Detective Conan World
Peregrinus the Nihilist

Conan/Shinichi's Archnemesis

Does Conan need an archnemesis?   

8 members have voted

1. 1. Does Conan need an archnemesis (anti-Conan)?

• Yes, all great superheroes need archvillains.
    • No, I prefer the hero to always be stronger than the villains.
    • Not sure
    • Other

[Warning: spoilers ahead] 

Surely I am not alone in feeling that Conan needs his own archnemesis--his own Moriarty, his own Agent Smith, his own Bane. So far, 99% of his adversaries have been intellectual lightweights, clever but not extraordinarily brilliant. As far as I know, only Gin has really given him a run for his money in the battle of wits (see Episode 311), and Gin lost only because he outwitted himself at the last moment. 

Initially I thought Conan might meet his match in Bourbon, but now I'm thinking that Bourbon's rival is Subaru/Shuuichi, not Conan. If I recall correctly, Conan is second only to Yuusaku in terms of deduction skills, and Yuusaku is one of the good guys (as far as we know). It's been nearly 750 episodes and we've yet to see a villain that is unequivocally on par with (if not superior to) Conan. (This lends weight to the [conspiracy] theory that Yuusaku is Anokata--among all the characters that have been introduced, Conan would not have a more formidable adversary than him. But that would be a little too Star Wars-y, wouldn't it? ;))   

I, for one, think that Conan needs a real challenge--an anti-Conan, if you will. Perhaps he'll find it in Anokata?

If Conan does get his own Moriarty, I am hoping it will be someone who is his own age, if not even younger. 

Your thoughts?    

The problem, should the nemesis be the detective's antithesis, is that humility is not a trait often found in the "bad guys". :P

Yuusaku is kinda...meh, I dunno. There's something about having a familial relationship that kinda prohibits the development of an archnemesis relationship. Heiji acts more like a friendly rival than a worthy foe, as far as I'm aware/care.

The series does set up Gin to be Conan's main adversary, considering he was the one that shrunk the guy in the first place, but Gin hasn't been seen in action for a while. Bourbon is the only "bad guy" that we know that fits the role of "detective", but Bourbon has his sights on Akai.

There aren't a lot of good candidates for being an archnemesis, unfortunately. 

And for the poll: obviously. A conflict between two opposite characters is really good for plot.

1. wasn't there an interview where Gosho said that Anokata is definitely not either Kudou Yusaku or Agasa Hiroshi ?

2. If there would be an arch nemesis for Conan it would probably be Anokata. He, like Moriarty, conducts business from the shadows and controls others to do his bidding. 

3. Gosho has revealed that Anokata's name has appeared in the series at some point but he never clarified that Anokata has appeared in person. We don't know if he/she has appeared in the series at this point or not. However if Anokata is anything  like Sherlock's Moriarty, the its likely that they haven't appeared in person and won't reveal themselves until later. Anokata has been controlling the organization since the beginning but we really don't know his ultimate purpose. 

4. Anokata has been gathering resources for the better part of half a century (according to Haibara) and that means a lot of things. For one it means that Anokata sees some form of end goal and is working toward something. He/she may be far smarter that what we think. When you really think about it, Conan may have the organization fooled on some things but he really has not prevented them from gathering resources. Once we know what that goal is, we will probably know more about how intelligent Anokata may be.  

@ mian cai

The problem, should the nemesis be the detective's antithesis, is that humility is not a trait often found in the "bad guys".  :P

LOL! That's a great point. Then again, if Satan is Yahweh's antithesis, shouldn't he be female? Ditto for the Antichrist. I think most people would agree that the hero's archnemesis need not be the exact opposite of the hero in every respect.

The series does set up Gin to be Conan's main adversary, considering he was the one that shrunk the guy in the first place, but Gin hasn't been seen in action for a while. 

That's another good point. I'd almost forgotten that Gin was responsible for Conan's current predicament. Also: he is the only one who has ever withstood one of Conan's tranquilizers, and he is the one who has come the closest to beating Conan at his own game. 

There aren't a lot of good candidates for being an archnemesis, unfortunately. 

Yes, that's why I'm hoping that the archnemesis is someone who has never made an appearance so far. I wouldn't really mind if it turns out to be Gin, but I think I'd prefer anti-Conan to be as young as Conan, if not even younger.  

@ jimmy-kud0-tv2

1. wasn't there an interview where Gosho said that Anokata is definitely not either Kudou Yusaku or Agasa Hiroshi ?

I think I read in a wiki that he said that Anokata was not Professor Agasa. I don't know about Yuusaku. 

2. If there would be an arch nemesis for Conan it would probably be Anokata. He, like Moriarty, conducts business from the shadows and controls others to do his bidding. 

Hard to argue with that. 

3. Gosho has revealed that Anokata's name has appeared in the series at some point but he never clarified that Anokata has appeared in person. We don't know if he/she has appeared in the series at this point or not. However if Anokata is anything  like Sherlock's Moriarty, the its likely that they haven't appeared in person and won't reveal themselves until later. 

You may well be correct. 

he needs one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or he wont get any cooler 0.0 ... -feeling determined- 

hehe... with the archenemy, shinichi will get cooler and smarter !!! hehehe