Detective Conan World
Wicky

Desktop or Laptop?

Desktop or Laptop?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Desktop or laptop?

and if I need to connect to the internet I would need a 3 meter lan cable :V

You can solve that problem by getting a wireless router.

Maybe they do the work on laptops.

Well, that would be a bit ridiculous. What if someone couldn't afford one? And if there were such cases, there probably wouldn't be just one of them.

You're bringing your laptop to the school with you?

Yep. Can't live without it <3

Maybe they do the work on laptops.

We do. Most of the time. Except, like in...Algebra or something.

Well, that would be a bit ridiculous. What if someone couldn't afford one? And if there were such cases, there probably wouldn't be just one of them.

The school is the one that issues the laptops for us in the first place ^^;

You can solve that problem by getting a wireless router.

Well, it's USA we're talking about.

Yep. Can't live without it <3

That is very unfortunate.

The school is the one that issues the laptops for us in the first place ^^;

Give my regards to your school. And ask them to "write" me back when people start forgetting how to write.

Well, it's USA we're talking about.

Ah, I'll just give one comment on this: The more intelligent people are, the dumber others become because of them. Technology would be an example of that (excluding the ones that actually use it for what's it made).

Give my regards to your school. And ask them to "write" me back when people start forgetting how to write.

We're high-schoolers. Right now, we're all concerned with writing proper essays and analyzing pieces of literature, not handwriting and whatnot. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages, technology in schools included. The younger kids don't get laptops, if you're concerned about that.

I've seen these laptops benefit many students. They're helpful with research, they save paper by allowing us to email our assignments, makes it easier to access grades online, and many more things. Plus, it's not like we use them for every single thing. In fact, many of my peer's grades have improved thanks to them.

More popular entertainment sites and the like are all blocked, which makes it hard for the students to use it for more than education. As for the reason, I use it for accessing DCW during school hours, it's because there's nothing for me to do.

We're high-schoolers. Right now, we're all concerned with writing proper essays and analyzing pieces of literature, not handwriting and whatnot. Everything has its advantages and disadvantages, technology in schools included. The younger kids don't get laptops, if you're concerned about that.

I've seen these laptops benefit many students. They're helpful with research, they save paper by allowing us to email our assignments, makes it easier to access grades online, and many more things. Plus, it's not like we use them for every single thing. In fact, many of my peer's grades have improved thanks to them.

More popular entertainment sites and the like are all blocked, which makes it hard for the students to use it for more than education. As for the reason, I use it for accessing DCW during school hours, it's because there's nothing for me to do.

I know exactly what are the benefits, and what you're using it for. But that's what computer-equipped classes are for. Making you to bring your laptop every day at school is the same as telling you: "Get dependent of laptops and internet connection". Which, unfortunately, is happening world wide because this is the Internet era.

And I'm not talking literally about your generation. Newer generations are playing on computers instead of going out. If it continues like this, next will hold the laptops as their first toy.

I know exactly what are the benefits, and what you're using it for. But that's what computer-equipped classes are for. Making you to bring your laptop every day at school is the same as telling you: "Get dependent of laptops and internet connection". Which, unfortunately, is happening world wide because this is the Internet era.

And I'm not talking literally about your generation. Newer generations are playing on computers instead of going out. If it continues like this, next will hold the laptops as their first toy.

Really, my problem was with this: "Give my regards to your school. And ask them to "write" me back when people start forgetting how to write."

Sounded just a bit offensive.

Really, my problem was with this: "Give my regards to your school. And ask them to "write" me back when people start forgetting how to write."

Sounded just a bit offensive.

It should sound a bit offensive. But that's not your problem, it's their problem.

Laptop. Desktops are like... so... not portable. Like if I wanna use it to plug into my tv, I'll need a 3 meter long hdmi cable, and if I need to connect to the internet I would need a 3 meter lan cable :V

And I need a wireless hdmi too? :V

Sorry, I think I'm a little too outdated xD When I got my laptop, desktops still cannot connect wirelessly. And I have not seen anyone with a desktop or gone and earched for one in stalls for a long time, so I really didn't know that desktops can connect to wifi now >_<

But thinking about it, even my tv can use wireless if I bought a wireless adapter, so I could also have solved the problem this way... XD

Ah, I'll just give one comment on this: The more intelligent people are, the dumber others become because of them. Technology would be an example of that (excluding the ones that actually use it for what's it made).

Ah, I'm laughing so hard right now. The regards to the school about forgetting to write? More intelligent people create more dumb people? Dependency on computers is a bad thing. Ahaha, priceless.

First of all, what do you define as "writing"? I'm pretty sure Shakespeare wouldn't think a computer typing was writing, if he knew what a computer was. "Writing" is not simply the act of writing on paper. It is the communication of information through non-verbal speech. You're not forgetting to write if you overly use computers. I'm pretty sure I haven't written much in my life, but I can write essays and stories, no problems. But that's beside the point. You're not forgetting to write. You're doing it through a new medium.

Your comment about "more intelligent people are, the dumber others become" is just plain ridiculous. I don't see any correlation anywhere. There will always be smart people, and there will always be stupid people. It's just how the world is; we can't fix it; deal with it.

Bringing your laptop makes you dependent on computers and internet connections. I'm not completely sold on that. The typewriter hasn't replaced pen and paper (and neither has the computer, mind you, not yet), and movies, despite Edison's predictions, did not replace textbooks. People often presume that this "new technology" will soon take over another, older technology, and that is ultimately bad. However, history doesn't agree. It hasn't happened before, and it won't happen. Despite what you believe, we humans will keep following old trends that repeat over history. It's happened with civil rights: first came black males, then women, and now gay marriage.

But more importantly, even if the computer does overcome pen and paper, what is bad about that? I'll put an old argument forward: paper comes from trees. But more importantly, it's a new medium overcoming an older medium. The Internet allows communication at speeds previously unimaginable, which can't be duplicated through mail. It allows new ideas to take root and expand like they could not before. The Internet is better and more advanced to mail, and a similar example comes here with computers and writing. Obviously, typing is much quicker and easier than writing. As a writer, it's important to get down ideas, because they tend to be rather transient. The computer was a godsend for me and other writers, making writing easier. And that is what technology is all about: making lives easier.

You say that children are playing on laptops instead of playing outside. Well, first, I don't know where you live, but no, this is not completely the case. And yes, there is a gradual trend upwards of computer usage, but what do people tend to do on computers? Facebook. Social networks. Forums. Email. Online games. It's socializing without actually meeting. The jury is out on whether online interactions are worse than face-to-face interactions, but honestly, until there is evidence, this argument is invalid.

And what's wrong with being able to use laptops? Do you know that many grandparents don't know how to use a computer? My grandfather is excited because he can use the mouse, goddamn it. Our society is evolving towards a society that is more technologically integrated, and being able to use a computer is going to be as necessary as say, driving. This is because of mankind's pursuit of a more comfortable life for all, because easier typing and faster communication is always more comfortable. In fact, people that are hesitant towards new technology, critical of it, and cling to their typewriters, are our greatest enemies, for they are the most naive and unknowing about the world. They impede our progress as the human race. We can shut them up. Unfortunately, there will always be stupid people in the world, like I said.

A new world awaits us. Embrace technology, and move forward, ever forward. One day we will travel the greatest frontier, the black beyond, improve health and cure the illnesses that plague us, and yes, computers will be critical to this process. And we will trip, like we have in the past, but do not listen to the nagging voices that insist that the old ways are best, because they are not. We will learn from our mistakes and just grow further. Soon those nagging voices will quiet, and maybe once and for all.

• Upvote 8

It should sound a bit offensive. But that's not your problem, it's their problem.

It is kinda my problem. Seeing as how it's my school you're offending and I happen to be pretty proud of it.

Ah, I'm laughing so hard right now. The regards to the school about forgetting to write? More intelligent people create more dumb people? Dependency on computers is a bad thing. Ahaha, priceless.

First of all, what do you define as "writing"? I'm pretty sure Shakespeare wouldn't think a computer typing was writing, if he knew what a computer was. "Writing" is not simply the act of writing on paper. It is the communication of information through non-verbal speech. You're not forgetting to write if you overly use computers. I'm pretty sure I haven't written much in my life, but I can write essays and stories, no problems. But that's beside the point. You're not forgetting to write. You're doing it through a new medium.

Your comment about "more intelligent people are, the dumber others become" is just plain ridiculous. I don't see any correlation anywhere. There will always be smart people, and there will always be stupid people. It's just how the world is; we can't fix it; deal with it.

Bringing your laptop makes you dependent on computers and internet connections. I'm not completely sold on that. The typewriter hasn't replaced pen and paper (and neither has the computer, mind you, not yet), and movies, despite Edison's predictions, did not replace textbooks. People often presume that this "new technology" will soon take over another, older technology, and that is ultimately bad. However, history doesn't agree. It hasn't happened before, and it won't happen. Despite what you believe, we humans will keep following old trends that repeat over history. It's happened with civil rights: first came black males, then women, and now gay marriage.

But more importantly, even if the computer does overcome pen and paper, what is bad about that? I'll put an old argument forward: paper comes from trees. But more importantly, it's a new medium overcoming an older medium. The Internet allows communication at speeds previously unimaginable, which can't be duplicated through mail. It allows new ideas to take root and expand like they could not before. The Internet is better and more advanced to mail, and a similar example comes here with computers and writing. Obviously, typing is much quicker and easier than writing. As a writer, it's important to get down ideas, because they tend to be rather transient. The computer was a godsend for me and other writers, making writing easier. And that is what technology is all about: making lives easier.

You say that children are playing on laptops instead of playing outside. Well, first, I don't know where you live, but no, this is not completely the case. And yes, there is a gradual trend upwards of computer usage, but what do people tend to do on computers? Facebook. Social networks. Forums. Email. Online games. It's socializing without actually meeting. The jury is out on whether online interactions are worse than face-to-face interactions, but honestly, until there is evidence, this argument is invalid.

And what's wrong with being able to use laptops? Do you know that many grandparents don't know how to use a computer? My grandfather is excited because he can use the mouse, goddamn it. Our society is evolving towards a society that is more technologically integrated, and being able to use a computer is going to be as necessary as say, driving. This is because of mankind's pursuit of a more comfortable life for all, because easier typing and faster communication is always more comfortable. In fact, people that are hesitant towards new technology, critical of it, and cling to their typewriters, are our greatest enemies, for they are the most naive and unknowing about the world. They impede our progress as the human race. We can shut them up. Unfortunately, there will always be stupid people in the world, like I said.

A new world awaits us. Embrace technology, and move forward, ever forward. One day we will travel the greatest frontier, the black beyond, improve health and cure the illnesses that plague us, and yes, computers will be critical to this process. And we will trip, like we have in the past, but do not listen to the nagging voices that insist that the old ways are best, because they are not. We will learn from our mistakes and just grow further. Soon those nagging voices will quiet, and maybe once and for all.

Let's say that I'm honored to see you replying to my comment. And, back to the topic...

First of all, what do you define as "writing"?

You didn't get my point, or I just didn't write it well enough. I wasn't talking about the ability to make sentence. It's a common sense that you don't need to know how to write for that. You can make a sentence, essay or anything else even in your mind. I was talking about the physical ability to use your hand for writing letters.

That's why I said "dumber". People that were normal, will become dumb, and already dumb people will become even dumber, if it's even possible. Human's average intelligence level will get lower. And of course, I'm talking generally. Of course that that won't apply to the every person on this planet.

The typewriter hasn't replaced pen and paper (and neither has the computer, mind you, not yet), and movies, despite Edison's predictions, did not replace textbooks. People often presume that this "new technology" will soon take over another, older technology, and that is ultimately bad. However, history doesn't agree. It hasn't happened before, and it won't happen. Despite what you believe, we humans will keep following old trends that repeat over history.

I agree with that, but we've stopped using stones to make fire, for example. It may happen one day.

But more importantly, even if the computer does overcome pen and paper, what is bad about that?

As I've said, it is not bad for everyone. Every new piece of technology that gets made, is made for a good purpose. And people that use it for that purpose won't be affected. As you've said, there will always be dumb people. Those people are the ones I'm talking about. And there are more and more of them as the time passes. And what I've mentioned is one of the reasons. That's why it is bad. And I'm not saying that we should stop advancing because of that, I'm just trying to say that we should find a better way to fill the holes.

And by communicating over the internet more and more, they're losing the ability to communicate face-to-face, which may get critical at some point. To that scale where two persons would stand next to each-other, and instead of looking at each-other, they'd look at some little screens in front of them, and talk/write via it.

Again, nothing is wrong with advancing. And nothing is wrong with people getting used to the new things. What's wrong is using them on the wrong way. Which later turns into an abuse, which later turns into a habits, dependence, and way of living in the end. I don't like the picture of it, and that's why I made my argument.

It is kinda my problem. Seeing as how it's my school you're offending and I happen to be pretty proud of it.

If you can, please read what I wrote above this. Maybe you'll understand what I meant then. I'm not trying to convince you that what I'm saying is right, just hoping that you will understand my point of view.

• Upvote 1

Let's say that I'm honored to see you replying to my comment. And, back to the topic...

You were making a bit of a racket, so I decided to look. And whoo, I see a bunch of...stuff.

You didn't get my point, or I just didn't write it well enough. I wasn't talking about the ability to make sentence. It's a common sense that you don't need to know how to write for that. You can make a sentence, essay or anything else even in your mind. I was talking about the physical ability to use your hand for writing letters.

The physical ability to write will disappear, yes, when computers become dominant. However, in our evolving society, writing by hand may not become necessary anymore. As our society evolves, we discard knowledge we may not need. I'm pretty sure you couldn't figure out how many bushels of wheat a cart x by y by z can hold without looking it up. That's because we don't use carts, and that knowledge has become obsolete.

That's why I said "dumber". People that were normal, will become dumb, and already dumb people will become even dumber, if it's even possible. Human's average intelligence level will get lower. And of course, I'm talking generally. Of course that that won't apply to the every person on this planet.

Still no evidence. Still don't get you.

I agree with that, but we've stopped using stones to make fire, for example. It may happen one day.

Obsolete information. See above.

As I've said, it is not bad for everyone. Every new piece of technology that gets made, is made for a good purpose. And people that use it for that purpose won't be affected. As you've said, there will always be dumb people. Those people are the ones I'm talking about. And there are more and more of them as the time passes. And what I've mentioned is one of the reasons. That's why it is bad. And I'm not saying that we should stop advancing because of that, I'm just trying to say that we should find a better way to fill the holes.

Now I'm not sure how you define "dumb" people. I think "dumb" people as in the mentally unproficient, or, fine, stupid people. And uh, where's the reason you said you mentioned? All you said that there was dumb people, then you said that this group of people is your target, and there are more of them. That's just facts, the latter of which is probably true because we humans are getting more populous on the earth. But anyway, there is no reason here.

And by communicating over the internet more and more, they're losing the ability to communicate face-to-face, which may get critical at some point. To that scale where two persons would stand next to each-other, and instead of looking at each-other, they'd look at some little screens in front of them, and talk/write via it.

While this would make writing romantic stories a bit bland ("OMG I luv u txt bck), again, obsolete information is discarded as society advances.

Again, nothing is wrong with advancing. And nothing is wrong with people getting used to the new things. What's wrong is using them on the wrong way. Which later turns into an abuse, which later turns into a habits, dependence, and way of living in the end. I don't like the picture of it, and that's why I made my argument.

Now, when I think of using technology the wrong way, I think hacking, phishing, and stuff like that. All of which "dumb" people probably don't know how to do.

If you can, please read what I wrote above this. Maybe you'll understand what I meant then. I'm not trying to convince you that what I'm saying is right, just hoping that you will understand my point of view.

Ah, I see, I see. Insulting a school then putting an "apology". Didn't you learn when you called KKLT's profile picture gay?

You were making a bit of a racket, so I decided to look. And whoo, I see a bunch of...stuff.

I gave my personal opinion, as I usually do. Although my "racket" made a couple of interesting minutes to spare reading/writing. Well, at least for me.

And uh, where's the reason you said you mentioned?

Technology.

Now, when I think of using technology the wrong way, I think hacking, phishing, and stuff like that. All of which "dumb" people probably don't know how to do.

No, dumb people definitely wouldn't be able to do that. I was talking about a way that would destroy their life, instead of making it better.

Ah, I see, I see. Insulting a school then putting an "apology". Didn't you learn when you called KKLT's profile picture gay?

Why are you trying to make me look like I'm really doing so by writing that? I'm not apologizing to anyone right now because there's just no need to. I've wrote what I did so she could try and understand what I wanted to say. I didn't try to offend her, and my comment was written for her to understand that. And I'm not offending a school as the institute, I'm offending the mind that made it that way, and it solely. KKLT is totally irrelevant to this topic, so I'll refrain from saying anything about that, just so I could avoid more unnecessary writing, and distancing from the main topic.