Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Scowling Dragon

Does Kogoro ever do more than flirt in the series?

Yeah thats all i see him do too mostly. I wish he was more involved. I even think he used to do more with the over the sholder throw to stop criminals was way better.

No I mean sexualy (Though I compeltly agree that Kogoro should be involved more. Stories that focus on him are usually better than any with connan focused ones). I know this sounds weird, but I want too find out if he goes into a more "Serious' relationship with anybody in the series other than just a flirt or such.

This is just to confirm my suspicious for which I would post a different thread to explain.

Yeah I know but Im looking for more reasons for Eri to be upset. What im looking for is Evidence that Eri is not being a needless tease. If all Kogor does is flirt with girls whilst his wife belittles, insults, (Is not afraid to dump her cat into his lap if she feels like it) and lives away from him, is willing to receive expensive gifts and his attention, then that makes her a tease.

She is not willing to invest into the relationship, but demands that Kogoro does even though she gives him no incentive to do so. Kogoro has flaws but Eri doesn't ask him about them. I don't think I see anybody in the show say once "Hey Dad/Mouri could you stop Flirting/Being drunk, your actions really hurts me in so and so way. Please stop it. I would greatly appreciate it"

All they do is get upset and indignant and quietly keep their disdain to themselves. The only people that seem to be bothered by Kogoros brash actions are his direct family, and they NEVER ACT ON IT. They just quietly bottle up their disdain and snip at him from a distance. How is he supposed to stop doing it unless you make it known to him?

Thats why I made this thread to make sure that he doesn't/ didn't do anything worse than just flirt with girls and get drunk/ gamble. If so, then Eri doesn't come off as such a mean Tease.

I don't think I see anybody in the show say once "Hey Dad/Mouri could you stop Flirting/Being drunk, your actions really hurts me in so and so way. Please stop it. I would greatly appreciate it"

An adult should obviously know that nobody appreciates a drunk next to them, even the less, a sexual maniac who flirts with young girls on his forties.

Ran has to watch after him as if he was her little brother. I really don't understand people like Mouri.

They should know where to stop or what to stop, but they really can't be helped. They're not in an age to learn what's wrong and what's right.

She is not willing to invest into the relationship, but demands that Kogoro does even though she gives him no incentive to do so.

The likely reason behind that is that Kogoro left her and insulted her cooking, blah, blah. Hence a little fight, childhood sweethearts happily married for many years, separated. And since Eri is the one that went, Kogoro should be the one to get her back.

Well, this is just women. They mostly think they're some prize, having which is such a great privilege.

An adult should obviously know that nobody appreciates a drunk next to them, even the less, a sexual maniac who flirts with young girls on his forties.

Ran has to watch after him as if he was her little brother. I really don't understand people like Mouri.

Outside of the weirdness that any girl he flirts with tends not to be annoyed in any way (Or express annoyance in any way), maybe they find it charming? Considering we never see him even touch them, and he has been separated from his wife for 10 years, that man has the self control of a chastity god. Unless there are prostitutes he hires on the sides or something but thats the evidence Im looking for. The guys wife is mean to him, and he hasn't had any for 10 years. 

As for drunkenness I again chalk it up too "Obliviousness". Some people are just like that. They don't notice who they hurt sometimes. Makes all the more sense for people just to calmly explain how he hurts them. He comes of as more of an oblivious man rather then a hurtful or spiteful or uncaring one. 

They should know where to stop or what to stop, but they really can't be helped. They're not in an age to learn what's wrong and what's right.

Its never too late what's wrong or right. My Dad does some mean things, but he tries hard after I made it known how it hurts me. Hurting somebody you love is a strong motivational force.

The likely reason behind that is that Kogoro left her and insulted her cooking, blah, blah. Hence a little fight, childhood sweethearts happily married for many years, separated. And since Eri is the one that went, Kogoro should be the one to get her back.

Seriously? That woman is kinda contemptible. Stop dangling his chain. Just outright come out and say it and not wait until he gets it based off of your spite and contemptible attitude for him (Wow an expensive necklace? NOW i'l go too the hotel! Material possessions proves how much he's invested. Not life-saving stuff or love or whatever).

Is him saving her life cannon?

Outside of the weirdness that any girl he flirts with tends not to be annoyed in any way (Or express annoyance in any way), maybe they find it charming? Considering we never see him even touch them, and he has been separated from his wife for 10 years, that man has the self control of a chastity god. Unless there are prostitutes he hires on the sides or something but thats the evidence Im looking for. The guys wife is mean to him, and he hasn't had any for 10 years. 

As for drunkenness I again chalk it up too "Obliviousness". Some people are just like that. They don't notice who they hurt sometimes. Makes all the more sense for people just to calmly explain how he hurts them. He comes of as more of an oblivious man rather then a hurtful or spiteful or uncaring one. 

Its never too late what's wrong or right. My Dad does some mean things, but he tries hard after I made it known how it hurts me. Hurting somebody you love is a strong motivational force.

Seriously? That woman is kinda contemptible. Stop dangling his chain. Just outright come out and say it and not wait until he gets it based off of your spite and contemptible attitude for him (Wow an expensive necklace? NOW i'l go too the hotel! Material possessions proves how much he's invested. Not life-saving stuff or love or whatever).

Is him saving her life cannon?

No. It's on movie 2. If you mean the one where she gets taken hostage and Mouri scrates her leg with a bullet. (how sweet...)

But I doubt there will be any other stories to how they broke up, since they would contradict each-other and that wouldn't make much sense. He might have saved her many more times I can't even remember...

So yeah... Her leaving his her gratitude, in a nutshell. After Mouri resigned his job from the police and took the anger out on Eri, his dear wife helps him on of his worst days of a lifetime as gratitude to saviour and consideration as to him her love interest for many years now, by dumping him. (how considerate...)

I won't continue the discussion of drunks since I'm probably still too young to make any straight decision about my opinion on them.

Oh they find it charming indeed. Taking a close picture with an elder "celebrity" just to mock them after his the most they seem to be interested into. Even the attorney that wanted to raise suspicion of love between her and Mouri, didn't really love him. None except from Eri really does... If they put a red nose on his face, he'd then fit their purpose.

miOjFdys.jpg

No I mean sexualy

No, Kogoro has kept his fidelity to Eri.

Yeah I know but Im looking for more reasons for Eri to be upset. What im looking for is Evidence that Eri is not being a needless tease. If all Kogor does is flirt with girls whilst his wife belittles, insults, (Is not afraid to dump her cat into his lap if she feels like it) and lives away from him, is willing to receive expensive gifts and his attention, then that makes her a tease.

How is Eri a tease? He flirts and gets touchy with other women in front of her. That's a pretty horrible personality trait for a husband.

Lately it's been more bad luck for Kogoro then bad choices. He tries to do something romantic to show he really is serious then something turns out badly to give Eri a bad impression of him (exhibit 1: gets Eri a necklace, but packages are switched and he gives her a Buddhist bracelet sometimes associated with death.)

She is not willing to invest into the relationship, but demands that Kogoro does even though she gives him no incentive to do so. Kogoro has flaws but Eri doesn't ask him about them. I don't think I see anybody in the show say once "Hey Dad/Mouri could you stop Flirting/Being drunk, your actions really hurts me in so and so way. Please stop it. I would greatly appreciate it"

Kogoro knows he shouldn't do these things. He's not stupid. I'm pretty sure he knows that's the reason why Eri isn't coming back.

Well, this is just women. They mostly think they're some prize, having which is such a great privilege.

Hello sexism.

Outside of the weirdness that any girl he flirts with tends not to be annoyed in any way (Or express annoyance in any way), maybe they find it charming?

No they are annoyed. Remember this is Japanese society, and it is considered improper to embarrass someone in polite company by telling them to get the hell away from me. Kogoro is being extremely rude by taking advantage of this to bother women, because they can't really do anything without shaming him or themselves. "Proper behavior" would be tough it out and try not to let happen again.

Considering we never see him even touch them, and he has been separated from his wife for 10 years, that man has the self control of a chastity god. Unless there are prostitutes he hires on the sides or something but thats the evidence Im looking for. The guys wife is mean to him, and he hasn't had any for 10 years.

I think men are a little stronger in self control than you give them credit for.

Both Eri and Kogoro are immature in their own ways, but they are probably the most realistic marriage in this whole series. Marrying your childhood sweetheart (chances are they didn't seriously date anybody else!) and having your first kid at about age 20(!!!) is extremely fast. That kind of marriage usually has problems because people are still growing up in many regards at those ages. Over the course of the series Kogoro has matured more and more, and his attempts to convince Eri to come back are getting closer to the mark. Eri too is getting closer to Kogoro as well and realizing his heart is in the right place despite what he does while drunk. It's a matter of time and luck before a plan succeeds (at the end of the series no doubt.)

Also this thread is a sexism landmine.

• Upvote 1

How do you edit these fiddly quotation bars?

"He flirts and gets touchy with other women in front of her. That's a pretty horrible personality trait for a husband."

They have been essentially divorced for 10 years. I don't think we see any evidence of him ever doing so when they were living together. She tends to belittle him and insult him pretty much nonstop. Why shouldn't he flirt?

"Kogoro knows he shouldn't do these things. He's not stupid. I'm pretty sure he knows that's the reason why Eri isn't coming back."

Why? I mean is he just inconsistent? Like "Im totaly in love with you enough too save your life on multiple occasions and really care about proving your innocence but changing my habits? NO". Thats just lazy writing. Maybe I am looking too deeply into this and Kogoro is just a lazily written character.

"Hello sexism."

Looking at the divorce rates (And the initiators of divorce) and the reasons stated for divorce this is pretty accurate. Call it sexism, but until I see evidence otherwise I see that as pretty accurate.

"No they are annoyed. Remember this is Japanese society, and it is considered improper to embarrass someone in polite company by telling them to get the hell away from me. Kogoro is being extremely rude by taking advantage of this to bother women, because they can't really do anything without shaming him or themselves. "Proper behavior" would be tough it out and try not to let happen again."

Evidence please. I don't buy that. The Women show NO emotion. Not even a HINT. Im pretty sure women in Japan are not THAT polite. And the men surrounding the women (And other women) tend not to think anything about it either. Like even friends or close family. They don't even flinch. Does Kogoro just create an "Anti-Sexual harassment law" bubble around him? I mean they "comically" hit perverts or whatever, but when they grow older they suddenly loose that ability? I call bullcrap.

"I think men are a little stronger in self control than you give them credit for."

Oh sure they are. I'm not meaning it in that way. Im just saying that he remains faithful to his wife and does at least seem to make steps to rekindle the relationship. Eri doesn't seem to do so. Relationships are something you work at. Its something that you nurture from both sides.

"He has too get it on his own and I will take no steps forward on my own teehee *Bat eyelashes*" isn't really fair. Also I found it immensely vapid that Eri agreed too go too the hotel with Kogoro only after the reveal of the expensive jewelry. That was immensly vapid.

I buy the "Kogoro is just oblivious" thing more (He ignores his constant passing out streaks and blackouts. In fact everybody does. People in this show have too grab the idiot ball like every 10 seconds) then his selective devotion (Im sometimes utterly devoted too you, and sometimes im not). 

"Also this thread is a sexism landmine."

Why? Im not seeing anything that risqe. It will pass away on its own if you don't make a bigger deal out of it.

How do you edit these fiddly quotation bars?

"He flirts and gets touchy with other women in front of her. That's a pretty horrible personality trait for a husband."

They have been essentially divorced for 10 years. I don't think we see any evidence of him ever doing so when they were living together. She tends to belittle him and insult him pretty much nonstop. Why shouldn't he flirt?
Kogoro can flirt all he wants if he doesn't have any intention of getting back with Eri. If he does want to continue their marriage, he shouldn't out of respect to her (and she shouldn't flirt either, but that's not usually a problem because Eri is straighter-laced). Also I'm pretty sure he used to flirt in the past even when he was married. I can go on a source hunt later when I have more time.

"Kogoro knows he shouldn't do these things. He's not stupid. I'm pretty sure he knows that's the reason why Eri isn't coming back."

Why? I mean is he just inconsistent? Like "Im totaly in love with you enough too save your life on multiple occasions and really care about proving your innocence but changing my habits? NO". Thats just lazy writing. Maybe I am looking too deeply into this and Kogoro is just a lazily written character.
Kogoro isn't lazily written. Honestly I think, at the beginning of DC, he is depressed and lost confidence in himself. Kogoro was kind of a lousy cop, had gone through a very rough patch in his marriage, and done terribly as a private detective. He started drinking a lot more to the point where Ran was the parent. To me, that looks like depression. People with depression have a hard time fixing the things they need to change most in order to pull themselves out of it because they have no confidence that it will change anything in the long run; they feel like a failure all the time. That's why we are seeing major changes now in Kogoro's bad habits as he has gained a reputation. He is getting his confidence back and pulling himself out of it.

"Hello sexism."

Looking at the divorce rates (And the initiators of divorce) and the reasons stated for divorce this is pretty accurate. Call it sexism, but until I see evidence otherwise I see that as pretty accurate.
Saying that it is typical of women see themselves as a prize that is a great privilege to have is pretty sexist. Sure there are some shallow women who act like that, but there are also shallow men who think women are like trophies.

If you think that most divorces are really over reasons like this, you're pretty out of touch.

Post is in two parts because there is a limit on quoting per post...

• Upvote 1

Second part of post.

"No they are annoyed. Remember this is Japanese society, and it is considered improper to embarrass someone in polite company by telling them to get the hell away from me. Kogoro is being extremely rude by taking advantage of this to bother women, because they can't really do anything without shaming him or themselves. "Proper behavior" would be tough it out and try not to let happen again."

Evidence please. I don't buy that. The Women show NO emotion. Not even a HINT. Im pretty sure women in Japan are not THAT polite. And the men surrounding the women (And other women) tend not to think anything about it either. Like even friends or close family. They don't even flinch. Does Kogoro just create an "Anti-Sexual harassment law" bubble around him? I mean they "comically" hit perverts or whatever, but when they grow older they suddenly loose that ability? I call bullcrap.
Check point number 2

Check the section where is talks about Asia. It mentions more about Hong Kong, but the situation is pretty similar in Japan.

Japanese citizens are often selfconscious of how their actions will affect those around them. With this group mentality in place, litigation, as an attempt to right individual wrongs, is a very unattractive option for most Japanese women. - Context is litigation, but this is the type of attitude I am talking about.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0_sMPTZevVsC&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=Japanese+culture+sexual+harassment+culture&source=bl&ots=W3KWXNF_BY&sig=tlXcq6tfqCs84gRU-aTi1AejdLA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=2jfbUvnSE_SvsQTb2oCYDw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Japanese%20culture%20sexual%20harassment%20culture&f=false

There is a Japanese term for a virtue I am forgetting the name of, but it equates in English to enduring difficult situations quietly. In comparison to westerners, the average Japanese person is more likely to choose to quietly endure a problem than make a fuss. This isn't to say all Japanese are like this, and everyone has a breaking point, but having met many japanese in my working life, I find that they are more likely to avoid arguments or open conflict than westerners are - on average.

"I think men are a little stronger in self control than you give them credit for."

Oh sure they are. I'm not meaning it in that way. Im just saying that he remains faithful to his wife and does at least seem to make steps to rekindle the relationship. Eri doesn't seem to do so. Relationships are something you work at. Its something that you nurture from both sides.

"He has too get it on his own and I will take no steps forward on my own teehee *Bat eyelashes*" isn't really fair. Also I found it immensely vapid that Eri agreed too go too the hotel with Kogoro only after the reveal of the expensive jewelry. That was immensly vapid.

Give Eri credit for being a little subtle. She usually knows perfectly well when Ran is planning one of her get Mom back with Dad ideas and goes along with it anyway. If she expected Kogoro to be the one to do the work, she wouldn't bother to participate. Eri keeps giving him chances and goes along with his ploys - even the really stupid ones like pretending to forget about her birthday to lower her expectations first, despite all the immature sniping about him she does at his expense.

You have to remember in Eri's mind (and Kogoro's for that matter), that Eri left and it is Kogoro who needs to shape up if he wants her back. And to be fair, while Eri does contribute problems to the marriage with her sarcasm and queenly attitude, Kogoro adds a lot more problems than she does with general irresponsible and immature behavior and sarcasm back. Both of them are immature, but the one who needs to change the most here to get it to work is Kogoro.

Also this thread is a sexism landmine.

Why? Im not seeing anything that risqe. It will pass away on its own if you don't make a bigger deal out of it.
When discussing Eri, there are are a lot of outdated attitudes about women being the main source of various problems in this thread. I pointed out the prize example above as the most obvious. Usually the Detective Conan fandom attracts a higher proportion of mature people, so reading a thread like this is a bit of an unwelcome surprise.

Edit: another example is the attitude that Eri owes Kogoro sex for him saving her life. Demanding sex in exchange for any action is disgusting no matter who is doing the demanding, and so is the attitude that believes it is acceptable to do so. Should Ran spread her legs for Shinichi because he saved her life? No, if she and Shinichi get that far it will because she wants to be intimate with him, not because she owes him anything. That dynamic doesn't change in marriage; marriage isn't and was never a ticket to get sex whenever you want it. (Spousal rape is a real thing.)

• Upvote 1