Detective Conan World
Black Demon

Movie 17 Discussion Thread

I'm making this thread for discussions and opinions regarding movie 17 since there wasn't one already. The other thread in the "News and updates" section is best left for, well, news and updates only.

My opinions about this movie (contain heavy spoilers, so it's best not to read it if you haven't watched the movie):

What I like:

- Very case-centered.

- Less action (though I personally like Ran's karate fighting scene), and much less "DB moments" comparing to most movies.

- I like how they separated the characters into different groups with different purposes to the plot, having all of them on board would be a bad idea.

- I also like how they placed Agasa's quiz very early in the movie so we can finally enjoy the main story  :P

- Decent overall story progression/development.

- Some scenes are quite emotional and touching.

- The last clue used to locate Ran is quite.... unique  ;)

- Good ending theme.

- Was it only because I watched the low quality version or this movie has an overall darker color theme?

What I dislike:

- I'm still not satisfied with the "mystery" aspect of this movie (not that I have high expectation for movies to begin with, so I'm not too disappointed either). X's identity is too obvious, that guy is just too suspicious for anyone to miss, to the point that I thought he was only a red-herring. Of course, that's not the "real mystery" that we have to solve, but the so called "real mystery" (aka. the "murder") in this movie is just... meh. (In other words it couldn't save the overall mystery, if not made it worse.)

- Still lack tension, though I'm personally satisfied with what they did to this movie. I hope they keep sticking with this direction in future movies but a little more tension wouldn't be bad.

- Story still wasn't dark enough (this is actually understandable since otherwise it would likely raise many unwanted political problems).

- Too many technical and military terms that just went right through my head.  :P But seriously it's hard not to feel they're advertising too much about the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

- The last 10-15 minutes of the movie was spent finding a way to save Ran... again.

- Kazuha is too OOC and annoying (even if it was only for comic relief), I just can't stand her in this movie.

- Other than the ending theme, I don't really like the musics and soundtracks used in this movie.

Overall opinion: Pretty decent and worth watching. Much better than the recent movies (especially 16 and 14).

I don't know what you are saying, it was a great movie! I never seen Conan cry before, because it was the first time in DC history! It was very romantic, what's wrong with your true love saving you again, I would be thrilled I was Ran, so it was a great movie, and how Heji saved Kazuha from a bullet was very romantic, Kazuha-chan was cute in this movie, but then again, she always is

I don't know what you are saying, it was a great movie! I never seen Conan cry before, because it was the first time in DC history! It was very romantic, what's wrong with your true love saving you again, I would be thrilled I was Ran, so it was a great movie, and how Heji saved Kazuha from a bullet was very romantic, Kazuha-chan was cute in this movie, but then again, she always is

Well, it cannot be only romantically centred... Its oukay once in a while, but yeah Conan is more like a suspense and mystery packed Series, it's better off with occasional romantic comedy...

I've only seen the first part and the last part, but I can already tell it was better than some movies out there...

But.... Conan-kun, is that you crying?

(writes his name in a list titled: Who has Cried?)

:)

I'm making this thread for discussions and opinions regarding movie 17 since there wasn't one already. The other thread in the "News and updates" section is best left for, well, news and updates only.

My opinions about this movie (contain heavy spoilers, so it's best not to read it if you haven't watched the movie):

What I like:

- Very case-centered.

- Less action (though I personally like Ran's karate fighting scene), and much less "DB moments" comparing to most movies.

- I like how they separated the characters into different groups with different purposes to the plot, having all of them on board would be a bad idea.

- I also like how they placed Agasa's quiz very early in the movie so we can finally enjoy the main story  :P

- Decent overall story progression/development.

- Some scenes are quite emotional and touching.

- The last clue used to locate Ran is quite.... unique  ;)

- Good ending theme.

- Was it only because I watched the low quality version or this movie has an overall darker color theme?

What I dislike:

- I'm still not satisfied with the "mystery" aspect of this movie (not that I have high expectation for movies to begin with, so I'm not too disappointed either). X's identity is too obvious, that guy is just too suspicious for anyone to miss, to the point that I thought he was only a red-herring. Of course, that's not the "real mystery" that we have to solve, but the so called "real mystery" (aka. the "murder") in this movie is just... meh. (In other words it couldn't save the overall mystery, if not made it worse.)

- Still lack tension, though I'm personally satisfied with what they did to this movie. I hope they keep sticking with this direction in future movies but a little more tension wouldn't be bad.

- Story still wasn't dark enough (this is actually understandable since otherwise it would likely raise many unwanted political problems).

- Too many technical and military terms that just went right through my head.  :P But seriously it's hard not to feel they're advertising too much about the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force.

- The last 10-15 minutes of the movie was spent finding a way to save Ran... again.

- Kazuha is too OOC and annoying (even if it was only for comic relief), I just can't stand her in this movie.

- Other than the ending theme, I don't really like the musics and soundtracks used in this movie.

Overall opinion: Pretty decent and worth watching. Much better than the recent movies (especially 16 and 14).

I love your opinion. Especially the "lack of tensions" and "story wasn't dark enough". Yes, I enjoy the movie a lot even the tension is not intense enough.

For me, it's one of the best Conan Movies ever. :)

I quite liked it, and there was one soundtrack that interested me: the one that played a few minutes before the one-hour mark when Sekiguchi revealed that data about Aegis had been leaked.  And I think I heard a remix of Ran no Ketsui at the climax, which was nice.

Just like everything in this thread, my post includes spoilers. I'd advice you to leave this thread a mystery until after you watched the actual movie, for your sake.

I was damn lost in the movie when I watched it. It was more realistic than the others except from Conan's kick (dayum, the cannon thingy span!). Plus, I got to see Heiji in action and shot again!

The thing I disliked is that clue with the Japanese-like flag, I had no idea that thing existed, I'm empty on marine and sailing stuff knowledge.

Kazuha's (new?) voice actor finally adjusted the voice, it hurt my ears lately, but to take the place of that, they had to make her cry... damn...

One of my favorite and most action movies, considering how hopeless movie 16 was (in my opinion) this is a comeback. 9/10

Hi.. All..

Nice to see you again (long time didnt open this page anymore, *miss it)

Oke.

Finally, I could watch Detective Conan Movie 17. I admit, It was awesome. I need 3 days to download that movie.

So, I could see crying face of Conan.

Summary, I feel satisfied.

So how about you?

Was predictable to me, lacked tension and I was a bit shocked Conan didn't know more about the ship and ranks. He usually knows mass amounts of info correct? Btw that soccer kick made me dislike him using his kicks now, some of those kicks should leave those guys knocked out, or even leave a concussion.

Was predictable to me, lacked tension and I was a bit shocked Conan didn't know more about the ship and ranks. He usually knows mass amounts of info correct? Btw that soccer kick made me dislike him using his kicks now, some of those kicks should leave those guys knocked out, or even leave a concussion.

Seriously, it's better that he didn't know. Gosho Aoyama might just rename him to "The Walking Encyclopedia" one day.

• Upvote 1

Didn't care for this one at all. It's better than 6, but I honestly enjoyed it less than 11. The pacing was just awkward and the mystery non-existant. None of the characters had any real impact. I felt like no one's reactions made sense; they let the spy run around freely with civilians. By the end. I started skipping through the 20 minutes of Ran drowning because I was sick of bubble and wave clip shows.

Best part was Ran's fight with the spy from "that country".

Probably never going to watch this one again, unless there is a reference in canon I have to check.

Didn't care for this one at all. It's better than 6, but I honestly enjoyed it less than 11. The pacing was just awkward and the mystery non-existant. None of the characters had any real impact. I felt like no one's reactions made sense; they let the spy run around freely with civilians. By the end. I started skipping through the 20 minutes of Ran drowning because I was sick of bubble and wave clip shows.

Best part was Ran's fight with the spy from "that country".

Probably never going to watch this one again, unless there is a reference in canon I have to check.

I had to reread this, you thought it was better then 6??? O.o 6 was more entertaining then 17 lol, and yeah no character revealed any new information about themselves except for how Kogoro uses cards and how Heiji names Ai

I had to reread this, you thought it was better then 6??? O.o 6 was more entertaining then 17 lol, and yeah no character revealed any new information about themselves except for how Kogoro uses cards and how Heiji names Ai

Six is my least favorite movie. Back in the beginning when I first was getting into Detective Conan, I watched 6 because everyone said it was great. I thought it was awful; if Detective Conan was going to have mysteries like those shown in the movie, then forget the series, it was a waste of time. I dropped DC for a few months after than until the manga interested me again. Movie 6 almost stopped Chekhov from existing.

I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago with my phone... It was okay I guess. Better than 16 where the bombs were overused or the one with pirates(9 or 11) but not as good as some other ones. Didn't really move me to one way or another.

After watching it in hd (thank you M-L), i have to say that i enjoyed it. Its all BD said it is with i a few things i disagree on. But my GOD can we change the tradition of the movie endings ( ran in danger...again). Also Boats Boats Boats 

MY SCORE 4/5

Movie was meh. It really wasnt that good if you can even say that. There really wasnt that much going on for it and the case was something that seemed more suitable for one of the episodes. And the fact the last half of the movie was basically Ran in danger,well,seemed like it was a last minute thing they threw in. Hopefully Movie 18 will be better.

This movie is not one of my favorites, but it wasn't that bad either.

I liked the karate action (so shocked when Ran actually fell overboard O_O) and Conan's use of his soccer ball (always) :)