Detective Conan World
SamKel.

Gosho's romance style

I was just thinking that DC is for me is the best show let alone anime. And It bothers me that it can be a lot better than it is now. Specifically in the romance aspect of the series.

Gosho is an amazing writer and he has divided the main plot very well but when it comes to romance, he just doesn't seem to put any effort into it.

I am a ConanxAi fan. I can argue all day that they are the best couple. But what really bothers me about the romance in the series is that its really dry. The one scene that really proved to me that Gosho's romance writing is just boring, is the scene between Ran and Shinichi in London. Now I know they will end up together and I think I made my peace with that, but when Shinichi tells her after 520 episodes 'how can someone understand the heart of the woman he loves' or something like that. It really made me mad.

I mean she told him countless times that she loves huh so when he says he doesn't understand how she feels it really bothered me and I thought of it as the biggest flaw in the series.

So I was wondering what you guys thought about it all. Personally I feel like I've been subjected to watch a love story filled with nothing but blushes and awkwardness. But DC is still the best there ever will be. So tell me what you guys think.

First of all, DC is primarily a detective fiction manga, Gosho said in one of his detective libraries that DC is only romantic on the side and wasn't really intended by him in this form (paraphrasing a bit here, but that's the gist of it). So, romance is just a bonus.

Gosho is not a very good romance writer, true, but Shinichi's confession is one of his better moments in the series in regards to romance. Understanding what's in her heart, is more than just knowing that she loves him, you know?

Other than that, yeah. Gosho doesn't put much effort into it, because it's not the focus of the series.

• Upvote 2

I agree he could have developed better the pairings he already has introduced, rather than introducing so many new ones. One one hand, I am a big fan of childhood friend romances (the only kind of romance that I really adore), so if there are more of them, the better (also because childhood friends tend to lose to romantic rivals in anime, DC is a pleasant exception), but on the other hand the excessive quantity can diminish the quality unfortunately. Even though I like almost all the pairings in DC, the only ones Gosho seems to pay attention to are Shinichi x Ran and Sato x Takagi.

• Upvote 1

You're a troublesome and tough case, you know! With all these distracting emotions... Even if I were Holmes it'd still be impossible to figure out! The heart of a woman whom one likes... How can anyone accurately deduce that?

I am a ConanxAi fan. I can argue all day that they are the best couple. But what really bothers me about the romance in the series is that its really dry. The one scene that really proved to me that Gosho's romance writing is just boring, is the scene between Ran and Shinichi in London. Now I know they will end up together and I think I made my peace with that, but when Shinichi tells her after 520 episodes 'how can someone understand the heart of the woman he loves' or something like that. It really made me mad.

That was just Shinichi's way of confessing.

It's a stereotype that women are fickle and have a difficult time directly admitting their feelings to someone. Additionally, Ran is a bit of a tsundere and will turn defensive whenever someone teases her. The last sentence of his quote addresses that. If you take apart Shinichi's quote piece by piece, you'll realize that this overly embellished statement of his is just his geeky way of admitting his feelings to her.

Also, the "The heart of a woman whom one likes" makes it pretty clear that this is a confession.

A bit underwhelming, I'll admit, but it's still a confession nonetheless.

If you're still bothered by it, think of it as Gosho's way of slowing down plot progression.

I mean she told him countless times that she loves huh so when he says he doesn't understand how she feels it really bothered me and I thought of it as the biggest flaw in the series.

I don't remember Ran ever confessing to his face. She only unknowingly confessed to him when he was Conan (episode 2).

Shinichi is pretty dense. You would've thought that he would at least know that Haibara also has feelings for him. He doesn't. 

So I was wondering what you guys thought about it all. Personally I feel like I've been subjected to watch a love story filled with nothing but blushes and awkwardness. But DC is still the best there ever will be. So tell me what you guys think.

You're better off looking somewhere else if you're only watching DC for the romantic subplot.

DC isn't a love story, and to be frank, Gosho isn't exactly the best at writing one.

• Upvote 1

For me it didn't make sense. What he said means that he doesn't know Ran's feelings because its not possible to deduce the heart of the woman he likes, but if Haibara is in love with him then he is even more clueless about that, which doesn't make sense because he doesn't like her, apparently. He's just dumb about romance. But it was a decent scene, I have to say.

As for DC's romance, yeah its mostly just one childhood love story after another, but I don't really mind it if the couple has good chemistry, though it's unfortunate that the primary pairing in both MK & DC suck in that area. It just shows the pretty, kind girl tailing the cool guy around, though at least Ran knows karate. I too ship AiXConan and definitely prefer AkakoXKaito over AokoXKaito.

I agree he could have developed better the pairings he already has introduced, rather than introducing so many new ones. One one hand, I am a big fan of childhood friend romances (the only kind of romance that I really adore), so if there are more of them, the better (also because childhood friends tend to lose to romantic rivals in anime, DC is a pleasant exception), but on the other hand the excessive quantity can diminish the quality unfortunately. Even though I like almost all the pairings in DC, the only ones Gosho seems to pay attention to are Shinichi x Ran and Sato x Takagi.

Lol ! Right after I saw your username while scrolling down I thought to myself, "Yeah he's going to mention how much he likes the childhood romance plot"

Lol ! Right after I saw your username while scrolling down I thought to myself, "Yeah he's going to mention how much he likes the childhood romance plot"

And what's wrong with that? Everybody has a thing they like the most. I don't mock you for being a Ai x Conan fan at least.

I've never really cared for the romance overall, but there are some okay moments throughout the series. It's always been something I can tolerate, as long as the actual cases are interesting enough to hold my attention.

I think my biggest issue with how the romance is handled is that it is far too drawn out, and there really isn't that much "progression" (although I suppose this is more or less tailored to the main characters, and a couple others) and I almost, in some instances, see it as a way to delay and stall the plot. I'm just hoping Chiba and Naeko's love story will get resolved soon enough so we don't have to focus on that one much longer. It's especially frustrating since none of us are getting any younger  :P

I also didn't mind Shinichi's confession in London. I thought the way he went about it was very fitting for his character.

Ai is perhaps my favorite character in the series, but I don't think that she should have a love interest. Knowing the way Gosho has handled romance in the series, would it really do any good for her character? I think there are other ways that Gosho can develop characters rather than give them a seemingly forced love story.

I've never really minded Shinichi/Ran, but it's been quite clear since the start of the series. Gosho seems to be saving further developments towards the end of the stories, and given DC's already massive length, makes Shinichi/Ran seem really drawn out. 

Also doesn't Gosho primarily write childhood romances because he thinks it's easier for others to understand (or maybe for himself to write)?

DC isn't a love story, and to be frank, Gosho isn't exactly the best at writing one.

Neither are many Shonen writers to be sure, but then other writers at least try not to give the love interest too much screentime or at least give the love interest something to do to earn that screentime.

his typical style of romance is "childhood-friends" or "have-met-since-we-were-kids" :))

- then they would remain friends till now [e.x. Ran-Shin, Hei-Kaz, Kansuke-Yui, Kogoro-Eri]

- or there'd be at least one of the two likes the other since then even though they haven't met [Chiba-Naeko, Kobayashi-Shiratori, Agasa-Fusae]

since this type of couple accounts for about 50% of all, I prefer the other types :)) (since it sounds irrealistic to me)

(the type that people meet each other when they've grown up and fall in love after that) [e.x. Sato-Takagi, Yukiko-Yusaku]