Detective Conan World
DetectiveMan

Asking

why is the manga series takes long to go out in english? i waited for about a week or so and got none T_T after around 2 or so it came out... isnt manga's usually a week once? :(

What ALAKTORN says is true. As someone who is on the staff at DCTP, I know, probably more than most, the lengths that the staff goes through to keep bringing you the manga. We have real life to deal with, jobs and school. On top of that, translating Japanese isn't exactly easy. Then you have the cleaning and the editing and raw acquisition. Everything takes time, and we only want to provide the best possible scanlations. 

Also, since many fans don't realize this, Shonen Sunday is a big misnomer, since the magazine isn't actually released on Sunday. It is released on Wednesday. 

Finally... Sometimes there are breaks. Always check the end of the chapter to see which copy of Shonen Sunday it is coming out in. You can check the issue and date of release at websunday.

• Upvote 3

so you are telling me that my my translation process was kind of fast ??? 

You did like three volumes in 1.5 months. Fast and cool! :D

so you are telling me that my my translation process was kind of fast ???

Any way you look at it, you pretty much were translating like you had your arse on fire.

If you are a single person who is translating and writing it down, a normal rate would be 1-2 chapters a week for someone with normal time commitments, more if you are very fluent, and less if you are busy. If you are typesetting too, 1 chapter a week or less would be normal for a single person's work. If you are cleaning, translating, and typesetting as a single person, 1 chapter every two+ weeks seems like a decent pace. This is why people form teams to make fan translations of weekly manga. You need 3+ people on board to keep up. Those crazy guys who release a chapter of popular manga in a few hours literally have a mini-team for every one or two pages.

Some manga have more writing and more difficult terms than others. Bleach will go faster than Kindaichi. All above mentioned rates should be adjusted for that. DC is one of the harder mangas to translate because it is text heavy and full of technical terms. Also you have to be really precise for DC because mysteries depend on it; You can be looser with something like One Piece.

I agree that a mystery manga type is the hardest to translate 
but I think that the DC translating team are slow even for a mystery type 
and why would I be a looser with one piece ? 

I agree that a mystery manga type is the hardest to translate 

and why would I be a looser with one piece ? 

No no, not loser, looser! it means you can take it easy with one piece than with detective conan.

No no, not loser, looser! it means you can take it easy with one piece than with detective conan.

What the banana guy said. Translating looser means you don't have to spend time making everything semantically perfect. In one piece, it really won't make a difference to the overall plot whether Sanji got locked in a cabinet or a dresser and used "one-inch-kick" or a "super close range knee" to escape. (Blatantly made that up if you can't tell.) If it was Detective Conan, you might have to know the victim damaged his right big toe while attempting to break the hinges of the heavy pine dresser facing the kitchen.

I think that the DC translating team are slow even for a mystery type.

That's pretty much true. The translating team isn't that big, and most of the people working are adults with full-time university or jobs which cuts back on the free time quite a bit. Luckily they keep up better when something important is going on..

Please, feel free to translate DC if you are dissatisfied with DCTP :)

We do our best, but as Chek said, this is our last priority. It is a rather time consuming hobby. Having fans complain about our translating speed, or any of the like doesn't really help either. We always appreciate words of thanks, but unfortunately several complain, and have a sense of entitlement, which is unfounded. We translate DC because we are also fans. Many on the team can just read the raws straight without incident (even I can do that now, and I'm not that good at japanese), We choose to translate, typeset, QC, clean and edit, then release for all fans to read. We don't need to, rather we want to. We aim for the highest quality. I'm sure we could release quicker if we didn't make sure that every file was released with the utmost care and quality. 

Please understand that we may not be the quickest, but we always strive to be the best. 

tl;dr: Complaining never helps anyone. Please be patient. We do our best. :)

Please, feel free to translate DC if you are dissatisfied with DCTP :)

We do our best, but as Chek said, this is our last priority. It is a rather time consuming hobby. Having fans complain about our translating speed, or any of the like doesn't really help either. We always appreciate words of thanks, but unfortunately several complain, and have a sense of entitlement, which is unfounded. We translate DC because we are also fans. Many on the team can just read the raws straight without incident (even I can do that now, and I'm not that good at japanese), We choose to translate, typeset, QC, clean and edit, then release for all fans to read. We don't need to, rather we want to. We aim for the highest quality. I'm sure we could release quicker if we didn't make sure that every file was released with the utmost care and quality. 

Please understand that we may not be the quickest, but we always strive to be the best. 

tl;dr: Complaining never helps anyone. Please be patient. We do our best. :)

I am not saying that I will do better ( I also translated because it was kind of hobby to kill time I even stopped because I was bored to do it )  , but I thought that the team was like naruto ,one piece or bleach etc..... you know a big team and their main goal is to translate with no life 

and sometimes it is better to read 10 chapters instead of 1 , sometimes I stop reading for a month or a two so I can read as many chapters as I can, it is better 

so their is disadvantages and advantages 

Seems like an appropriate thread to note that Knightus mentioned that DCTP's regular weekly chapter translation might be ending sometime soon. No official announcements but in his words: "I'll be honest - after over 250 chapters, I think the group may have finally reached the point where weekly translation is no longer sustainable. Sorry if this news causes a panic. In the future, I imagine, we probably won't be able to do every single case. But, anyways, we're not announcing anything yet... might have more info in May (when the anime operation ends)."

• Upvote 2

I really appreciate the hard work that DCTP go through to translate my beloved manga series, especially that they are not obligated to do so and that they do it for free. 

However, it really will really break my heart if they decided to stop the translation because I don't understand Japanese at all, which means I have no way to continue reading DC except for the spoilers and so. 

What ALAKTORN says is true. As someone who is on the staff at DCTP, I know, probably more than most, the lengths that the staff goes through to keep bringing you the manga. We have real life to deal with, jobs and school. On top of that, translating Japanese isn't exactly easy. Then you have the cleaning and the editing and raw acquisition. Everything takes time, and we only want to provide the best possible scanlations. 

Also, since many fans don't realize this, Shonen Sunday is a big misnomer, since the magazine isn't actually released on Sunday. It is released on Wednesday. 

Finally... Sometimes there are breaks. Always check the end of the chapter to see which copy of Shonen Sunday it is coming out in. You can check the issue and date of release at websunday.

Kyuu-san, please communicate our deep appreciation to DCTP. And although it's hard to ask, can you please not stop the translation.  :(

I really appreciate the work the DCTP team is doing to translate the manga scans! It's wonderful that there are people who take time out of their hectic lives to translate the manga scans for us readers, even though they are not obliged to do it and translating Japanese IS taxing! TRUE DC FANS I MUST SAY :D

@Kyu nye- Please thank all the DCTP staff members from me for doing so much hard work! :D THANKS A LOT! :)

And yes, I hope that DCTP continues to translate manga scans.... I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to receive the translated files :)