Detective Conan World
Black Demon

Mary Discussion Thread

About "Mysterious Girl"  

106 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What is her true identity?

• Masumi's full sibling (neither Shuichi nor the second brother)
    • Masumi's half sibling (neither Shuichi nor the second brother)
    • Masumi's step sibling (neither Shuichi nor the second brother)
    • Masumi's adoptive sibling (neither Shuichi nor the second brother)
    • Masumi's mother
    • Masumi's second brother
    • Masumi's cousin
    • Shuichi Akai
    • Other kind of relative not mentioned above
    • The "real" Subaru Okiya (not one of the characters above)
    • A child of Masumi's father's rich friend (not one of the characters above)
    • Just an ordinary friend of Masumi (not one of the characters above)
    • Member from the Black Organization (not one of the characters above)
    • Member from the FBI/CIA/other law enforcement (not one of the characters above)
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. Do you think she is another victim of APTX4869?

• Yes
    • No (She ages normally)
    • No (She doesn't age naturally)
    • She was a victim of/was exposed to something similar in nature (e.g Silver Bullet, whatever affected Vermouth's aging etc.)
    • Other possibilities (please explain)
  3. 3. Her true gender? (Must NOT contradict with your vote on her identity above, this is mostly for options that don't explain her gender like sibling, cousin, friend etc.)

Super Digest Book 70

"Are Yukiko and Sera's mum sisters?"

Answer : The sister isn't Yukiko but...

http://forums.dctp.ws/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12439&p=842050#p842050

That's the one I can think off right now, I think there are is also another interview where he said something about that, but I can't quite recall which.

Yup that's it.

But then if the second sister was Elena then akai was dating his cousin ??(akemi)

Yeah, and it doesn't matter, we had a case were twins were going to marry each other, I believe Akai and Akemi didn't know that, maybe they didn't meet each other when they were young.

Yes and maybe that is why Sera recognized sherry in episode 700

Yeah. Maybe after whatever happened to Mystery girl, they decided to ask Haibara about it, and that is why Sera was interested in her at first, but after seeing her they decided to talk to Conan first to make him understand the situation.

YEAH ! that makes sense

Yeah, I mean Haibara was too scared to Sera so she probably thought she's going to misunderstand their intentions, so they want to talk to Conan first, well, the fact that Elena and Mrs. Akai are sisters makes sense for now, the only other mother that is related to the plot is Eisuke's mother, and not only is there barely any hint that suggests that, but I don't see how it would progress the current plot, while there are multiple hints about Elena being the other sister and it might actually explain the mystery behind the unknown child, maybe we will get something on the silver bullet and the Miyano family's back-story. 

• Upvote 1

It's pretty likely that if the Mysterious Child is the mother, her name is Mary, and she's met Katsumasa Ogura. Ogura is 49-years-old; Shuichi's age range of late twenties to early-mid thirties means that she would likely be from her fifties to even her sixties, now. Ogura mistook Masumi for her twice, so that brings questions about how well he knew her.

It's pretty likely that if the Mysterious Child is the mother, her name is Mary, and she's met Katsumasa Ogura. Ogura is 49-years-old; Shuichi's age range of late twenties to early-mid thirties means that she would likely be from her fifties to even her sixties, now. Ogura mistook Masumi for her twice, so that brings questions about how well he knew her.

Man, you sure beat me to getting here, I was about to say the same exact thing.

I think it be pretty odd that if the MG has met Ogura (which is definitely plausible), that he would mistake Masumi for her twice, and there would be a huge age difference if she was the mother. That said, Masumi and the MG have similar hair-styles and facial features. Masumi's also typically mistaken for a man, and her mother supposedly has big breasts  :P 
On another note, while Mari-chan doesn't really fit the XXrii AC hint, it's pretty close in some way.

Kor brought up Soma Peries (She was originally Marie Parfacy (マリー・パーファシー Marī Pāfashī) as a possible Gundam reference. I know her VA has played some role in Gundam as well, but not sure which, nor do I really know anything about the series.

Definitely not discounting the possibility though.

I think it be pretty odd that if the MG has met Ogura (which is definitely plausible), that he would mistake Masumi for her twice, and there would be a huge age difference if she was the mother. That said, Masumi and the MG have similar hair-styles and facial features. Masumi's also typically mistaken for a man, and her mother supposedly has big breasts  :P 

On another note, while Mari-chan doesn't really fit the XXrii AC hint, it's pretty close in some way.

Kor brought up Soma Peries (She was originally Marie Parfacy (マリー・パーファシー Marī Pāfashī) as a possible Gundam reference. I know her VA has played some role in Gundam as well, but not sure which, nor do I really know anything about the series.

Definitely not discounting the possibility though.

I suppose it would depend on when Ogura met the mysterious girl, and how old she was.

• Upvote 1

Running with the theory that the unknown child is the mother, and that she is British and the sister of Elena Miyano, I bet the rich family friend who has been supporting Masumi Sera's hotel stays is James Black. James was originally from London before he moved to the Unites States. Also Elena, maybe Daddy Akai, and James Black have connections to the British MI6.

• Upvote 1

Running with the theory that the unknown child is the mother, and that she is British and the sister of Elena Miyano, I bet the rich family friend who has been supporting Masumi Sera's hotel stays is James Black. James was originally from London before he moved to the Unites States. Also Elena, maybe Daddy Akai, and James Black have connections to the British MI6.

This sums up what I'm thinking.

I'm not trying to be rude, but I want to bring this up. 

1. It is not confirmed that the Mystery girl's name is Mary. However it is highly likely that it could be because of the hint that her name in katakana should end with "〇〇リー” or "rii" (ri, followed by a long mark) and that there have been hints that she is related to Britain, an englsih speaking country, which could imply an english name. Its just not confirmed officially anywhere.

2. Mari and Mary are two different names. Mari is most likely a japanese name and is spelled "マリ" and Mary is an english language name and is spelled as ”メアリー” in Japanese katakana. The much similar spelling in english letters is coincidence. 

3. Its pretty unlikely that Ogura is mistaking Masumi for Mystery girl.

a:  If by some odd coincidence that he is talking about Mystery girl then he has both the person and the name wrong, as the names Mari and the assumed Mystery Girl name "Mary" are not the same, which would imply that he has a really bad memory. It is possible that they might be close in age, it is even possible that they may have lived in this area a long time ago and even possible that they might have known each other, but basing it on the idea that he calls someone else a name that might be similar to a another name (despite having different pronunciations) that is not even confirmed yet is a bit of a stretch in my book. 

b: He doesn't even seem to care that he got Masumi's name wrong in the first place, and doesn't even apologize and then calls her the same name again. Most likely there is another reason he called Masumi that name and it may be related to something from his life or to another customer that is unrelated.

(separate from above)

4. Its unlikely that Mystery Girl is currently a regular customer at the ramen shop. She seems to be pretty hell-bent on staying out of sight of most people. Plus the implication that Masumi, a regular, always takes food home with her would imply that the Mystery Girl would never need to leave her room in order to get food. 

I'm not trying to be rude, but I want to bring this up. 

1. It is not confirmed that the Mystery girl's name is Mary. However it is highly likely that it could be because of the hint that her name in katakana should end with "〇〇リー” or "rii" (ri, followed by a long mark) and that there have been hints that she is related to Britain, an englsih speaking country, which could imply an english name. Its just not confirmed officially anywhere.

2. Mari and Mary are two different names. Mari is most likely a japanese name and is spelled "マリ" and Mary is an english language name and is spelled as ”メアリー” in Japanese katakana. The much similar spelling in english letters is coincidence. 

3. Its pretty unlikely that Ogura is mistaking Masumi for Mystery girl.

a:  If by some odd coincidence that he is talking about Mystery girl then he has both the person and the name wrong, as the names Mari and the assumed Mystery Girl name "Mary" are not the same, which would imply that he has a really bad memory. It is possible that they might be close in age, it is even possible that they may have lived in this area a long time ago and even possible that they might have known each other, but basing it on the idea that he calls someone else a name that might be similar to a another name (despite having different pronunciations) that is not even confirmed yet is a bit of a stretch in my book. 

b: He doesn't even seem to care that he got Masumi's name wrong in the first place, and doesn't even apologize and then calls her the same name again. Most likely there is another reason he called Masumi that name and it may be related to something from his life or to another customer that is unrelated.

(separate from above)

4. Its unlikely that Mystery Girl is currently a regular customer at the ramen shop. She seems to be pretty hell-bent on staying out of sight of most people. Plus the implication that Masumi, a regular, always takes food home with her would imply that the Mystery Girl would never need to leave her room in order to get food. 

You do know I went back on this, right? No offense taken.  ^_^

You do know I went back on this, right? No offense taken.  ^_^

I just wanted to post it to make sure that it gets posted on this thread. 

Since Shuichi's in the FBI, connections to it must supercede ones to MI6, else Shuichi would be in MI6.

Really looking like MG's name is Mary, with that name embroidered on Masumi's handkerchief... else, Masumi is a fake name and Mary is her real name. Shinichi/Conan knows the name, though.

copy pasta from the DCTP thread for this case.

"Mary" is the name that fit the AC hint, it was "Mari" that didn't fit which was what Oguro was calling Masumi. 
According to the japanese language spoilers "Mary" with a Y was written in english on a handkerchief and Oguro
was calling Masumi that "Mari" name because of that. (which means that he doesn't know how to pronounce it properly in Japanese)
The side bar at the end of the chapter supposedly has the name written correctly in Japanese. 

Its all Oguro's fault for saying the wrong name. Last time when I was trying to tell people that "Mari" and "Mary" are not the
same name, that still stands. But now that we know that he was actually meaning "Mary" and not what he was saying out loud
we can actually make the connection that so many people were trying to make last time. between the names.

Well, so it is widely believed that MG is the Akai family's mother. I don't know how Japanese people normally talk to their mothers but I think they often say oka-san or something like that, which Sera never uses. Let's say  she IS the mother and told Sera not to call her mother to be safe, even then I wonder they interact how a normal mother and daughter would. I am not questioning that theory, in fact even i believe MG is the mother because she is too intelligent for her age, also, Sera kind of asks for MG's "permission" to introduce her to Conan, so she is perhaps older than Sera in reality. Something I really don't get is how did she shrink. Most people in this poll believe that she consumed APTX 4869, but how? When Ai first came, she said everyone except Shinichi has been confirmed to have died after taking the poison. I also don't think Gin and the rest used it in her absence. Even if they did, why would they use it on her? Is she some sort of spy? She probably isn't a part of FBI, they have never mentioned her. Probably not even CIA. Would make sense however if she is from MI6 and her relationship with Elena might be probable. She is very likely a spy because she quite easily found out the bug Conan placed in their hotel room, and also an important one because the BO used APTX 4869 on her (that is however, only if they did use it). I kind of hope that she is not from MI6 because that would complicate the plot too much. I mean FBI and CIA are enough already. Gosho also said somewhere that Sera was not originally a part of his plan, so I wonder if any Akai except Shuuichi are at all a part of the BO plot.

I personally think Gosho should move on to RUM. There has been nothing new for a long time, Bourbon's identity, Okiya's identity and Shuuichi's death, and also Akai's middle brother's identity were fairly predictable and also the plot developments are moving too slow. I really wish we at least get something more about RUM.

I personally think Gosho should move on to RUM. There has been nothing new for a long time, Bourbon's identity, Okiya's identity and Shuuichi's death, and also Akai's middle brother's identity were fairly predictable and also the plot developments are moving too slow. I really wish we at least get something more about RUM.

It took seven years for Subaru to be revealed as Shuichi—I think that's Gosho's limit for putting the answers to questions on hold.

It's a 21-year-old plot—of course it's slow. No one wants that, but that's what Gosho's doing. He's choosing to let the middle brother and MG questions remain unanswered. Given that Rum is the Boss' #2, we're getting close to the top, in terms of BO members—Gosho could introduce more high ranking members, but the fact that we're in an arc about the second-in-command of the BO means we may finally get some major developments, or, at least, bring us closer to the end. I'm hoping it will—really, that's all we can do.

We have moved on from Bourbon to Rum—we just have so little info... it was like this when the Bourbon arc started, and speculation abounded about who Bourbon was.

Well, so it is widely believed that MG is the Akai family's mother. I don't know how Japanese people normally talk to their mothers but I think they often say oka-san or something like that, which Sera never uses. Let's say  she IS the mother and told Sera not to call her mother to be safe, even then I wonder they interact how a normal mother and daughter would. I am not questioning that theory, in fact even i believe MG is the mother because she is too intelligent for her age, also, Sera kind of asks for MG's "permission" to introduce her to Conan, so she is perhaps older than Sera in reality. Something I really don't get is how did she shrink. Most people in this poll believe that she consumed APTX 4869, but how? When Ai first came, she said everyone except Shinichi has been confirmed to have died after taking the poison. I also don't think Gin and the rest used it in her absence. Even if they did, why would they use it on her? Is she some sort of spy? She probably isn't a part of FBI, they have never mentioned her. Probably not even CIA. Would make sense however if she is from MI6 and her relationship with Elena might be probable. She is very likely a spy because she quite easily found out the bug Conan placed in their hotel room, and also an important one because the BO used APTX 4869 on her (that is however, only if they did use it). I kind of hope that she is not from MI6 because that would complicate the plot too much. I mean FBI and CIA are enough already. Gosho also said somewhere that Sera was not originally a part of his plan, so I wonder if any Akai except Shuuichi are at all a part of the BO plot.

Well, of course she wouldn't call her mom because that would pretty much confirm it, but the way they interact is hinting that at least she is older than Sera, as for how she consumed the APTX4869, that is still one thing we don't know, however, there are a few small hints that she is the sister of Elena Miyano, so that might be how she got it, it might not be from the BO, as for the MI6, I have a feeling Gosho wants to introduce them, why have Rei mention them if they weren't going to be part of the plot later on? And England is becoming more and more important, so I'm pretty sure this is what Gosho wants.

I posted this in reply to a PM, but I thought it would be useful here.

There are pretty much two lines of thought on how Mrs. Mary Sera nee Akai nee Sera deaged into a middle-school body. One is Shiho's APTX 4869 was applied recently. The other is an older drug like Silver Bullet was used on her a longer time ago.
If her shrinking condition is older, then it would need more explanation because the rest of the BO minus Vermouth behaves like shrinking isn't currently possible. That old fart Pisco kept up with the Miyanos and acted like APTX4869's deaging affect was a new thing that Shiho developed recently when he saw it in action. On the other hand, we know Vermouth wasn't minted recently, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that Silver Bullet or the hypothetical drug that predated it was responsible. I think we definitely can assume that, whatever happened, Mary had a Little Lamb had an adult body when she conceived Masumi, giving an upper time bound of 16-17 years ago for her extreme weightloss.

All things considered, it's unlikely the rank and file BO executives like Gin know about shrinking. That leaves a few possibilities for how sudden negative mass happened.
One is that Miss Mary Mack was targeted for death and drugged like Conan and left alone to die. Canary Mary might have got it because she was the wife of Papa Akai, or because she is/was a spy for MI6, or because she was the sister of Elena Miyano.
The other possibility that comes to mind is she was involved in the "accident" the Miyanos knew were coming that vanished the both of them. Let's say Elena and Mary were involved with MI6 as many have speculated. Elena and Atsushi were ready to flounce from the Organization because they had a second kid, a breakthrough on their drug, and wanted a more colorful wardrobe. MI6 prepared a fake accident that accidentally became a real accident and Silver Bullet accidentally sprayed everywhere accidentally. Mary Sue got caught up in it and was cursed to retake sixth grade, permanently.

Despite these hypotheses, at this point, there is no firm evidence yet to differentiate between the two drugs and time frames or explain why a shrinking drug was involved in the first place. The only hint on when Mary Poppins might have been shrunk came at the end of the completely ridiculous pool case. (Seriously that case's trick was so forced.) Ran commented about remembering the unknown child from long ago around the time she met Sera. That would about 10-12 years in the past, a lower bound for HMS Queen Mary's age jettison. "That girl too, I feel like I previously [met]" (ref 905pg16) The problem is that you can validly argue Ran is conflating Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary with memories of Masumi since they look alike.

Rum is a likely suspect for some part in all of this because it is his arc, but there are no guarantees.

• Upvote 2