Detective Conan World
Kidvicious 707

Conan or Shinichi? Who do you prefer more?

70 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you like better?

2iw68oz.jpg

Naturally, they are the same person, but it's rather difficult to associate Conan as Shinichi sometimes because the two feel individually different. It may be just me, but I find Shinichi more captivating to watch than his younger counterpart. I know a lot of people can probably explain better than I can, but there's definitively something magnetic about Shinichi's screen presence that makes the scene feel more engaging and important. That was probably poorly written and there's probably a inconstancy error in this concept somewhere, but I'll ask anyway. Whose your favorite & Why?

<3

• Upvote 1

While I love most episodes when Shinichi appears, I have to say, Conan is much more entertaining to watch than Shinichi, the way he has to think outside of the box to be able to conduct his investigations (though I do admit that the same methods over and over are a bit tiresome and unrealistic, not to mention the fact that so many of Conan's gadgets should have been discovered by now). That is something rather disappointing in DC, the fact that Conan never gets completely discovered and has to change everything.

Anyways, other things I like about Conan is the way he interacts with people older and younger than him and how it contrasts to "his other self." I also like the fact that Conan's cut down on arrogance since he's shrunk.

• Upvote 1

Conan, mostly because Shinichi is an arrogant and obnoxious jerk.

I think Shinichi is cool, but i do like the fact that being conan has humbled him. Overall I like Shinichi more and his interaction with Ran, Heiji, and his classmates. I also find the cases more entertaining.

• Upvote 1

I think Shinichi is cool, but i do like the fact that being conan has humbled him. Overall I like Shinichi more and his interaction with Ran, Heiji, and his classmates. I also find the cases more entertaining.

You would think that, and you would be wrong. The last two returns showed that he really hasn't changed.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Personally i like them both ,but if it comes at solving cases conan seems to have a upper hand.Because of his high-tech gadgets he is able to knock out many criminals ,even the ones who have guns easily ,while Shinichi wouldn't have been able to do something like that only with his soccer kick .

But still both of them are just great .

Personally i like them both ,but if it comes at solving cases conan seems to have a upper hand.Because of his high-tech gadgets he is able to knock out many criminals ,even the ones who have guns easily ,while Shinichi wouldn't have been able to do something like that only with his soccer kick .

But still both of them are just great .

But aren't Conan's gadgets only used to compensate for his previous abilities as Shinichi.

Ex: He's not as strong and nimble as his predecessor, so he uses gadget's to replicate said ability. Shinichi probably could defend himself when things get violent, but like I said, I think Dr. Agasa invents all these gadgets for Conan in order to make up the areas where he used to be proficient in.

Shinichi's arrogance is tone down as a child because as Conan, he has to restrict a lot of his normal behavior from his 17 Year old self to avoid suspicion and inconsistency with his age.

(I guess it would be awkward for Conan to retain his personality and mannerisms, especially around Ran)

He isn't. Being in a child's body forces him to put his HUGE ego away.

Around adults maybe... When he is with the DBoys and Haibara he is as arrogant as he is with Shinichi. Though with Haibara she has a knack for knocking his ego down a bit... He is just not obnoxiously egotistical as Conan...

Around adults maybe... When he is with the DBoys and Haibara he is as arrogant as he is with Shinichi. Though with Haibara she has a knack for knocking his ego down a bit... He is just not obnoxiously egotistical as Conan...

But you have to admit that his ego has slowly dwindled throughout the series. And he has a right to be arrogant around the Detective Boys (they can be annoying as hell!) However, he has dramatically improved his humility. Think back to the first ep when Shinichi was full of himself thinking he could do no wrong. Although he still could do no wrong (for the most part), I don't recall him ever gloating about himself and his extraordinary deduction abilities. He solves cases for the sake of others, not for his own selfish needs. Shinichi/Conan's sarcastic and condescending attitude towards the DB doesn't ring egotistical to me. If anything, it's Genta-kun who always thinks he's boss of the DB, even though he has little contribution to anything important.

• Upvote 3

But you have to admit that his ego has slowly dwindled throughout the series. And he has a right to be arrogant around the Detective Boys (they can be annoying as hell!) However, he has dramatically improved his humility. Think back to the first ep when Shinichi was full of himself thinking he could do no wrong. Although he still could do no wrong (for the most part), I don't recall him ever gloating about himself and his extraordinary deduction abilities. He solves cases for the sake of others, not for his own selfish needs. Shinichi/Conan's sarcastic and condescending attitude towards the DB doesn't ring egotistical to me. If anything, it's Genta-kun who always thinks he's boss of the DB, even though he has little contribution to anything important.

i agree completely. He is maturing and going through character development

No... he is still the same more or less... Sure he has toned it down, but that is out of NECESSITY out of fear that people will die by the hands of the BO rather than personal change. You see this in the Desperate Revival arc where he forgets himself and showboats. He definitely does not have humility either. The only times he is at all shown having humility lately, in fact the only time, was in that case in that restaurant, because he didn't have the Osakan knowledge to solve the case on his own. And even then he tooted his own horn at the end because the ignorant Kogorou doesn't realize that Conan=Shinichi, and said that Shinichi wins because he was getting info second hand. Shinichi HAS NOT CHANGED! If he had a SHRED of humility, he would have told the FBI EVERYTHING. They cannot legally deport him and place him into protective custody, so unlike his father's plan it would not have impeded him in any way with Ran. And it would give them some information on the org, because then they would have SHERRY as well telling them information as well. Shinichi thinks he can take down the BO ON HIS OWN IN THE BODY OF A SEVEN YEAR OLD! How is that not egotistical and blatantly brash?

No... he is still the same more or less... Sure he has toned it down, but that is out of NECESSITY out of fear that people will die by the hands of the BO rather than personal change. You see this in the Desperate Revival arc where he forgets himself and showboats. He definitely does not have humility either. The only times he is at all shown having humility lately, in fact the only time, was in that case in that restaurant, because he didn't have the Osakan knowledge to solve the case on his own. And even then he tooted his own horn at the end because the ignorant Kogorou doesn't realize that Conan=Shinichi, and said that Shinichi wins because he was getting info second hand. Shinichi HAS NOT CHANGED! If he had a SHRED of humility, he would have told the FBI EVERYTHING. They cannot legally deport him and place him into protective custody, so unlike his father's plan it would not have impeded him in any way with Ran. And it would give them some information on the org, because then they would have SHERRY as well telling them information as well. Shinichi thinks he can take down the BO ON HIS OWN IN THE BODY OF A SEVEN YEAR OLD! How is that not egotistical and blatantly brash?

But the Desperate Revival was AGES ago (probably months in the DC world). He had plenty to learn before as he has plenty to learn now. I'm just utterly confused as to how you can say he has not changed at all? First of all, Conan "tooting his own horn" after that restaurant case barely substantiates the ego that you propose Conan has. It was basically ironic humor that Conan acted as Shinichi on the phone, thus supposedly granting Shinichi an advantage (even though Shinichi was indeed involved in the investigation). It was pretty much an act of competitiveness between he and Heiji, friendly competition for that matter. Second, the whole "not telling the FBI" thing can sound vane on Shinichi's part, but perhaps he believes it was unnecessary at the time. His main priority is to subjugate the BO, while his motivation in doing so is to return to his original body. Maybe it IS pride that prohibits him from informing the FBI, but it's also probable that Shinichi just isn't ready to the spill the beans yet, since any hasty actions may have detrimental consequences. As for humility, there ARE indeed instances when Shinichi was humble. He admits his wrongdoings on several occasions (like how he blames himself everytime he sees Ran crying), he sometimes accredits the Detective Boys (like when they managed to find the cave exit during the Desperate Revival), he saves LOADS of people (whether it is Ran, Mouri, Haibara, the DB, secondary characters, etc.), he ABSOLUTELY DOES care about those closest to him (if he didn't have a shred of humility, why would he go out of his way to help them when they need him most?), and the list goes on and on... And lastly, yes, "Shinichi thinks he can take down the BO ON HIS OWN IN THE BODY OF A SEVEN YEAR OLD", but who says he is capable of doing it alone? Hell yeah he will need some assistance from others: the FBI, maybe Haibara, maybe Heiji, maybe Agasa. I see his confidence in defeating the BO as pure determination, not arrogance. So rather than being blinded by what Shinichi didn't do, why not consider the admirable things he DID do? In my eyes, he has developed humility. Not seeing any of Shinichi's character development AT ALL is pretty ignorant.

But the Desperate Revival was AGES ago (probably months in the DC world). He had plenty to learn before as he has plenty to learn now. I'm just utterly confused as to how you can say he has not changed at all? First of all, Conan "tooting his own horn" after that restaurant case barely substantiates the ego that you propose Conan has. It was basically ironic humor that Conan acted as Shinichi on the phone, thus supposedly granting Shinichi an advantage (even though Shinichi was indeed involved in the investigation). It was pretty much an act of competitiveness between he and Heiji, friendly competition for that matter. Second, the whole "not telling the FBI" thing can sound vane on Shinichi's part, but perhaps he believes it was unnecessary at the time. His main priority is to subjugate the BO, while his motivation in doing so is to return to his original body. Maybe it IS pride that prohibits him from informing the FBI, but it's also probable that Shinichi just isn't ready to the spill the beans yet, since any hasty actions may have detrimental consequences. As for humility, there ARE indeed instances when Shinichi was humble. He admits his wrongdoings on several occasions (like how he blames himself everytime he sees Ran crying), he sometimes accredits the Detective Boys (like when they managed to find the cave exit during the Desperate Revival), he saves LOADS of people (whether it is Ran, Mouri, Haibara, the DB, secondary characters, etc.), he ABSOLUTELY DOES care about those closest to him (if he didn't have a shred of humility, why would he go out of his way to help them when they need him most?), and the list goes on and on... And lastly, yes, "Shinichi thinks he can take down the BO ON HIS OWN IN THE BODY OF A SEVEN YEAR OLD", but who says he is capable of doing it alone? Hell yeah he will need some assistance from others: the FBI, maybe Haibara, maybe Heiji, maybe Agasa. I see his confidence in defeating the BO as pure determination, not arrogance. So rather than being blinded by what Shinichi didn't do, why not consider the admirable things he DID do? In my eyes, he has developed humility. Not seeing any of Shinichi's character development AT ALL is pretty ignorant.

I've done analysis on Shinichi's character and lack of development too much to put it again here. Sufficed to say, he hasn't developed much. Desperate Revival wasn't too long ago either. You have to remember the plot cases and the filler cases are disjointed. That is why a year hasn't passed yet...

But I'll sum it up, and it isn't that hard to do, but I won't go into detail. For a while, up to the Desperate Revival it looked like he was developing. However on the next return, it didn't look like he developed at all. The only pieces of humility were fleeting statements. That isn't true humility, and if you think that it is, then I have nothing to say. And vanity is a source of egotism. And that is proof that he is egotistical. You are right, he cannot do it, his parents PROVED this to him, and yet he STILL thinks he can do it on his own. That is CLEARLY egotism, especially after meeting people who can help him, he doesn't tell them a damn thing. And naturally he would take blame for Ran's tears, it IS his fault, that is not humility or lack or egotism, taking responsibility. Humility is the ABSENCE of pride. So the very fact that he has the sort of pride that he thinks that he can take down a multinational organization is pretty evident. He NEVER says that he isn't the greatest detective, but he never denies it either when someone claims that he is. A humble person would claim that there are those better.

But aren't Conan's gadgets only used to compensate for his previous abilities as Shinichi.

Ex: He's not as strong and nimble as his predecessor, so he uses gadget's to replicate said ability. Shinichi probably could defend himself when things get violent, but like I said, I think Dr. Agasa invents all these gadgets for Conan in order to make up the areas where he used to be proficient in.

Shinichi could defend himself upto a certain point .But shinichi never had a anesthesia watch ,he just used to kick some objects to capture the criminals .Plus the bowtie ,which helps conan to trick people .I think shinichi would lose out in that way .

I've done analysis on Shinichi's character and lack of development too much to put it again here. Sufficed to say, he hasn't developed much. Desperate Revival wasn't too long ago either. You have to remember the plot cases and the filler cases are disjointed. That is why a year hasn't passed yet...

But I'll sum it up, and it isn't that hard to do, but I won't go into detail. For a while, up to the Desperate Revival it looked like he was developing. However on the next return, it didn't look like he developed at all. The only pieces of humility were fleeting statements. That isn't true humility, and if you think that it is, then I have nothing to say. And vanity is a source of egotism. And that is proof that he is egotistical. You are right, he cannot do it, his parents PROVED this to him, and yet he STILL thinks he can do it on his own. That is CLEARLY egotism, especially after meeting people who can help him, he doesn't tell them a damn thing. And naturally he would take blame for Ran's tears, it IS his fault, that is not humility or lack or egotism, taking responsibility. Humility is the ABSENCE of pride. So the very fact that he has the sort of pride that he thinks that he can take down a multinational organization is pretty evident. He NEVER says that he isn't the greatest detective, but he never denies it either when someone claims that he is. A humble person would claim that there are those better.

I'm well aware that Shinichi hasn't drastically changed; but an improvement is still an improvement. OF COURSE he preserves some of his ego, HE'S LIKE A GOD WHO COULD DO NO WRONG. And yes, that was a hyperbole; he's not perfect, and I'm sure he's aware of that. But with all the things he CAN do, Shinichi retains a "chilled" attitude. He doesn't go around professing all of his accomplishments to other people (unlike Mouri who continues bragging about deductions he never did). As for defeating the BO, scratch out "thinks he can do it ON HIS OWN" because I'm 100% POSITIVE Shinichi acknowledges that he CAN'T do it alone. Why would he team up with Jodie, Akai (who's Okiya for now), James Black, and Hidemi if he thinks he can do it alone? He undoubtedly needs help from PROFESSIONALS who can assist Shinichi (or the other around). Please tell me in quotes of a time Shinichi proclaimed exactly what you said because I don't recall anything. If that were the case, Shinichi would've never needed assistance from Agasa (when he stole the CD program and needed Agasa to analyze it), from the FBI (during the whole Clash of Red and Black arc), and sometimes from Haibara (if Shinichi needed some BO info). Like I said before, Shinichi saying he will defeat the BO (whilst never stating he could do it alone) is an example of determination, not arrogance. Additionally, when he opposes getting loved ones involved, it's not because he thinks he could do it alone; it's because he would be distraught if their death was a consequence of his problems. As for taking responsibility, you're kidding right? Taking responsibility is INDEED parallel with humility. A man who doesn't take responsibility and puts forth the blame on someone else shows that he believes that he is NEVER wrong (everyone else is wrong, never him); THAT shows lack of humility and shows that his head is gorged ego. And yes, I acknowledge that Shinichi isn't the most humble person, but hell, that would mean NO ONE on this earth is humble. That's besides the point because Shinichi has definitely (key word) IMPROVED his humility, even if it wasn't a drastic improvement.

I love Shinichi because he's an arrogant and obnoxious jerk. :3 And he can do that because he is superior to most of the people in the series. (it's like Kaito. Arrogant characters showing off is just great. Unless they're just plain old inept.)

I'm well aware that Shinichi hasn't drastically changed; but an improvement is still an improvement. OF COURSE he preserves some of his ego, HE'S LIKE A GOD WHO COULD DO NO WRONG. And yes, that was a hyperbole; he's not perfect, and I'm sure he's aware of that. But with all the things he CAN do, Shinichi retains a "chilled" attitude. He doesn't go around professing all of his accomplishments to other people (unlike Mouri who continues bragging about deductions he never did). As for defeating the BO, scratch out "thinks he can do it ON HIS OWN" because I'm 100% POSITIVE Shinichi acknowledges that he CAN'T do it alone. Why would he team up with Jodie, Akai (who's Okiya for now), James Black, and Hidemi if he thinks he can do it alone? He undoubtedly needs help from PROFESSIONALS who can assist Shinichi (or the other around). Please tell me in quotes of a time Shinichi proclaimed exactly what you said because I don't recall anything. If that were the case, Shinichi would've never needed assistance from Agasa (when he stole the CD program and needed Agasa to analyze it), from the FBI (during the whole Clash of Red and Black arc), and sometimes from Haibara (if Shinichi needed some BO info). Like I said before, Shinichi saying he will defeat the BO (whilst never stating he could do it alone) is an example of determination, not arrogance. Additionally, when he opposes getting loved ones involved, it's not because he thinks he could do it alone; it's because he would be distraught if their death was a consequence of his problems. As for taking responsibility, you're kidding right? Taking responsibility is INDEED parallel with humility. A man who doesn't take responsibility and puts forth the blame on someone else shows that he believes that he is NEVER wrong (everyone else is wrong, never him); THAT shows lack of humility and shows that his head is gorged ego. And yes, I acknowledge that Shinichi isn't the most humble person, but hell, that would mean NO ONE on this earth is humble. That's besides the point because Shinichi has definitely (key word) IMPROVED his humility, even if it wasn't a drastic improvement.

This is my final reply.... There is a difference between allowing people to help you and using people to meet your own ends. The only person that is actually helping him is Agasa. In other words, Agasa is the only person that knows the FULL story, and aids in his efforts and takes part in everything. Haibara and the FBI are being USED by Shinichi (though he has a valid reason as to why he is merely using Haibara and not telling her everything). Basically you cannot expect someone to help you if they don't know everything you know. And considering that Shinichi has access to Haibara and has NOT told the FBI about that means he has no intention of letting the FBI actually help him, because she would be a HUGE asset in bringing down the org to the FBI. And Agasa doesn't actually help in the field, he merely acts as Shinichi's Watson/Q. As for the "chilled" attitude, again, that is more out of fear than not wanting to. If he starts spouting his accomplishments the BO will notice, and then they'll figure it out and everyone is dead. Taking responsibility is a part of humility, yes, but it isn't all of it, and just because Shinichi feels responsible and feels bad that he is making Ran cry, does not make him humble in the slightest, because it is the choice HE made way back in the beginning. It is hard to place blame on someone else when you made the decision and that caused unforeseen negative consequences. And as I said before, his exorbitant amount of pride gets in the way of being humble.

As for improving it? He has improved it up to a point, and then he shows you why he hasn't. It goes back and forth, and I doubt that he'll show any real improvement until the end of the series. For now he is the same egotistical jerk that he started out as that has just had a stopper put on his overflowing amount of ego in fear of people dying. And god forbid that he actually does have the key role in taking down the BO, because that will set his enormous ego permanently. It won't matter that in the course of the battle he almost died several times, because he would have beaten them.