Detective Conan World
Shinxran9111

Kudo Shinichi or Sherlock Holmes? Which is better?

Well, they're both fictional. But I think I like Kudo Shinichi more than Sherlock Holmes. Cause they gave him more of a background and a life you know? And about all of the little problems he faced. And of course drama, and comedy, and mystery mixed in. But that's just my opinion. Tell me what you guys think ;)

• Upvote 2

Well, they're both fictional. But I think I like Kudo Shinichi more than Sherlock Holmes. Cause they gave him more of a background and a life you know? And about all of the little problems he faced. And of course drama, and comedy, and mystery mixed in. But that's just my opinion. Tell me what you guys think ;)

KUDOU SHINICHI! Sherlock Holmes is popular enough.... TIME FOR THE HEISEI HOLMES TO TAKE OVER! ^_^

(Oh, you might want to check your profile feed on your profile page. :D)

• Upvote 2

Sherlock Holmes is better, because he is more mature in his view on criminals: there have been cases in which he let them go because he understood that by putting them in jail he will only create monsters, while otherwise they would be too scared of committing crimes again. Also, Shinichi doesn't acknowledge the juridical concept of "extenuating circumstances". He never even says he is sorry for the murderer's situation even when the victim had exterminated their family, and this does in no way make him look as a good person. On the other hand, I trust Ran's judgement about his character, meaning that if Shinichi hadn't good in him, I doubt she would have fallen in love with him, but still, Sherlock Holmes is better in my opinion.

Sherlock Holmes is better, because he is more mature in his view on criminals: there have been cases in which he let them go because he understood that by putting them in jail he will only create monsters, while otherwise they would be too scared of committing crimes again. Also, Shinichi doesn't acknowledge the juridical concept of "extenuating circumstances". He never even says he is sorry for the murderer's situation even when the victim had exterminated their family, and this does in no way make him look as a good person. On the other hand, I trust Ran's judgement about his character, meaning that if Shinichi hadn't good in him, I doubt she would have fallen in love with him, but still, Sherlock Holmes is better in my opinion.

Mmmmm.... You make an excellent point.... But Shinichi should take over.... Because we are in DCW! ^_^

I like to read Sherlock Holmes, too, way before I saw Conan.

Seriously? You think not having someone arrested because they "won't commit another crime" is a good idea?!?!

Also, Kudo doesn't have to care about extenuating circumstances. You used the key word but are completely ignoring its meaning. Kudo isn't a jury. His job is to reveal the truth, and that's it. Kudo doesn't decide whether or not whatever happened was right or wrong (although he often does chime in on this, spoiler alert: murdering is bad), he doesn't arrest people, he doesn't try people, he doesn't convict people. It's up to the police and DA (or whatever Japan's equivalent is) to determine if someone is in the wrong and should be arrested. Then it's up the jury to decide whether or not this person should be convicted.

Seriously? You think not having someone arrested because they "won't commit another crime" is a good idea?!?!

Also, Kudo doesn't have to care about extenuating circumstances. You used the key word but are completely ignoring its meaning. Kudo isn't a jury. His job is to reveal the truth, and that's it. Kudo doesn't decide whether or not whatever happened was right or wrong (although he often does chime in on this, spoiler alert: murdering is bad), he doesn't arrest people, he doesn't try people, he doesn't convict people. It's up to the police and DA (or whatever Japan's equivalent is) to determine if someone is in the wrong and should be arrested. Then it's up the jury to decide whether or not this person should be convicted.

What you are saying is just dry logic, while I also consider the emotional aspect of the story. Most of the cases in Detective Conan are quite tear-jerking, and not caring about the sufferings of people who became criminals OUT OF DESPAIR shows Conan in a bad light. You can send them to jail, but at least have the decency to admit that people who lost their dear ones deserve compassion at least from the human point of view, if not the judiciary one. Don't know about you, but I personally am sorry even for a mafia boss who cries when his brother has been murdered. That doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished for his own crimes, but that doesn't nullify the fact that criminals are still living beings who often have good in them (at least they surely do in DC). I am sure it's not casual that in DC the victims are always much worse than the murderers.

As for "murdering is bad", this should be applied to the victims in the first place, since it's always them who start the whole matter by killing innocent friends or relatives of the "avenger". Judging "avengers" too harshly would be disrespectful towards the memory of people whom the so-called "victims" have brutally murdered.

And yes, if there is a guarantee that the criminal won't commit another crime if not imprisoned and will become a repeat offender if imprisoned, then it's surely better to let him go because the security of society is MUCH more important than punishment just for the sake of it. Of course, such cases are very rare in real life, but we are talking about fiction.

Also, not caring about people's sufferings and extenuating circumstances just because "you don't have to" and "it's not your job" is quite egoistic. Prove me wrong if you can.

If you think there is nothing wrong with being egoistic, then I understand you (but not agree with you). But if not, then please explain.

Anyway, in all honesty, I am really saddened some people are able to remain emotionless when they see somebody who cries because of the loss of his/her dear ones because of the actions of the so-called "victim". If we are against murder, it doesn't mean we should kill natural human emotions in us. It's really depressing that people don't have pity for anybody nowadays.  :(

Easy- Sherlock. I've never been a fan of Shinichi. He annoys me. Sherlock is not only better at his job because he has more experience and he's, for lack of a better word, more intelligent, but he's a lot easier for me to like.

Sherlock all the way- ALL THE WAY.

Hercule Poirot beats both xP

His reliance on psychology and human behavior made him more fun to me, where Holmes simply observed clues that happened to point to the criminal. Poirot actually points this out in one of the books, though I don't recall which, I think it may have been Cards on the Table. Shinichi knows how tricks are done every time, and Holmes has the constant enemy of Moriarty, but they doesn't give it the excitement of Poirot's deductions and last minute escapes. Hercule is far more human in thought processes, and more realistic in actions than they.

In the same manner, my favorite modern popular culture detective is Adrian Monk, who has quite a few issues and quirks, though quite a few episodes were too easy to figure out and predictable~

Well, no one can deny that Sherlock Holmes is the greatest detective the world has ever known, but Shinichi is more appropriate for our times and who knows maybe without Sherlock Shinichi and others wouldn't appear. ^_^  ^_^ 268px-Conan_as_Sherlock_Holmes.PNG

I like Heiji the best! But out of Holmes and Shinichi, I choose Shinichi. 

Am I the only person who can't understand what Holmes is trying to say? I mean, I really don't understand "old-timey" talk.

Are we talking about their detective skills or the characters themselves? 

Well when it comes to detective, Holmes is obviously better. I mean he already knows like everything about his customers before they say anything at all, that's just insane. Or he even guessed once what Watson was thinking while John was reading the newspaper, LOL. Second a prodigious sense of observation. And finally not to mention, Holmes has an extroardinary memory and a perfect sense of deduction. So Shinichi is also great but Holmes is greater, hands down.

As for the character, I'll go with Shinichi. He has first unlike Sherlock a background story, and I really love his relationship with Ran, and his friendship with Heiji. Holmes is antisocial, on drugs, and finally misogynist. Shinichi is just more "human", and thus that makes him a more reliable character in my opinion.

So as I consider the character him/herself more important, I'll go with Shinichi. And also I love DC more :P !

There are a lot of ways to approach this.

You could compare, as works, the original Sherlock Holmes stories and Detective Conan.

Looking at that, I will simply say that SH is one of the masters that established the field.  Not only is it better known, it is is a true cultural icon.  Even people that don't read mysteries know who Sherlock Holmes is.   DC simply isn't as well established, and probably never will be.  A century from know Sherlock will still be a household word that invariably refers to the Great Detective, while Kudo will be just another Japanese name, and Conan will bring to mind the barbarian.

That being said, in some ways, DC is more advanced as detective fiction, having the benefit of an author that is clearly as well informed about the many developments of the field since the time of Sherlock.  In other ways, it is worse as detective fiction, because it depends too much on impossible technologies like drugs that can shrink people, perfect masks that can be applied almost instantly, a voice changer bowtie that defies physics.  Not to mention that everyone seems willing to believe that someone can perfectly articulate a complicate deduction without ever opening their mouth.  

Too many of the Detective Conan cases also are solved within a matter of hours of in-universe time.  In most detective literature, the Great Detective spends days, weeks, and even months on the case.  This is far more realistic.  

So in a way, Kudo could be considered better than Sherlock as a detective because he on average seems to solve his cases quicker.  He also has had more recorded cases so far in the manga, which spans less than a year of his life, than Sherlock Holmes had in all of the years that Doyle published the original stories.

Then again, maybe that is just because Holmes never bothered to write up all the short cases that were solved in a few hours, or Sherlock refused to take cases that he knew he could have solved so quickly.  Sherlock, unlike Conan, did not have dead bodies turning up every time he crossed the street.  He only took cases that people brought to him, and was selective about those.

Also, as an aside, I'd like to point out that Moriarity was not Sherlock's "constant" enemy.  In fact, he appeared in none of the cases until the story in which he was intended to kill off Sherlock, and was never mentioned again after Sherlock first reappeared.  The notion that the two had many battles in the past was invented just for that story, leaving many readers latter with the false impression that Sherlock vs. Moriarty was one of the driving forces of the whole Sherlock Holmes canon.

In regards to the conversation about letting killers off:  

Keep in mind that under the British justice system at the time, being a murderer, no matter the reason, almost always meant you would be executed.  Sherlock was sending most of those killers to die.

In Detective Conan, under the modern Japanese justice system, there are options for lesser punishments.  In fact, there are some episodes where comments are made to the effect that the killer will have the chance to start their lives over once they get out of prison.   There is also at least one episode where someone (Kogoro I think) recommended Eri as a defense lawyer to that the sympathetic criminal. There were also times that Kudo told criminals that if they turn themselves in, Japanese law allows for a reduced sentence.

Therefor, I don't think that Kudo is blind to the injustices suffered by the criminals.  I think he simply believes that detective under modern jurisprudence is not to weigh the extenuating circumstances.  That is up to the prosecutor, the  jury and the judge, who retain the option to pass out the minimum sentence.  Prosecutors and judges can also allow people to plea bargin. 

That being said, Kudo has been very generous on several occasions by allowing people that have commited the crime of attempted murder or conspiracy to murder to go free if the victim didn't actually die.

Another point of comparison:  As people, Kudo is a lot more pleasant, or at least he is nicer after he has been brought down to size a bit, so to speak.  Sherlock tended to be arrogant and anti-social.  He was also a drug user, which must be hard for Kudo to reconcile in his worship of all thinks Holmes related.

• Upvote 2

Keep in mind that under the British justice system at the time, being a murderer, no matter the reason, almost always meant you would be executed.  Sherlock was sending most of those killers to die.

But the colonel Sebastian Moran wasn't executed, I think in a short story Holmes said to a client that “If your man is more dangerous than the late professor Moriarty ot than the living Colonel Sebastian Moran, then he is indeed worth meeting.” So this means Moran wasn't executed, or does this mean he was acquitted?

I find this funny. It's like who's better? The master or the learner? Of course the master, without him, the learner won't be even there. And Kudo is pretty much using Holmesian Deduction.

So easy, I'll go for Sherlock. No contest.

As a vivid fan of both characters, I'd say Sherlock Holmes. And not just because I read all of his stories more than 59 times, but it is also because he is the forefather of all fictional detectives..Think about it like this, without Holmes there wouldn't be DC at all...since DC is inspired by SH....Though after SH my favorite is Kudo Shinichi, but then  again this is my opinion..

As a vivid fan of both characters, I'd say Sherlock Holmes. And not just because I read all of his stories more than 59 times, but it is also because he is the forefather of all fictional detectives..Think about it like this, without Holmes there wouldn't be DC at all...since DC is inspired by SH....Though after SH my favorite is Kudo Shinichi, but then  again this is my opinion..

That's like saying Explorer is better than Chrome because it came before Chrome.

I'm not going to take a firm stance on this issue since this topic can be argued effectively both ways.

Holmes might be better in that he's the more realistic detective.

Shinichi might be better in that he solves cases at a much faster rate.

It all depends on preference, really.

Doesn't Sherlock try to avoid learn things that he considers to be useless to his work as a detective ? He didn't know that the earth orbits the sun, and when Watson told him he made sure he forgot it. On the other hand Shinichi/Conan has knowledge about practically anything, this allows him a wide range of action.

That's like saying Explorer is better than Chrome because it came before Chrome.

I'm not going to take a firm stance on this issue since this topic can be argued effectively both ways.

Holmes might be better in that he's the more realistic detective.

Shinichi might be better in that he solves cases at a much faster rate.

It all depends on preference, really.

Basically this.