Detective Conan World
Jodie Starling

Boss of The Black Organization?

Who is the boss?  

422 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the boss?

• New Character (not yet introduced)
    • Minor Character (appeared once or a few times before, such as a case suspect or in a case flashback)
    • Other known character not specifically mentioned below (Recurring characters)
    • Relative of known character (not yet introduced)
    • Someone else
    • Agasa Hiroshi
    • James Black
    • Miyano Atsushi
    • Elena Miyano
    • Okino Yoko
    • Okiya Subaru/Akai Shuuichi
    • Yamamura Misae
    • Matsumoto Kiyonaga
    • Kudo Yuusaku
    • Mouri Kogoro
    • Kisaki Eri
    • Sharon Vineyard
    • Gin

It is maybe the worst idea I've ever had, and I would be disgusted if this person is the boss (because I like that character), but some elements seem to be in adequation with what detectiveshinichi said a year ago and with the Anokata wiki page.

The boss seems to have some connection with "Nanatsu No Ko", the e-mail address to contact them.

The operatives dress in black, which Akemi says is supposed to resemble crows. This is probably an expression of the boss’s dress code preferences.

Nanatsu no Ko, the melody behind the boss phone number, is a children song telling the story of seven baby crows. While it could be a coincidence, according to Akemi Miyano, Black Organization members are dressed in black like crows. So there is a huge possibility that the Nanatsu No Ko number is indeed deliberate and that the boss has some kind of affinity with that song.

While at the same time, it seems unlikely that the boss of a criminal organization would have some liking for children songs. Children songs are more adapted for a elementary school teacher like Kobayashi whose love for children is well-known.

The organization uses clever codenames, passwords, etc. based on mysteries and history. If the boss is behind the naming scheme then perhaps the boss has an interest in detectives and mysteries.

Weel, except for Agasa, Kobayashi is also well known for her love for detective stories. But, unlike the professor whose quizzes are lame, Kobayashi was shown to be able to create good mystery games from the names of the children, showing she has some ability.

but the next clue Gosho gives is that Haibara would be surprised if she knew the boss' identity, so one can assume she either knows the person or, if she met him/her one day, she would not think he/she would be suitable enough (too old, young, weak, simple minded,etc...)

Seriously, who could imagine Kobayashi being the boss ? Even now, I find it hard to believe.

First off, it mentions the boss has already been introduced.

I did some research to find that the book was released June 29, 2008, so because of this, one can assume the boss was featured before file 640 roughly

Kobayashi was introduced in file 154, some time before Haibara's first appearance (to which she was present), but she became a more recurring and important character from chapter 505 onward, during a plot set just between the showdown between the FBI and the Black Organization at Mouri's agency and Eisuke Hondo's first appearance.

Finally, the boss' name will be tied to the true name of the syndicate (meaning the Black Organization is not the Organization's true name, Conan just calls them that because that is what Akemi Miyano, a low ranking member in the Organization who knows little about them, told him.

In Zeta Gundam, Hayato Kobayashi is the leader of the Karaba group Amuro Ray is part of (if the speculation about Tooru being a BO member are true, which I still doubt to be honest). So there is indeed some connection between the name Kobayashi and the leader of an organization in a work Aoyama has acknowledged. But it's not a decisive evidence, far from it !

Gin has hinted the boss might be a male. A couple of times, he has referred to the boss as a he, but at the same time, this all depends on how close Gin knows the boss. If he has only talked to the boss on the phone, then the boss may have disguised his/her voice, so the gender would be impossible to tell just from a call, but if Gin was to have met the boss... then chances are the boss is male.

Gin often calls the boss "that person" which doesn't allow gender's identification. But maybe there's more. Maybe he says "that person" because he doesn't want to be more explicit. Maybe he doesn't really like the boss, while still obeying its orders. And I could understand why he wouldn't like someone like Kobayashi.

Vermouth is the boss’s favorite for an unknown reason and he/she allows her some degree of independence.

The french version confused me on that one. "L'homme avec qui vous avez - paraît-il - une aventure est-il présent aux funérailles ?". Meaning she has a male lover. I thought it was either an allusion to the boss or to Gin.

I was wrong for Gin. Vermouth and he haven't made a "martini" for quite some time when they met again in the jazz restaurant.

But the french version was in fact assuming that Vermouth's lover was a man. In fact, in the english translation, the gender is unclear. They just say her "lover". So the lover could be a woman.

To be honest, it's hard for me to imagine the kind and child-like Kobayashi being the boss, but that's also why I haven't thought of her until now. Even if she is indeed the boss, I don't think she's faking her care for children (her vocation wouldn't have anything to do with Conan and Ai, but she would nonetheless be in good position). She loves them as she has some kind of childish nature herself. But maybe she doesn't love everyone as much as she loves children.

There are also some strange comments by times like "I'm worried about the ones that sneaks behind our backs without showing themselves, like Vermouth." (during the case which marked Kobayashi's return in the series as a more recurring character) and "Believing women will never change is just the wishful thinking of men. They will change, giving men a taste of their own medecine, Angels can also change into demons. The heart of a woman is like the weather in Autumn !" (which sounded like a warning to Shiratori. It was during this case that the love story between Shiratori and Kobayashi began).

Now, the three main reasons I have difficulties with Kobayashi being the boss:

-She really doesn't seem like a bad person at all and it would be hard to imaginate her as the boss of an important criminal organization while she has difficulties with a class of elementary students.

-She is 26 years old. And it's not faked by fountain of youth or whatever because she met Shiratori as a young girl. The boss is surely an older person.

-Haibara doesn't feel anything near her. Meaning a lot of time. But maybe that could add to her "surprise".

But I also admit those are preconceived ideas with no elements corroborating them. We just don't know much about the boss, but from what we know Kobayashi could fit the pattern. But that wouldn't be at all the boss as I imagined him/her to be.

Or else, as I said at the beginning, maybe that's the most stupid idea I've ever had. And I hope so because I would be shocked. I like her character and she is close to the detective boys (especially lately). She just seems to be a kind and honest person, like Ran.

• Upvote 1

Gin often calls the boss "that person" which doesn't allow gender's identification. But maybe there's more. Maybe he says "that person" because he doesn't want to be more explicit. Maybe he doesn't really like the boss, while still obeying its orders. And I could understand why he wouldn't like someone like Kobayashi.

You did mention that Gin has addressed Anokata as HE. So, if it is Kobayashi, then why should be referred that way?

Your theory is very interesting I must say. But I agree that it's hard to imagine her as Anokata.... BTW, does Kobayashi, or any other DC character have any connection with Tottori Province? Because, if there is a conncetion, then we can be more certain of this theory. Gosho Aoyama never expected DC to last this long, so probably Anokata was introduced in Season 1 or 2. If that's the case, then Kobayashi being Anokata is unlikely.

You did mention that Gin has addressed Anokata as HE. So, if it is Kobayashi, then why should be referred that way?

To be honest, I don't remember the boss being adressed as "he", but I read the french version and there are some mistakes in the translation.

BTW, does Kobayashi, or any other DC character have any connection with Tottori Province?

Not that I know. But it could be for Kobayashi because she was transfered to Teitan from another school.

But I agree that it's hard to imagine her as Anokata....

That would clearly not be the boss as I imagine him to be. But I am almost sure that the boss has a affinity for the children song Nanatsu No Ko, according to his phone number and the fact his agents are dressed like crows. Whatever the reason, it's already weird that the boss of a criminal organization has an affinity for a children song.

Gosho Aoyama never expected DC to last this long, so probably Anokata was introduced in Season 1 or 2. If that's the case, then Kobayashi being Anokata is unlikely.

That, I can't say. But I know Aoyama has said that, during the Vermouth's arc, he established the whole main plot and that, from this paper, the identity of the boss could be guessed. Kobayashi was already introduced by then, though she was still a minor character.

Gosho Aoyama never expected DC to last this long, so probably Anokata was introduced in Season 1 or 2. If that's the case, then Kobayashi being Anokata is unlikely.

That doesn't mean that Anokata must've been introduced then, does it? He might plan to leave it hanging,like Magic Kaito, if it wasn't successful. And even if he did place who he wanted Anokata to be in the early seasons, he could've changed it in these 17years especially when you take the fact that there has been much plot development and more Characters introduced since then.

I guess you'll are right. I don't think Gosho had planned Vermouth, Akai, FBI or any other BO member other than Gin and Vodka when he started, so, Anokata can be Kobayashi..... but still, it's hard for me to imagine.

I think Gosho had a contingency plan for an early end. Sherry was introduced in the chapter Akemi died as a silhouette showing Gosho had her in mind for a very long while and could use her if he was forced to end early. If you look at Okino Yoko, she had three cigarettes and a statue of liberty lighter in her apartment although she was never shown smoking since. Personally, I think she was supposed to be Vermouth, but then Gosho decided to recreate Vermouth as Chris/Sharon Vineyard when he realized he didn't have to rush because his ratings were good. Okino became a plain spare character.

• Upvote 2

I think Gosho had a contingency plan for an early end. Sherry was introduced in the chapter Akemi died as a silhouette showing Gosho had her in mind for a very long while and could use her if he was forced to end early. If you look at Okino Yoko, she had three cigarettes and a statue of liberty lighter in her apartment although she was never shown smoking since. Personally, I think she was supposed to be Vermouth, but then Gosho decided to recreate Vermouth as Chris/Sharon Vineyard when he realized he didn't have to rush because his ratings were good. Okino became a plain spare character.

Oh, that makes sense. No wonder Yoko seemed like such a suspicious character to me...

Oh, that makes sense. No wonder Yoko seemed like such a suspicious character to me...

yea... when I just started reading Conan and saw that case in vol1/2 with Yoko, I was like "is the author gonna introduce another member of the BO this soon?"....But if Yoko turned out to be Anokata, I wonder what Kogoro's reaction will be....lol

One thing I know of boss he is likely to be a person Agasa personally don't want to meet but heard of him. It may explain his strong reaction to Shinichi insisting not to tell his identity.

Anokata is Kobayashi!!!!!:@@ She wants to convert everyone in kids with the APTX and to be the only adult in the world!!!!! that way she can easily control them with the sch!!!!!!!With homework and more homework :twisted:

Seriously now....i think Anokata will be new character ....i cant think about Agasa or someone in the anime being Anokata...

I've recently been favouring the idea of Vermouth's husband as Anokata, but it still isn't a perfect match in my head.

He was mentioned in the New York case (right? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong), so maybe that complies with Aoyama-sensei's statement...?

Hahaha, Yamamura is in the poll. XD But seriously, how amazing would it be if it turned out to be him? Best example of 'obfuscating stupidity' ever.

I look back at the manga. The suspects are: captain Radish Redwood, Akai and Sharon's husband. After I read the manga I'm not exactly sure is Sharon's husband dead, Akai has survive after his ordeal. Sharon's husband claimed dead from Sharon's words.

That makes a lot of sense. I never brought Okino in the list of suspecious characters. Looks like i still have a lot of things to consider.

i guess atsuchi is a good guess

Yeah, that's definitely a good guess, since we've heard lots of little things about him without ever seeing him. Also he has the BO connection thing going.