Detective Conan World
Sign in to follow this  
Chekhov MacGuffin

Games during site outages

I heard that the administrators of a certain forum game were removing players for not posting on the thread while DCW was being blocked by some browsers for distributing malware. Forcing people to choose between the security of their computer (which may be used by multiple people) and a game is inappropriate. Next time, please use common sense and put the game on pause, start over, or try to arrange for the players to meet at a different website. If this happens again, I will lock the offending game's thread. DCW values its creative forum game playing community, but demanding that players go to a website that was distributing malware to keep playing is extremely irresponsible. It's no fun to have your computer full of viruses and your personal information stolen.

• Upvote 11

I heard that the administrators of a certain forum game were removing players for not posting on the thread while DCW was being blocked by some browsers for distributing malware. Forcing people to choose between the security of their computer (which may be used by multiple people) and a game is inappropriate. Next time, please use common sense and put the game on pause, start over, or try to arrange for the players to meet at a different website. If this happens again, I will lock the offending game's thread. DCW values its creative forum game playing community, but demanding that players go to a website that was distributing malware to keep playing is extremely irresponsible. It's no fun to have your computer full of viruses and your personal information stolen.

Well, how about 'Ramriez! (Insert silly request here)' and 'Stories Of...'? {Or shall I put the game on pause?}

Well, how about 'Ramriez! (Insert silly request here)' and 'Stories Of...'? {Or shall I put the game on pause?}

You are fine as long as you don't require people to play at DCW during an outage. If the people who decided to stay away from DCW can come back and get right back into playing without problem, it's okay, there is no need to pause.

(Incidentally, the only reason I am here right now is because the stats on the malware downloads indicate it stopped a couple days ago, and I heard it was a rogue script which I know how to block.)

(Incidentally, the only reason I am here right now is because the stats on the malware downloads indicate it stopped a couple days ago, and I heard it was a rogue script which I know how to block.)

That would be why I tried to update people via Twitter and Facebook about the situation as much as I could, but I guess it only works if people have those said social networks.

I second Chek's decision here. It is absolutely a shamfully dick move to remove players from a game when the site was being blocked by Google and FireFox (and at some points, shut down by Maurice) for malware issues. I would hope anyone who participated in such a decision would use better judgement in the near-future.