Detective Conan World
Akazora

Official Magic Kaito 1412 News and Discussion Thread

magickaito.gif

Along with chapter 903 of Detective Conan, an announcement was made that the manga Magic Kaito would be getting a full anime adaptation produced by A-1 Pictures airing October 4th.  This will be different from the 12-episode specials that sporadically aired from 2010 to 2012 as it will air weekly and not borrow Detective Conan's weekly time slot.  It is unclear how may cours the series will be.

Scan of the initial announcement below in spoilers:

BtYAFjCCIAAPXOB.jpg

Edited by Akazora
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if this implies the next movie will be Kaitou Kid related? Usually Kid stuff picks up in the anime and manga department when it is a Kid movie, and it has been a while since the last kid movie (14). The average gap between kid movies is 4.5 movies based on releases so far.

Nice to see you on the forums again Chekhov. It's been a while. Anyways, from what I've heard others say about the ending of movie 18 [(Dimensional Sniper) from those who have seen it and know a lot about it (I'm looking forward to the subbing of it in Oct. or Nov. whenever it comes)] and from what I've seen others saying in other forums like DCTP (a bummer with what's happened to them), it's heavily implied that movie 19 will have Kaito Kid in it.

Kiddo-sama? I can't wait for the new series >.< I was depressed that the Kid series only lasted 12 episodes last time~ -_- But now it's back! *eats candy in excitement*

I wonder if this implies the next movie will be Kaitou Kid related? Usually Kid stuff picks up in the anime and manga department when it is a Kid movie, and it has been a while since the last kid movie (14). The average gap between kid movies is 4.5 movies based on releases so far.

http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12439#p830421

It looks like we were right: movie 19 is going to be about Kaito Kid and Van Gogh's drawing "Les Tournesols" (The Sunflowers). When the interviewer asks Gosho if Kaito Kid is going to be in the movie, Gosho answers "Are you a seer or what?".

Wait, seriously?!  I had the exact same theory that I posted on a different topic and I swear I didn't get my ideas from DCTP.  Here, I'll quote it below.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but I'm going to make a bold prediction.  However, this prediction is only valid if the sunflower does indeed refer to Van Gogh.  I think the next movie will be a Kaitou Kid film about an art museum heist focusing around Van Gogh's works with visual arts as a major theme.  Generally, every recent movie can be given a theme: M-11 is pirates, M-12 is music, M-13 is BO, M-14 is airship, M-15 is snow, M-16 is soccer, M-17 is battleship, and M-18 is Akai.  It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to use visual arts (painting, sculpture, photography) as the theme for M-19.  The only way I can imagine them pulling this off is having the crime be a major heist at a museum, which is something that fits the DC formula but also leaves a lot of room for fresh ideas.  Furthermore, we haven't had a Kid movie since M-14 and it's about time he shows up in one.  Not to mention museums have always been Kid magnets.  As for a movie title, I think there may be a pun on the word "frame" (picture frame and framing a criminal).

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm right, but I'm basing a theory on a major assumption so I wouldn't be shocked if I'm wrong either.

If only I could predict stocks this well, really...

Apparently, there is one of Van Gogh's sunflower paintings in the Sompo Japan Museum of Art.  

^Now that the Van Gogh-Kid movie is confirmed, I suppose I'll quote something else I posted a while ago.  In movie 16 and 17, there were a lot of real world connections (actual J-League and Aegis ship people, if I'm not mistaken).  Does anyone think they may use the Sompo Japan Museum of Art as part of the movie as a collaboration/promotion?  Or could this movie perhaps take place overseas?

Ah, I'm straying off topic... 

• Upvote 4

I've always enjoyed Kaitou's heists and considered them as a nice bonus to the show.

I just hope it doesn't take the same path that DC did and become extremely repetitive.

--

I'm actually pretty excited for this :0

As other people have posted around the web, I'm scared for the animation, and curious as to if we are getting a third version of the Crystal Mother, lol. I really liked how they were taking the Spider thing, and it made Hakuba more interesting, so I hope that reuse or keep him in it. If it's "different," is it a reboot per se, or just that it won't be in the same timeslot? I guess nobody knows quite yet?

UPDATE: The main cast has been announced with some major changes!

maomao.jpg\

Kaito Kuroba - Kappei Yamaguchi (unchanged)

Aoko Nakamori - Mao Ichimichi (formerly Minami Takayama, Yukiko Iwai, Ayumi Fujimura)

Akako Koizumi - Eri Kitamura (formerly Megumi Hayashibara, Miyuki Sawashiro)

Saguru Hakuba - Mamoru Miyano (formerly Akira Ishida)

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-01/kappei-yamaguchi-m.a.o-star-in-magic-kaito-tv-anime-series/.78249

Edited by Akazora

Waaah im really looking forward to it ...

And by the way will it be a continuation of the earlier episodes or will it be different?

I know its a stupid question because if must be a continuation but I need to be sure :)

To my knowledge, it has not yet been confirmed whether this will adapt the existing manga chapters or animate an original story.

But we'll be keeping tabs on this and I'll post an update as soon as we get word.

The first opening song for MK1412 will be sung by the newly formed band LAGOON and is titled "Kimi no Matsu Sekai".  The series has been confirmed to be two-cour (24 episodes).  The official premise as written by YTV is as follows:

Kaito Kuroba is a seventeen-year-old high school student who is an adept magician due to the influence of his father, Toichi Kuroba who died mysteriously. Eight years after his father's death, Kaito discovers a secret room in his home that was set up by his father to reveal itself on that very day. Finding Kid the Phantom Thief's gadgets and costume in the room, Kaito dons the disguise and decides to confront Kid who has recently resurfaced after his eight years of absence. Kaito discovers Kid to be Konosuke Jii, his father's butler, who ascertains Toichi was the first Kid the Phantom Thief. Jii reveals he took on the role as Kid to lure out Toichi's murderer. Upon learning that his father was murdered, Kaito continues the role of Kid the Phantom Thief as he searches for his father's killer.

Sources: 

http://www.ytv.co.jp/english/programs/index.php?g=g01

http://www.sonymusic.co.jp/artist/lagoon/info/444470

Really? Another Kaito Kid series? Sweet! xD Except, that I'm only on like episode. 4 of the first Kaito Kid series, cause I don't watch them as much as I do Detective Conan. Welp,better start watching the rest of them so I can keep up. :)

The first ending theme for MK1412 has been revealed to be "WHITE of CRIME" sung by REVALCY.  Here's a quick preview of the song on Dailymotion: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26axt2_magic-kaito-1412-ending-revalcy-white-of-crime-preview_music

Additionally, the first preview of the anime has been posted and it features the opening song "Kimi no Matsu Sekai" by LAGOON.  It can be found on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFvU4zvQDEk

• Upvote 1

Welp, the art changed a bit (I can't quite put my finger on it but I think the eyes are what's bothering me the most) and the 3D transitions were also a new addition. Even if a new studio is in charge, I would have preferred if they stuck to the original art/animation in order to keep consistency.

I can't determine much from the 30 second clip, but I'm just hoping that they're not planning to reuse material from the old MK other than maybe from the first and second episodes. 

Or maybe I'm just being picky.

The first episode aired today, and though I haven't had the chance to see it yet the first opening and ending have been uploaded to YouTube.

Here's the opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS0f_sr9mEQ

And the ending: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8xoKaOi844

Well, it definitely feels like a a legit series now and not just a bunch of specials.  It has a ton of competition this season with things like Fate/stay night, Psycho-Pass 2, Log Horizon Season 2, Parasyte, and Sword Art Online II (into its second cour) among others, but I guess because it has such a niche fan base it'll do fine.  A-1 Pictures has done a much better job in the animation department in the past than it's willing to go to the trouble of with MK1412, but it's not like the Gosho universe has seen impressive art in anything other than movies anyway.

How do you guys think we should discuss the upcoming half-year of episodes?  Should we have a new topic for each episode?  One topic for the whole series with labeled spoilers?