Detective Conan World
Black Demon

[SPOILER DISCUSSION] File 894-898 (Scarlet Series)

I dont know about Akai fleeing with Kir in her car, it would seem better and easier to just go of the road to avoid everyone. He probably had an escape rout ready.

Also Okiya  saying he loves the oscars means he expects to win one for his performance tonight against Amuro

Thank you for the translations!!!!!

but seriously Amuro -__-

"Im not yet sure how that kid is related to the kudo family that lives here"

ARE U SERIOUS!!!! -__- amuro your an idiot

plz tell me there is no break!!! i cant wait for 896 XD

I dont know about Akai fleeing with Kir in her car, it would seem better and easier to just go of the road to avoid everyone. He probably had an escape rout ready.

Also Okiya  saying he loves the oscars means he expects to win one for his performance tonight against Amuro

Or should we say the Moscars?

Or should we say the Moscars?

Oh yes, i forgot about censure or something like that,,,idk

Also how is this person, may he be akai may he be yusaku,going to get out of this situation. This situation is different, its not V this time but Amuro. If its not Akai then whats he going to do about him, let him be...

@Gas057: I'm guessing Amuro doesn't suspect that Conan is Shinichi yet because he is too logical to think that 17 year old people shrink into kids. 

@Gas057: I'm guessing Amuro doesn't suspect that Conan is Shinichi yet because he is too logical to think that 17 year old people shrink into kids. 

lol true true ^-^ but come on if Eisuke could figure it out then i was so sure that Amuro would know right away especially since he stayed at the shop after the Train case because he was suspicious of Conan

There might also be something about how old the characters are.

Shuichi Akai: ?? years old.

Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack): 33 years old.

Subaru Okiya: 27 years old.

Quattro Bajeena / Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam): 27 years old.

Masumi Sera: 16-17 years old.

Seila Mass (Mobile Suit Gundam): 17 years old.

Touru Amuro: 29 years old.

Amuro Ray (Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack): 29 years old.

It is likely that there are two people posing as Subaru Okiya for quite some time now, and it is also likely they share some likeness. What if the younger brother was the second person posing as Subaru Okiya ? Also Subaru's age is around the supposed age of Masumi's middle brother according to his friends. That could also explain two mysteries: the different main hand and the different builds. The Subaru that Masumi has met is either right-handed or ambidextrous while Akai is left-handed and he doesn't have the same constitution as Akai who is more muscular.

I think I've written something some months ago but it would be hard to find (I don't even remember the topic).

But the idea that Subaru Okiya is in fact two different people is very likely.

In volume 61, when Ran and Sonoko met Subaru in the bathroom, he was holding his toothbrush with the left hand, suggesting he is left-handed. In chapter 812, when Ran, Sonoko and Masumi met Subaru in the bathroom, he was holding his toothbrush with the right hand and he holds a comb with his left hand in his pocket. So he's either right-handed or ambidextrious (more likely ambidextrious). And, from time to time, he is seen using mostly his right-hand. The first Subaru hides his neck, the second doesn't. While this scene (in chapter 812) seems to imply that the neck was a red herring (debunking Sonoko's suspicions), it may in fact be the other way around, the trick being this Subaru wasn't the same person. Otherwise, why would have Subaru insisted on hiding his neck to Haibara some chapters before ?

From time to time, Subaru was also seen or suggested as right-handed, such as the way he put the sleeping Masumi Sera on the couch in the Belltree Express, suggesting he hold her with her upper body on his right arm (a left-handed person would have been holding her the opposite way).

Finally, there is the fact that Subaru doesn't appear to have the same build in his different appearances. The left-handed appears to be more muscular than his right-handed counterpart. It's hard to perceive when he wears only his black shirt, but it becomes more apparent when he wears his vest, such as in volume 60 and in chapter 895.

I think the second Subaru is the famous middle brother, also disguised, explaining why Masumi was suspicious while meeting him without recognizing her brother. Also, the second Subaru seems much more interested about the owner of the house, while the first one doesn't seem to care that much about it, and he was able to discover Conan's true identity, suggesting he has indeed some deductive skills. It could also be one way to explain why the middle brother was so confident about Conan's abilities while Masumi didn't know they had met already.

As for the glasses which are different in chapter 895, I think the second Subaru changed in urge as soon as he got Conan's phone call explaining the situation. That may be why he forgot to change his real glasses (with a straight branch) with the one Subaru is traditionnally using (with a rond branch). Being nearsighted/shortsighted, he wouldn't have noticed his mistake.

Can you direct me to the case,or if possible, pages, that Okiya look less muscular than usual - that is not the current case?

If possible, you should take a list of Okiya appearance and say which one is which (the original and the other), and why.

There's a certain spoiler from Movie 18 that interfere with your theory. If you don't mind the Okiya spoiler

In Movie 18, it is reveal that once Okiya high collar is slipped, he speak with Akai voice, Implying that on his neck is a voice changer, which explain why there's nothing on his neck (And he doesn't speak that time).

OK You may say as I always say. Movies are not canon. But look about these points

1 Gosho said there're will be some revelation in the movie.

2 He said you may know Okiya identity in the movie. and lastly

3 Unless Movie team think they are Chekhov or some stupidly high intelligence genius and come up with an explanation of Okiya neck on their own. It seem Gosho let them know the truth about Okiya neck.

BTW are you saying the first Okiya (v 60 arson case) is the thinner middle brother? That guy speak Holmes quote with Conan to get entrance Kudo house. That guy should be Shuichi Akai.

And it will be really weird for mystery train Okiya to supposely lay Sera down which his main right hand. Use cellphone with righthand (while open door with left hand)
To know about Akemi (and Ai identiy as Shiho.) To appear as Akai to throw a bomb. To show eye of Akai despite not look like Shuichi and Masumi by decription

There are three times when I think Subaru Okiya was another person:

-Files 812-814 (Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case)

-Files 820-823 (Belltree Express)

-Files 894-895 (Scarlet Showdown)

In these three cases, Subaru Okiya is definitely right-handed. Even when he uses his left hand, it's in situation right-handed people would also do it (such as holding their phone in their left hand to do other things with their right hand such as writing).

As for the build, he is definitely thiner in file 812 when Masumi met him in the bathroom and in files 894-895. But looking at the Belltree Express, he appears to be more muscular as in his other apperances so I'm wondering. Either I'm wrong or he wears something that he hadn't had the time to put on in file 812 and in files 894-895 (strangely, the two occurences were he is definitely thiner is when he hadn't had much time to prepare, especially on files 894-895 where Conan must have phoned him in urge and where Subaru puts the wrong glasses as a result).

I already explain why the belltree Okiya should be Akai. And the Scarlet Okiya is someone else according to the community.

The cold case Okiya have memory of Ran tell him about MR Kinichi. I'll let this slide because two Okiya can share information. But I still doubt second Okiya can conclude that Conan is Shinichi from that little information he gain in the case.

Then, there is one mystery: why would Gosho Aoyama show the character using a different main hand to the point he even recreates the exact same scene (the bathroom with the toothbrush) with this major inconsistency ? Narratively speaking, it would have no sense at all if not implying the possibility of two different characters.

Also, it is fact that there is a different person posing as Subaru Okiya in the current case. We could guess that someone takes the place of Akai only in the current case but, remembering that there were already some clues pointing out at Subaru Okiya being actually two people (as I've pointed out some months back), it's logical to deduce that this was already the case back then. I don't see why this theory would be impossible.

And it will be really weird for mystery train Okiya to supposely lay Sera down which his main right hand. Use cellphone with righthand (while open door with left hand)
To know about Akemi (and Ai identiy as Shiho.) To appear as Akai to throw a bomb. To show eye of Akai despite not look like Shuichi and Masumi by decription

Now that you mention it, I may have made a major mistake on that one. I thought Subaru Okiya was the second one because he was right-handed during this case (I'm 99,9% sure about that: he hold Masumi over his right shoulder given her position on the couch and he "texts" on his mobile phone using his right hand). Still, I also doubt he could have mimicked Akai's eye.

But what was Gosho Aoyama's intention during this story ? He wanted us to think that Subaru Okiya was Shuichi Akai. Clearly, he wanted to hide something else.

Now that I think about it, the trick is simple: it couldn't have worked if Shuichi Akai was not on the scene, still Subaru Okiya was seen as right-handed and therefore he couldn't be Shuichi Akai. Aoyama would have used the exact same trick he wanted to hide to create the illusion that Subaru was only one person.

If I'm right, he fooled me completely on that one until now. It didn't even occured to me that the two Subaru could be present at the same time. But that's the trick itself after all !

I think Akai may learn to use his weak hand to perfect his disguise. of course when the situation is serious (like executing some martial moves to rescue Haibara), he would still use his stronger hand. maybe Gosho used this to make us overthink?

I don't think so. I can't picture Aoyama using a trick that makes the reader overthink to confuse him. And for his trick to work, he needed to create the illusion that Subaru Okiya was only one person, and he did just that in the Belltree Express case with Shuichi Akai.

Also, the way Subaru Okiya changed his main hand is too sudden and he was seen as left-handed again later. The idea of Subaru Okiya being two persons is the most logical explanation to explain that inconsistency and it could bring a new light on the Belltree Express case. It's evident, narratively speaking, that Aoyama insists so much on the idea that Subaru and Akai are the same person so that he could hide something else from the reader. It's a decoy and the reader is so enthusiastic about this revelation that it didn't even occured to him there might be something else. It's a psychological trap and Aoyama uses the very trick he wants to hide from the reader to create that illusion (that Subaru was only one person). It is very ambitious narratively speaking and it worked: I haven't thought of it (the two Subaru being reunited on the same case) until someone pointed out the inconsistencies of this very case. Some things were impossible if Subaru is Akai while others were impossible if the real Akai wasn't on the train. So they had to be both in the Belltree Express to make perfect sense of this case. And I could think of Aoyama performing such a trick: distracting his reader from his main trick by revealing another trick so that he doesn't suspect anything.

That would be Aoyama and Akai's trump card and the reader and Bourbon would have completely fallen for it until the conclusion. The only question now is who this second Subaru is ? I don't buy Yukiko at all since she was in the Belltree Express as the same time as Akai and the second Subaru. I considered the possibility of Yusaku Kudo since he was seemingly absent of the Belltree Express while Yukiko was in it, but I doubt it since the second Subaru discovered Conan's true identity during Yusaku Kudo's cold case. The Academy Award is an obvious red herring but it could still have another meaning (maybe to cover some sound). So my best bet is: the middle brother.

Of the middle brother, we know that he is around 27, that he has some great deductive skills but he isn't a detective and, if he is indeed the second Subaru, that he is likely someone who knows Shinichi's parents. Might be an author of detective fiction or simply a fan of Yusaku. Also, maybe it isn't that he didn't want Masumi to stay at his house but maybe he couldn't because he wasn't in it because he was staying with Akai in the Kudo's house. And knowing the Kudo, he would have wondered what happened to their son, finding this whole "Kinichi" stuff strange and bringing this subject subtly in a later conversation (who occured in the first case the "right-handed" Subaru was seen). What happened to Shinichi, the boy who suddenly vanished to nowhere like magic, was surely a mystery he had on his mind for some time if he knows his parents. Disappearing into thin air like that might need a real sorcerer to accomplish such an act. And Shinichi is no sorcerer as long as everyone knows so he was still here somewhere.

By the way, about the whole "sorcerer" stuff, the middle brother knew that Masumi was searching for Shinichi and that she has met Conan. When he realized that Masumi was also conscious of Conan's abilities, he wanted to confirm if she has "met the sorcerer", meaning if she is conscious to have met Shinichi. It is also a Zeta Gundam joke where the main characters, as newtypes, are subconsciously aware that they have met Char Aznable without realizing yet that he is in fact Quattro Bajeena, their ace pilot and the deuteragonist of the series.

As for Bourbon, he is very close to the truth. He can't conclude the link between Conan and the Kudo yet because he doesn't have the information needed but he knows there is a connection somewhere. If he discovers the truth about Haibara or if he discovers that Conan has no legal existence and that no one even knew he existed before Shinichi's disappearance, then he would have all the infos he need.

There are three times when I think Subaru Okiya was another person:

-Files 812-814 (Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case)

-Files 820-823 (Belltree Express)

-Files 894-895 (Scarlet Showdown)

In these three cases, Subaru Okiya is definitely right-handed. Even when he uses his left hand, it's in situation right-handed people would also do it (such as holding their phone in their left hand to do other things with their right hand such as writing).

In Yuusaku's cold case, Okiya switched hands as soon as Masumi appeared; however, he had knowledge of a conversation "Kinichi" that only the "left handed" Okiya would know. The simplest explanation that fits the facts is that Okiya pretended to be right handed to throw Masumi off.

The one on the train should be the real Okiya, because the real Shuuichi appeared to toss a grenade while wearing the same clothes that Okiya is wearing. He also had Masumi's hat which was last seen in Masumi's room when Okiya was laying her down. It disappeared from her room and was found in the hallway later. Masumi became suspicious about who was wearing it.

Left handed characters do occasionally do things with their right hands. It is the aggregate you have to look for. I do believe the Scarlet Showdown Okiya is someone else, but not just because of his slightly different appearance (different glasses, + thinner shoulders), but because there is some foreshadowing, a good reason (Conan wants the real Akai to be free to move instead of pinned down by Bourbon in case rescuing is needed), and his behavior seems off -- seen especially in the strong negative reaction when Bourbon drags Conan into his explanation.

I think Amuro was wrong about the "Shuuichi escaping in Kir's car" part too. I think he bailed over the side of Raiha Pass at a safe part, sort of like how Camel dealt with it earlier. There was a thin gap in the rail where Shuuichi pulled up (right by the bush), and Shuuichi pulled up from the wrong direction so that he would be on the rail side. I don't believe that will be coincidence. It is also the perfect escape path for Jodie and Camel now that they are being chased, provided they can piece together the clues and have the courage to take Shuuichi's path to safety in the dark. I'm pretty sure they will.

In Yuusaku's cold case, Okiya switched hands as soon as Masumi appeared; however, he had knowledge of a conversation "Kinichi" that only the "left handed" Okiya would know. The simplest explanation that fits the facts is that Okiya pretended to be right handed to throw Masumi off.

It could be that Subaru wanted to fool Masumi. But nothing confirms it so far and Subaru was implied as right-handed in the Belltree Express case without Masumi being around.

As for "Kinichi", of course the two Subaru would be discussing such a thing to complete the illusion of being the same person so the second would evidently know about it. But what ticks me the most is that Subaru brings the "Kinichi" stuff into a conversation during the very first occasion he was seen as right-handed, while "Subaru" didn't seem to care before that. By thinking this second Subaru is a different person who knows the Kudo, it's evident he would have wondered about the disappearence of Shinichi and the obvious "Kinichi" lie. What happened to Shinichi ? Where would he have vanished ? Only a sorcerer could disappear like that, so he knew Shinichi must still be somewhere around.

The one on the train should be the real Okiya, because the real Shuuichi appeared to toss a grenade while wearing the same clothes that Okiya is wearing. He also had Masumi's hat which was last seen in Masumi's room when Okiya was laying her down. It disappeared from her room and was found in the hallway later. Masumi became suspicious about who was wearing it.

This is this very inconsistency that brings me to realize that both Subaru must have been on the Belltree Express. And also from a narrative point of view, it makes complete sense about what Aoyama was doing. Why would he revealed about Subaru being Akai in such a way ? Why would he implied it so much ? In detective litterature, it's obviously a diversion to hide something else that the author doesn't want the reader to point out.

The whole thing about the Belltree Express was to give the reader the illusion that Subaru is only one person and that this person is Shuichi Akai. To accomplish that, both Subaru must have been on the train: the one we saw who is right-handed (when noticed, it's evident he isn't Shuichi Akai) and Shuichi Akai who appears at some moments to complete that illusion. Of course, in order to hide his trick (that there are two Subaru), he mustn't show the other Subaru, the left-handed one, otherwise it would become too apparent that Subaru is in fact two different persons present on the Belltree Express at the same time. Subaru must appear as much as possible to the reader to be only one person, heavily implied to be Shuichi Akai, while both were involved with this case. The whole trick could only work if the reader believes in that illusion and that's why Aoyama implied Subaru to be Akai so much during this case.

Left handed characters do occasionally do things with their right hands. It is the aggregate you have to look for. I do believe the Scarlet Showdown Okiya is someone else, but not just because of his appearence, but because there is some foreshadowing, a good reason, and his behavior seems off, especially the strong negative reaction when Bourbon drags Conan into his explanation.

Of course I've thought of that, but a left-handed person wouldn't "text" on his mobile phone using his right hand. And a left-handed person wouldn't hold a more standard phone with his left hand on his left ear, he would keep his main hand free to do other things (such as writing on a paper while listening to the phone). I'm right-handed and I naturally hold my standard phone with my left hand on my left ear so I can use my main hand to write something or other things like that, but when I texts a message on a mobile phone, I hold it with my right hand AND I text on it with the same hand at the same time. While doing it, I use my left hand if I have to touch something (such as opening a door). That's more convenient for me as right-handed and that's exactly what the second Subaru was doing.

And Subaru couldn't have anticipated that Masumi would find him on the bathroom, while he hold his toothbrush with the opposing hand of before. That scene alone and the fact that Aoyama deliberately repeated a previous situation with this major inconsistancy proves that something is on here, otherwise he surely wouldn't have done it that way.

And the foreshadowing is made evident (to the point the branch of the glasses is not the same) in the current case so that the reader would think something is odd only right now, while it would have already been the case for quiet some time. It's part of the trick and it could easily be explained by the fact that Conan only discovered about Bourbon's suspicions very late so Subaru wouldn't have noticed he's put the wrong glasses because he hurried. All the more reason if he is really near-sighted, he wouldn't have noticed the difference even more (and that could even explain this second pair of glasses which is not Yusaku's based on their branch). And for his off-behaviour... well, he is acting as a bait while something is on. It's not unnatural to have an strange behaviour in this kind of situation.

And Subaru couldn't have anticipated Masumi would be finding him on the bathroom, while he hold his toothbrush with the opposing hand of before. That scene alone and the fact that Aoyama deliberately repeated a previous situation with this major inconsistancy proves that something is on, otherwise he surely wouldn't have done it (the right-handedness) that way.

What scenes are these, precisely? Wouldn’t someone coming into your house make noise, so you’d hear them?

What scenes are these, precisely?

Chapter 638: Ran and Sonoko meet Subaru for the first time in the bathroom of Kudo's house. Subaru is holding his toothbrush with his left hand.

Chapter 812: Ran, Sonoko and Masumi (for the first time) meet Subaru in the bathroom of Kudo's house. Subaru is holding his toothbrush with his right hand while holding a comb with his left hand in his pocket, suggesting he could even be ambidextrous. During this case, his right hand appears to be his main hand as we see him later taking a photo with his right hand from an envelope he holds in his left hand, like a right-handed person would do. Like Chekhov said, it could be that he was trying to fool Masumi but, some cases later, he was implied as right-handed again during the Belltree Express case such as how he texts on a mobile phone with his right hand or how he puts the sleeping Masumi on the couch, suggesting his right shoulder supported her upper body while he was holding her, something only right-handed people would do when holding someone.

Wouldn’t someone coming into your house make noise, so you’d hear them?

That one is possible, I admit. Subaru couldn't have known they were coming but he could have heard the girls enter in the house, especially since Masumi announced themselves upon entering.

As for Amuro, I wonder if the people waiting outside of the house are really BO. I considered some files before that Amuro could be MI6 given his nickname as a child, "Zero" ("Rei", an obvious reference to Amuro Ray of Gundam), but he said that he's not a spy to Conan (and I didn't know at the time that "Zero" was also used by the japanese secret services). Still, for some reason, I doubt that the men waiting outside are really BO. There must be something else. Of course, Amuro could also have lied to protect his cover.

Otherwise, as I've said, I doubt that the second Subaru is Yusaku Kudo:

1) The Academy Award could easily be a red-herring.

2) The second Subaru discovered Conan's true identity during Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case, something Yusaku was already aware of.

3) It's highly likely that the glasses the second Subaru wears in the current case are his own. The second Subaru would have disguised in a hurry, Conan having found out too late about Bourbon's suspicions, and in the confusion he wouldn't have realized he puts his own glasses and not the one Subaru is usually seen wearing. The clue is the branch of the glasses which is straight while the branch of the glasses Subaru usually wears have a rond form. In his hurry and being near-sighted, he wouldn't have realized his mistake. And the straight form of the branch also rules out the possibility of Yusaku Kudo being the second Subaru since his glasses have also a rond branch. The second Subaru is likely someone who is near-sighted and who usually wears glasses with a straight branch.

It could be that Subaru wanted to fool Masumi. But nothing confirms it so far and Subaru was implied as right-handed in the Belltree Express case without Masumi being around.

Based on that list I have been keeping on the personal wiki page, Subaru is left handed, as much as Gin is.

Based on that list I have been keeping on the personal wiki page, Subaru is left handed, as much as Gin is.

Then check the Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case (files 812-814) and the Belltree Express case (files 820-823) because it's pretty clear Subaru was right-handed on these occasions. I invent nothing, it's in the manga.

Also, I've compared the two bathroom scenes (files 638 and 812). The first shot of these scenes is precisely the same with only two major differences: Masumi seeing Subaru instead of Ran (but similar position and similar expression of surprise) and Subaru's hands being reversed with the right hand holding the toothbrush and the left hand posed on the table instead of the contrary as seen in file 638.

And even if he was trying to fool Masumi by acting as right-handed, he had no reason to do so in front of Haibara since he wanted her to think that he was indeed the real Shuichi Akai. He could have dropped the act.

If a character is seen with a different main hand at different times, it's only logical to deduce that they are two different people. And the Belltree Express case makes perfect sense only if both Subaru were present at the same time on the train: the right-handed one the reader sees and the real Shuichi Akai (who is left-handed) to complete the illusion of Subaru being only one person and that person being Shuichi Akai. The trick is simple and he can't be discovered if the reader doesn't point out the contradiction of Subaru being right-handed in this case. But like in Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case with Subaru's neck, Aoyama used distractions to divert the reader's attention from the key point and these distractions are the mystery of the identity of Bourbon on which the reader focalises in priority and the obvious hints about Shuichi Akai being Subaru, the very illusion he wanted to give us. This one was a psychological trap but a great trick nonetheless because, while diverting the reader's attention from a key point, it's also part of the truth.

Yukiko's implied presence during the Yusaku Kudo's Cold Case to perform a disguise with a wig to Subaru, Subaru's sudden allusion to the "Kinichi" matter during the first occasion he is seen as right-handed (suggesting his interest and his detective skills), and finally this second pair of glasses which are not Subaru's or Yusaku's are all more reasons to suspect a second person is posing as Subaru. And I suspect this second person to be the middle brother Masumi has been telling of, the one with strong observation and deductive skills but who is not a detective himself. Given his interest in detective stuff and the fact that he likely knows the Kudo, he could be another detective fiction writer or simply a fan of Yusaku. And such a person would surely have been intrigued by Shinichi's sudden disappearance and the obvious lie about the son's owner being a certain Kinichi, suspecting they might be hiding something from him. As Shinichi is no sorcerer, he couldn't have vanished into thin air like it appears to be so he had to still be somewhere around. And he found him. And so did his sister who was searching for him.

Also, to support that theory of the second Subaru being the middle brother, I'd like to point out the fact that Conan started to really suspect that Masumi could be Akai's sister ONLY after she talks about her middle brother who is around 27. Until then, he thought she had only one brother who is said to be dead and he didn't seem to suspect she could be Akai's sister. Everything changed drastically after she talked of her middle brother with Conan making suggestions of the possibility of Masumi being Akai's sister from that moment onward. This suggests that he already knew that Akai had a brother. And Akai being a secretive person, he wouldn't have disclosed that information without any reason. So Conan knew it because he met the middle brother as the right-handed Subaru as part of their deception.

But before that, Conan already had the impression that he had met Masumi somewhere in the past and he even asked her about it so there must also be something else about that. Still, it could provide some more support to the theory of the middle brother being someone that knows the Kudo well. And Masumi seems to recognize Shinichi from the first time she saw Conan, already aware of the effect of the APTX-4869, so she has probably met him as children and she must have changed a lot so Shinichi didn't recognize her (maybe she looked more feminine back then). Of course, Ran would have been with them, considering she also seems to remember Masumi from somewhere and Masumi herself making many suggestions about Ran having met her mother (maybe Ran was impressed by the length of her breasts back then, wondering if she would have such long breasts as an adult or something like that, because Masumi really insisted on it when talking about her mother).

Edit: Even though most of this theory holds itself well so far, I've made a mistake about the current case: a day has gone by between Conan's realization that Bourbon has discovered the truth and the moment the man in black appears at the entrance of his house. So the right-handed Subaru wasn't in a hurry when he prepared. Still, he made a mistake by putting the wrong glasses on and these glasses are evidence enough that he is definitely someone else since Shuichi Akai is not near-sighted and Yusaku Kudo has never wear this kind of glasses (so Subaru is not Yusaku Kudo and he couldn't even have found these glasses in Kudo's house). These glasses likely belongs to the real person who poses as the right-handed Subaru and for some reason he made that crucial mistake. But why ?

Then again, he was told to act like a bait so that could be enough reason to be distracted. But there might still be something else. What could have happened during that time period of 24 hours that could explain this inconsistency ? What if he couldn't wear the usual glasses for some reason so he had to use his own to replace them ? And I don't take that he simply broke them for an answer without a more specific reason, that would be too silly. But at least, if he really did broke them, it would be even more reason to suspect that he is really near-sighted and therefore that the glasses he wears currently are indeed his own (they don't come out of nowhere and they're definitely not Yusaku's who was never seen wearing this pair before, even in flash-back, so Subaru couldn't have found them in the house).

Oh, by the way, concerning the mysterious girl that Masumi is hiding in her hotel room and who appears to be a victim of the APTX-4869, we can easily deduce that she has some great knowledge about technology and that she was involved at some point and in some way with the BO. A character that could fit this description is Amuro's mother who appeared to be some kind of scientist (at least, she has the look of it) and who left him due to her work in a foreign place. Still, I can't definitely assume it's her, I don't think we have enough elements to draw any conclusion on that one.

Also, the girl appears to have similar eyes to Shuichi and Sera so they might be related. We don't see the eyes of Amuro's mother, hidden behind the glasses, so we can't conclude anything here but she doesn't have a big chest so we can rule out her being the same as Sera's mother. Still, if the girl and Amuro's mother are indeed one and the same, we know she couldn't be Sera's sister but she could still be her cousin or her aunt. Considering the girl shares similar eyes with Shuichi and Sera who look like their mother, she could definitely be family from her side. Meaning Amuro could be Shuichi and Masumi's cousin, explaining why Amuro knew Masumi during file 800 (at the end of the car chase).

Also Amuro's past may be linked in some way to the city of London. First he has met Elena Miyano, Ai Haibara's mother, who is british. Then he has a surname who alludes to MI6, "Zero" ("Rei" in japanese). Finally, if we take Gundam's hints for granted, then there is a pretty big hint that links Amuro to this city: we know Amuro is based on Amuro Ray, a main character from Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack. In Mobile Suit Gundam, he is 15-16 and a member of the army of the Earth Federation. In Zeta Gundam, he is 23 and a member of the resistance group Karaba. Finally, on his final appearance in Char's Counterattack, Amuro is 29 (precisely Touru Amuro's age) and he is a key member of a federal organization named... Londo Bell, an obvious reference to the Big Ben, symbol of the city of London. Of course, it could be only an innocent allusion, but the first two clues also link Amuro to London so we can't rule it out because it could also be of some importance as far as we know.

And I said that the Academy Award is likely a red-herring which seems pretty obvious, still it's not Aoyama's style to do something without a clear reason. Even if the intention was to fool the reader into thinking the right-handed Subaru is Yusaku Kudo, there could still be another meaning. And I might have thought of something actually. If I go through with my hypothesis about the middle brother being an author of detective fiction like Yusaku, maybe Subaru isn't really faking his interest in the Academy Award after all. Maybe the ceremony is meant to reveal an important truth to the reader: the real identity of the second Subaru Okiya, the name of the middle brother of Shuichi Akai and Masumi Sera. If I go through with this line of reasoning about the middle brother being an author of detective novels, he might also be in competition for the Oscars. I wonder why it didn't occurred to me earlier when I wondered about how the Academy Awards could connect to the whole picture.

@glass heart:I personally thing there is no proof to support your theory,Gosho has pointed so many clues to show that Okiya=Akai(even in the movie).Concerning Amuro,the woman in his flashback isn't his mother,it's Elena,(ai's mother).Gosho said that in one of his recent interview.And I really don't understand how you can relate Amuro with the little girl who is hidden by Sera,and is clearly related to the Akai family.

Anyway just wait for the future files to see if your theory is correct^^

I personally thing there is no proof to support your theory,Gosho has pointed so many clues to show that Okiya=Akai(even in the movie).

I didn't say that Akai wasn't Subaru, just that it couldn't have been him in all of Subaru's appearances. And I personally think that Aoyama gave way too many hints (and too obvious) about Akai being Subaru.

And I think there are also enough elements to suggest the possibility of a second person posing as Subaru. Three contradictions even appeared in the same case: Subaru suddenly switching his main hand to become right-handed, the presence of Yukiko to provide him a disguise without any apparent reason (Akai already had his disguise as Subaru and he could have appeared as himself without the need of one, so he didn't need her) and his sudden interest for Shinichi's disappearance and the "Kinichi" lie. He again appeared as right-handed in the Belltree Express case (so I think both Subaru were aboard at that time, given Akai also appeared on the train). Finally, there is this pair of glasses Subaru wears in the current case which is not his usual one and which also doesn't belong to Yusaku Kudo (and Akai isn't near-sighted so he couldn't have one).

A "Subaru is only Akai" theory couldn't explain all of those elements, it even creates some contradictions, so there has to be something else, something important, something no one has thought of until now and that Gosho Aoyama doesn't want us to suspect until the big reveal. I don't say that this theory is absolutely right (far from it), but it could still provide some explanations to some of the mysteries in a coherent way. I really tried to find some logic which could explain all of those elements and which could provide a whole reading of the events that entirely works from the same point of view (Subaru being not only one but two people).

Concerning Amuro,the woman in his flashback isn't his mother,it's Elena,(ai's mother).Gosho said that in one of his recent interview.

Really ? Personally I don't read the interviews. But still, I think it's strange that the author reveals plot elements like that.

To be honest, I have thought that Elena could be the woman in the flashback as a first guess but, by checking them, I thought that they didn't look alike so I dismissed it.

And I really don't understand how you can relate Amuro with the little girl who is hidden by Sera,and is clearly related to the Akai family.

I've explained my reasoning. I couldn't tell more. Amuro's mother looks like a scientist and if there is only one thing we are sure about the mysterious girl, it's that she has great knowledge about technology and that she was involved with the BO at some point in time and in some way. Given that Amuro knew the Miyano, that his mother could be some kind of scientist and that the Miyano were involved with the BO, his mother could also have worked for them.

Now, if this is indeed Elena Miyano in the flash-back scene, then this whole part is inaccurate.

Anyway just wait for the future files to see if your theory is correct^^

It's a game. You win or you lose. You don't have nothing to really won about it, but at least you play. I'm taking my bet on that theory and I'll see. Even if some things may be right, I'm not expecting to have correctly guessed all of it, I just wanted to find a coherent theory which could explain as many of these mysteries as possible. And personally, I think this one works well so far with the elements we know, but you can disagree with me.