Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Movie 19: Sunflowers of Inferno

When you give a conan movie a score and a review i usually do take all that and -1

you kinda liked M18, i thought it was horrendous

I think it's a solid 3/10 for a DC movie and 1/10 for a movie in general.

And just because we disagree on one movie's quality doesn't suddenly mean you dislike DC movies more than I do.  Based on my current MAL ratings of the DC movies (which needs updating since some of those numbers are higher than they rightfully should be), the average score for all of them is 4.68/10.  Given your most recent ratings of the first 17 movies, your average score of DC movies is an even 7/10.  I'd rather you not generalize based on a single example in a sample size of 19.

Soooooooo after watching the movie, I was wondering... what year is it supposed to take place?

In the best case, Jii-chan and the lady were 15-20 years old while the second world war and that's considering his job was allowed at that age, which is probably wrong. The lady is supposed to be in her 70s and Konosuke is supposed to be 61. The 2nd paiting of Van Gogh's sunflowers was burn on the 6th of august of 1945. That means the movie takes place on somewhere between 1985 and 1990? Sorry, the technology displayed doesn't fit.

Even if we took Konosuke's age as non canon, believing that they were so young when it happened and are in their 70s now, that would only give us enough margin to place the movie in the early 2000s, which could actually work since characters are seen using older phones instead of the smartphones some of them were using in more recent episodes of the manga - and specially the anime.

P.s: The motives of the culprit were... no real motives at all? I mean, it's not unrealistic, after all John Lennon was killed by a fan, but it's not clear wether the culprit just wanted to steal the paintings for profit, erase them from existence (which would have been easy at first), it's not clear either who send a message to Kid asking him to steal these. Was it the culprit? Why did the culprit do that, then, when kid's acting was what effectively ruin the culprit's plan? Why specifficaly these paintings, and not others? 

Overall, quite lackluster for a movie that looked so promising from the trailers. It gets tiring how they abuse of "super-conan" in the movies - even tho they didn't really do it here as much as in the previous ones, but in the unrealistic scenes they added, they didn't even make him shine.

• Upvote 1

I have writen a lot of reason all around dcw

Im not gonna write that long reason again, if you want to know you can search.

To tell the somewhat short version, he was great in the beginning, then sucked after jirokichi came

I also have kid vs conan in my top 10 episodes of dc of all time...and thats after all these years.

I do like Magic Kaito, the anime.

I didnt watch the movie so im asking around whats it like and is it what i expected it to be

Also i do like kyuus posts and do agree with almost all of them

But the reason that he(KID) takes away the focus of the plot is strange to me cause heiji and the DBs and ran and mori side cases get more page/screen time than him

I just start tuning out the Kaito Kid haters because they just never have anything solid to say. I don't understand why you're participating with that on a thread about the movie when you say you haven't seen it, don't hate Kid, and as someone who has seen it, I seek out this thread to discuss what happens in the movie and all I see is several posts whining about Kid. Why? DC has gone on so long that without Kid throwing in a very different flavor, it would have become SEVERELY more stale faster. Many of the movies that haven't included him had suffered the same fate as much of the series, which is extreme predictability and nothing but bombs and explosions. It's also nice to see Shinichi, even if it is Kaito pretending to be him.

Soooooooo after watching the movie, I was wondering... what year is it supposed to take place?

In the best case, Jii-chan and the lady were 15-20 years old while the second world war and that's considering his job was allowed at that age, which is probably wrong. The lady is supposed to be in her 70s and Konosuke is supposed to be 61. The 2nd paiting of Van Gogh's sunflowers was burn on the 6th of august of 1945. That means the movie takes place on somewhere between 1985 and 1990? Sorry, the technology displayed doesn't fit.

Even if we took Konosuke's age as non canon, believing that they were so young when it happened and are in their 70s now, that would only give us enough margin to place the movie in the early 2000s, which could actually work since characters are seen using older phones instead of the smartphones some of them were using in more recent episodes of the manga - and specially the anime.

P.s: The motives of the culprit were... no real motives at all? I mean, it's not unrealistic, after all John Lennon was killed by a fan, but it's not clear wether the culprit just wanted to steal the paintings for profit, erase them from existence (which would have been easy at first), it's not clear either who send a message to Kid asking him to steal these. Was it the culprit? Why did the culprit do that, then, when kid's acting was what effectively ruin the culprit's plan? Why specifficaly these paintings, and not others? 

Overall, quite lackluster for a movie that looked so promising from the trailers. It gets tiring how they abuse of "super-conan" in the movies - even tho they didn't really do it here as much as in the previous ones, but in the unrealistic scenes they added, they didn't even make him shine.

Wow that is an excellent point. It seems they're keeping the timeline to be the original one, but like the manga/show has been keeping up with tech. It's always amusing to me to see how much the early cases would have changed if someone just had a cell phone, and then in the latest stuff, which is suppose to be less than a year later, people have smartphones.

It seems the whole "sending him a message" thing was a bit of a lie from Kid, since it shows you that Ji was the servant who knew the crying lady and was the one who had all the info.

How did the ball expand under water? It would need air to do that...

I just start tuning out the Kaito Kid haters because they just never have anything solid to say. I don't understand why you're participating with that on a thread about the movie when you say you haven't seen it, don't hate Kid, and as someone who has seen it, I seek out this thread to discuss what happens in the movie and all I see is several posts whining about Kid. Why? DC has gone on so long that without Kid throwing in a very different flavor, it would have become SEVERELY more stale faster. Many of the movies that haven't included him had suffered the same fate as much of the series, which is extreme predictability and nothing but bombs and explosions. It's also nice to see Shinichi, even if it is Kaito pretending to be him.

Again, i was asking around to see what were the opinions of those who watched it. I never said i did watch it, you just assumes by one post. I had my doubts about it from the start. You may think that no one gives you a reason good enough for hating on him but they most likely do. Pre jirokichi he was good, when they got to play their game...my lord some of the worst episodes/chapters. You even like kyuus reason that he takes away focus of the plot when in fact he pretty much appeared in, i think 30ish ( 2-3 parters included ) episodes.

Ok so how many haters have you encountered so far, what are their reasons. Is one of them he wears a top hat, is too white, has a white cape. I want to know what they say that you find a not valid reason. He is not good in dc anymore. 

Has the BD been released/subbed yet?

I can still only find the Korean rip that has Jap audio

Apparently, the DVD is now out in rental stores, but the movie has yet to be subbed or even put online (the Japanese version).

For me this Movie 19 Sunflowers is amazing!!

Kaitou Kid is one of my favorite is DC!

He is really awesome depends on magic tricks

and the way he do steal and get it back!

This movie is really awesome for me!

I'm looking forward to the coming soon movie 20

:)

Let me make one thing crystal clear here real quick. I loved the movie as a whole especially how I was rooting for Kid being the good guy but there sure as hell were some moments I had a few doubts. They did a really great job in making the movie a tad bit hard to predict which was a good thing in my opinion. If you just knew what the end was, a sure thing, that got boring real fast.

Now, I had this huge problem... they repeated a thing. Please do not read further if you haven't seen the movie.

So I had a major issue with how the practically repeated that climactic scene from the 15th movie. Remember when Conan was buried in the snow and everyone had only 15 minutes to find him; hence the name Quarter of Silence. Well, rather than being buried under snow he was stuck underwater where he would've drowned and was... yet again... saved by a freaking soccer ball. This time rather than having it pop up out of the snow alerting others where he was he kept hold on the ball and was able to surface because of it. It was the whole feeling and cycle that bugged me. Everyone was waiting, wondering if he was going to show up or if he was lost. Then boom, something to alert them he was there and Kogoro was able to go over and help him.

Think that's enough rambling on my bit... I'd still give the movie a high ranking, as I've loved all things DC to my knowledge, but I guess it depends on the person. If you get bothered by something like what bugged me it'll make re-watching it a bit difficult. I wish they could find a way to make episodes and films without repeating too much but I know that for how long they've been ongoing it can be highly difficult. I just feel the repetitiveness can become taxing on the viewer.

Once again, my own experience. Please do know that I still plan to continue watching the series and can't wait for Movie 20. >v</

has anyone any knowledge if any fansub group is translating the movie 

ML said several months ago that they were working on it, though I don't think there have been any recent updates about it. They just said it would get done eventually, and they release whatever gets finished first.

The version that's out now is pretty good though. There were some minor grammar issues, but nothing to really complain about. The subtitles were really small for me and uncomfortable to read, but changing that really isn't difficult by any means.

ML said several months ago that they were working on it, though I don't think there have been any recent updates about it. They just said it would get done eventually, and they release whatever gets finished first.

The version that's out now is pretty good though. There were some minor grammar issues, but nothing to really complain about. The subtitles were really small for me and uncomfortable to read, but changing that really isn't difficult by any means.

I think i downloaded that one, but there was a problem that i could not fix. When i asked around, i was the only one. There was just no picture

If anyone is interested Kaitou fansubs have subbed and released M19 

BTW, the movie is BORING 

Seems kind of redundant to call for interest and then cry, "BOREDOM!"

Here's a better way to go:

Kaitou fansubs have subbed and released M19... but the movie is BORING 

Ah, the inadequacy of pure text communication... probably should've added some emoticons, though.  :unsure:

:* :* :* 

im known for not using those

folks keep asking me then am i mad of something or what

but i just tell them its just the way i write

to get back on the movie

this would have been better as a 2 part episode

the case, the motive...stupid

action is straight out of die hard

but its still not worse than M16 and M11