Detective Conan World
Silverbullet96

Why do some people not like Shiho ?

Apart from the fact that some people want Shiho to be involved with Shinichi romantically at Ran's expenses, I don't have anything against her, would even liked her as a character quite a lot, if only those ideas of kicking out Ran and replacing her with Shiho as Shinichi's girlfriend were not so annoying. In my opinion, dumping the first love for somebody else is always a bad idea.

Apart from the fact that some people want Shiho to be involved with Shinichi romantically at Ran's expenses, I don't have anything against her, would even liked her as a character quite a lot, if only those ideas of kicking out Ran and replacing her with Shiho as Shinichi's girlfriend were not so annoying. In my opinion, dumping the first love for somebody else is always a bad idea.

It's not a bad idea if you love that "somebody else" even more than your first love.

You  sound pretty naive for a 28 year old.

You  sound pretty naive for a 28 year old.

Naive? Why? And even if it's true, so what?

It's not a bad idea if you love that "somebody else" even more than your first love.

I don't really want to argue about that not to sound disrespectful, but that is often a good excuse for Hollywood-actor-style womanizers. I don't respect people who change their partners often except for reasons like if they cheated, committed a serious crime etc. I don't buy the argument of "freedom" and "I just feel like changing a partner not to be bored".

Naive? Why? And even if it's true, so what?

I don't really want to argue about that not to sound disrespectful, but that is often a good excuse for Hollywood-actor-style womanizers. I don't respect people who change their partners often except for reasons like if they cheated, committed a serious crime etc. I don't buy the argument of "freedom" and "I just feel like changing a partner not to be bored".

You sound like a virgin now...

You are talking as if "virgin" was an insult. What are you, a macho? I won't continue this kind of discussion out of respect to the moderators. You make a fool of yourself alone.

You are talking as if "virgin" was an insult. What are you, a macho? I won't continue this kind of discussion out of respect to the moderators. You make a fool of yourself alone.

Uh-huh, righttt...

I don't hate her, but it's so annoying how she doesn't tell anyone anything of the vast amount of information she has on the BO.

Despite her being one of my favorite characters in the series, I'd have to say this is definitely annoying, and she usually only brings something up when it's suddenly relevant to Shinichi's case. It makes you almost question if she really is intent on bringing down the organization. I suppose this is probably more or less how Gosho decides to stall plot progression though.

I've noticed a genuine dislike of her character particularly from some Shin/Ran fans, but it's not as if Conan/Ai as a romantic interest will ever exist in canon. I don't see why other's thoughts on that pairing in particular should take away from her character.

I've found her character back-story and development a bit more interesting in comparison to the other characters in the series.

• Upvote 1

Despite her being one of my favorite characters in the series, I'd have to say this is definitely annoying, and she usually only brings something up when it's suddenly relevant to Shinichi's case. It makes you almost question if she really is intent on bringing down the organization. I suppose this is probably more or less how Gosho decides to stall plot progression though.

I've noticed a genuine dislike of her character particularly from some Shin/Ran fans, but it's not as if Conan/Ai as a romantic interest will ever exist in canon. I don't see why other's thoughts on that pairing in particular should take away from her character.

I've found her character back-story and development a bit more interesting in comparison to the other characters in the series.

I agree with this. I admit I am a little biased in being too influenced by the hypothetical Conan/Ai pairing, it's just I am too sensitive about the "first love" argument, especially the "childhood" one that I consider my ideal. But by herself Ai is quite an interesting and nice character.

Normally I'd just outright delete this, but I figure this is a perfect example of what NOT to post as a response in a discussion, or on any forum in general. Drop this attitude. Don't comment if you don't have anything constructive to add other than flamebaits and personal attacks. We don't need this crap.

• Upvote 6

Anyway, on topic, I personally get annoyed with Shiho for the same reason I am annoyed with Shinichi - she keeps secrets she shouldn't because she fails to trust others and in doing so causes unnecessary danger to those around her by not offering up information in a timely manner. While I understand that she may have psychological damage from being in the Organization and good reason to think Shinichi might run off and get himself killed if she tells him too much, it would behoove her to explain all the capabilities of Organization members to Conan immediately and not hide her suspicions if she fears she is being investigated. For instance, the moment she sensed Vermouth she should have explained to Conan that they might be dealing with a master of disguise. Conan would have been more careful around Araide (and everyone else in general) from the start and avoided a great deal of trouble.

• Upvote 5

Exactly, in my alternate Vermouth story, I was going to have Yoko Vermouth attempting to make moves to kill Ai once she had her alone, only to have it be revealed to be Conan in disguise (like the Halloween case), since it was obvious that after she got the BO scent from her in the hotel, we would realize that she had told Conan all he needed to know, yet he still finds himself in a tight spot

• Upvote 1

I'm not even talking about that. I just said if you sincerely love the 'other' person more than your first love, then it would make sense if you go for them.

I agree with what Reverend Balthazar and Chekhov said.

If you sincerely love the 'other' person more than your first love, then it would make sense if you go for them?

That's true. If you're referring to Detective Conan, though, specifically in relation to Shinichi and Ran (and I don't know if you were, or not, so that's why I'm typing this), then that's not right—Shinichi's first love was, and his only love has been, Ran (His mantra of thinking of only her name when he thinks she's in danger, his blushes are the most red around her and his embarrassment the most profound around her, his devastation when he thinks Ran has fallen for Araide and jealousy when another man flirts with or even suggests getting together with her, etc.). He's completely oblivious to Shiho's/Ai's love for him—I suppose someone could find that unlikable about her, but it's in line with her personality, and then there's how awkward Shinichi/Conan would feel... it's already awkward enough for him with Ayumi crushing on him.

I think that most of the people who don't like her are people who ship ShinichixRan, and lack the emotional maturity to not automatically go against what they think is a threat to their ship (Die for Our Ship; tv tropes)—and honestly, there is no doubt that Shinichi will end up with Ran when all's said and done. Shiho/Ai has maintained that she doesn't want Shinichi/Conan to find out that she has feelings for him, and thinks that he doesn't even realize it, either... and he doesn't. Her dropping hints about her being a shark and Ran being a dolphin and her wanting to be able to compete, and her attitude towards Ran before Volume 31 and even Volume 42 fly right over Shinichi's/Conan's head—again, he's completely oblivious.

There are probably also those who don't like her attitude, even if one considers her prior experiences and how her life, in general, has been.

I'm not even talking about that. I just said if you sincerely love the 'other' person more than your first love, then it would make sense if you go for them.

Yes, if that's the case. But I think it's very sad when such a thing happens (when somebody gets over their first love) and I wouldn't certainly like this to happen in DC (but it's just my personal opinion; again, I don't want to sound arrogant or provoking/disrespectful).

I agree with what Reverend Balthazar and Chekhov said.

That's true. If you're referring to Detective Conan, though, specifically in relation to Shinichi and Ran (and I don't know if you were, or not, so that's why I'm typing this), then that's not right—Shinichi's first love was, and his only love has been, Ran (His mantra of thinking of only her name when he thinks she's in danger, his blushes are the most red around her and his embarrassment the most profound around her, his devastation when he thinks Ran has fallen for Araide and jealousy when another man flirts with or even suggests getting together with her, etc.). He's completely oblivious to Shiho's/Ai's love for him—I suppose someone could find that unlikable about her, but it's in line with her personality, and then there's how awkward Shinichi/Conan would feel... it's already awkward enough for him with Ayumi crushing on him.

I just said if he started having stronger feelings for Ai than Ran then it would make sense & be better for him to go after Ai. It's probably not going to happen in the series really, but if it were real life I'd like to think Conan would have fallen for Ai by now, since imo the only reason he likes Ran is because she's pretty. He started liking her the 1st time after seeing her pretty face/smile, and their lack of chemistry suggests they couldn't really talk & interact with each other well enough for Shinichi to know too much about her personality except that she's kind & a good girl blah blah.

imo the only reason he likes Ran is because she's pretty.

Thank you for putting "in my opinion," here... but that's not something I can agree with.

He started liking her the 1st time after seeing her pretty face/smile, and their lack of chemistry suggests they couldn't really talk & interact with each other well enough for Shinichi to know too much about her personality.

They've known each other for 13 years. Shiho/Ai? Less than a year, given that File 882 established that it was less than a year between the Aquarium flashback case and Ran's, Shinichi's/Conan's, Shiho's/Ai's and the Detective Boys' visit to the Aquarium. It's only in File 1, when, again, they've already known each other for 13 years, that they are (one-sidedly) separated. It was her smiling face, not her pretty face, as you put it, that "strummed [his] heartstrings." They both have similar moral beliefs, and the catalyst for Ran falling in love with, or realizing she was in love with Shinichi was because he said "why would you need a reason to save someone?" In their trip to New York, she saved the lives of two murderers, in spite of the consequences—which is what Shinichi would've done—and Shinichi wouldn't have even been able to make his speech if she hadn't saved Vermouth.

she's kind & a good girl blah blah.

It's not wise to write this off—this is why Shinichi's in love with her. Their similar beliefs bring them very close—in fact, they have an empathic link... that's how strong their feelings are for each other.

Don't get me wrong—I like the relationship between Shinichi/Conan and Shiho/Ai. It has the chemistry like you mentioned, and their personalities are very similar—they're both sharks. I'd like for the relationship between Ran and Shiho/Ai to be explored more—so many people on both sides of this shipping war nonsense act as if they're enemies. They really should interact more.

I think the group that actively dislikes Shiho/Ai wouldn't if they'd let go of the stupidity of disliking a certain character because of their relation to what they're shipping.

• Upvote 1

They've known each other for 13 years. Shiho/Ai? Less than a year, given that File 882 established that it was less than a year between the Aquarium flashback case and Ran's, Shinichi's/Conan's, Shiho's/Ai's and the Detective Boys' visit to the Aquarium. It's only in File 1, when, again, they've already known each other for 13 years, that they are (one-sidedly) separated. It was her smiling face, not her pretty face, as you put it, that "strummed [his] heartstrings." They both have similar moral beliefs, and the catalyst for Ran falling in love with, or realizing she was in love with Shinichi was because he said "why would you need a reason to save someone?" In their trip to New York, she saved the lives of two murderers, in spite of the consequences—which is what Shinichi would've done—and Shinichi wouldn't have even been able to make his speech if she hadn't saved Vermouth.

Do they ? You gave an example of it in your post itself, whenever Ran does/says some heroic thing, most of the times she says she did it because she thought "Shinichi would have done it" who knows what she wanted to do.

It's not wise to write this off—this is why Shinichi's in love with her. Their similar beliefs bring them very close—in fact, they have an empathic link... that's how strong their feelings are for each other.

I don't think that factored too much. Like I said, they both can barely hold a proper conversation, I doubt Shinichi got to know too much about her beliefs or personality.

Don't get me wrong—I like the relationship between Shinichi/Conan and Shiho/Ai. It has the chemistry like you mentioned, and their personalities are very similar—they're both sharks. I'd like for the relationship between Ran and Shiho/Ai to be explored more—so many people on both sides of this shipping war nonsense act as if they're enemies. They really should interact more.

No they're not. If you want an example of two similar personalities then there's Hachiman & Yukinoshita from Oregairu. They're both the 'cool' type, but I don't ship them because they're so similar. Ai & Conan are not similar. Can't say they're poles apart, but the two poles are not the only two personality types out there, neither are sharks & dolphins.

Like I said, they both can barely hold a proper conversation, I doubt Shinichi got to know too much about her beliefs or personality.

Why have you got the impression they can barely hold a proper conversation? That's an exaggeration imo. Just because their relationship is in a tense situation because Shinichi is "absent" and Ran is so nervous, doesn't mean they didn't communicate in normal circumstances. And it's impossible Shinichi doesn't know about her personality, they have grown up together after all.

Why have you got the impression they can barely hold a proper conversation? That's an exaggeration imo. Just because their relationship is in a tense situation because Shinichi is "absent" and Ran is so nervous, doesn't mean they didn't communicate in normal circumstances. And it's impossible Shinichi doesn't know about her personality, they have grown up together after all.

Besides, we have seen them have many proper conversations in every flashback case so far (except maybe the preschool one, but eh, they were 4 and didn't know each other yet).

• Upvote 1

Do they ? You gave an example of it in your post itself, whenever Ran does/says some heroic thing, most of the times she says she did it because she thought "Shinichi would have done it" who knows what she wanted to do.

I think it's pretty clear that while Shinichi and Ran do share the same beliefs, that Ran doesn't do everything because "that's what Shinichi would do". 

The New York Case is an example of course, and Ran acted without hesitation to save both Sharon and Rose. Shinichi's quote in that file is exactly what Ran believes, that you don't need a reason.

I suppose it's a problem because it can be presented ambiguously throughout the series, like in the Besieged Detective Agency, or in File 313 where she does say something similar to "Shinichi wouldn't have, or sounds like something Shinichi would've said etc.", but regardless of the presentation, It's not as if she does everything because of Shinichi. It's just because they have so much common ground and that the quote in the New York case is very special to her.

Besides, we have seen them have many proper conversations in every flashback case so far (except maybe the preschool one, but eh, they were 4 and didn't know each other yet).

They haven't had one. All of their 'conversations' so far in the series have literally mostly been their mushy moments, fights, or where Shinichi is rambling about his cases or showing off his detective side (The Aquarium case), they rarely have a conversation as equals and can't imagine them having one, because they lack good chemistry and have nothing in common, the only reason they even hung out together since their childhood was because 1)They didn't have many good friends. 2)Shinichi liked Ran. Even in their flashback episodes you can really deduct how most of their interaction in their childhood went, it's just Shinichi leading their little adventures and Ran is simply tagging along with him for some reason.