Detective Conan World
Black Demon

Movie 18: Dimensional Sniper

People wondering where the movie is, it is not even out on DVD in Japan yet.  In order for the internet to get the RAW version, it needs to be on DVD first.  Based on previous years, I am guessing it will be on DVD in mid to late November.  Therefore, don't expect to see it subbed yet until the end of the year.  Maybe even beginning of 2015.

Pretty sure we're not allowed to link to streaming sites.  Not to mention that link leads to poor quality camrips.  But of course, it is Youku after all...

There were some pretty bad quality ones uploaded to YouTube, but I'd rather wait--it's all about the experience of the movie, haha

There's one that's poorly recorded on youtube and it's a bit shaky and hard to hear. And it also doesn't have subs. D:

I'll have to catch up with Detective Conan first before watching Dimensional sniper though, cause I'm a bit behind in the series.

I'll probably need to watch this movie again one more time to make sure that I've understood everything, but my impression after watching it for the first time isn't very good.

Warning: major spoilers

The plot isn't that interesting but at least the mystery is not as dull as Movie 17's. Sera's appearance is merely for fan-service and doesn't really have any impact on the overall story, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Some characters' actions doesn't make much sense, if not outright stupid. (No Ran, you don't charge right towards a FREAKING sniper standing far away from you, whose eyes might be blinded but his hands can still perfectly fire that FREAKING rifle! No DB, after successfully rescued Ayumi you don't just stand there and watch the sniper, who's now completely insane and begins shooting randomly at all directions!)

And once again they've gone overboard with the unrealistic gadget-abusing action scenes of Conan, this time to an extreme degree. If you think the ones in M13 were ridiculous, you should watch this movie.

There have been so many things to look forward to these past few days that aren't movie 18, I've completely forgotten to get hyped for this movie.  I'm trying to watch the trailer again, but it's not working for me.  This might be a good opportunity; if I keep my expectations in check I'll be pleasantly surprised. 

I'm honestly just waiting for the day we get a DC movie that's actually cinematic with actually impressive art and direction.  This movie, from the clips I've seen, looks more like an OVA than something I'd watch on the big screen.  But of course, considering it's a movie for a series with a well established fan base, I doubt we'll ever get anything truly groundbreaking.   

I'll probably need to watch this movie again one more time to make sure that I've understood everything, but my impression after watching it for the first time isn't very good.

Warning: major spoilers

The plot isn't that interesting but at least the mystery is not as dull as Movie 17's. Sera's appearance is merely for fan-service and doesn't really have any impact on the overall story, which doesn't surprise me one bit. Some characters' actions doesn't make much sense, if not outright stupid. (No Ran, you don't charge right towards a FREAKING sniper standing far away from you, whose eyes might be blinded but his hands can still perfectly fire that FREAKING rifle! No DB, after successfully rescued Ayumi you don't just stand there and watch the sniper, who's now completely insane and begins shooting randomly at all directions!)

And once again they've gone overboard with the unrealistic gadget-abusing action scenes of Conan, this time to an extreme degree. If you think the ones in M13 were ridiculous, you should watch this movie.

I didn't think it was that bad...

The art in this movie was, by today's standards, really really poor.  It's understandable considering the team had to juggle this and the Lupin III crossover movie, but it was at the level of other anime's episode quality, if not even lower, for even the parts that weren't action packed.  It was so bad, Gosho's art stood out even more than it usually does.  The soundtrack didn't really speak to me at all, and I'm starting to get a bit annoyed that they haven't yet changed the animations for the opening intro sequence after all these years.  Apart from Gin's hair color change, the scenes from when Shinichi poses for the newspaper to when Conans walks to the detective agency with Ran have been exactly the same since movie 7!  That was 11 years ago!  It's almost unacceptable they haven't reanimated those scenes yet.  I'm only cutting them some slack this time around because they had to do two movies.

Now, time for my opinion on the main meat of the movie (major spoilers):

I definitely enjoyed this movie more than the past few.  It's about on the same level as the Raven Chaser, but only because both of them were just pure hype and ended up being silly fun instead of serious fun (serious fun being movies 4-6).  The mystery was simple, but whatever, it's a movie and not a true canon arc so I'll forgive it.  The body count in this movie though was absolutely massive.  Honestly, the criminal managed to outdo Conan and the police and the FBI up until the very very last second, and only because a bunch of  plot devices conveniently fell into place.  (The "upgraded" badges and belt, the criminal's old night vision goggles, Ran knowing karate, just to name a few.  Like seriously what are the chances?!  I almost feel bad for the criminal.  Fate was trolling him or something.)  The criminal killed so many people.  I think he sniped out four guys, nearly killed Sera and Conan, blew up a ton of police cars, and caused a ton of car/truck crashes.  It was brutal, even for a Conan movie (and when you size that up to movie 14's body count...).

I almost convinced myself they wouldn't put Ran in danger this time around, but luckily right before she ended up in danger I remembered a scene from the trailer and kept my expectations in check.  Well, she did manage to get herself out of trouble this time around, though the fight wasn't as dynamic as movie 17's.  Never really liked Ran much but she didn't really say anything of importance this movie, so I'm not complaining.  Happy that Haibara got more screen time than in movie 17, that's for sure.

And as Black Demon mentioned, the tricks with Conan's gadgets were insane with a capital "i", "n", "s", "a", "n", and "e".  And not in the a good way. I was already shaking my head before the intro song rolled around and dice started falling from the sky.  Maybe they would have been more acceptable with better art, because golly was the art bad.  I know I already mentioned it, but seriously this is worse than even movie 1.  At least movie 1 had consistent faces.  This movie was OVA tier quality, which really shows in the fast scenes.  They should have just left crazy scenes like those up to Hollywood anyway.  Maybe I'm not being fair, because I had just seen some of the best animated anime episodes (ehem, Fate/stay night and Bahamut Genesis) a few days ago, but I'm sure anyone would be able to notice the step down in quality.

All in all though, it was still a fun ride, and much better than most of what we've had the past few years.  Just don't expect this movie to rival those of the golden years of DC movies, which in my opinion were all the movies directed by Kenji Kodama sans movie 7.