Detective Conan World
Maurice

Forum and Wiki Maintenance

Hi all,

Following the recent events with the website warnings and all that, I'll be conducting a series of code checking and upgrading. The forum and wiki will eventually be updated to their latest versions (even though that could take some time). I'll update this post as soon as an update day and time is determined. Note that during the development and testing of the new version of the wiki, the latter may become unavailable at times because that version is built on top of a different version of PHP (i.e. scripting programming language commonly used for web development). Because of that, I have to switch back and forth between the different versions to perform the necessary tests and modifications. I apologize for the inconvenience. It shouldn't be as tricky for the next update since differences in PHP versions should not have such a big impact in the future.

I thank you for your patience! Hopefully, all this will make DCW much stronger and better! :)

Thank you for your support and have a good day!

Maurice

• Upvote 10

That's great to hear. Don't worry, I don't mind the upgrading process at all. :)

Well, it's better than letting the site get compromised by hackers.

Say, I have a question: Why don't you use HTTPS instead of HTTP? I think it'll make the site more secure than just relying solely on PHP for security. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :V )

HTTPS is mainly useful when transmitting sensitive information via forms for example. It would only really be useful when registering and/or logging in here. And I wouldn't add it to the wiki cause it would add a very slight overhead to each request and with high traffic this could add up (even Wikipedia doesn't use it).

But yeah, I've thought of adding it in the past for the forms here but the SSL certificate would cost something like $100 per year (more or less) and it's not as necessary/important for our needs.