Detective Conan World
Obelisk

Do You Feel Like Detective Conan is a Popular Anime Outside Japan?

Well, I mean obviously it's popular. Although, it doesn't seem to have a huge fan base like other anime that are currently airing. Examples: One Piece, Naruto, Bleach etc.

Almost everyone that says they watch anime that I've met online usually watches attack on titan, sword art online, naruto etc. Never really any mention of Detective Conan. I mean this wikipedia and DCW is an amazing website and without it I would be completely lost navigating through DC but for a series that has been going this long you would think it would have a bigger following right? I mean it's just sort of lame when no one you really know watches DC -_-   This is easily one of my favorite anime and it's still on going and it kinda sucks that it's not more popular than it already is. I mean, the episode count and the amount of filler most likely scares people away but again the big 3 shounen series appear to be gaining popularity still. Anyways, I guess that's my opinion. What do you guys think?

I don't think it's very popular, but then again I also don't feel like it deserves to be any more well known than it already is.  In my opinion, there are far better anime out there that deserve much more attention (whether they receive it or not is a separate issue all together) and currently DC gets as much love as it is worth.  It's far from the best thing I've watched/read, but it's also far from the worst.  Only reason I see it as better than average is because of nostalgia.  As for the big three shounen, Naruto is over (kinda), no one really gives Bleach the light of day anymore, and the only thing worth any attention is One Piece.  Their reign on the anime community is crumbling, that's for sure.

A bit off topic, but anime is nothing like it used it be over a decade and a half ago.  No one wants to watch a never ending series, so those have been virtually snuffed out of existence.  The age of fansubs are coming to an end now that Crunchyroll and Funimation have monopolized the market.  The times they are a-changin', for better or worse.  

• Upvote 5

I don't think it's been overwhelmingly mainstream or anything like that, not outside of Japan, but it's always been a fairly popular series. It even had a very short run on television in the U.S, even if it were at a crappy time-slot. 

It's my favorite, and really the only anime I watch, but I wouldn't say that it *needs* to be more popular than what it is. It obviously has massive success in Japan, and I think there is a pretty solid following in other countries. I mean we haven't really seen "Case Closed" in 10 years in the U.S (not counting Crunchyroll), and even then it had a really short run.

It's a completely subjective matter, but obviously the length has something to do with it. VIZ's manga releases are incredibly far behind Japan, and even though Crunchyroll recently picked up "Case Closed", it picked it up right at 754. That's not exactly a good spot for newcomers to pick up the series, and the amount of legal content available to foreign viewers is minimal. Just in the way it's been marketed and distributed, I can't see any reason why it should be as popular as it is outside of Japan. I feel it's in a good spot for what it's worth.

honestly.. in my country... sadly .. they think its a below 10's kind of CARTOON T^T 

its almost like i am the only one who watches it till episode 700+ .. when i said i am currently watching DC.. people will laugh and make fun of me.. and so far.. the ones whom i met online.. none of em knows what Detective Conan is.. it feels so alone.. but.... 

i dont care T^T i love DC since i was 7 and i am 19 now... i will always love DC all my life !! 

not regretting it !! 

its a good series and will always be on my top spot !! 

honestly.. in my country... sadly .. they think its a below 10's kind of CARTOON T^T 

Really? That's quite a narrow view, and I wouldn't recommend the show to such a young demographic. Not even for violence or mature themes, but I know I would have had a hard time trying to comprehend what was going on at such a young age. Not to mention there's even a dismembered corpse in one of the earlier episodes. It's toned down quite a bit, but when it aired in the U.S it carried a TV-14 rating, and I think a few episodes were marked as TV-MA. 

I suppose I can see why someone might say that, had they never seen the show before.

I think that having VIZ media regularly pumping out manga volumes in English says enough, they even gave up on Gintama which I believe has sold more volumes on average

I can't speak from personal experience though, manga and anime doesn't have much of an influence in Australia at all

its almost like i am the only one who watches it till episode 700+ .. when i said i am currently watching DC.. people will laugh and make fun of me.. and so far.. the ones whom i met online.. none of em knows what Detective Conan is.. it feels so alone.. but.... 

i dont care T^T i love DC since i was 7 and i am 19 now... i will always love DC all my life !! 

not regretting it !! 

its a good series and will always be on my top spot !!

Eyearthing that you said applies perfectly for my country... so I know how you feel T^T

Really? That's quite a narrow view, and I wouldn't recommend the show to such a young demographic. Not even for violence or mature themes, but I know I would have had a hard time trying to comprehend what was going on at such a young age. Not to mention there's even a dismembered corpse in one of the earlier episodes. It's toned down quite a bit, but when it aired in the U.S it carried a TV-14 rating, and I think a few episodes were marked as TV-MA. 

I suppose I can see why someone might say that, had they never seen the show before.

I think you are quite right, but what I remember watching on the TV in Arabic dub was slightly different from the real story. Plus, some of the episodes weren't even aired on it.

Laat time I checked, they were on episode 400-ish, and I can't believe how I watched it because nothing about the FBI was even hinted (as I remembered)

• Upvote 1

Eyearthing that you said applies perfectly for my country... so I know how you feel T^T

I think you are quite right, but what I remember watching on the TV in Arabic dub was slightly different from the real story. Plus, some of the episodes weren't even aired on it.

Laat time I checked, they were on episode 400-ish, and I can't believe how I watched it because nothing about the FBI was even hinted (as I remembered)

Yup, the Arabic dub is really horrible, it changes a lot of things, and many of them are important plot clues, and there are many contradictions later in the story. I had to re-watch all the plot-related episodes to understand everything.

Yup, the Arabic dub is really horrible, it changes a lot of things, and many of them are important plot clues, and there are many contradictions later in the story. I had to re-watch all the plot-related episodes to understand everything.

Ya me too.

It was actually a waste of time to watch it :/

Thats why I don't watch Arabic dubbed animes anymore, if I find it interesting I do my research to find it's Japanese name :D

I don't think Conan is as popular in the Western countries as in the Eastern and I can see that it might be due to a lot of codes and references not comprehensible to people who don't know Asian culture or languages as well. Some of codes can only be understood by people who are familiar with the Japanese language, not other east Asian languages. I can only understand codes that are relevant to kanji since I know Chinese. Anyways, Conan is popular enough in Japan (more as in an everyday show that everyone has heard of but doesn't have extensive knowledge of it). It has a very large fan base in China (almost every single recurring chara has a tieba created for him/her on baidu *rolls eyes). Many of their online video streamers also play Conan, and I think one or two actually bought the rights to stream it in China. The manga has at least two groups regularly translating it; they also translate interviews and many other relevant stuff. Conan is also fairly popular in Taiwan (Conan movie every year and it always sits in the top tens, maybe top fives?, for the first few weeks).

Even if things went smoothly here in the US, I still don't think DC would be popular here like Naruto, One Piece, etc. Honestly, maybe if it geared more towards the BO on a bigger scale, then maybe it would have somewhat of a following here (enough to get a decent time slot.) But the eng dub made the show cheesy, IMO. Plus, if you look at a lot of anime that's prospered here, DC barely fits in with that. I think that's why you see animes do better in certain countries. People here grew up with DBZ, Bebop, YYH, etc. Despite the dub, I really enjoyed DC in the beginning, but idk the whole Ran thing ruins it for me. Chasing a badass organization while having a girl who's "waiting" for you back home, lol c'mon. The love aspect really isn't needed, it must gear towards hopeless romantics. 

i'm from Egypt , Due to channel Called "Spacetoon"  which dubbed it to arabic  we all Arab got to know it , it's extremely popular over Arab world.

now 

western direction is for Asia

anime ,songs ,etc!  

Detective Conan was quite popular in my country(Malaysia) a few years ago because various channels aired it on a daily basis. Everyone around my age knows who Conan is. It's funny bc everyone of my friends would ask me, "Hey, does Ran know Shinichi's identity yet?" or "When is DC going to end?" since I'm the only one who follows the anime to the latest episode. xD

Well, I doubt that the young generation (those who are born in the year 2010+) here actually knows this anime today bc they stopped airing it. :(

It's not particularly well-liked in my opinion, but then again, I don't think it merits to be much more well-known than it already is.  In my opinion, there are many superior anime out there that merit far more attention (whether they do or not is a completely different matter altogether), and DC currently receives all the praise it deserves.  But it's also a long way from being the worst thing I've seen or read.  It's only because I'm nostalgic that I consider it to be above average.  Concerning the "big three" shounen, One Piece is the only one that still merits any attention. Naruto has already been resolved (kind of), Bleach is no longer a popular show.  

Here are some examples of sentences containing ‘Notwithstanding’. It can give you a better view of understanding prepositions that start with ‘N’ using ‘Notwithstanding’. You have to take care of its proper and perfect use.