Detective Conan World
User 4869

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 928-930 Ramen revisited

so apparently this is how it went, according to spoilers

warning: solution to case.

the ear rings were actually in the soy sauce, and the killer was the thin guy / Mizushina.

The hose was used as a vacuum, but to vacuum up broken glass

the noise Shuukichi heard was the pieces of glass hitting each other as the culprit ran

the rest of the glass pieces were hidden in the toilet tank. 

starting after the murder, the killer began to order gyoza so that he could use up all of the soy sauce

apparently the glass shards, we shards of the culprits glasses.

according to the spoiler c-box. 

I see, thanks for posting it! The glasses part makes a lot of sense, it matches with both the theories that the hose was used to vacuum and it was used to hide something that would prove his identity. Of course it is something that would be impossible to pick up by one's hands as well. I guess I still gotta wait for the resolution file because I still don't get how could he have hid the rings inside a soya sauce container. After thinking a while it did appear to me that it was probably the only reason why he has to use up soya sauce a lot, but unless he figured out a way by which no one else could possibly find it even after emptying the soya sauce container it would be too risky. Perhaps the explanation might be he was too desperate and found the only way he could hide the earrings would be to put them inside a random soya sauce container, still seems practical if he is really desperate.

I think overall it was quite an interesting case ;)

About Shuukichi, I did expect Gosho to only tease us with him, he probably intends on making a case starring him, Sera and Conan side by side, looking forward to it!

I'm not looking at any solutions. There are a few things that bother me at the moment.

Why the culprit would need to vacuum anything in the first place? The treasure in question is just two earrings. If they were dropped, they could be picked up easily. If the stones broke into a zillion pieces such that a vacuum was necessary, the value is so severely reduced that it doesn't make sense to bother with them. Something else must have broke into many pieces that required a vacuum.

My first thought is a necklace broke, but the victim was shown wearing an intact one in the dead-on-the-steps panel. The culprit would have had to put a new one on her which is odd, unless that specific necklace was also a target. I do notice that the necklace is new. The victim wasn't wearing one in a flashback, while the other lady suspect was, at least some of the time.

Glasses are another option, because they could shatter into many small pieces. They might also embed themselves into shoes when stepped on, thus making that mysterious clack noise as the culprit ran. If the culprit was farsighted, he might not be able to see all the little pieces on the ground, hence the need for the hose vacuum. ... Oh, would you look at that, the glasses on the part-timer are different in the flashback in Part 2 on Page 10 versus the ones the guy is wearing now. Dammit, Gosho, you tricky son-of-a.... Anyway, the culprit wore the glasses minus the lenses and hoped no one would notice. It worked for Conan. Oh man, and then because the thief can't read up close, he made the same mistake as Yumi, mixing up the normal sauce and the soy sauce since he dumped his treasure in one of the bottles. He dumped the glasses glass in the toilet tank. He doesn't finish the bottle because he can see the treasure is not at the bottom. That's still pretty damn risky because someone else could use the sauce to completion, or look at the bottom of the bottle.

One thing that bothers me is that the hose vacuum needs a cloth or bag at the end which is porous. The hose trick does not work if air is not rapidly flowing over the opening of the hose. Without holes in the bag, you don't get airflow. None of the suspects have ideal materials for the mesh bag that would be needed. Maybe you could disassemble a cough mask for gauze since it is designed for airflow to go by it, but it's not a very ideal material. (then again the culprit didn't have time to hunt for ideal materials). You might also be able to rip a pocket out from your pants, but I think the police would have noticed that.

Still not going to look at solutions. I want some time to think of problems and fix them.

For Chekhov:

The following includes only what I thought and knew before reading the solutions, no spoilers.

"Why the culprit would need to vacuum anything in the first place? The treasure in question is just two earrings. If they were dropped, they could be picked up easily" That's exactly what I thought! Therefore I had already dismissed the idea. As I mentioned somewhere above, it has to be something that would prove  his identity. If it were the earrings, he would have still left them and ran away.

BTW, even in the solution I don't think they mentioned what was used to "catch" the stuff sucked in by the vacuum. I presume it was the hand gloves the victim dismissed. He just needed it to make the vacuum function, while running he can simply hold it or keep it in his pocket until he reaches the restaurant.

Another thing I mentioned above is that whatever was in the toilet tank was what was vacuumed.

About the sauce container, I don't think being near-sighted would matter. Suppose what you say is right and the culprit is not wearing glasses, if he couldn't do something as  simple as differentiate between transparent and opaque there is no way he could talk to the police officers normally. If we suppose he did drop it inside a container, it probably wasn't a mistake but because soya sauce is opaque.

The rest is a spoiler, includes stuff I didn't know/think before reading the solution :)

Wow, I am impressed you got pretty much all of it :D To be honest glasses just never came to my mind. About the soya sauce container, I too thought it was too dangerous but after a while I realized there wasn't much he could do anyway. Also, that is the only logical explanation as to why he would need to use up soya sauce and after all since he was too desperate it was a fairly practical decision to drop the earrings inside the container.

BTW, even in the solution I don't think they mentioned what was used to "catch" the stuff sucked in by the vacuum. I presume it was the hand gloves the victim dismissed. He just needed it to make the vacuum function, while running he can simply hold it or keep it in his pocket until he reaches the restaurant.

Sorry, I meant the hand gloves the CULPRIT dismissed. And also by hold or keep in pocket I meant the stuff that was vacuumed and not the gloves themselves in case it was unclear.

If I quoted you properly I would see inside the spoiler box by accident.

As I mentioned somewhere above, it has to be something that would prove  his identity.

I thought fingerprints on a the beads of a broken necklace first. Then I thought about glasses after that. I still don't know what the right answer is except that the glasses explain some more stuff.

Suppose what you say is right and the culprit is not wearing glasses, if he couldn't do something as  simple as differentiate between transparent and opaque there is no way he could talk to the police officers normally.

I thought "normal sauce" was maybe some kind of other viscous brown sauce. It never occurred to me plain vinegar would be called sauce.

Well soy sauce is mostly opaque, but I wouldn't try to hide anything in it when it is in a clear glass bottle. Something metallic inside might make a clink sound when poured and you could still see whatever it is up against the bottom of the bottle. It's the solution that makes the most sense, so I won't oppose it, but still it's risky. Personally I would have chosen the inside of the toilet paper tube that is still on the holder or one earring in each in the indents on both sides where the central roll-holding bar is supported after replacing the roll with a fresh one (only if it is small) so it won't run out until the next evening. Wrap the earrings with toilet paper to hold everything in place properly. Or I would hide them in the opaque soap/hand creme dispenser in the bathroom. No chance of mixups. Even the corner of the vend slot of the vending machine out front would work because most people don't go feeling into the far corners of those to avoid ickiness (people look for change but rarely investigate the vend slot.).

BTW, even in the solution I don't think they mentioned what was used to "catch" the stuff sucked in by the vacuum.

But... That's really important. The vacuum won't work if the airflow at the swinging end is occluded by some sort of glove or other windblocking material. The vacuum effect isn't that strong! So it needs to be mesh or close to mesh. Well, technically the vacuum will work without a collecting bag, but it will just fling stuff everywhere.

About Shuukichi, I did expect Gosho to only tease us with him, he probably intends on making a case starring him, Sera and Conan side by side, looking forward to it!

Given that Shukichi typically appears once every year to every year and a half, we're probably going to have to wait until late 2016 or even 2017 for him to appear again, unless Gosho breaks the pattern, which he hopefully will.

I was hoping for something more than hints—they were stronger than the one at the end of the Shogi case—but that's all we're getting, for now, apparently.

Still, the only way Shukichi isn't the middle brother is if Masumi was lying about having a second brother (the why of that would have to be explained, as well), meaning that she was in contact with Shuichi/Subaru, or if Gosho introduces a Shukichi clone—these two options are the only way to get around Masumi's description of her middle brother to Yumi in File 928.

I thought "normal sauce" was maybe some kind of other viscous brown sauce. It never occurred to me plain vinegar would be called sauce.

Ouch, I didn't see that. I was too focused on it being either vinegar or soy sauce. 

IDK, maybe those are the only two liquid condiments they use in ramen shops :P

Still, the only way Shukichi isn't the middle brother is if Masumi was lying about having a second brother (the why of that would have to be explained, as well), meaning that she was in contact with Shuichi/Subaru, or if Gosho introduces a Shukichi clone—these two options are the only way to get around Masumi's description of her middle brother to Yumi in File 928.

The phone call was a big clue too right? I don't think Gosho would do something like that, he probably just thought clarifying things in front of Conan and Sera in this chapter might be too simple. Conan clearly knows Haneda Meijin is Sera's middle brother by now so maybe we could have a case with them very soon. Might even be the very next case OR after a long time when both Shuuichi and Shuukichi will be revealed to Sera and Conan respectively.

Conan clearly knows Haneda Meijin is Sera's middle brother by now...

How do you figure that? Even during the middle brother's introduction, Shinichi/Conan didn't talk or think about the middle brother—he's been far more concerned about MG.

Whatever he thinks about the middle brother, we don't know—he's never addressed the subject.

Shukichi could be a red herring, you know? I'd rather he not be, but it's certainly a possibility.

• Upvote 1

Of course it's not explicitly stated :P

However,

http://bato.to/read/_/341141/detective-conan_ch929_by_souka-scans/15

in page 15 of file 929 when Sera and Yumi call Shuukichi, after observing for a little while Conan thinks "They seem to be weirdly in sync" with a funny face :D

Also, including the part where Sera and Yumi talk about middle brother and haneda respectively and they seem to be very similar, it is clearly implied Conan knows who is the middle brother.

Of course it is not explicitly stated, but Conan knows as much as we do, it is pretty much like whether Sera knows Conan is Shinichi or not, she clearly seems to know but Conan has never discussed about it or confirmed it with her.

I know he could be a red herring but I don't think Gosho would do something like that. I think the only one he has given so many clues about and fooled us was Vermouth, when he made us think it was Jodie, though even then the proofs were not this explicit.

If you mean Conan did not pay attention because he did not think about it too much, I think it is just because he didn't  think the middle brother's identity was to important, that might be why he just simply said to himself "The seem to be weirdly in sync". I don't think Conan is someone who lets even the smallest detail slip, like in the plane case when the culprit was going to use her right hand, talked about something random and used her left hand instead.

I am pretty confident Gosho is NOT making fools of us and just intends on clarifying things about the middle brother, and as I stated above I believe he plans on making a separate case in which Conan would meet Shuukichi again, probably along with Sera. Of course I also believe when they do meet, it will be shown that Conan already knew he was the middle brother.

So if we say Gosho is not playing around with us, in conclusion we have 3 plot developments:

1) Shuukichi Haneda is the middle brother of the Akai family. Just on a side note, I wonder if he is aware that Akai is alive. When Holmes faked his death he let Mycroft know of it. I personally believe he knows Akai is alive because during the Sonoko's boyfriend case, when Sera mailed him Conan's picture he said something like he is not surprised because of something(not yet mentioned to us). I always believed it was Akai who told Shuukichi about Conan (I had always believed he was the middle brother since his debut) because how else did Shuukichi know a 1st grader could solve a murder case when he first met him? That's a totally different topic and I totally made it up though ;)

2) Mary (MERII in katakana) is probably Mg's name, making her likely to either be non-Japanese or have at least one non-Japanese parent, making us think MG is probably the Akai family's mother and Elena's sister. That means Akai and Akemi were cousins, nothing wrong with it cuz they didn't know of it anyway. Wait, does that prove even if hypothetically MG and Elena are siblings, Akai doesn't know of it? That's because being in the BO as Rye Akai must have know Akemi is Hell Angel's daughter, and it is unlikely he would want to have a romantic relationship with his cousin if he knew about it.

3) Conan couldn't care less about Akai family's middle brother xD His reaction "They seem to be weirdly in sync" probably means that he didn't know that Shuukichi is the MB but he didn't really care about it. After all, Haneda is just a shogi player. He is extremely intelligent but has no involvement(probably) with any spy organizations like FBI or CIA. Therefore Akai never discussed with Conan about him, in fact not even about Sera. Just another obvious side note but Conan and Akai don't discuss anything about their private lives apparently. I mean Conan seemed rather surprised when in Yuusaku's cold case Okiya hinted he knows Conan is Shinichi, and even knowing that Okiya is Akai all along he didn't want Ran to talk about Shinichi. No idea why.

If you mean Conan did not pay attention because he did not think about it too much, I think it is just because he didn't  think the middle brother's identity was to important, that might be why he just simply said to himself "The seem to be weirdly in sync". I don't think Conan is someone who lets even the smallest detail slip, like in the plane case when the culprit was going to use her right hand, talked about something random and used her left hand instead.

I am pretty confident Gosho is NOT making fools of us and just intends on clarifying things about the middle brother, and as I stated above I believe he plans on making a separate case in which Conan would meet Shuukichi again, probably along with Sera. Of course I also believe when they do meet, it will be shown that Conan already knew he was the middle brother.

So if we say Gosho is not playing around with us, in conclusion we have 3 plot developments:

1) Shuukichi Haneda is the middle brother of the Akai family. Just on a side note, I wonder if he is aware that Akai is alive. When Holmes faked his death he let Mycroft know of it. I personally believe he knows Akai is alive because during the Sonoko's boyfriend case, when Sera mailed him Conan's picture he said something like he is not surprised because of something(not yet mentioned to us). I always believed it was Akai who told Shuukichi about Conan (I had always believed he was the middle brother since his debut) because how else did Shuukichi know a 1st grader could solve a murder case when he first met him? That's a totally different topic and I totally made it up though  ;)

2) Mary (MERII in katakana) is probably Mg's name, making her likely to either be non-Japanese or have at least one non-Japanese parent, making us think MG is probably the Akai family's mother and Elena's sister. That means Akai and Akemi were cousins, nothing wrong with it cuz they didn't know of it anyway. Wait, does that prove even if hypothetically MG and Elena are siblings, Akai doesn't know of it? That's because being in the BO as Rye Akai must have know Akemi is Hell Angel's daughter, and it is unlikely he would want to have a romantic relationship with his cousin if he knew about it.

3) Conan couldn't care less about Akai family's middle brother xD His reaction "They seem to be weirdly in sync" probably means that he didn't know that Shuukichi is the MB but he didn't really care about it. After all, Haneda is just a shogi player. He is extremely intelligent but has no involvement(probably) with any spy organizations like FBI or CIA. Therefore Akai never discussed with Conan about him, in fact not even about Sera. Just another obvious side note but Conan and Akai don't discuss anything about their private lives apparently. I mean Conan seemed rather surprised when in Yuusaku's cold case Okiya hinted he knows Conan is Shinichi, and even knowing that Okiya is Akai all along he didn't want Ran to talk about Shinichi. No idea why.

1) There is also another possibility which is the one I believe, Shuukichi knows that Conan is Shinichi, after all he was confident enough in him to assume that he solved the case in his introduction case, since he has a very good memory, it's likely that he could remember Shinichi's young face, however, I think that would require him to know that it is possible for someone to de-age, or that he already knew beforehand that Conan is Shinichi, probably from Shuichi like you said, but then again Sera knew that Conan is Shinichi before meeting him and already knew that his name was Conan, so it's not far-fetched to assume Shuukichi knows because of a similar reason.

2) I agree.

3) I believe the reason why Conan doesn't care about the middle brother is because for him, it's someone who he is unlikely to meet, from our perspective we can suspect any character who is introduced, but from Conan's perspective he shouldn't suspect anyone. I also agree that Conan and Akai don't talk about their personal life, I don't even think Conan is 100% sure that Sera is Akai's sister, he always wanted to ask her that but was interrupted.

me-A-rii

you can't forget the A!

メアリー

Ah thanks for correcting me! I didn't know that one.

For Uchiha Shadow:

1) Yeah I think what you are saying is also possible. A problem with that is as you said, he would need to know that someone can de-age. Now I am pretty sure he knows someone can de-age because he is in constant contact with Sera and I am sure he knows about MG, however just because he knows someone can de-age doesn't mean he would assume Conan to be Shinichi as soon as he met him unless he knew of it beforehand. I agree he has a very good memory and it is possible, yet with Conan's glasses, and maybe even without them, he cannot say that for sure, unless he clearly remembered Ran as well.

Now another thing is surely Sera hadn't discussed Conan with Shuukichi before they first met, because Sera was surprised when Shuukichi was not surprised about Conan. What bugs me is what was the message Shuukichi sent to Sera that we didn't get to see after he was asked how does he know of Conan. He might have simply said something like "I saw Conan solve a case and know that he is a great detective." or maybe "I know he is Shinichi." but Sera had a very convinced expression after reading the mail. If he mailed the first quote I said, that wouldn't be enough for Sera to be convinced, and if he said the latter, then Sera would have asked how. He clearly didn't say Shuuichi told him :P

Finally, how did Sera know of Conan? This is probably the trickiest one. There might be multiple theories on this one but I don't know any of them. Sera apparently knew of Shinichi since the first time she met Conan, now Conan was evidently very intelligent and resembled Shinichi, but unless for some reason she knew beforehand that Shinichi had shrunk into an elementary schoolboy, I doubt just finding a random smart kid who looked like Shinichi 10 years ago would be enough to convince her that Conan is Shinichi. Now this is further proof that MG has been shrunk, because otherwise Sera would have not so easily believed Shinichi was shrunk, but I think the entire reason why Sera came to Japan was to meet Shinichi.

Sorry for such a long post but another thing, I am sure there must have been theories about "The Wizard" but since I don't know what they are, I will state what I believe. I think "The Wizard" is actually Shinichi. I am still not sure but I think when Shuukichi asked Sera "So have you met the Wizard yet?" he was referring to Conan. I think some people believe that's not it, because if Conan is right in front of Sera why would he ask that? I believe he just wanted to confirm whether Sera knows Conan is Shinichi or not, after all, before answering Sera stared at Conan. For some reason, perhaps MG's spy info or something, Shuukichi and Sera both knew beforehand that Shinichi had shrunken. Thinking about that, Sera, along with MG who possibly had shrunken while in the US, decided to come  to Japan and meet the shrunken Shinichi to discuss about it. In that case, when Sera asked Shuukichi how does he know of Conan, he could have simply responded something like "I have already met him." and then asked Sera whether she has met "The Wizard" AKA Shinichi to confirm that she knows Conan is Shinichi. Everything would have been perfectly clarified if Ran and Sonoko didn't join Conan in the pool case! :D

3)  Yeah I agree, Conan is not 100% sure. However, I believe he just wanted to confirm that when he was going to ask about it in the red woman case. I think almost everything about Akai family would be cleared in a next big case I am expecting. In the pool case Sera was going to talk about MG with Conan, but since she couldn't I think sooner or later she will. That would probably also be when Shuukichi would be officially revealed to be Akai family's middle brother. I also read that in an interview Gosho was asked if Sera would meet Akai any soon, and he said yes, so if things go well, everything regarding the Akai family could be clarified in just one case.

• Upvote 1

Ah thanks for correcting me! I didn't know that one.

For Uchiha Shadow:

1) Yeah I think what you are saying is also possible. A problem with that is as you said, he would need to know that someone can de-age. Now I am pretty sure he knows someone can de-age because he is in constant contact with Sera and I am sure he knows about MG, however just because he knows someone can de-age doesn't mean he would assume Conan to be Shinichi as soon as he met him unless he knew of it beforehand. I agree he has a very good memory and it is possible, yet with Conan's glasses, and maybe even without them, he cannot say that for sure, unless he clearly remembered Ran as well.

Now another thing is surely Sera hadn't discussed Conan with Shuukichi before they first met, because Sera was surprised when Shuukichi was not surprised about Conan. What bugs me is what was the message Shuukichi sent to Sera that we didn't get to see after he was asked how does he know of Conan. He might have simply said something like "I saw Conan solve a case and know that he is a great detective." or maybe "I know he is Shinichi." but Sera had a very convinced expression after reading the mail. If he mailed the first quote I said, that wouldn't be enough for Sera to be convinced, and if he said the latter, then Sera would have asked how. He clearly didn't say Shuuichi told him :P

Finally, how did Sera know of Conan? This is probably the trickiest one. There might be multiple theories on this one but I don't know any of them. Sera apparently knew of Shinichi since the first time she met Conan, now Conan was evidently very intelligent and resembled Shinichi, but unless for some reason she knew beforehand that Shinichi had shrunk into an elementary schoolboy, I doubt just finding a random smart kid who looked like Shinichi 10 years ago would be enough to convince her that Conan is Shinichi. Now this is further proof that MG has been shrunk, because otherwise Sera would have not so easily believed Shinichi was shrunk, but I think the entire reason why Sera came to Japan was to meet Shinichi.

Sorry for such a long post but another thing, I am sure there must have been theories about "The Wizard" but since I don't know what they are, I will state what I believe. I think "The Wizard" is actually Shinichi. I am still not sure but I think when Shuukichi asked Sera "So have you met the Wizard yet?" he was referring to Conan. I think some people believe that's not it, because if Conan is right in front of Sera why would he ask that? I believe he just wanted to confirm whether Sera knows Conan is Shinichi or not, after all, before answering Sera stared at Conan. For some reason, perhaps MG's spy info or something, Shuukichi and Sera both knew beforehand that Shinichi had shrunken. Thinking about that, Sera, along with MG who possibly had shrunken while in the US, decided to come  to Japan and meet the shrunken Shinichi to discuss about it. In that case, when Sera asked Shuukichi how does he know of Conan, he could have simply responded something like "I have already met him." and then asked Sera whether she has met "The Wizard" AKA Shinichi to confirm that she knows Conan is Shinichi. Everything would have been perfectly clarified if Ran and Sonoko didn't join Conan in the pool case! :D

3)  Yeah I agree, Conan is not 100% sure. However, I believe he just wanted to confirm that when he was going to ask about it in the red woman case. I think almost everything about Akai family would be cleared in a next big case I am expecting. In the pool case Sera was going to talk about MG with Conan, but since she couldn't I think sooner or later she will. That would probably also be when Shuukichi would be officially revealed to be Akai family's middle brother. I also read that in an interview Gosho was asked if Sera would meet Akai any soon, and he said yes, so if things go well, everything regarding the Akai family could be clarified in just one case.

Can I agree with you more? Lol, I think the exact same thing you said, I think that the message he sent to Sera was most likely the former, while it's not really convincing, I believe that because Sera's expression was very relieved, almost as if she didn't want him to say he knows he is Shinichi, because if he said he knew he is Shinichi, as you said, Sera would ask him another question, and she wouldn't bother answer whether or not she met the wizard, I personally think it is like this: Both Sera and Shuukichi know Conan is Shinichi, however, Sera doesn't know that Shuukichi knows, and Shuukichi either doesn't know that she knows as well, or suspects that she knows and wanted to confirm it when he asked her if she met the wizard, anyway, I think however, that the reason why MG and Sera came to Japan wasn't to talk to Conan, it was to talk to Haibara, think about it, the only one who knows how to make the antidote is Haibara, and that is why Sera was interested in meeting her before the Mystery Train case, however, after she met her, she didn't talk about her again at all, which I believe is because she realized that Haibara wouldn't talk by herself, because she finds Sera suspicious, so she probably wanted to talk to Conan first to make him understand the situation, and then that would make Haibara understand the situation. But I have no proof for that, it's just pure speculation. But it will all make sense if Sera is Haibara's cousin. I think that Sera might've heard about Conan when she arrived in Japan, he's known from the Kid cases, so she might've made the connection. But there are still a lot of things missing.

• Upvote 1

Masumi said she came to Japan to meet the "wizard/magician," and often mentions that word or words like it while around Shinichi/Conan, suggesting he's the "wizard/magician," and that he's the reason she's in Japan. While she, like Shiho/Ai, is in love with Shinichi/Conan, she's not in Japan because of him—it's likely because MG (her mother, in all probability) was shrunk recently. If so, and she says that she came to Japan to meet the "wizard/magician," she can't be referring to Shinichi/Conan. The "wizard/magician" is either referring to MG or Shiho/Ai.

As for the middle brother's text, I don't think his response to her asking how he knew Shinichi/Conan was "I know he's Shinichi," or something like that—her expression, upon seeing such a response, would have been surprise, at first... but all she does is smile, blush, and think, "I see... so that's how it is...". If Shukichi is the middle brother, and had been sheltering MG before she moved in with Masumi at some point before File 856—if MG had been with Masumi since before File 768, you'd think she would've found out about Shinichi/Conan earlier and, thus, wanted to meet with him, earlier—there's no reason to think he'd discount the possibility of someone shrinking, especially if he remembered Shinichi's young face. Maybe the reason he looked so shocked in File 849 at Shinichi/Conan citing what he said in File 848—and, also, figuring out the case, as he had—was because it made the possibility that Conan was a shrunken Shinichi all the more likely. Perhaps the "A well-prepared move... that's what this is..." line slipped out of Shukichi, or he said it to see if Shinichi/Conan could solve the case, as he had—we don't see his reaction to seeing Shinichi/Conan, after all—or maybe it was both. Heck, MG could've been in his suite during that case, for all we know... I think that at some point between Mystery Train (Files 818–824) and Steamy Relations (Files 856–858), MG moved in with Masumi. 

We've never seen MG talk to Masumi via phone, so she was likely talking to her middle brother at the end of File 800 (Online Client/Detectives' Nocturne). He could've been giving her an update on MG's condition, since she seems to be in perpetual cold-mode (cold as in sick, not ice, or something like it). Speaking of that case, along with File 777 (Target on Tape), it really seems that she's alone in that apartment—there doesn't really seem to be a place where MG could've been, at the time (you could say bathroom and I'd have to say it can't be proven, either way, though).

• Upvote 1

We've never seen MG talk to Masumi via phone, 

Although we can't really prove it at this point

Its possible that Masumi contacted MG via text at the beginning of the Romance Novelist case to tell her to hide in the bathroom

rather than Masumi telling her brother that they couldn't meet. 

Although we can't really prove it at this point

Its possible that Masumi contacted MG via text at the beginning of the Romance Novelist case to tell her to hide in the bathroom

rather than Masumi telling her brother that they couldn't meet. 

True, but I said "talk," not "text"—I was referring to File 800. Someone called and talked to Masumi, and it couldn't have been Shuichi/Subaru, since he was also receiving a call, at the same, likely from James. Plus, this was pre-Mystery Train, so unless you account for that in your theory about Shuichi/Subaru being the middle brother, the theory doesn't work, since according to your theory, Shuichi/Subaru slipped her a piece of paper after he carried her from Vermouth's room, and only from then on could she contact him. Unless, of course, you plan to adjust your theory, accordingly.

Unless, of course, you plan to adjust your theory, accordingly.

I'm not touching that theory again unless 1) Masumi confirms the identity of her middle brother 100% by introducing him and it turns out I'm wrong or 2) more appearances from Okiya Subaru that could add to it. That theory was written during the time of the Shogi case when it was being released in manga form 1 year ago. The only appearance of Okiya since then was at the end of the Shogi case. With out more information there really isn't anything to change about it. 

I was referring to File 800. Someone called and talked to Masumi, and it couldn't have been Shuichi/Subaru, since he was also receiving a call, at the same, likely from James. 

I had to think about this for a while, and hit two possibilities...

1) As far as we have been lead to believe so far, the only people who knew that Akai was alive (100%) at the time of Detective's Nocturne were Conan and James Black, because of the whole fool your friends to fool your enemy thing. The people that had "Okiya" 's phone number should be Conan, Agasa, and James Black. If both Conan and Agasa were both at the scene of the accident and didn't have their phones out, wouldn't the only other person (that we would have known of) at the time that could call him be James Black? It would feel kind of awkward if we later would have found out that he told any family members that he was alive, because he was being meticulous at making sure his identity was hidden (until Mystery Train). So really the only reasonable person that he could be on the phone with would be James Black. Which means that Masumi would have to be talking to someone else

2) in rebuttal to that, its possible that he wasn't actually on the phone at all. Later on in Mystery Train, we learn that Okiya has BS phone hacking powers. Its possible that he was merely listening in to one of the other two phone calls. He has pretty much proven that he doesn't actually have to touch a device itself in order to hack his way into it. In this way, it is possible for Masumi to be talking to James, but she still could have been talking to one of her other family members as well.  

i think as of now there are too many possibilities and there isn't enough evidence to determine which one is correct. We just have to wait and watch ^^

I really liked this case, has there been any announcements on what the next case would be about? I initially thought it would have Sera again with more plot info, but that seems unlikely because Conan was walking alone at the end of the case.

i think as of now there are too many possibilities and there isn't enough evidence to determine which one is correct. We just have to wait and watch ^^

I really liked this case, has there been any announcements on what the next case would be about? I initially thought it would have Sera again with more plot info, but that seems unlikely because Conan was walking alone at the end of the case.

Masumi disappeared mysteriously, so there is a chance that she may come back at the beginning of the next case to say why

but, no, there has not been anything said about the next case. Chances are, we will get Animal Crossings spoilers from Gosho later this week

and if not, there will be summary spoilers sometime on friday, maybe. 

Masumi disappeared mysteriously, so there is a chance that she may come back at the beginning of the next case to say why

but, no, there has not been anything said about the next case. Chances are, we will get Animal Crossings spoilers from Gosho later this week

and if not, there will be summary spoilers sometime on friday, maybe. 

Thanks for the info!

By the way, about the phone calls, couldn't they have been from random people? (for both Sera and Okiya) 

I think the entire reason why all three(Bourbon, Sera and Okiya) were on there phone was to confirm one of them is Bourbon, yet not reveal which one. I don't think Gosho intended to give any further clues. By random people I mean, you know like department stores or insurance companies xD I don't think either Okiya or Sera had to be too secretive of there phone numbers back then.

However, as I said, there isn't enough evidence for literally anything.