Detective Conan World
Black Demon

Movie 18: Dimensional Sniper

According to the latest Shounen Sunday issue, the 18th movie will be called 異次元の狙撃手 - Ijigen no Sunaipā (Dimensional Sniper). It will feature Shuichi Akai and Masumi Sera, as shown in the poster below.

6mcu.jpg

(Image: 米花学园)

Some information from http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/actus/2013/11/29/18eme-film-pour-Detective-Conan:

Detective Conan 18th movie: Ijigen no Sniper.

"Shuichi Akai is targeted by a sniper and Masumi Sera is shot. Tokyo is in panic, citizens are taken in the shooting of a sniper. Nothing is known about him. Why was Sera targeted ? Will Akai survive from this ? Jodie Starling and Subaru Okiya are also in this one. Will Conan be able to find and apprehend the culprit ?"

More information will be updated in this thread when available.

• Upvote 2

I guess we're inclined to believe that the BO would somewhat be involved, weird that they're using plot-relevant characters though. Hm. I never cared for Movie 13 that much despite it being a 'BO-centered'. Thanks for the info, TBD. ^^

Well, he may very well appear only in a flashback. Or worse, a dream :P

OH GOD

to me its like... if you are going to put him in then put him like he is there.

You are most likely right, because sera will appear in it and real life akai will not be featured 

Moreover if Okiya is there that means Akai is still in deguise so there is a huge possibility he will appear in a flashback or something like that.

I find it weird that the movie features Sera and Akai while the revelation about Shuichi's death didn't happen in the manga yet.The timing isn't right for me.

Anyway thanks for the info BD^^

And yes the poster is just awesome^^ I really missed Shuichi so I'm glad there is finally a movie centered around him^^

I'm surprised by the announcement, but no doubt excited.  I'm just not too sure why they didn't announce an official English title.

And thank you Black Demon for taking over CarpetCrawler's job as the movie announcer!

Crosspost from movies thread

If it's a movie about Shuuichi, my guess it's going to be a revenge plot related to Shuuichi's past in the FBI - like a case he solved and someone he arrested. I don't think there is going to be any major BO involvement (That would have been hyped for sure). Someone probably wanted to get revenge on Shuu for something he did for the FBI, but can't find him, so attacks Masumi to lure him out. Hearing the news about his sister ruins Okiya's stew-making plans. Jodie kidnaps Conan, rounds up the rest of the FBI, and they start trying to find the suspect and discover his motive. Meanwhile Conan and Okiya work together in the background and do all the real heavy lifting. The finale is Conan being chased by the sniper's bullets, which is stopped by Okiya/Akai sniping the guy from X00 yards away. Amuro was in Hawaii this entire time working on his tan and misses all the action. The end.

Maybe it's the lighting, but it looks like Akai is crying in that poster.

• Upvote 1

NOOOOOOOOO why did I open this page o(≧o≦)o??!!!!!! I haven't seen the 17th movie yet .·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.. I want Akai NOW (இ﹏இ`。). He's my favorite character 。・゚゚・(>д<)・゚゚・。

Are they going to treat Akai as separate entity than Okiya? or the same. Because both will appear. Gosho haven't confirm their identity yet. But Moviemaker cannot conflict with it either. I guess Akai that appear will not be real Akai aka "Okiya  that going back to himself". As TBD point out, dream, flashback. But actually, My favorite should be Okiya disguise as Akai with Yukiko help. And say he is not Akai. Troll indeed.

What I fear is the inevitably that people will use Movie 18 "facts" to base their theories on. I had enough with Kaitou know Conan identity.

I think the movie will be based on how much they reveal about Akai or Okiya in the manga prior to the April date. Also I heard the writer is the one who did Movies 2 - 5, which were good movies in my opinion.

Are they going to treat Akai as separate entity than Okiya? or the same. Because both will appear. Gosho haven't confirm their identity yet. But Moviemaker cannot conflict with it either. I guess Akai that appear will not be real Akai aka "Okiya  that going back to himself". As TBD point out, dream, flashback. But actually, My favorite should be Okiya disguise as Akai with Yukiko help. And say he is not Akai. Troll indeed.

What I fear is the inevitably that people will use Movie 18 "facts" to base their theories on. I had enough with Kaitou know Conan identity.

Only one source has said anything about Jodie and Okiya appearing, and it hasn't been backed up beyond that as far as I know. Even if the source is right, that doesn't imply Okiya and Akai are separate characters.

Like all the movies, this one will stick to the pattern of not significantly interfering with the manga plot. Also keep in mind that the movie timeline can't exceed the lagging the anime timeline. When the movie comes out in April, the anime is only going to be as far along as 851 (Pickpocket and Jodie at the shrine) to 861 (Bowling alley murder case) or so. Any developments published now that would be new in the manga, like Okiya is not Akai, wouldn't be animated in time for the movie which appears in April. That means the movie is going to be working off the information known from the train canon-wise and a little afterwards with Amuro returning to the Poirot.

If Akai does appear in the movie, it's most likely either going to be Bourbon in disguise again and/or a sudden appearance like how Akai popped up as himself on the train. Both of those options don't joss any anime or manga plot. In addition, Akai can only appear in front of people who have seen him already like Conan (and Yukiko), with brief glimpses allowed for Jodie, Camel, and Masumi (who saw Scar Akai), and maybe Ran who doesn't know he is supposed to be dead. Having Haibara see Akai will be off limits for sure. It would affect the manga canon if it was revealed that Okiya definitely wasn't Akai, so that clearly is not going to happen.

It is technically possible Okiya/Akai could do something onscreen to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt they are the same person, because there are ways to deal with a non-canon reveal in the manga. The train episodes already strongly imply Okiya is Akai with the clothes and eye and all, so it is not a complete shocker. In the manga, Gosho could have Okiya reveal himself to be Akai in front of Haibara or Masumi or Jodie, which would be dramatic by itself, even if people had already watched the movie. The non-movie watchers would then be caught up and the plot would work out. You can kind of compare the situation to how Ran's confession to Shinichi in movie 8 didn't interfere with later plot in London.

Well with the whole canon, non canon situation, the movies is not suppose to effect the canon part correct?

Ever since Kid meet Conan, he always referred him as Tantei-kun or Meitantei. Never as Conan unless he was disguised. Also Kid never pondered about Conan's identity, so by him "knowing" in Movie 3, it didn't effect the canon plot no?

Similarly with Ran admitting she "liked" or "loved" Shinichi in the movie(Depending on the sub you were watching), in my opinion it knew it wasn't going to effect the plot because technically she admitted she liked Shinichi since the second episode. Conan is known to blush whenever she speaks about liking Shinichi even though he already knows how she feels about him.

But movies are inconsistent with its canon counterpart, like in Movie 3 where Sonoko didn't know Heiji nor Kazuha but knew them in the manga, or when in Movie 10 where Conan and Heiji runs into Saguru and Heiji didn't know who he was, but the manga and anime was way past the 3 days with Heiji. Also they are very loose with keeping their identities secret in my opinion. 

Now back to the movie,

This movie is pretty interesting to me, because with non canon movies, most of the characters included are characters that won't effect the plot in the future no? So in that case the movie will probably reveal either the past of some characters or the thoughts of some characters that won't be brought up in the manga or anime, but probably will be referenced. 

Wow! Sera's gonna be in it? I'll be waiting. ^^ *smirks*

I really love the art of these movie posters. My fav one gotta be the ravem chaser skull Gin poster :P

I gotta admit, that poster made me watch that movie >:)

Official 30'' trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrozPl9qFc

The official website is now available with more information: http://www.conan-movie.jp/index.html

Here's a detailed translation of the plot summary found on this site (same as the one on the leaflet, which is now confirmed to be official). Translation by bluesun from DCTP (original post).

WARNING: Heavy spoiler!

2014 is the 20th Anniversary of the "Detective Conan" original work's serialisation!!

The extremely important characters from the original work appear in a movie for the first time! Finally, the unrevealed Pandora Mystery is to be--!!

An impossible sniping! And a mysterious squadron that comes to light--

The aim of a gun that fearlessly attacks its targets unveils an extremely dangerous truth!

Story
Having participated in its opening ceremony, Conan and co. are enjoying the view from the observation deck of the 635-metre tall Bell Tree Tower when a bullet pierces through a window and into a man's chest! Ran and the Detective Boys begin to panic, not knowing what happened in such a short instant, but Conan immediately uses the zoom on his culprit tracking glasses to spot a black shadow at the other end of the bullet's path. "But sniping from so far away is impossible, it can't be--!" Conan and the female high-school student Masumi Sera pursue the fleeing sniper by bike, but they end up involved in a chase with the sniper who attempts to blow up entire police patrol cars. In the end, even the FBI become involved in the intense chase, but the culprit and the mysteries of the sniping end up vanishing into the ocean. While Conan, Sera, and the police and FBI investigate, the existence of a special navy squadron, the "Navy Seals", comes to light. The sniping was just the beginning of a huge panic waiting to occur! And at the same time, in the shadows, the mysterious post-graduate university student Subaru Okiya begins to make his move...

This time, there's a quiz on snipers from Haibara! Which of these sports would a sniper be best at?
1. Baseball 2. Football 3. Golf. Find out the answer by watching the movie!

• Upvote 2

The trailer has gotten me way too excited for this movie.

I wonder what they mean by "vanishing into the ocean".  It could just refer to the culprit's possible Navy Seal background, but I have my doubts.  And the "huge panic" foreshadowed...  terrorist plot?  I mean, to blow up police cars with what is probably an IED just reeks of terrorism.  Hopefully it isn't all just for a handful of Buddha statues.