Detective Conan World
Maurice

Finances + Helping DCW :)

Hello everyone,

This is a post I've been meaning to do for a long time now but never really got around to doing it. I was also on vacations for a while and only came back this week-end. The goal of this post is to expose a bit the "behind-the-scenes" of DCW and be as open as possible regarding the finances of the site and servers. In a way, I would like to sensibilize the community about the resources and money it takes to maintain DCW and keep it running day after day. I'm not sure if you all remember the events of January of this year when the site had some major issues and I've had to make many updates (and upgrades) to put it back up (better, safer and stronger)? If not, see the posts made here: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/4298-forum-and-wiki-maintenance/ and http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/4357-forum-and-wiki-upgradeupdates/

Besides the software upgrades at the time, I also upgraded the resources used by DCW (due mainly to the increasing traffic of visitors to the site). I also currently pay a third-party service to regularly scan, detect and prevent attacks and potential exploits as they appear.

The bill has now come to around $150 per month for a web server and a separate database server + about $10 a month for the security service I just mentioned. This is quite a substantial amount of money in the end (about $1900 a year out of my pocket..). And with $150 a month already, I believe at this point we could eventually push it a little more to reach our dream of getting a dedicated server that we can fully use and benefit from, resources-wise, without any (or barely any) restrictions (i.e. more bandwidth, more memory, more CPU). We should consider at least $200 for a good decent server.

This is why I was hoping this post would let you know more about the situation and our priorities and where you could eventually help out in reaching our goal of getting a stable dedicated server as well as helping build the number 1 Detective Conan resource on the web! I would like to thank everyone who donated so far! It's very awesome of you and I am really grateful for the help! :) It really does help in paying the bills every month. If I make an average of the amount of donations per month and how much they help out I would say that they represent about 5% of the monthly fees. On the long-term, it would be amazing if the server could become self-sustaining with everyone's effort and help!

So, even if it's just a little bit, any help is appreciated! Even $1 would be great! :D Thank you!

Some benefits of becoming a donator:

- Member of the "Donators" forum group (if you want to). By doing so, you'll let others know of your dedication and support to DCW

- No more ads on the forum

- The profile page can be customized a bit

- More messages allowed in the inbox

- If you have more ideas or suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Thank you for your contributions and continued support! Always greatly appreciated! :)

Maurice

• Upvote 13

Hello everyone,

This is a post I've been meaning to do for a long time now but never really got around to doing it. I was also on vacations for a while and only came back this week-end. The goal of this post is to expose a bit the "behind-the-scenes" of DCW and be as open as possible regarding the finances of the site and servers. In a way, I would like to sensibilize the community about the resources and money it takes to maintain DCW and keep it running day after day. I'm not sure if you all remember the events of January of this year when the site had some major issues and I've had to make many updates (and upgrades) to put it back up (better, safer and stronger)? If not, see the posts made here: http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/4298-forum-and-wiki-maintenance/ and http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/4357-forum-and-wiki-upgradeupdates/
Besides the software upgrades at the time, I also upgraded the resources used by DCW (due mainly to the increasing traffic of visitors to the site). I also currently pay a third-party service to regularly scan, detect and prevent attacks and potential exploits as they appear.

The bill has now come to around $150 per month for a web server and a separate database server + about $10 a month for the security service I just mentioned. This is quite a substantial amount of money in the end (about $1900 a year out of my pocket..). And with $150 a month already, I believe at this point we could eventually push it a little more to reach our dream of getting a dedicated server that we can fully use and benefit from, resources-wise, without any (or barely any) restrictions (i.e. more bandwidth, more memory, more CPU). We should consider at least $200 for a good decent server.

This is why I was hoping this post would let you know more about the situation and our priorities and where you could eventually help out in reaching our goal of getting a stable dedicated server as well as helping build the number 1 Detective Conan resource on the web! I would like to thank everyone who donated so far! It's very awesome of you and I am really grateful for the help! :) It really does help in paying the bills every month. If I make an average of the amount of donations per month and how much they help out I would say that they represent about 5% of the monthly fees. On the long-term, it would be amazing if the server could become self-sustaining with everyone's effort and help!

So, even if it's just a little bit, any help is appreciated! Even $1 would be great! :D Thank you!

Some benefits of becoming a donator:

- Member of the "Donators" forum group (if you want to). By doing so, you'll let others know of your dedication and support to DCW
- No more ads on the forum
- The profile page can be customized a bit
- More messages allowed in the inbox
- If you have more ideas or suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know. :)

Thank you for your contributions and continued support! Always greatly appreciated! :)

Maurice

I could help. But is must use Dollar?

I could help. But is must use Dollar?

If you donate with Paypal (using your Paypal balance or just your credit card - i.e. without creating an account), you can do so in any currency you want. Paypal will automatically convert it for you in dollars. :)

• Upvote 1

Hey everyone.

Just wanna share my thoughts for those who are also willing to donate, but somehow shy of the amount that they will donate since it's just a small amount:

It's been almost 4 years since I joined this site. DCW is the first ever DC forum that I've became a member of. I was able to make some friends here and we've had fun hanging out here (dunno if those friends of mine still remember me. :V). It was also because of this site that I discovered Detective Conan Translation Project (DCTP), the group that continued subbing DC in great quality (Yep, that's how outdated I was on the DC fandom during those times. :V). After that, I've also decided to join DCTP forums, and had more friends. Because of those awesome events, although I'm not that active here anymore due to my job (I started working this January) , I'm eternally grateful to DCW for making the Detective Conan-side of my life awesome. :)

To show my gratitude, I've recently donated US$ 3.00 to DCW. Yes, it's just a small amount for those people who lives outside America, but every single dollar is significant to them. So, I know that for the amount that I donated, it'll help Maurice a lot to pay the fees for keeping this site running.

So, if I were you, I'd donate to this site, even if it's only $1. Imagine this: If a lot of people would donate $1 each per month, the total amount from those donations could be enough to pay for a dedicated server. :)

• Upvote 2

OK lol don't want to spam here :P But they're different ATM is the one for storing and withdrawing money while Credit Card is for money loaning

But we are doing this !! :P

Oh,so I do now how to use ATM card \o/ :P

But I can't use ATM card here >__<

22 hours ago, ObsGryphon said:

Do you guys still need funds?

Yes, you're always welcome to help out with the server fees. Any help is greatly appreciated. :)