up really quickly

so I'm not sure this case should have worked quite the way Gosho has it happen.  

Well, according to the English scans, Hina mentions that she saw the UFO back when she was jogging during the summer holidays and that it is currently the winter holidays, so there should be no problem with having it be a warm, sunny day, because she actually saw the UFO about half a year ago.

Well, according to the English scans, Hina mentions that she saw the UFO back when she was jogging during the summer holidays and that it is currently the winter holidays, so there should be no problem with having it be a warm, sunny day, because she actually saw the UFO about half a year ago.

sorry, I haven't seen the english scans and the japanese ones disappeared when manga-netabare went down, so i've just been going by the images in the Chinese scans. It looked to dark in most of the images and I thought the murder had happened recently, during the winter since it was Christmas time last case. Half a year ago and she only went to Mouri now ? I guess I need to go read it. 

Oh, so that's what it meant.

Nevertheless, this romance remains unresolved.

If Gosho was drawing parallels between himself and Kazunobu, then I wonder about the Yumi yelling at him part and him acting oblivious... does he know some aren't too pleased about certain things in DC? At the very least, he got down a certain reaction to this specific plot thread dragging on.

EDIT:

Kawanakajima : Great.

Blog : Meh.

First met first love : Awful.

Yoko and Higo's date : Standard but quite funny.

Ramen Revisited : Average rehash saved a bit by Sato and Takagi

Zombie Movie Murder Case : Pretty good.

Girl Band : Meh.

Department Store Stabbing : Not bad for a DB case.

UFO case : Meh.

Ranked from best to worst : Kawanakajima, Zombie Movie, Yoko and Higo's date, Department Store Stabbing, Ramen Revisited, Girl Band, UFO, Blog, [..............................] First met first love.

Kawanakajima : Great.

Blog : Bad.

ShinRan Preschool Flashback: Awesome, utilized different perspectives well

Yoko & Higo: Good

Ramen Revisited : Good

Zombie Movie Murder Case : Great

Girl Band: Decent

Department Store Stabbing: Decent

UFO case: Meh

1.) ShinRan Flashback 2.) Kawanakajima 3.) Zombie Movie 4.) Yoko & Higo 5.) Ramen II 6.) Girl Band 7.) Department Store 8.) UFO 9.) Blog, Photo, Selfie

And that's DC 2015, ladies and gentlemen.

Your thoughts on this year's cases and files?

I liked the majority of the cases this year.

Kawanakajima really stands out, and is my favorite case of the year, but then again, I've enjoyed everything with the Nagano prefecture police.

I'd say second place goes to the Yoko/Higo case. I liked the case trick as well as the humor in the file. It was really well done imo. I found the Zombie case to be quite exceptional as well.

The rest for the most part were all rather enjoyable.

The UFO case is probably the first Chiba/Naeko case I've liked, though it was really just "average" as a whole. I really don't think any of the other cases this year were stellar, they are all about on the same level for me.

I didn't really like the Shin/Ran flashback. I will say it had some comedic bits, and it was nice to get their first meeting out of the way. I feel that it lasted a bit too long, and I didn't really like how they handled it as a whole (the whole two perspectives bit and reusing scenes). Maybe I'll like it more when the anime comes around to it (or it could be even worse with the recaps  :P ).

Looking forward to next year. As dissatisfied as I was with the anime this year, the manga was pretty good.

Kawanakajima : obviously great

Blog : didnt care for it, the last page only got my attention

Shinichi boy Ran girl: i didnt like it. Gosho can probably write tones like these and it wouldnt make any difference. There was a file too many

Yoko & Higo: it started great but didnt finish great. Overall, splendid

Ramen Revisited : meh, i guess there were moments of it

Zombie Movie Murder Case : not as great as the vampire mansion or the kamaitachi-something-name but still awesome

Girl Band: weeeellll, not my cup of tea

Department Store Stabbing: ok

UFO case: no

Copy-Paste-Edit from Serinox

i guess this years chapters can pass 

Kawanakajima : Very interesting, I always like cases with Kan-chan so this was probably my most favourite case from last year(Kamaitachi was also great imo, so two great cases in a row!)

Blog : I never understood how Conan knew right away that the culprit was involved in a hit and run just because of those manga, not a bad db case though.

Shinichi boy Ran girl: Quite a unique case, Conan might have been a bit too sharp for his age though, was it 4? Also the motive was insane, kidnapping a girl just so you can adopt her... lol.

Yoko & Higo: Didn't read it yet :P Maybe soon, just saw the first file though, seemed quite interesting and it surely had the best Haibara faces in dc xD

Ramen Revisited: I somewhat like this, not over-complicated and also quite logical, also it didn't have a crazy motive or a trick that you can't make up in moments unless you have IQ 200 like many of the other cases in dc :P

Zombie Movie Murder Case: Yeah not as good as Kamaitachi or Vampire when it comes to mystery but it definitely was a success when it came to horror! I guess Gosho was practicing drawing horror manga and he did a great job imo, the case was also fairly decent of course, can't wait for its animation! Though I never understood why Gosho made Kogoro ill, maybe just to make him look more zombie-like :P

Girl Band: Only read the first file yet because it was very hard to follow in Japanese, now that we have it in English should I give it a shot?

Department Store Stabbing: Quite simple yet logical, just like the Ramen case :) Also both this and the ramen one had a bit of plot so not bad. This was also somewhat of a copy-paste from the metropolitan case and also had Takagi, so it was quite nostalgic! xD

UFO case: Can't buy the idea of that girl mistaking a balloon for a UFO lol, but I learned something new, that is how to make a flying balloon using normal air instead of helium so it was cool :) Imo would have been better if we had one or two more suspects.

Lots of good cases in DC this yet :) Happy 20th Anniversary for its anime too! ^^