Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Osaka Detective

Has Jodie 'regressed'?

Has Jodie 'regressed'?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Did Jodie take a turn for the worse?

• Yes, she is getting less competent as time goes on.
    • Not really, she's still the same to me.
    • No, and she's getting more competent. R u crazy?

Do you think Jodie regressed in character competence. In her introduction, she actually gave me a Vermouth vibe, and shown to be competent, though not completely overpowered like Akai. Like, she actually looked like a threat to the organization during the Vermouth and Kir Arc.

However, as she appears after clash of red and black, I feel that she isnt the same awesome, competent, speedy, dangerous FBI English teacher anymore. I feel that she just lost her awesomeness after Akai 'died'. The newest manga chapter made me feel that way even more. I'm curious on what you all think. My brother sort of agrees with me :3

• Upvote 2

Well to be fair, of course she'd lose a spring in her step after Shuu died.

But yes, in general I stand by my theory on the podcast. When Gosho has "new toy syndrome", and loses interest in characters he used to be interested in, this is the kind of stuff that happens. He doesn't write her the way he used to because he just plain out doesn't want to write her, hence her character looks and acts a little too different.

Jodie was extremely out of character stupid in this case. Gosho basically made her into an idiot to force the plot forward in an extremely awkward way.

People try to blame the severe lapse of judgement on her emotional distress from Shuu's death, but her actions were too over the top dumb compared with how she acted before. Jodie's previous Akai-related stupid moves, like chasing Scar Akai blindly, were believable because she was in situations directly involving someone she thought might be Akai and she had no time to think about what to do. Even though she lost her composure around Scar Akai, Jodie didn't completely lose her mind during the unrelated case/hostage crisis events. This way, Jodie's portrayal was balanced between an having an emotional crisis and maintaining the skill she showed in the Vermouth and Kir arcs.

But now, she is unbalanced. Jodie just completely spilled out highly confidential Black Org related details to a random stranger in an uncharacteristic fashion because the guy talked to her. Jodie wasn't in a split second decision situation where bad decisions typically happen because of high pressure. She was at a flower-viewing shrine and about to meet Conan to discuss confidential info. Vermouth knows about Conan, and Jodie knows Vermouth knows about Conan. Vermouth can bug/stalk people very effectively. This is the sort of scenario when Jodie should be most on her toes.

Emotional distress from Shuu's death currently feels like a bad excuse for Jodie to give insider info to Bourbon to progress the plot. Jodie is a strong woman who confronted the killer who murdered her beloved parents without losing her head, and Vermouth got away on top of it. That didn't phase Jodie. It was just Conan's words this time, after the fact Akai is dead has had quite a while to sink in. Furthermore, she is an FBI agent in a covert job where death in the line of duty is likely.

It would have made a lot more sense if Gosho had written the conversation between Jodie and Bourbon in 850 pgs 9 and 10 to be between Conan and Jodie instead with Bourbon or Vermouth listening in. It seems like the only point was to have Jodie give Bourbon a business card, something which could have been written to happen on page 7 instead.

Sato and Eri seem to be the only hopes left for strong female leads. Gosho keeps nerfing them into damsels to be rescued by super cool detectives...

• Upvote 5

I quote Chekhov MacGuffin he's right >.<

Other than the fact that this name can be found in a dictionary, Chek's a girl :P

Well I think that part in the begining was just to make the audience belive she was Vermouth or a part of the BO but now she's needed for a different purpose which is to assist the storyline by being a bit "clueless". Also Akai's death might have something to do with her being a bit weak. 

It wasn't just Akai dying that probably made Jodie a little less herself. Remember she and Akai used to be involved romantically so his death must have made a larger impact on her than most FBI agents.

Also she was the one who saw Scar Akai first leading her to believe that the real Akai was still alive and then she find out it wasn't him, but an imposter who was her major enemy. She got her hopes up after being told this by Conan, so I might take her a while to recover from the news.

I personally only liked her in the Vermouth arc,she was fantastic,but after that,I kinda lost interest on her...during the Kir arc I thought she relied too much on Akai and was in his shadow... now it became worse when she gave info to a perfect stranger (who was Bourbon in reality),so I join Chek's opinion.

• Upvote 1