Detective Conan World
krat0s

[PS2] Detective Conan: Legacy of The British Empire[English Translation]

Hello everyone.
First of all forgive me if this is the wrong forum, or section.
I have a PS2 and lately I found that a DC game existed.
"Detective Conan: Legacy of The British Empire"

The game was released in 2004 by Bandai and Japanese only. Searching for the game leads to a onld thread of this site. Anyway, I have messed around quite a bit with the PS2 and so, I decided to translate the game.
The game datas are in .DAT files and their are proceeded by a map file .HED. I spent a few days to find the routine and then at last I managed to extract them. I dumped the entire script, and then for another week I was stuck with pointers size and character limitation. But I solved that problem, and I am now coding a DC Script Editor for faster translating. I also have an image editor and a Japanese translator, and works still goes on. So far , some parts of the menu are translated , and some images too. As for the script, it is around 3% complete,(delay becyase of text size issue, which is now fixed.).
I would apprecite if someone has an manual of this , or knows how to activate the bonus/Extra menu. Below you have a video of the game in Japanese. It is not mine.
The screenshots are a bit old, but anyway just to show them. I have advanced way more than that, they were supposed to be simple testing test. I will probably post a vid on youtube ofthat translated text.
Some images , are those before translating.

You have a Wiki here, and it states that this game never got a English translation, well it will get it soon.
Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0pMt8toMTE

N2e4xc9.png

9nX5bkk.png

Xtj6Lit.png

cD2baZS.png

ttk9uXM.pngPvfno5s.pngbSkrDBP.pngKH4KRDI.png

• Upvote 3

I had absolutely no idea that this game even existed, and I suppose it does not help that I've never owned a PS2 or was a fan of DC when the game was released in Japan.  I'm incapable of translations, so I can't help you there, but it's beyond impressive you've been doing this all by yourself.  Honestly, absolutely amazing dedication and I'll definitely play through it when this project is complete.  There are probably people more fluent in Japanese than I am lurking somewhere on this forum, and perhaps they'll lend you a hand.  I know generally double posts are frowned upon and there were ways for you to have avoided doing so, but now is not the time for that.  I can actually give you two reps now!  Good luck with your endeavor!  

• Upvote 1

I had absolutely no idea that this game even existed, and I suppose it does not help that I've never owned a PS2 or was a fan of DC when the game was released in Japan.  I'm incapable of translations, so I can't help you there, but it's beyond impressive you've been doing this all by yourself.  Honestly, absolutely amazing dedication and I'll definitely play through it when this project is complete.  There are probably people more fluent in Japanese than I am lurking somewhere on this forum, and perhaps they'll lend you a hand.  I know generally double posts are frowned upon and there were ways for you to have avoided doing so, but now is not the time for that.  I can actually give you two reps now!  Good luck with your endeavor!  

Thank You! (again). In matter of fact, I was not aware of this game either. PS2 games released in Japan are very obsecure, but very precious ones. I am 16, but I have a strong passion for electronics. I became obssesed with my PS2 console, so I have spent like two years to learn how the system works and so. Knowing this, I had done game mods, and even more thing. Then I learned Vb.net proggramming language to code some simple apps. And then I learned C because the PS2 SDK compiles uses GCC. That way I managed to create some small homebrew. I do not know what pushes me into this, but I just love the console, and the mystery that it has. After I got the game, I studied the file structure for a day or two, and managed to extract every file out of the .DAT files. Someone wanted to work on the graphics and  I sent him a few, and he has done a great work(I know a bit of graphics but not too much). Furthermore, a translator also wanted to help me, he is a offical one, and has done a great work. He has managed to do it via hexediting, but this is a great hassle, and after each line of text I was forced to work manually too, in order to adjust the text pointers size. I examine the script, so I know how to do it, and I am coding a script editor, so far is very beta, but it works. It reads all the lines , displays the nr of strings, chars, but I am having some problem with Double Bytes characters to display properly. If I open an edited English script, it works great. Pretty much that is it, it is my passion to the console and mystery which decided me to this project. It has a lot of manual work for me like packing and unpacking files but it is worth it. All I know about programming and PC is becuase of my pasion for the PS2 and my CISCO course, because other than other, I have learnt nothing in my corrupted school. As for the game, I will make a video and post it here. The game is quite awesome, 3D graphics, Conan can ride on a scateborad, can explore an entire castle with hidden doors etc, but even if the game was not so good, still it remains DC. In the uncpacked data there is artwork, game vidoes, bonues, which I will share latter here.

Cheers.

EDIT: It was not my intetion to double post, but I had a problem with adding the last image. If it is against regulation, please remove it.

Cheers.

• Upvote 2

*slow clap* I'm probably useless when it comes to this, but hey I have a PS2 and a DVD writer CD-ROM. Maybe I'll be able to play it. Good luck on it! My only experience with games on PC is with emulators. :(

What PS2 model do you have? What original games? Do you have any of the chea devices, like Gamshark, Codebreaker etc? 

It is better to softmod your PS2 and then play all the games you want. You can even play from USB or from HDD. Let me know, if you need help for softmoding it.

Cheers.

To avoid double posting:

I will post a video tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Cheers.

Awesome! Good to hear that someone is taking the chance to translate it in English a go. (I think I've seen a few screenshots of this game before, or at least one of them. :P) Hope you finish translating it. :)

The speed for parts of the preview is really slow, but I guess you'll eventually work to get that fixed, right?  Watching at x2 speed does help a bit.  It's actually quite a nice looking game, and I'm sure it'll turn out great.  I only skimmed through some of the translated parts, but nothing really stuck out at me as being particularly awkward, so your translator is doing a fine job.

• Upvote 1

The speed for parts of the preview is really slow, but I guess you'll eventually work to get that fixed, right?  Watching at x2 speed does help a bit.  It's actually quite a nice looking game, and I'm sure it'll turn out great.  I only skimmed through some of the translated parts, but nothing really stuck out at me as being particularly awkward, so your translator is doing a fine job.

Oh, the game does run in full speed. The reason for the slowdonw, is the PS2 emultar, and my PC , which runs a bit slow. I tested the game in PS2 , everything works in full speed. So there is no problem. Sorry for the slowdonw, but the game uses 3d graphics which requires a lot of resources, and runs a bit slow on emulaotor only. Full speed on PS2.

Cheers.