Detective Conan World
nanaironokaze

Troll on wiki?

I was lurking the DCW wiki today and when I when I clicked on the "akai shuichi" page I saw a rather distasteful message which definetly was not there earlier today. Can somebody fix it? 

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Shuichi_Akai

Thanks to whoever can change it back (I sure can't)!

I think this is actually supposed to go under the wiki discussion section...sorry for the mishap if that's the case!

• Upvote 2

If you all see anything like that, you can change it back yourself. Unfortunately, I think it is likely this particular troll will return. Here are two tutorials on how to undo the changes a troll made, because me or another mod may not be able to get there quick enough.

BBnt8Jf.png

Tutorial #2 in case #1 doesn't work for you

W5mqMxq.png

• Upvote 8

Oi, i was wondering... Like if you know the IP... so cant you take any legal action against him/her..? 

And on a personal note... WHY DID YOU JUST DISABLE HIS/HER ACCOUNT CREATION??? NUKE IT FOREVER... D:

Oi, i was wondering... Like if you know the IP... so cant you take any legal action against him/her..? 

And on a personal note... WHY DID YOU JUST DISABLE HIS/HER ACCOUNT CREATION??? NUKE IT FOREVER... D:

Which IP are you talking about?

In general to take legal action against an IP they need to be committing some sort of crime or infringements before contacting the ISP for discovery is worthwhile. It also needs to be serious enough to be worth the time and effort. Also legal action is worthless if it isn't going to be effective.

Usually none of the above are true for spammers or vandals. Submitting spam links/vandalism to a forum isn't illegal as far as I know, just obnoxious. Most spammers come from places like Pakistan where even big companies have trouble taking legal action. It isn't worth my time or effort to try to navigate a foreign legal system to fight a few advertising links. It is also unlikely to be effective because spammers just switch internet providers when they get the kick anyway. There is no hope of stopping spammers on their end unless you are a big company with sway and cash to burn. It's hard enough to report abuse even to American companies and have them take notice.

It is more effective just to blacklist IPs locally and then submit the offending IPs to spam lists that hopefully will cause many places to eventually blacklist the ISP until it cleans the spammers out (and there are many ISPs that never do because they like the revenue they get from spammers.)

That said, it would be would be super nice to be able to autoblock/autohide all messages from particular IP ranges or providers on the forum. We can do that on the wiki when there is abuse. There is one spammer from Pakistan that always uses the same two /16 blocks which no one else uses.