Detective Conan World
Napshot64

Ace Attorney / Gyakuten Saiban

I saw this game on the Wii shop channel, and I never looked back. I've played through all except the Miles Edgeworth game (which I'm in Turnabout Reminiscence now). I looked it up on the threads, and the most I found was someone mentioning that they listened to its soundtrack recently. I figured; why not influence DC fans into the courtroom?

I'm planning to go to Law school after college and become a prosecutor in criminal court (no, not food court).

This will serve as a fan club type thing, so feel free to talk about favorite characters, cases, etc.

My Favorite character is Godot from Trials and Tribulations (The Third game. I love coffee, I wanna be a prosecutor, and I'm a Holmes fan (I say this because he quotes Holmes on multiple occasions). I laugh at every pun he makes, even if it's not funny, because he has the same train of thought I do.

My favorite case, from all of the games, is the final case of T&T (No spoilers)

If I could Kill off any characters from the game...:

Jean Armstrong

Wendy Oldbag (She wasn't bad at first, but (spoiler, kinda) you see her in three cases in the Gyakuten series.

Spark Brushel (From Apollo Justice)

Redd White

April May

Payne (Bad hair and annoying voice)

Bikini (From final case of T&T. Always laughing!)

Max Galactica (Billy Bob Johns)

Apollo Justice (His expressions kill me, and NO ONE can replace Phoenix Wright!)

If you have any other discussions than what I've given, feel free to chat about. Spread the word, and maybe one day, more PW threads will be on DC World!

Yes, it is indeed quite lonely here. And I believe I understand what you mean when you say that detective games don't usually work. And I agree with statements stating that games like this are nothing more than an intellectually interactive graphic-novel. However, I enjoy it, and so do many other otakus. In fact, it's been reported multiple times that we've re-played through the game and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Of course, your opinion is your opinion. I'm in no place to argue, and I'm certainly not trying to be rude. After all, in a court of law, the judge should not pass judgement until every stone is turned and every testimony is cross-examined. I rest my case.

I'm planning to go to Law school after college and become a prosecutor in criminal court (no, not food court)

That's great :grin:! I want to go to law school to. But at the same time I want to become a doctor and a cook :mellow: what to do :unsure: ?

I'm a Phoenix Wright fan too :-D but don't kill Apollo. :-( He is a nice guy, play or at least watch the 4th game and you'll see. My opinion was just like yours when AJ first came out but I wanted to see what it was about and I watched it (a walkthrough) it was interesting and his facial expressions are hilarious plus Phoenix Wright is considered as LEGENDARY!! HELLO? Nothing beats legendary!

Check out my sig! Do you like it? Glad I'm not the only AA fan on here.

If you feel lonely about the lack of PW fans, check out Court Records and Case Files. They are both awesome Fan pages (as in REALLY GOOD fan pages, I'm sure you'll be able to find me by my sig on there :) ). :D

As I said on my post for the Kingdom Hearts thread, it's my all time favorite game next to Gyakuten Saiban (meaning this is my number 1 fave) :)

I do understand that not all people get what's there to hype about in this game but to those who love this game, I'm pretty sure all of you will never say no to Phoenix and Miles Edgeworth. Yes, they're my favorite especially Edgeworth. His personality in and out of court is very interesting. I like how complex his friendship with Wright is. I'm also glad there's Apollo Justice. This game will never be the same without these three. Add in Franziska on the mix and it's pure entertainment!

I'm starting Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (the first one, for the DS) right now.  No, seriously, like, in a few minutes.

Well, I'll see how it goes, as a friend of mine recommended it to me and I have confidence in her opinion.

Ah, this is where this topic went!  Disappeared on me for a few months.

I've finished the first Ace Attorney game and am almost done with Justice for All.  I was working on the last turnabout when my game froze while saving and now I have to start from the beginning of the turnabout and do everything all over again!  Extremely frustrated considering I had gotten really far...

Oh yes, but I adore the series.  Wish I had started it sooner, and I'm not sure why I didn't take the hint from the occasional references I saw on this site over the years.  I even have an Ace Attorney t-shirt now!  I'll probably finished the main trilogy, Apollo Justice, and that Investigations spin-off before school starts up again.  As for Dual Destinies, I'll buy that once I get my 3DS back from my parents...... 

REVIVE TOPIC

Predictions

This person dies after or in the middle of the first case. (You might not want to look at this one...)

RIP Mia Fey 2.0

Kazuma Asōgi is so dead that Ryuunosuke takes his hairband and wraps it around his sword in memory of his comrade. Also Kazuma has a star on his collar but not Ryuunosuke. Ryuunosuke has a hat with a star, so maybe it winds up there.

AsogiKazuma.pngRyuunosuke_Naruhodou.png

Ryunnosuke.png

Someone gets stabbed to death with a sword.

Ancestor of Charley appears. In fact, I think I might see it in Ryuunosuke's attic room on the left side if that isn't a mop.

Baroque Bangieks ...

...is an Edgeworth ancestor. The hair is similar, sort of like how Ryuunosuke Naruhodou has a jaggy hairline (/\/\/\/\) like Phoenix Wright. Not to mention Baroque has the cravat version alpha. What convinced me he wasn't a Karma was the armwave bow. lilmiles-bowwest.gif He also wears a belt buckle decorated with swords. Edgeworth/Mitsurugi has a sword motif because of his name. Swords in general seem to be a thing in this game, but Baroque goes beyond simply having one.

Baroque_OA.pngEdgeworthGK2.PNG

Ryuunosuke_Naruhodou.pngPLvsPWAA_Wright.png

That slash across Baroque's face is relevant to a case in his past. Maybe his daddy got killed by....

...Moriarty as the final boss. (If we are lucky we get a sniper Moran too. And a Jack the Ripper, just because.)

Things that bother me.

Kazuma wears his armband on the opposite side as Ryuunosuke. Payne wears his on the same arm as Kazuma, but it may be that prosecutors go in reverse anyway. Why the difference? I don't think Kazuma is left handed because in the game play sample he looks to be drawing his sword with his right hand.

I can't help but notice Baroque's face looks a lot like Kazuma's if you slicked the hair back and greyed it. Are they maybe related?

Baroque's clocktower office has suits of armor that look a heck of a lot like the ones from Gant/Lana's office in Rise from the Ashes. Those suits are bad news IMO...

Name Guesses (All in Western order - Given Family)

Apparently a tradition for AA fans to do this. I never knew. -Quick Note: I'm not buying the theories saying the Japan half will be set in Japanifornia and that Japanese characters with get anglicized names.

Honosuke Raito for Ryūnosuke Naruhodō - - He keeps a Japanese sounding name because he is obviously Japanese. Honoo (Hono for our western tastes) is for "fire" and nosuke is for the "herald of". He's the fire herald, and also a reference to the fire phoenix Houou. As a translation benefit, if any unavoidably draconic puns must be made, they can reference fire breathing. Raito is Wright backromanized. When the ancestor naturalized, he switched his name to an English-natural spelling like many immigrants do.

Ichi Ouchi for Taketsuchi Auchi - Ouchi makes the pun a little more obvious and encourages English speakers to pronounce it right. Ichi sounds like "itchy" which in the context of an ouchy is unpleasant sounding - a good feeling to capture for Payne and his ilk. Ichi also means one, which makes translating Auchi's inevitable "I'm the best" boasts all that much easier.

Susa Mikotoba for Susato Mikotoba - It's a Japanese name. The given name drops the -to so it sounds a bit more feminine to western ears. Susa can pick up Susie or Susan as a nickname for English benefit. "Miko" is a fairly recognizable Japanese word (a priestess) and "Mikotoba" is fairly easy to say. The family name is unlikely to be used often since she is an assistant so it doesn't matter if it is unfamiliar.

Kaze Asōgi for Kazuma Asōgi -  This guy is tough because he will need a Japanese name. He might as well keep the original (A reference to teamwork and one truth), but I think some things can be done to make the breeze motif come out more. English-speakers, and especially Americans, are somewhat likely to know the word kaze (wind) from the suicide pilots' kamikaze (divine wind)..

Bram Valkyr for Baroque Bangieks - This is a hard one because Shu declined to name the references. Bram is from Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, since I'm getting a pretty strong vampire vibe from Baroque. I want the given name to start with a B like the Japanese counterpart. The family name needs to reference something to do with psychopomps or the underword to complete the prosecutor's theme. After drawing many blanks, I picked Valkyr, an obvious reference to Valkyries. It covers ferrying off the fallen, fighting, and flying (to reference the shadowy bird wings we saw in his intro). It also starts with a V like the Japanese counterpart (V/B being a thing in Japanese). "Prosecutor Valkyr" sounds awesome enough.

REVIVE TOPIC

Predictions

This person dies after or in the middle of the first case. (You might not want to look at this one...)

RIP Mia Fey 2.0

Kazuma Asōgi is so dead that Ryuunosuke takes his hairband and wraps it around his sword in memory of his comrade. Also Kazuma has a star on his collar but not Ryuunosuke. Ryuunosuke has a hat with a star, so maybe it winds up there.

AsogiKazuma.pngRyuunosuke_Naruhodou.png

Ryunnosuke.png

I've seen this theory make its way around the Internet.  It's kind of a shame they're falling back on killing off the mentor for plot relevancy.  I guess it would otherwise be difficult to incorporate ghosts or spirits and keep the consistency going into the chronologically later arcs.  But still, one of the biggest reasons Apollo Justice (the game, not the character) disappointed me was because the entire game felt like a condensed, alternate version of the Fey trilogy.  There were a few too many parallels that made the story feel kind of cheap.

Baroque Bangieks ...

...is an Edgeworth ancestor. The hair is similar, sort of like how Ryuunosuke Naruhodou has a jaggy hairline (/\/\/\/\) like Phoenix Wright. Not to mention Baroque has the cravat version alpha. What convinced me he wasn't a Karma was the armwave bow. lilmiles-bowwest.gif He also wears a belt buckle decorated with swords. Edgeworth/Mitsurugi has a sword motif because of his name. Swords in general seem to be a thing in this game, but Baroque goes beyond simply having one.

Baroque_OA.pngEdgeworthGK2.PNG

Ryuunosuke_Naruhodou.pngPLvsPWAA_Wright.png

That slash across Baroque's face is relevant to a case in his past. Maybe his daddy got killed by....

While I'm all for this theory, only one small thing bothers me...

Doesn't Edgeworth wear a cravat because of Manfred von Karma's influence?  It was either mentioned briefly in the main series games, or at the very least talked about in one of the Investigation games.  If Baroque is Edgeworth's ancestor, then it would make more sense if Baroque somehow influenced Edgeworth's dress attire.  Unless, Baroque influenced a von Karma ancestor who passed it down to Manfred, who passed it down to his daughter and Edgeworth, a distant relative of Baroque.

Things that bother me.

Kazuma wears his armband on the opposite side as Ryuunosuke. Payne wears his on the same arm as Kazuma, but it may be that prosecutors go in reverse anyway. Why the difference? I don't think Kazuma is left handed because in the game play sample he looks to be drawing his sword with his right hand.

From what I've seen of Japanese culture, student council armbands are exclusively on the left arm, so if anything Ryuunosuke is the odd ball out wearing it on his right arm.  Maybe it has something to do with that gauntlet on his left hand?

Name Guesses (All in Western order - Given Family)

Apparently a tradition for AA fans to do this. I never knew. -Quick Note: I'm not buying the theories saying the Japan half will be set in Japanifornia and that Japanese characters with get anglicized names.

Honosuke Raito for Ryūnosuke Naruhodō - - He keeps a Japanese sounding name because he is obviously Japanese. Honoo (Hono for our western tastes) is for "fire" and nosuke is for the "herald of". He's the fire herald, and also a reference to the fire phoenix Houou. As a translation benefit, if any unavoidably draconic puns must be made, they can reference fire breathing. Raito is Wright backromanized. When the ancestor naturalized, he switched his name to an English-natural spelling like many immigrants do.

Ichi Ouchi for Taketsuchi Auchi - Ouchi makes the pun a little more obvious and encourages English speakers to pronounce it right. Ichi sounds like "itchy" which in the context of an ouchy is unpleasant sounding - a good feeling to capture for Payne and his ilk. Ichi also means one, which makes translating Auchi's inevitable "I'm the best" boasts all that much easier.

Susa Mikotoba for Susato Mikotoba - It's a Japanese name. The given name drops the -to so it sounds a bit more feminine to western ears. Susa can pick up Susie or Susan as a nickname for English benefit. "Miko" is a fairly recognizable Japanese word (a priestess) and "Mikotoba" is fairly easy to say. The family name is unlikely to be used often since she is an assistant so it doesn't matter if it is unfamiliar.

Kaze Asōgi for Kazuma Asōgi -  This guy is tough because he will need a Japanese name. He might as well keep the original (A reference to teamwork and one truth), but I think some things can be done to make the breeze motif come out more. English-speakers, and especially Americans, are somewhat likely to know the word kaze (wind) from the suicide pilots' kamikaze (divine wind)..

Bram Valkyr for Baroque Bangieks - This is a hard one because Shu declined to name the references. Bram is from Bram Stoker, author of Dracula, since I'm getting a pretty strong vampire vibe from Baroque. I want the given name to start with a B like the Japanese counterpart. The family name needs to reference something to do with psychopomps or the underword to complete the prosecutor's theme. After drawing many blanks, I picked Valkyr, an obvious reference to Valkyries. It covers ferrying off the fallen, fighting, and flying (to reference the shadowy bird wings we saw in his intro). It also starts with a V like the Japanese counterpart (V/B being a thing in Japanese). "Prosecutor Valkyr" sounds awesome enough.

First I've ever heard of this tradition myself.  I'm just hoping for a localization, is all.  If Capcom decides to skip over this one as well because they think the localization has already dug its own grave, it would be a real pity.  Worst comes to worst, we'll bring the AAI2 translators back... 

I've seen this theory make its way around the Internet. It's kind of a shame they're falling back on killing off the mentor for plot relevancy. I guess it would otherwise be difficult to incorporate ghosts or spirits and keep the consistency going into the chronologically later arcs. But still, one of the biggest reasons Apollo Justice (the game, not the character) disappointed me was because the entire game felt like a condensed, alternate version of the Fey trilogy. There were a few too many parallels that made the story feel kind of cheap.

I am glad to hear that. I don't follow AA fan theories in much detail. If multiple people reach the same conclusion, then chances are it's right. An entire fandom guesses pretty accurately in my experience at least as far as my experience in other fandoms goes.

While I'm all for this theory, only one small thing bothers me...

Doesn't Edgeworth wear a cravat because of Manfred von Karma's influence? It was either mentioned briefly in the main series games, or at the very least talked about in one of the Investigation games. If Baroque is Edgeworth's ancestor, then it would make more sense if Baroque somehow influenced Edgeworth's dress attire. Unless, Baroque influenced a von Karma ancestor who passed it down to Manfred, who passed it down to his daughter and Edgeworth, a distant relative of Baroque.

It's a good point. My take on it is that the cravat is an integral part of Edgeworth's character image, so much that it overrides any concerns about where the practice came from. It's not like Ryu has hair gel to make his little ear spikes, yet he has them anyway like Phoenix.

From what I've seen of Japanese culture, student council armbands are exclusively on the left arm, so if anything Ryuunosuke is the odd ball out wearing it on his right arm. Maybe it has something to do with that gauntlet on his left hand?

That's interesting. I don't know what to make of it.

First I've ever heard of this tradition myself. I'm just hoping for a localization, is all. If Capcom decides to skip over this one as well because they think the localization has already dug its own grave, it would be a real pity. Worst comes to worst, we'll bring the AAI2 translators back...

Wait, is there a legit reason for people concerned about this? Did Capcom say anything about being unsure? Layton vs AA and Dual Destinies both made it and did well which is a good sign. AAI1 and AAI2 were a bit of an anomaly (they weren't court games), but the reception for DGS looks much better.

Screw DGS, I want the thing on my avatar released this instance!!

I just hope this game gets localized, even if it's only eShop exclusive. It's no fun watching other people's playthroughs on the Internet, with or without "fansubs".

Wait, is there a legit reason for people concerned about this? Did Capcom say anything about being unsure? Layton vs AA and Dual Destinies both made it and did well which is a good sign. AAI1 and AAI2 were a bit of an anomaly (they weren't court games), but the reception for DGS looks much better.

Capcom hasn't said anything about being unsure with the localization, but the setting and time period of DGS is what has fans generally on edge.  PLvsPW was brought to the west, but I think it was mainly because they were betting on two fanbases to pull through with the sales.  DD was only available digitally due to lack of retail support for previous AA games, and that was a main series game.  Since DGS is officially considered a "spin-off" and looks to be more than just this one installment, who knows how Capcom USA will handle this.  In this day and age, localizations are pretty much announced immediately.  When Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fire Emblem: if were announced, though only Japanese gameplay existed for the longest time, a western release was announced immediately.  Nowadays larger franchises like Pokemon release all regional versions of their games virtually simultaneously.  The lack of any confirmed info from Capcom can be a bit worrisome, especially for die-hard fans of AAI2 (like me; I consider it to be one of the best AA games, just a tad worse than T&T) that don't want to see another under-appreciated and under-experienced AA game slip under the radar.

Renamed this thread a bit.

Regarding sales, I don't think DD did that well in the west, even though it certainly could have been worse. They were pretty vague with the number, in one article in 2014 they just said that "projected sales 'were basically achieved'", which sounds pretty ominous if you ask me. Also note how they constantly put the game on sale in the western markets despite it not being expensive itself (it's already cheaper than the Jpn version). 

Some gameplay footages in case someone is interested (needless to say, a lot of spoilers in there):

DGS stage show, with jury trial gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dzTFrGstus (Gameplay starts at 17:40)
Gameplay and Q&A with Takumi, Kojima, and Eshiro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfy_X1lA8Fc (Gameplay starts at 10:38)

According to information from court-records.net, in the first case, two new characters are revealed, the identity of the second person is major spoiler, so beware:

1. A relative of Susato's, professor at Yuumei University and Asougi's mentor.

2. The victim, John H. Watson, a visiting doctor from London.

ACE ATTORNEY 6 ANNOUNCED!

ace-attorney-6.jpg

CONFIRMED FOR WESTERN RELEASE!

Translation of announcement provided by reddit user in spoilers:

The newest release in the series is finally under works!

The courtroom battle style Ace Attorney game series, where you play as a defense attorney in court, pointing out contradictions and exposing the truth, finally has it's long awaited newest game "Ace Attorney 6" under works. In the issue of the weekly magazine "Famitsuu" that goes on sale on the 3rd September 2015 there will be a 6 page special on the setting of the game and new characters, along with interviews with Producer Eshiro Motohide and Director Yamazaki Takeshi.

You can play Ace Attorney 6 at the Tokyo Gameshow!

It has already been decided that at the Tokyo Gameshow 2015 there will be a playable exhibit for Ace Attorney 6. You can play the new system without delay. Those who take part will be given an original sticker set. Furthermore, on the stage there will be a presentation on the newest game information, and on top of that a set of images called "Tokubetsu Houtei" that were prepared for the gameshow will also be released, so make sure not to miss out!

--
GIF_-_Kill_la_Kill_Hype_Thrusters.gif
I really need to get around to playing Dual Destinies.  
(And also, RIP in peace DGS western release, you'll be fan-translated eventually anyway.)

I am super thrilled for the anime. I have checked out the manga and it wasn't half bad. I think Ace Attorney is the sort of game that translates well into animation.

I am sad that Dai Gyakuten Saiban has not been confirmed for Western release. The news is that AA6 will have priority. DGS in English may still have chance, but it will be likely after the release of the whole trilogy (assuming the Japanese sales are good enough). TBH, I think DGS is more promising than AA6....

I am super thrilled for the anime. I have checked out the manga and it wasn't half bad. I think Ace Attorney is the sort of game that translates well into animation.

I am sad that Dai Gyakuten Saiban has not been confirmed for Western release. The news is that AA6 will have priority. DGS in English may still have chance, but it will be likely after the release of the whole trilogy (assuming the Japanese sales are good enough). TBH, I think DGS is more promising than AA6....

Only thing we're going to have to worry about is how well it translates to English.  The localization team for the games took a ton of liberties with the translation, especially regarding names and jokes.  It was easier to do with just text and a few shouting voices, but will a full blown anime it's going to be difficult covering up the puns only Japanese speakers will understand.  And since simulcasters nowadays avoid translator notes like the plague, I'm a bit concerned with how the Ace Attorney anime (or rather Gyakuten Saiban anime) will turn out.

*bible thump for DGS*  But it still has a chance.  Voice actress of Franziska and member of the official Capcom localization team, Janet Hsu confirmed that the idea of translating DGS hasn't been completely scrapped.  You can read her exact words here.  Not to mention, a fan translation of the game is underway and coming along nicely.

hCXIMo3.png

However, their progress is slow and expecting them to complete not only this but the two future games as well is obviously a bit unrealistic.  We can only hope Capcom pulls through and finds it worth localizing.