Detective Conan World
DCUniverseAficionado

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 936-938 Girl Band

Huh, this web of who knows who is proving to be very tangled. I'm with Uchiha and Balthazar on guessing that Sera's brother (Shuukichi?) might have known Scotch or Date. Based on expressions and body language Amuro doesn't seem quite ready to warm up to Masumi, but at the same time there's no reason to continue a grudge.

The Akai family must have been very separated from each other. Whatever Daddy and Mommy Akai were doing is the past must have generated some very pressing reason to raise their family to be difficult to link to one another.

The murder is a strangulation, but the line doesn't go all the way around the neck (at least on the vic's left side). When Gosho draws strangulation marks he generally follows some specific rules. For a strangulation were the person is simply overpowered, the cord marks make an almost complete 360 around the neck, with a small gap between where the cord marks don't touch (or mark one goes over the other) on the side the culprit is standing. For strangulation where the victim has their back pinned against something, such as a chair, the mark usually only makes a 180 or slightly more around the front of the neck. Methods involving mechanical strangulation (i.e. using the power of a mechanical window) or strangulation from a distance are more likely to be the 180 type because of limitations in the way such traps can be set up. That is cords which give a 180 mark make a U shape because the ends are being pulled from the same direction rather than a complete O where the ends are being pulled in almost opposite directions.

At this point I can't tell if it's the first 360 type and the point where the culprit was standing was on the victim's back left (where the blank spot on the camera was), or if it was a 180 pin-type with the point of pull from behind. Since all the suspects are women, I am going to to guess overpowering is less likely and a pin more likely, but this isn't a sure point.

There are marks on the neck that might be Yoshikawa lines, indicating the victim was aware of being strangled and could claw at her neck. If so, she should have corresponding damage on her fingers. Regardless, those type of marks indicate the victim's neck bled on the murder weapon, so a bloody cord-type weapon will be decisive evidence. I imagine finding the murder weapon is going to be an issue, with all the guitar strings and whatnot hanging around and since nothing was spotted right off in this first chapter.

• Upvote 1

My assumption—and the general assumption, by the look of it—is that Masumi's brother's friend is a plot relevant character. Which brother she's referring to is not specified.

Candidates if brother is Shuichi: Wataru Date or Scotch

Candidates if brother is Shukichi: Rei/Tooru, Wataru Date, or Scotch

Had Shuichi and Rei/Tooru had been friends beforehand, then Shuichi likely would've known his real name (and File 897 seems to indicate that he doesn't)—you'd think that each of them wouldn't have just suspected that the other was infiltrating the Organization, had they been friends beforehand, and, also, that they would've worked together to avoid a bad situation, as in what eventually happened with Scotch.

As for the expressions and body language, he could be faking it, right? Or is that just impossible?

Every time she and Rei/Tooru were talking, Masumi was giving him some inquisitive expressions—maybe she doesn't believe him when he says that this was the first time they met. Even if the one who taught her to play guitar isn't Rei/Tooru, then she still may not believe him about this being their first meeting.

Since Gosho said there's a reason for Amuro dark skin. Maybe the change in appearance (skin colour+some plastic surgery!!) result in Sere didn't recognize amuro eventhough he taught her bass.

Just raising another possibility. I pernally think its Scoth since Amuro mention he's maybe not beter than "your brother friend".

I pernally think its Scoth since Amuro mention he's maybe not beter than "your brother friend".

Of course he'd say something like that—he doesn't want to reveal himself with the slip of the tongue.

The thing is, why is Re/Tooru acting as if he's never met Masumi? Just being Shukichi's friend and teaching her guitar wouldn't cut it.

This leaves two possibilities—either Rei/Tooru is not Shukichi's friend who taught her to play guitar, or he is, and there's something else. That "something else" is the reason for pretending that he hasn't met her.

Since Gosho said there's a reason for Amuro dark skin. Maybe the change in appearance (skin colour+some plastic surgery!!) result in Sere didn't recognize amuro even though he taught her bass.

Or it could be that Gosho was talking about his parents, who will be introduced later via flashback/reference and be connected to Elena and Atsushi.

Since Gosho said there's a reason for Amuro dark skin. Maybe the change in appearance (skin colour+some plastic surgery!!) result in Sere didn't recognize amuro eventhough he taught her bass.

Just raising another possibility. I pernally think its Scoth since Amuro mention he's maybe not beter than "your brother friend".

Amuro didn't change his appearence(he has the same face as a child)

Maybe the meaning of his dark skin is that he's half japanese(which could be the reason why he was bullied as a child)

Sera should remember if her brother friend was Amuro...but she doesn't recognize him so I guess the Scotch possibility is stronger.Maybe Sera saw Scotch with Amuro one day which would explain their previous meeting....

• Upvote 1

If it is Scotch, then akai got his brothers friend killed...hmmm

im thinking that Scotch is just a partner who infiltrated the org with amuro

Well, we don't know the specifics of Scotch's death, and since Akai regrets it, it's possible he had no other choice at that time.

Well, we don't know the specifics of Scotch's death, and since Akai regrets it, it's possible he had no other choice at that time.

ofcourse

just given what was said i just came to that conclusion

makes you wonder how close the friends really were

Hey btw, does anyone know if Souka scans have gone on a hiatus again or not?

The translator mentioned when they started translating again that it might not last longer than the current case.

Hey btw, does anyone know if Souka scans have gone on a hiatus again or not?

The translator mentioned when they started translating again that it might not last longer than the current case.

And by "Current case" they meant the Ramen Restaurant case

we were lucky to get the few Zombie chapters

it may be a while before we get full english scanlations unless the tumblr people get back to it.

It just really depends on whether they (both Souka or the tumblr people) are busy or not. 

937 Japanese text spoilers

消された手がかり 

通報を受けてきた目暮たちが現場検証&事情聴取 
スマホは4人で位置を相談しながら設置した、常連なので店の人からは注意されず 
貸しスタジオには付きものの"鏡張りの壁"は萩江が嫌がりカーテンを閉めていた 
ひとまず監視カメラの映像を見ながら3人に話を聞く 

最初に起こしに行ったのは唯子 
部屋に忘れた裁縫道具を取りに行き、その際萩江に呼びかけたが起きず放置 
ボタンだけではなく、袖口などのほつれも直したため10分ほどかかった 
次に入ったのは染花 
スタジオから借りたギターの弦が切れ 
張り替えついでにチューニングの音で起こそうとしたが萩江は起きず 
最後に留海が起こしに行く 
直した曲は萩江には完成してから聞かせたいと 
キーボードをそっと離し、音もできるだけ小さくして作業 
その間も直し終わってから呼びかけても萩江は起きず 

そして、30分過ぎても起きないのはおかしいと3人揃って起こしに行ったら事件が 

真純はギターケースを背負った人を見て、秀兄を思い出す 
4年前、駅のホームで秀兄を見つけて追いかけた 
途中で真純は秀兄に見つかってしまい、帰れと言われて 
お金もないし帰り方も分からないと嘘を言うと切符買ってやると置き去りにされた 
そのとき、秀兄の連れの男が持っていたギターケースから 
ベースを出して弾き方を教えてくれた 
ソフトケースのはずなのに崩れず立ってたので何かの偽装かもしれないが 
そして、彼を別の男がスコッチと呼んだのを覚えていた 
呼んだ男の顔は帽子でよく見えなかったが、安室に似ている気がする 

萩江は前のボーカル・首頭朱音(しゅとう あかね)を亡くしたことで 
ほかのバンドに喧嘩を売られモメることが多かった 
朱音は喉を潰して自殺したと言われているが、自殺ではなく交通事故とも 
バンドを始めたのも萩江が朱音を見つけたからで 
朱音は歌も楽器もできた半面、料理化粧裁縫など女の子らしいことはからっきし 
留海が教えた編み物だけはなんとかモノになったようだが、唯子たちの方が上 
コナンが動画を見たいと言うと留海がスマホを見せてくれる 
警察は今回の事件に関係なさそうだとして返してくれたという 
足元が見切れるから、という理由で縦向きに撮影 
コナンたち(なるほどな… そういう事ですか…) 
■名探偵が3人寄れば、謎は即解決!?

Translations of the plot related things by Fuji

Seeing a guy with a guitar case on his back reminds Sera of Shuuichi. 4 years ago, Masumi caught sight of her bro (Shuu-nii) on a train station platform and followed him, but Shuu-nii noticed her and told her to go home. She lied, saying she had no money and didn’t know how to get home, so he went and bought her a ticket, leaving her waiting there. His acquaintance, meanwhile, took the bass guitar out of the case he was carrying and taught her to play a bit. 

The case in question was a soft case, but it kept standing despite being empty, so maybe it was disguising something…? And then some other guy calls the bass-teaching friend Scotch. She couldn’t see said other guy very well, 'cause he was wearing a hat, but he kinda looked like Amuro. (source: 2ch, as usual)

Seeing a guy with a guitar case on his back reminds Sera of Shuuichi. 4 years ago, Masumi caught sight of her bro (Shuu-nii) on a train station platform and followed him, but Shuu-nii noticed her and told her to go home. She lied, saying she had no money and didn’t know how to get home, so he went and bought her a ticket, leaving her waiting there. His acquaintance, meanwhile, took the bass guitar out of the case he was carrying and taught her to play a bit. 

The case in question was a soft case, but it kept standing despite being empty, so maybe it was disguising something…? And then some other guy calls the bass-teaching friend Scotch. She couldn’t see said other guy very well, 'cause he was wearing a hat, but he kinda looked like Amuro. (source: 2ch, as usual)

Didn't really expect there to be some Akai/Bourbon/Scotch back-story in this file  :P 

So I think when Sera met them, Akai, Scoth and Amuro were on a mission for BO together. Maybe during that mission, it accidentally revealed Scoth was a spy so Akai had to killed him. Then after that, Akai decided to send Sera to the US to protect her in case his identity is revealed later?

Didn't really expect there to be some Akai/Bourbon/Scotch back-story in this file  :P 

Me, neither.  ^_^

So I think when Sera met them, Akai, Scoth and Amuro were on a mission for BO together. Maybe during that mission, it accidentally revealed Scoth was a spy so Akai had to killed him. Then after that, Akai decided to send Sera to the US to protect her in case his identity is revealed later?

If I recall correctly, Masumi went to America 3 years before the current events. Since the flashback in File 937 takes place 4 years before current events, Scotch's death being right after Masumi came across him, Shuichi/Dai/Rye and Rei/Bourbon is unlikely—why would it take a year for her to be sent away? Most likely, this was just a mission for them that ended in success.

Question is, are Shuichi/Dai and Rei codenamed, at this point—Scotch clearly is. File 599/Episode 497 seemed to indicate Shuichi/Dai got his codename just before he was outed. The flashback takes place 2 years before he's outed. I'm not sure about Rei—he could've got it at anytime from a year before the flashback, to just before Shuichi/Dai was revealed to be FBI.

Scotch was my second choice to be the one who taught Masumi how to play guitar, since Shuichi was my second choice to be the brother she was referring to. Close enough for me.

In any case, I figured that, whether or not Rei/Tooru was the one who taught her, he must've had a reason to hide his face from her—File 937 reveals why. Masumi's been giving him very inquisitive and probing looks—maybe she suspects that he's lying when he says they've never met.

Can't wait to see Scotch! I wonder if it'll show his entire face, unobscured, or if it'll just show his mouth and jaw, with the upper part obscured by headwear.

Question is, are Shuichi/Dai and Rei codenamed, at this point

Can't wait to see Scotch! I wonder if it'll show his entire face, unobscured, or if it'll just show his mouth and jaw, with the upper part obscured by headwear.

I tried asking these two things at the DCTP spoiler box the other day and got virtually no response :V

I was joking that Scotch's face will probably be drawn really small or be covered by some kind of hat shadow.

Remember Calvados? He never got a face, not ever. The anime must have enjoyed drawing him with a

snow cap, sun glasses, and a scarf over his face. 

guess we will have to wait till the chinese file 

Is there any way Scotch could be Wataru Date? I mean of course that would be way too obvious then, but any solid proof to make it impossible? I forgot but could somebody please remind me when Date died? If he died over 4 years ago he would have an "alibi". :P

Besides, if that is not the case I really don't understand what role Date plays in the plot, he clearly had very strong ties with Bourbon which would be unnecessary unless Gosho has something in mind. If he is indeed Scotch, his existence in the manga would make far more sense. Even if not Scotch, he might be related to him in some way. I think this is worth a thought.

Is there any way Scotch could be Wataru Date? I mean of course that would be way too obvious then, but any solid proof to make it impossible? I forgot but could somebody please remind me when Date died? If he died over 4 years ago he would have an "alibi". :P

Besides, if that is not the case I really don't understand what role Date plays in the plot, he clearly had very strong ties with Bourbon which would be unnecessary unless Gosho has something in mind. If he is indeed Scotch, his existence in the manga would make far more sense. Even if not Scotch, he might be related to him in some way. I think this is worth a thought.

Date died 1 year ago, while Scotch had to die at least more than 2 years ago since that was when Akai was still in the BO.

Gosho confirmed that Wataru Date is not Scotch. The end.

His notebook, I think, has some importance that has yet to be revealed. Besides that, I think he was supposed to be the impetus for the case he was introduced in (File 804–File 808/Episode 681–Episode 683), and to hint that Rei/Tooru was PSB/PSIA.

I tried asking these two things at the DCTP spoiler box the other day and got virtually no response :V

I was joking that Scotch's face will probably be drawn really small or be covered by some kind of hat shadow.

Guess that detail wasn't in the spoilers—that is all we've got, at this point.

If his face is drawn, he might appear on the character keyhole of Volume 88.

If not... it'll be as you joked... :( 

Remember Calvados? He never got a face, not ever.

The anime must have enjoyed drawing him with a snow cap, sun glasses, and a scarf over his face. 

I guess because his purpose was to help ensure that confrontation ended in a draw—Vermouth needed a lackey for that.

I think it was just glasses and a hat (Episode 425)—you could see the rest of his face.

guess we will have to wait till the chinese file 

I'll give it a few hours, from now, in terms of it releasing today—if it's not up by the end of the day in China, I'll assume we're getting it on Wednesday.

You'd think we would've gotten spoiler pics from this flashback earlier, given its importance.

My conclusion

Scotch, Bourbon and Rye are on their way to a mission for BO. (Akai was in BO 2-5 years ago.) For rule of conservation of detail, Scotch died in that mission.

Sera cannot recognize Amuro in present day because she was young. Amuro in turn know Moroboshi Dai has a sister (May lead to his investigation and find out about real identity of Akai) Since I guessed that Scotch died then, giving Amuro motive to investigate.

Amuro also know about the guy teach Sera bass (He was there!). And fear Sera might recognize him. ("Why now" in Edocawa Conan kidnap case.)

The guitar case might will not be as it seem (Contain guns??). Conan, listen to the story, should be able to deduce and give us answer.

This case really get me excite after a long time of un-energetic. Despise it contain little mystery.

File 937 Chinese: 

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4124750575

http://imgur.com/a/OM7Sw

Some translations from presumenothing

Title: The Disappeared Clue

#937 p4 last frame Megure "It's them again... the cafe detective, the female high school detective, and the elementary schooler pretending to be a detective..." Takagi "Aren't there too many detectives? In this town..."

#937 p9-10 (Sera sees someone with a guitar case) Ran "What is it? Sera-chan..." Sonoko "Are those people strange?" Sera "Ah, no... people carrying guitar cases remind me of..." "4 years ago... standing on the opposite platform..." "Shuu-nii, carrying a guitar case!!" Conan (thinking) "Shuu-nii, that means this person is really Akai's younger sister?" Sera "It really surprised me... I thought he'd gone to America... and I'd never seen Shuu-nii play music..."

#937 p10 Sera "Actually I was already a middle schooler, I did bring money and I knew how to go home... but to Shuu-nii, I was still just a little kid..."

#937 p10 Conan (thinking) "Shuu-nii, that means this person is really Akai's younger sister?"

#937 p11-2 Sonoko (about Scotch) "Did you ask what his name was?" Sera "No... I didn't ask... but while we were on the platform another man came and called him this..." "Scotch..." Conan "........" Ran "A-a foreigner?" Sera "No matter how I looked at him, he was Japanese... it should've been a nickname?"

#937 p12 Sera "But... the man who called him that..." "Though his face wasn't clearly visible under the hat..." "I keep feeling there's a resemblance..." "To Amuro-san... you resemble him!!" Amuro "You've got the wrong person..." "More than those past happenings, let's first resolve the matter at hand... you're a detective too aren't you?" Sera "Yeah..." "I am..."

• Upvote 2

Scotch, Bourbon and Rye are on their way to a mission for BO. (Akai was in BO 2-5 years ago.) For rule of conservation of detail, Scotch died in that mission.

Sera cannot recognize Amuro in present day because she was young. Amuro in turn know Moroboshi Dai has a sister (May lead to his investigation and find out about real identity of Akai) Since I guessed that Scotch died then, giving Amuro motive to investigate.

Unless Rei/Tooru changed clothes, later, this can't be it—compare the outfit we see him in in File 898 and the one in File 937. They're not the same.

Also, if this mission was what got Scotch killed, then why did Masumi stay in Japan a whole year, afterwards? I recall her saying that three years before current events, she went to America. If Scotch died at this mission, she should've left four years ago.

If we get more of this flashback in the next file (which seems quite likely), we'll get more pieces of what was going on, but it probably didn't take much for Rei/Tooru to realize who Masumi was. Shuichi/Dai should return with the tickets, in the continuation, we'll get the last bits of info as they walk away, and that'll likely be the end of File 938.

• Upvote 1

My first reaction on seeing Scotch's image is that he has eyes like Shuukichi. You know, sort of like how Akai's dad is supposed to look like.

https://www.facebook.com/508258949226063/photos/pcb.1006828342702452/1006828102702476/?type=3

http://pre04.deviantart.net/50a8/th/pre/f/2014/207/8/6/picspam__1__shuukichi_haneda_x_miyamoto_yumi_by_kkaito_ddinh1413-d7sba7d.png

Don't tell me it's another Ethan Hondou situation...

• Upvote 1

My first reaction on seeing Scotch's image is that he has eyes like Shuukichi. You know, sort of like how Akai's dad is supposed to look like.

https://www.facebook.com/508258949226063/photos/pcb.1006828342702452/1006828102702476/?type=3

http://pre04.deviantart.net/50a8/th/pre/f/2014/207/8/6/picspam__1__shuukichi_haneda_x_miyamoto_yumi_by_kkaito_ddinh1413-d7sba7d.png

Don't tell me it's another Ethan Hondou situation...

Well, he's dead. Was would be better to use.

Middle School Masumi's reaction to Scotch shows that he's just a stranger.

Aren't Shukichi's eyes like Hidemi's/Kir's and Eisuke's eyes, as well?