Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Oversights in Detective Conan: Testing new article-type about errors, plotholes, and omissions

Link to the Wiki Article Oversights in Detective Conan

I have a test article set up where I hope to catalogue oversights in Detective Conan, that is errors, plotholes, omissions, etc. It is a new type of article in that it is going to be full of opinions a bit like how tvtropes works. I am hoping it will work out considering how well speculation sections are doing across the board. If you want to add something or a rebuttal, please follow the guidelines. If you have anything to add, or suggestions on how to improve the layout, I am open to advice.

• Upvote 6

this was brought up over at the DCTP spoiler chat box,

Could it be possible that the text message that Haibara had received to her phone that was signed by Vermouth durring the Mystery Train case, actually be from Okiya / Akai ? He is seen a page or two later encountering Haibara in the hall way with his phone in his hand saying how predictable her movements are. 

In this way Vermouth would not necessarily have Haibara's cell phone number and Okiya may have just sent the message from his phone (which would show up as an unknown number on Haibara's phone) and just have to sign the message with the word Vermouth to get Haibara to run out into the hallway to get away from the others.

I don't necessarily believe this, but its definitely worth listing as a rebuttal. 

EDIT: Matsumoto's Scar

There are many panels early on when Matsumoto appeared where Gosho forgot to draw the scar

They are in volume 8, 29, and 44 (images in spoiler box)

Volume 8 file 8-10

matsumoto1.jpgmatsumoto2.jpgmatsumoto7.jpg

matsumoto3.jpgmatsumoto4.jpg

matsumoto5.jpgmatsumoto6.jpg

Volume 29 files 1-2

matsumoto8.jpgmatsumoto9.jpg

Volume 44 file 4

matsumoto10.jpg

might be a bit of a stretch to call it an oversight, but a Tumblr user brought up the fact that 

Ran in the most recent chapter seems to know Naeko's name

Ran was not in any of the previous cases that Naeko was in because they were all Detective Boys cases. 

There aren't any Anime Original scenes where they meet either. 

brought up by Serinox at the dctp spoiler c-box

link to the person's tumblr

http://miskatsura.tumblr.com/post/127250937519/can-someone-tell-me-when-did-ran-meet-naeko-all

might be a bit of a stretch to call it an oversight, but a Tumblr user brought up the fact that 

Ran in the most recent chapter seems to know Naeko's name

Ran was not in any of the previous cases that Naeko was in because they were all Detective Boys cases. 

There aren't any Anime Original scenes where they meet either. 

brought up by Serinox at the dctp spoiler c-box

link to the person's tumblr

http://miskatsura.tumblr.com/post/127250937519/can-someone-tell-me-when-did-ran-meet-naeko-all

Sounds good!

Its been a bit of fun looking for these things, either in the manga or finding things across the web that are found by other people

this one comes from a DCTP thread concerning Akemi (and the theory that she might somehow be alive, but I'm going with dead.)

(note: all of the information below is based on fan translations that are still present on the manga reading websites)

Basically the assumption I have is that: 16 volumes after he had killed off Akemi in the manga, he introduces her sister. Through Shiho he gives us a flashback of Akemi having knowledge that she really could not possibly have had at that time. This is either a case of "retcon" or a case of Gosho not remembering correctly / not rereading his own content for accuracy. 

Once Haibra is introduced in the manga and they end up going to Professor Hirota's house (V18, file10). Haibara has a flashback to a conversation that she had with her sister. Given the information in the flash back, it could only happen at some point after Akemi's first visit to the Detective Agency (V2, file04), but before going to the hotel to kill the large man known as "Akira" (V2, file06) because that ultimately ends with her being shot (V2, file07). In this conversation, Akemi mentions Conan by name and that he has a composure like an adult. This is kind of weird when you go back and actually read the Billion Yen Robbery Case in which she appeared. 

1. What is this adult composure that Akemi supposedly talked about? The first time that Akemi comes to the detective agency Conan spends the whole time trying to stick Agasa's new tracking device sticker on to Ran's butt, misses, trips over a cord, and falls into the seat next to her. Not to mention the fact that Akemi was so busy delivering her sob story to even notice Conan's existence. The second time she comes to the detective agency, she is so hurried and pretty much only talks to Kogoro, not paying Conan or Ran any attention. The only time that Conan really acts like an adult in front of her is after she has been shot. 

2. Knowing the name Edogawa Conan, how?

a. The name Conan was never spoken while Akemi was present. 

b. The name Edogawa was only spoken to her after she had been shot, after Conan started to say his new identity name he stopped before saying "Conan" and instead went with revealing himself as "Kudo Shinichi"

(I actually checked all of this point against the Japanese volume version, just to be sure)

3. According to the flashback conversation, Akemi knew that her sister Shiho was going to search a house in the nearby area that belonged to a "Kudo", which is information that she should have known at the time she was lying on the ground bleeding. However she doesn't react to the name "Kudo" in this instance, but instead reacts to the fact that he calls himself a detective. Which is also weird because apparently she was the one who told Shiho about his "adult composure".

There is a bunch of other things in the theory that go a bit off track, but these are the three main things that sound a bit weird if you are to be lead to believe that the conversation between Akemi and Shiho took place before she got shot, and that after she was shot, she died. 

I will add the car and upload some of your pictures if you don't mind. I have done all but point three on the Akemi one. I am still trying to figure out point three.

Ugh, photobucket. That site makes saving pictures so obnoxious. It doesn't let you right click and you have to enable a million scripts to see the image. I'm going to have to try something else because I don't want to printscreen and crop 15 times.

I will add the car and upload some of your pictures if you don't mind. I have done all but point three on the Akemi one. I am still trying to figure out point three.

Ugh, photobucket. That site makes saving pictures so obnoxious. It doesn't let you right click and you have to enable a million scripts to see the image. I'm going to have to try something else because I don't want to printscreen and crop 15 times.

sure you can use the images

also, if you want, I can upload them elsewhere if it would be easier

I just use photobucked for my own convince since for me it is a quick way

of getting photos, getting the quick link, and then getting them to a forum

do I need to explain the point three that I wrote above? or are you just trying to figure out how to write it better?

also, if you want, I can upload them elsewhere if it would be easier

I just use photobucked for my own convince since for me it is a quick way

of getting photos, getting the quick link, and then getting them to a forum

do I need to explain the point three that I wrote above? or are you just trying to figure out how to write it better?

I recommend imgur highly. It lets you batch upload quickly, which is what I did with the postcards and doesn't make downloading hard.

I don't know if this qualifies for your article, but maybe the biggest plothole over the whole series is the timeline. It has been made clear that it hasn't been one year yet since Shinichi was shrunken, but there have already been a few winters and things like this:

• Valentine Murder Case: 14th February
  • Serial bomber case (the one Matsuda couldn't solve): 6th January
  • White Day murder case: 14th March

All of this, in this order, just can't happen in one year. There have also been many summer holidays. I'm sure more of these examples could be found with cases like:

• The 20 years old murderous intent (I think the date has been mentioned in this case, but I'd have to read it or watch it)
  • Eri's birthday case (10th October, if I'm not mistaken)
  • Butsumetsu case (I think the date was also mentioned in this one)
  • Metropolitan love story 9 (According to the newspaper dates, I think they were around the middle weeks of November).
  • Jodie's Hanami case (Sakuras bloom around the end of March and beginning of April in the middle region of Japan. They bloom in the beginnings of March in Okinawa and nearing the last days of April in Hokkaido)
  • Ebisu Bridge drug trading case (I'm not really sure if it mentions the current date, but I think it said January. I'd have to check it)

Sorry for not ordering them chronologically. Besides, all cases with winter like the kamaitachi and the unmashablen snowman should take place during winter, which is near the end of December and first months of the year in Japan. I hope this applies for the oversights article.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this qualifies for your article, but maybe the biggest plothole over the whole series is the timeline. It has been made clear that it hasn't been one year yet since Shinichi was shrunken, but there have already been a few winters and things like this:

• Valentine Murder Case: 14th February
  • Serial bomber case (the one Matsuda couldn't solve): 6th January
  • White Day murder case: 14th March

All of this, in this order, just can't happen in one year. There have also been many summer holidays. I'm sure more of these examples could be found with cases like:

• The 20 years old murderous intent (I think the date has been mentioned in this case, but I'd have to read it or watch it)
  • Eri's birthday case (10th October, if I'm not mistaken)
  • Butsumetsu case (I think the date was also mentioned in this one)
  • Metropolitan love story 9 (According to the newspaper dates, I think they were around the middle weeks of November).
  • Jodie's Hanami case (Sakuras bloom around the end of March and beginning of April in the middle region of Japan. They bloom in the beginnings of March in Okinawa and nearing the last days of April in Hokkaido)
  • Ebisu Bridge drug trading case (I'm not really sure if it mentions the current date, but I think it said January. I'd have to check it)

Sorry for not ordering them chronologically. Besides, all cases with winter like the kamaitachi and the unmashablen snowman should take place during winter, which is near the end of December and first months of the year in Japan. I hope this applies for the oversights article.

Is it worth creating a full list of all of these types of things?

Has anyone already attempted this?

adding to the list

- The newspaper date in Chapter 1 of the manga is Jan 12, 1994

- The first Yoko case is 3 days later according to Conan, another 3 days passes at the end of the case

- The wedding photo for Matsumoto's Daughter's wedding at the end of the case is "3 years later" 

- The Fugitive takes place on New Years day

- Clash is said to be in January

- Akai "died" on Friday the 13th, presumably also January. 

- The Date Wataru case takes place in February, the anniversary of his death

- Takagi and Sato visit Date's grave at the end of the case and say its one month later

- the Tori festival case takes place in November when the festival happens 

It would be pretty interesting if any of these oversights end up being intentional :P

This is something that I noticed:

Volume 47: File 1-5

Ran, suspicious of Conan after sending an email to Shinichi and seeing Conan's phone vibrating directly pointed out the fact that Conan's childish observations lead the detectives on the right track during a case. After Conan solves the case and he manages to foil Ran into thinking that Conan is Conan. Ran, during the next case that she is present in stops making those observations straight away to the point where she joins in on being completely clueless, that Conan has no merit during investigations again.

According to Sherry's Soliloquies Gosho admits to a few mistakes

File 813 4-14-2012 Kumogakure Saizou, oops… ♥ The correct (name) is Kirigakure Saizou! This is a typo (laughs)

File 823 7-01-2012 Why don't those of you who are not busy try painting the missing part on page 2?

Sonoko's Shirt does magic tricks with her arm (image from Kor at DCTP spoiler box)

Bowling alley case from volume 81, File 10

qNpbMcq.png

Its later fixed in the volume release

sonokoshirt.png

Probably mine wont have any impact as everyone must have noticed it watching the anime cause i have'nt read this manga yet

Courtroom Confrontation (One of my Best Episodes Don't Know whether this episodes are connected to manga)

- Conan making all deduction ( You Can See Him Easily in the Courtroom).

some more like that everyone would know what anime has done...

Probably mine wont have any impact as everyone must have noticed it watching the anime cause i have'nt read this manga yet

Courtroom Confrontation (One of my Best Episodes Don't Know whether this episodes are connected to manga)

- Conan making all deduction ( You Can See Him Easily in the Courtroom).

some more like that everyone would know what anime has done...

My advice is that you use the wiki if you aren't sure since you don't read the manga: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Anime

It would also help if you check the corresponding manga file for each episode and see if the same "error" persists. Maybe it was purely intentional?

Next... The Courtroom Confrontation cases (there are several, it helps to differentiate) are all Anime Originals. None of them are based on the manga.

Conan has had several terrible hiding spots throughout the series. It's almost like a running joke of sorts. In this instance, it really isn't anything overly suspicious, nothing out of the norm. Doesn't he just attach a speaker on Kogoro and continue the deduction?

Someone just posted something on reddit last night about Conan's "hiding spot" in File 861(Episode 745) for instance. 

wsqNOEk.png