Detective Conan World
Alyssa225

Why didn't Vermouth kill Akai in NY?

So Vermouth disguised as a serial killer in NY to lure Akai out and kill him right? But there's this one scene where Vermouth encountered Akai and instead of killing him, she fled and was shot by Akai and she fell down the stairs. My question is, why didn't she just kill him? She was supposed to kill him! Or did I miss something? 

those details you saw in the anime was anime original content, so it cannot be counted as a real story scene! the manga only mentioned that she was shot by him during her mission!

• Upvote 1

I only remember the manga version of the scene well. Here is what was going on.

Vermouth was told to kill Akai, because the boss feared Akai might become a silver bullet. (Gin mentioned this was her mission at some later point, forget where now.) Vermouth disguised as a long silver haired Japanese serial killer.

One thing that isn't clear is whether there already was a real serial killer matching that description, or if the man was a character Vermouth made up and committed a murder spree to create. My impression is that the silver haired serial killer was someone Vermouth made up because she wanted him to look like Gin to arouse Akai's interest. It would be much more of a pain in the butt to locate a real serial killer before the police and hold a dangerous guy alive for sacrificing than it would be to make your own after finding a suitable look-alike victim who wasn't criminal by nature.

Anyway, she lured Akai out while disguised hoping to get a chance to kill him, but either Akai figured out the ruse or was simply too good and shot her before she could get him. Vermouth was forced to flee and stage a suicide. Before she could stage the suicide, she encountered Shinichi in the building and then fled from him and ran into Ran...

• Upvote 2

I only remember the manga version of the scene well. Here is what was going on.

Vermouth was told to kill Akai, because the boss feared Akai might become a silver bullet. (Gin mentioned this was her mission at some later point, forget where now.) Vermouth disguised as a long silver haired Japanese serial killer.

One thing that isn't clear is whether there already was a real serial killer matching that description, or if the man was a character Vermouth made up and committed a murder spree to create. My impression is that the silver haired serial killer was someone Vermouth made up because she wanted him to look like Gin to arouse Akai's interest. It would be much more of a pain in the butt to locate a real serial killer before the police and hold a dangerous guy alive for sacrificing than it would be to make your own after finding a suitable look-alike victim who wasn't criminal by nature.

Anyway, she lured Akai out while disguised hoping to get a chance to kill him, but either Akai figured out the ruse or was simply too good and shot her before she could get him. Vermouth was forced to flee and stage a suicide. Before she could stage the suicide, she encountered Shinichi in the building and then fled from him and ran into Ran...

At the end of ep345(the anime version), after Vermouth was shot by Akai and took conan as a hostage, she sat in the phone booth and called Gin. I remember her saying "if i knew it'd be a tie between me and Akai, I would've killed him in NY." It sounded like she had a choice. Or maybe it's a problem with the translation. And in the anime, when she encountered Akai, she had a gun and she could've shot him, but she fled instead. And that happened before she met Shinichi and Ran ... So I was confused why she didn't just kill him. She knew he was gonna be a threat to the organisation and she knew she was on a mission to kill him.

At the end of ep345(the anime version), after Vermouth was shot by Akai and took conan as a hostage, she sat in the phone booth and called Gin. I remember her saying "if i knew it'd be a tie between me and Akai, I would've killed him in NY." It sounded like she had a choice. Or maybe it's a problem with the translation. And in the anime, when she encountered Akai, she had a gun and she could've shot him, but she fled instead. And that happened before she met Shinichi and Ran ... So I was confused why she didn't just kill him. She knew he was gonna be a threat to the organisation and she knew she was on a mission to kill him.

tU2xlpB.jpg

I am getting the strongest impression she tried to kill Akai but miscalculated.

The only reason Vermouth wouldn't kill Akai is because she wanted a silver bullet, but didn't have one she liked better yet (Conan). She tried pretty hard to shoot Akai in the showdown with Jodie, so I don't think Vermouth has nice feelings towards Akai.

• Upvote 1