Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
zowo101

Detective Conan for young children?

Detective Conan too scary?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should young children be allowed to watch Detective Conan?

• Yes!! (Duh)
    • No... It is a bit scary.
    • It depends..

It depend on your policies in raising children. Noted that violence scenes are reduced as time go on (in the anime). The first murder is one of the scariest.

I watched it as a kid, and never commits murder so far.

^.^ I let my little sister watch it ALL the time, and she doesn't get scared much (She's younger than Conan-kun), so I'd say it's okay for most cases. 

Actually, I first watched Detective Conan when I was 5-7 years old. I think it contributed more to my logical side than to my violent/murderous side. However, I don't think it's a good idea to let kids who are just in their learning stage (toddler years) watch Detective Conan. Anyway, the older ones could let them watch, but in that case they should be very selective on which episodes the kids are allowed to view (preferably the Detective Boys episodes). Additionally, like User 4869 mentioned earlier, the first seasons of the anime feature some of the scariest/most brutal murders (like the one in the Mountain Villa Bandaged Man Murder Case) so it's probably best to skip those seasons/episodes. Also, kids rarely grasp the plot when they're still very young, so I don't think it's much of a problem leaving out the plot-related episodes that could be considered scary/brutal.

i am of the opinion that murderous intent and other disorders aren't caused by watching bloody and scary stuff. all it will do is cause them to have nightmares but not much else.

conan is pretty mild if you compare it to a lot of other series; considering the underlying message that "murder is bad", it may actually scare them and dissuade them. i think it's fine.

I think kids around Conan's age would have no problem with it...it's originally made for kids anyway. If it's not for the kids, we would've had more romance  ): 

I'm sort of confused with dc's target audience. Even for me, the plots can be a bit complicated sometimes...I think the only thing the young kids understand is Conan's cool gadgets. Detective Conan plots can be made into teen novels any day, yet it's obviously made for kids with the 'rmb to watch it with lights on and stay away from the screen' notice in the beginning of ovas, etc. 

I seriously doubt that little kids would understand the 'private eye of the distant sea' plot. Maybe a few bloody scenes and corpses would be scary for them, but otherwise, it's pretty safe and it prompts them to think more deeply. Those who watch it as they grow up are going to be really clever people, probably.  

I first started watching when I was 3. Really, even if this is rated PG-13 (in American terms), it's all just animation, and they don't focus on the blood/violence/etc. Kids should be fine; it's an awesome series to watch anyway :D

But sometimes, especially when I first started watching, I get creeped out by it (usually the shady 'criminal'), but not anymore. It was just cuz the animation was pretty bad back then and the criminals would just make a creepy face. *~*